NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits

The league is thinking about doing this what say you?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits

No. Plain and simple no.

This is just wrong. There is too much that happens in a very short span of time. It will end up sapping the little "football" that is remaining in the game.

And also, I don't think the NFL is seriously considering it. I haven't heard one official person (please inform me if it happened) say this. The only thing that I heard was Rodney Harrison saying that if you want to stop hits like T.J.s etc, you need to suspend people, because he (for instance) would put aside $50,000 at the beginning of the season and chalk it up to cost of doing business. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

This is from ESPN.com:

NEW YORK -- The NFL could soon start suspending players for dangerous helmet-to-helment hits, vice president of football operations Ray Anderson told The Associated Press on Monday.

A day after several scary collisions in Sunday's games, Anderson acknowledged the league might need to do more than fining players to prevent such hits.

Anderson said the NFL could make changes in its approach immediately, with Commissioner Roger Goodell having the final say. League officials will consult with the union, but he didn't expect any opposition.

The Eagles' DeSean Jackson and the Falcons' Dunta Robinson were knocked out of their game Sunday after a frightening helmet-to-helmet collision, while Steelers linebacker James Harrison sidelined two Browns players with head injuries after jarring hits.

Anderson wouldn't speculate on how any players would be punished for hits from Sunday's games.

"The fundamentally old way of wrapping up and tackling seems to have faded away," he said. "A lot of the increase is from hits to blow guys up. That has become a more popular way of doing it. Yes, we are concerned they are getting away from the fundamentals of tackling, and maybe it has been coached that way. We're going to have to look into talking to our coaches."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits:
    [QUOTE]No. Plain and simple no. This is just wrong. There is too much that happens in a very short span of time. It will end up sapping the little "football" that is remaining in the game. And also, I don't think the NFL is seriously considering it. I haven't heard one official person (please inform me if it happened) say this. The only thing that I heard was Rodney Harrison saying that if you want to stop hits like T.J.s etc, you need to suspend people, because he (for instance) would put aside $50,000 at the beginning of the season and chalk it up to cost of doing business. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Agreed, ZB. This isn't tennis or golf, it's an all-out, split-second decision, contact sport. Far more guys will get injured when they have to start playing tentatively.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

NFL ready to start suspending players for helmet-to-helmet hits

Sunday's cavalcade of helmet-to-helmet hits could inspire real change in how such penalties are policed moving forward.

NFL vice president Ray Anderson told the The Associated Press the league may start suspending players for dangerous helmet-to-helmet hits.  (They are listening to Rodney Harrison apparently.)

The change could take place immediatley. "Going forward there are certain hits that occurred that will be more susceptible to suspension," Anderson said.

The league could go even further after the season.

"[Anderson] said NFL could change rules after the season to ban all hits with helmets," Judy Battista of the New York Times relays.

So who could be suspended?  Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather, Steelers linebacker James Harrison, and Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson would seem to be in the most danger. Robinson would be an especially tough hit to police because of where he made contact with Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson.

Anderson says he can handle any criticism.

"If we've got to face the backlash of those who say we're making the game too soft,then so be it," he told the New York Times.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

IMO in a one on one situation no, but in a play like the Meriweather play who was the second hitter then yes (I love the hit) he has to lead with the shoulder then.

* I believe there's a rule already in place for this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Every person has the right to work in an environment where others arn't purposely trying to cause Brain Injury's to them.

Why it took so long to actually get to the point of considering suspension is what puzzles me.

They (NFL Offices) must of been listening to Rodney last night when he said suspension would be the only deterrent that would of made him stop.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

This is going to bring a lot of grey area as to intention and not but I say do it. If it brings down the amount of hits to the head that players take then I'm all for it.

Of course you have to find a place to draw the line. I do believe Meriweathers hit should be one of those suspension plays but where a O player is trying to duck or make a play and in the speed of the game it happens well that type of incidental contact shouldn't be suspended.

The reason I think Meriweather's hit was intentional was because not only did he spear but he was coming in at an angle then angled his head further to a position where the blow would come at the place with the most padding in his helmet. It's simple you don't lead into a player like that helmet first and not expect to hit him hard with it. If you are going to hit him hard they are taught to "stand up" and lead with your shoulder not to lead head first.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I tend to agree that on some plays bone crunching helmet hits are gonna happen.  The game is too fast to stop guys from thinking before they hit.  Merriweather is trying to set the physical tone, and I like that, but the helmet to helmet hit on Heap was just stupid, and he clearly was looking to mete out a bit of pain.  Guys will do it until it means they lose a game check, and I'm sure Rodney Harrison's gamechecks were prorated for the penalty fines he knew he'd accrue.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

NO There's too much grey area.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gxs11. Show gxs11's posts

Maybe they should fine both the coaches and the players. Suspension is an extreme penalty. If the coaches are going to be disciplined -- and I mean both the head coach and the defensive coordinator -- their attention will be focused on teaching and stressing wrapping up rather than just hitting. Football is a violent game, but it shouldn't need to be played in such a way that concussion and brain damage are inevitable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Roger Goodell should have a meeting with James Harrison of the Steelers. Yes, Merriweather did something I deplore but, Harrison seems to be full out wanting to hurt people. 

