NFL - Tells AZ- No or Else

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: NFL - Tells AZ- No or Else

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

For every link you post, NMPL, I'm certain I can find one offering a different opinion.  I'd much prefer to talk football.

I know....But it's just so hard though trying to find an intelligent Liberal Think TankWink

My preference is to rely on the more objective (neither liberal nor conservative but actually neutral) sources.  Contrary to what many seem to think in this forum I am neither liberal nor conservative (man, I hate labels).  If I have to label myself as anything I would call myself a pragmatic centrist.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

For every link you post, NMPL, I'm certain I can find one offering a different opinion.  I'd much prefer to talk football.

I know....But it's just so hard though trying to find an intelligent Liberal Think TankWink

Just read Paul Krugman . . . 

that is is joke right???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Hmmm

The Gov of NM is against gay Marriage

Her hair dresser will no longer do her hair until she changes her mind.

Does the hair dresser have that right?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

that is is joke right???

Oh, that's right, Rush Limbaugh is way smarter than a Nobel Prize winning Princeton Economist.  I forget how good oxycontin is for the brain.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Nobel Prizes are on the same level as the prizes you can get in a Cracker Jack box, no more, no less. They hand them out for political reasons only.

Krugman is a really bad example. He is the champion of the boogie man is under the bed mentality. He preaches at the alter of if the sun fails to come out in the morning it's Bushes fault.

And to some degree I get that. However his biggest fault was after 911 he wrote it was America's fault that it happened.

You realize that outside of the looney kool aid drinkers circle he is a hated Man.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Nobel Prizes are on the same level as the prizes you can get in a Cracker Jack box, no more, no less. They hand them out for political reasons only.

Krugman is a really bad example. He is the champion of the boogie man is under the bed mentality. He preaches at the alter of if the sun fails to come out in the morning it's Bushes fault.

And to some degree I get that. However his biggest fault was after 911 he wrote it was America's fault that it happened.

You realize that outside of the looney kool aid drinkers circle he is a hated Man.

Oh dear.  This is why it's hard to take conservatives all that seriously. Sure a Nobel Prize and a Ph.D. in economics are really worthless compared to a radio talk show job.

I think you're confusing Krugman with Chomsky, by the way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Oh dear.  This is why it's hard to take conservatives all that seriously. Sure a Nobel Prize and a Ph.D. in economics are really worthless compared to a radio talk show job.

No it was Krugman....and yes Nobel Peace Prizes, over the last 20 years, are purely political and I'm OK with my Cracker Jack metaphor....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

No it was Krugman....and yes Nobel Peace Prizes, over the last 20 years, are purely political and I'm OK with my Cracker Jack metaphor....

Krugman's Nobel Prize is in economics.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Krugman, Obama. Any other Nobel Prize whiners you'd support? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

+10... remember Pro likes this country so much he is living in Canada. To bad Obama is not there. With the Toronto Mayor they could have a Manage' e tois [sp?]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

hmm

the last time I saw Krugman on TV he was going on some sort of rant on somethings and the conservative he was debateing pulled out some quote he had made, Krugman looked down and looked up with a big Chit eating grn on his face and said:

You got me!!

What ever krugman got his Noble for he has long since been a serious economist

And as far as Princeton goes ( which i live right next to) alot of our problems have been caused by Ivy league graduates.

Being supposedly smart doesnt make you wise!

And Krugman said we should have spent $10T? to get out of the great recession. Yeah like that would have worked -

There was no plan to spend it -  i am sure he would have found some union buddies or other cronies to give it to),

No one would have bought our bonds- including the FED

or unless the treasury printed the money straight out.

BTW - how come Romney and Palin understood what Putin is, and Ohole, HRC abd Kerry dont have a clue? RESET any one

Sorry - stupid is as stupid does - our great progressive leaders

Pro How do you believe any of these imposters?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

The NFL has become an extension of the State.

Jan Brewer has let Joe Apaio run amuck in Maricopa County so she no better now than before. It's all about the corporates.

From a Christian POV, it's wrong to deny goods and services to any group (1 Cor; Ch5).

That said, businesses have a fundamental right to be wrong, which is why I'm opposed to the private business section of the '64 Civil Rights Act.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

hmm

the last time I saw Krugman on TV he was going on some sort of rant on somethings and the conservative he was debateing pulled out some quote he had made, Krugman looked down and looked up with a big Chit eating grn on his face and said:

You got me!!