I never liked this thug. 

If the NFL wants to come down on this stuff then where were the refs on both these hits?

Harrison seems to enjoy looking down on Massaquoi after he cheap shots him. I love hard hitting players. I love football but, guys like Harrison who openly admit to wanting to hurt players? This is the kind of thing the NFL needs to clean up right now. Just what we need, young kids wanting to be like Harrison. He could care less about sportsmanship, he wants to be a thug. 

P.O.S. if you ask me. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think they have to if football is going to survive as a sport. If the league doesn't take measures to stop the frequency of concussions, the federal government or a major lawsuit eventually will. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

mrbungle - I agree. I think what Meriweather did was just stupid and he'll learn not to do it. I have a feeling that BB will pull him aside and have a chat. I know BB didn't look to happy on the sidelines and if it weren't for Page getting hurt I don't think you would have seen Meriweather on the field for the rest of the game (minus 3 S sets). I also kinda think the Lewis hit on Edelman was in response to Meriweathers hit.

Harrison (Pit) though goes out every game with intent to injure, imo. To many times you watch him lead with his helmet or go low on runs. Him and Smith both go after players and I don't like that style of game.

I love big hits but there is a right and wrong way to do it. Rodney and Chung hit hard but lead with their shoulders and never towards the players head.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

They should only suspend somebody if they don't play for the Patriots. Furthermore I've made a little drinking game out of it. Everytime Meriweather launches and spears somebody I'm going to do a shot. If he knocks somebody out or makes them release their bowels on the field it's boilermaker time.
    That's Football Baby.NFL Style.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Every person has the right to work in an environment where others arn't purposely trying to cause Brain Injury's to them. Why it took so long to actually get to the point of considering suspension is what puzzles me. They (NFL Offices) must of been listening to Rodney last night when he said suspension would be the only deterrent that would of made him stop.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

+1..We're outnumbered on this topic. I'm actually pretty surprised at the support he's got.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits : +1..We're outnumbered on this topic. I'm actually pretty surprised at the support he's got.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

Puzzling e.  I guess not many of the posters here have ever taken a cheap shot.  Let me drill them as they are walking to the coffee machine, at work, and lets see if they change their view when the headaches finally go away a week later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

i support suspensions for helmet to helmet on QBs and recievers in a defensless act.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

I saw Trent Dilfer say that these hits should be reviewable?? come on. Let 'em play and let the refs do their job.

Now the league now wants to outlaw devastating hits...come on man start passing out the skirts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Every person has the right to work in an environment where others arn't purposely trying to cause Brain Injury's to them. Why it took so long to actually get to the point of considering suspension is what puzzles me. They (NFL Offices) must of been listening to Rodney last night when he said suspension would be the only deterrent that would of made him stop.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

This may be the best thing you ever posted Tcal2--and you've posted a lot of good things before.

The NFL is going to do something about this because allowing serious brain damage to occur will be:
    1. Ethically wrong
    2. Bad for the game, since star players will be permanently disabled and unable to play
    3. An obstacle to expanding the schedule and therefore a drag on revenue
    4. A public relations nightmare
    5. A huge legal risk, and
    6. An excuse for the government to regulate the NFL or even suspend play

The NFL is a big business and no big business is going to risk all of the above.  Yeah, big hits are part of what makes the game exciting, but the NFL won't survive if they don't do something to limit the damage to players.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Oh bullsh!t  don't play if you're afraid. There is risk in everything. Workplaces are dangerous and you can't eliminate all risk.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I voted "yes".

What Merriweather did was intentional, dangerous to both players, and asinine.  It is 100% clear he launched with the aim to knock-out Heap.

I don't think the refs should be allowed to eject the player. The league should and will suspend players.  They've done it before, just not often enough.

No player should have to suffer brain and neck damage to play the game.  It's a great game without the cheap shots to the head.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Z/NY Pats Fan, Are you guys serious? You think this is a good part of the game? You guys must have loved the Rutgers game Saturday then right? Just because you see a trend of increasing rules and restrictions being put into the game doesn't mean you hold onto something that should have never been allowed without suspension. If you want to take another look at defensive PI, or many other questionable rules that changed the game go for it but don't back something that can hurt someone for life like Saturday.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Sam,

Concussions are a part of my entertainment.

JK!

25. This post has been removed.