And as far as Princeton goes ( which i live right next to) alot of our problems have been caused by Ivy league graduates.

And Krugman said we should have spent $10T? to get out of the great recession. Yeah like that would have worked -

There was no plan to spend it -  i am sure he would have found some union buddies or other cronies to give it to),

BTW - how come Romney and Palin understood what Putin is, and Ohole, HRC abd Kerry dont have a clue? RESET any one

Wolf....that's the style!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

hmm

You got me!!

Wolf....that's the style!!!!!!

So...what would you do in the Ukraine now? Send in the 101 Airborne?....You want Palin to be President, heck, get her to run...I'd LOVE that match-up, Palin vs. Clinton...lmfao...even YOU knows who wins that race...

Dude, even loudmaouthed comitted conservative Joe the Plumber joined a union and is working in manufacturing...and no, he did not HAVE to join the union, nobody HAS to join a union...it's the law...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

National Debt -

Clinton was actually paying it down when he left office,

Largest tax increase in history.

It was needed to pay down the debt...the "VOODOO" ECONOMICS OF THE LAFFER CURVE DID NOT AND DO NOT WORK!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

NOT TO WORRY. Neville Chamberlin aka Obama will take care of everything including global warming and rising sea levels.  First the Rhineland, then the Sudetenland: now Syria and the Ukraine. Next is Israel.

So...what's your solution...be specific and don't say he has no sack...what would you do Mr. President?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Hmmm

Why doesn't the Gov. pick someone that WILL do her haior...doesn't that make more sense?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

hmm

You got me!!

Of course Palin is an expert on Putin.  She can see him from her porch.  Wink

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Paul Krugman responds . . . 

The Stimulus Tragedy

FEB. 20, 2014

Continue reading the main story

Paul Krugman

Continue reading the main story Share This Page

Continue reading the main story

Five years have passed since President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act — the “stimulus” — into law. With the passage of time, it has become clear that the act did a vast amount of good. It helped end the economy’s plunge; it created or saved millions of jobs; it left behind an important legacy of public and private investment.

It was also a political disaster. And the consequences of that political disaster — the perception that stimulus failed — have haunted economic policy ever since.

Let’s start with the good the stimulus did.

The case for stimulus was that we were suffering from a huge shortfall in overall spending, and that the hit to the economy from the financial crisis and the bursting of the housing bubble was so severe that the Federal Reserve, which normally fights recessions by cutting short-term interest rates, couldn’t overcome this slump on its own. The idea, then, was to provide a temporary boost both by having the government directly spend more and by using tax cuts and public aid to boost family incomes, inducing more private spending.

Opponents of stimulus argued vociferously that deficit spending would send interest rates skyrocketing,“crowding out” private spending. Proponents responded, however, that crowding out — a real issue when the economy is near full employment — wouldn’t happen in a deeply depressed economy, awash in excess capacity and excess savings. And stimulus supporters were right: far from soaring, interest rates fell to historic lows.

What about positive evidence for the benefits of stimulus? That’s trickier, because it’s hard to disentangle the effects of the Recovery Act from all the other things that were going on at the time. Nonetheless, most careful studies have found evidence of strong positive effects on employment and output.

Even more important, I’d argue, is the huge natural experiment Europe has provided on the effects of sharp changes in government spending. You see, some but not all members of the euro area, the group of countries sharing Europe’s common currency, were forced into imposing draconian fiscal austerity, that is, negative stimulus. If stimulus opponents had been right about the way the world works, these austerity programs wouldn’t have had severe adverse economic effects, because cuts in government spending would have been offset by rising private spending. In fact, austerity led to nasty, in some cases catastrophic, declines in output and employment. And private spending in countries imposing harsh austerity ended up falling instead of rising, amplifying the direct effects of government cutbacks.

All the evidence, then, points to substantial positive short-run effects from the Obama stimulus. And there were surely long-term benefits, too: big investments in everything from green energy to electronic medical records.

So why does everyone — or, to be more accurate, everyone except those who have seriously studied the issue — believe that the stimulus was a failure? Because the U.S. economy continued to perform poorly — not disastrously, but poorly — after the stimulus went into effect.

There’s no mystery about why: America was coping with the legacy of a giant housing bubble. Even now, housing has only partly recovered, while consumers are still held back by the huge debts they ran up during the bubble years. And the stimulus was both too small and too short-lived to overcome that dire legacy.

This is not, by the way, a case of making excuses after the fact. Regular readers know that I was more or less tearing my hair out in early 2009, warning that the Recovery Act was inadequate — and that by falling short, the act would end up discrediting the very idea of stimulus. And so it proved.

There’s a long-running debate over whether the Obama administration could have gotten more. The administration compounded the damage with excessively optimistic forecasts, based on the false premise that the economy would quickly bounce back once confidence in the financial system was restored.

But that’s all water under the bridge. The important point is that U.S. fiscal policy went completely in the wrong direction after 2010. With the stimulus perceived as a failure, job creation almost disappeared from inside-the-Beltway discourse, replaced with obsessive concern over budget deficits. Government spending, which had been temporarily boosted both by the Recovery Act and by safety-net programs like food stamps and unemployment benefits, began falling, with public investment hit worst. And this anti-stimulus has destroyed millions of jobs.

In other words, the overall narrative of the stimulus is tragic. A policy initiative that was good but not good enough ended up being seen as a failure, and set the stage for an immensely destructive wrong turn.

A version of this op-ed appears in print on February 21, 2014, on page A25 of the New York edition with the headline: The Stimulus Tragedy. Order Reprints|Today's Paper|Subscribe

<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" " style="font-size: 12px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">Nobody Understands Debt By PAUL KRUGMAN Published: January 1, 2012 712 Comments <nyt_reprints_form> <nyt_text style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"><nyt_correction_top>

In 2011, as in 2010, America was in a technical recovery but continued to suffer from disastrously high unemployment. And through most of 2011, as in 2010, almost all the conversation in Washington was about something else: the allegedly urgent issue of reducing the budget deficit.

Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times

Paul Krugman

Go to Columnist Page » Blog: The Conscience of a Liberal Related Readers’ Comments
    Readers shared their thoughts on this article.

<nyt_byline>

This misplaced focus said a lot about our political culture, in particular about how disconnected Congress is from the suffering of ordinary Americans. But it also revealed something else: when people in D.C. talk about deficits and debt, by and large they have no idea what they’re talking about — and the people who talk the most understand the least.

Perhaps most obviously, the economic “experts” on whom much of Congress relies have been repeatedly, utterly wrong about the short-run effects of budget deficits. People who get their economic analysis from the likes of the Heritage Foundation have been waiting ever since President Obama took office for budget deficits to send interest rates soaring. Any day now!

And while they’ve been waiting, those rates have dropped to historical lows. You might think that this would make politicians question their choice of experts — that is, you might think that if you didn’t know anything about our postmodern, fact-free politics.

But Washington isn’t just confused about the short run; it’s also confused about the long run. For while debt can be a problem, the way our politicians and pundits think about debt is all wrong, and exaggerates the problem’s size.

Deficit-worriers portray a future in which we’re impoverished by the need to pay back money we’ve been borrowing. They see America as being like a family that took out too large a mortgage, and will have a hard time making the monthly payments.

This is, however, a really bad analogy in at least two ways.

First, families have to pay back their debt. Governments don’t — all they need to do is ensure that debt grows more slowly than their tax base. The debt from World War II was never repaid; it just became increasingly irrelevant as the U.S. economy grew, and with it the income subject to taxation.

Second — and this is the point almost nobody seems to get — an over-borrowed family owes money to someone else; U.S. debt is, to a large extent, money we owe to ourselves.

This was clearly true of the debt incurred to win World War II. Taxpayers were on the hook for a debt that was significantly bigger, as a percentage of G.D.P., than debt today; but that debt was also owned by taxpayers, such as all the people who bought savings bonds. So the debt didn’t make postwar America poorer. In particular, the debt didn’t prevent the postwar generation from experiencing the biggest rise in incomes and living standards in our nation’s history.

But isn’t this time different? Not as much as you think.

It’s true that foreigners now hold large claims on the United States, including a fair amount of government debt. But every dollar’s worth of foreign claims on America is matched by 89 cents’ worth of U.S. claims on foreigners. And because foreigners tend to put their U.S. investments into safe, low-yield assets, America actually earns morefrom its assets abroad than it pays to foreign investors. If your image is of a nation that’s already deep in hock to the Chinese, you’ve been misinformed. Nor are we heading rapidly in that direction.

Now, the fact that federal debt isn’t at all like a mortgage on America’s future doesn’t mean that the debt is harmless. Taxes must be levied to pay the interest, and you don’t have to be a right-wing ideologue to concede that taxes impose some cost on the economy, if nothing else by causing a diversion of resources away from productive activities into tax avoidance and evasion. But these costs are a lot less dramatic than the analogy with an overindebted family might suggest.

And that’s why nations with stable, responsible governments — that is, governments that are willing to impose modestly higher taxes when the situation warrants it — have historically been able to live with much higher levels of debt than today’s conventional wisdom would lead you to believe. Britain, in particular, has had debt exceeding 100 percent of G.D.P. for 81 of the last 170 years. When Keynes was writing about the need to spend your way out of a depression, Britain was deeper in debt than any advanced nation today, with the exception of Japan.

Of course, America, with its rabidly antitax conservative movement, may not have a government that is responsible in this sense. But in that case the fault lies not in our debt, but in ourselves.

So yes, debt matters. But right now, other things matter more. We need more, not less, government spending to get us out of our unemployment trap. And the wrongheaded, ill-informed obsession with debt is standing in the way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Hmmm

Why doesn't the Gov. pick someone that WILL do her haior...doesn't that make more sense?

And why doesn't the gay couple pick another baker or photogragher?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

hmm

You got me!!

Well that's not a very good answer

Why cherry pick Palin and not pick on Romney?

Why if she were correct, do you not give her credit?

Why do you not admit Obama, HRC, kerry are incompetent?

I will admit when someone on the right screws up, why not you?

obama and crew have been there 5 yrs, things suxI, foreign policy and obamacare. He owns it and so do you fior supporting him

And then here comes China, for the same dumb policies

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to mellymel3's comment:

NOT TO WORRY. Neville Chamberlin aka Obama will take care of everything including global warming and rising sea levels.  First the Rhineland, then the Sudetenland: now Syria and the Ukraine. Next is Israel.

So...what's your solution...be specific and don't say he has no sack...what would you do Mr. President?

He won't answer that. The turd has no college education but is somehow smarter than a  Harvard grad who is 1000 times more intelligent than he is.

It's the right wing Republican way.  lmao

The problem started 5 yrs ago with his Reset policy, he gave away the store, he didnt understand that Putin had a long range plan to reconstitute the Russian empire, and since Putin said the greatest tragedy of the last century was the demise of the Soviet Union. 

he has pushed the Egyptians to Russia

he could have been better to the former Ussr satellites , 

we could unleash our gas and oil production on fed lands, That would immediately send the futures market down and screw Russia to the wall, we could re open the anM treaties in Poland and chek, which would also get puy ins attention. He could freeze Russian oligarchy bank acoounts, am sure there is more, but we won't hear it out of ohole

Obama is less than zero

Today the Washington Post even said Obama is in a fantasy world.

So Obama screws up for 5 years and things blow up and you want a solution? really?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

pro, I have to think about the Krugman articleBut one reason the interest rates are low is cause the Fed keeps them low and they are buying up debt. If they weren't the interest rates would have to go up. the fed is artificially keeping the rates low

I will say this, the fed is gambling that they can keep one step ahead of the grim reaper.Rember the 2008 crash was caused by crashing money market funds. And we have never gotten a real answer on what really happened, many suspect Soros, who has been convicted of chit like this

The other thing is the rest of the world is not doing so well, and foreigners cannot put there money anyplace else.zThe wealthy Chinese, and Russians are sending their money here

I do know that Krugman is now a political hack,

I need to see what he got his Nobel for, I had thought that the crash mite have proved that he was all wet, but in truth I don't. Know

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

hmm

You got me!!

Well that's not a very good answer

Why cherry pick Palin and not pick on Romney?

Why if she were correct, do you not give her credit?

Why do you not admit Obama, HRC, kerry are incompetent?

I will admit when someone on the right screws up, why not you?

obama and crew have been there 5 yrs, things suxI, foreign policy and obamacare. He owns it and so do you fior supporting him

And then here comes China, for the same dumb policies

Because Obama's softer stance toward Russia didn't stop Putin doesn't mean that a harder stance would have.  And a harder stance would have been far more expensive.  The Cold War approach (putting missiles all over Europe) wasn't cheap--and it's certainly not a small goverment approach.  Maybe it would have worked better, but there's a big cost to being the world's policeman.  We've seen that in Iraq and Afghanistan and we saw that through the Cold War.  It makes good campaign rhetoric to talk tough, but do you really want the US to spend all that money?  Right now, both Democrats and Republicans seem to be in agreement on economic sanctions and that seems to be the best (and really only) course.  Going to war with Russia should be a policy of last resort--and we're far, far from that now. 

Sections
Shortcuts