NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits

In Response to Re: NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits:
    Z/NY Pats Fan, Are you guys serious? You think this is a good part of the game? You guys must have loved the Rutgers game Saturday then right? Just because you see a trend of increasing rules and restrictions being put into the game doesn't mean you hold onto something that should have never been allowed without suspension. If you want to take another look at defensive PI, or many other questionable rules that changed the game go for it but don't back something that can hurt someone for life like Saturday.
    Posted by Sam-Adams

I just don't believe that most helmet hits are intentional, or we would see an awful lot more of them. It's a bang-bang sport. If you take away the player's instinctual play, I believe there will be far more injuries.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

A hit like Meriweather's is illegal.  First, there was a defenseless receiver and second he speared him.  Spearing has been outlawed since forever. 

Robinson's hit on Jackson, on the other hand, was within the rules.  He led with his shoulder, Jackson possessed the ball.  What should he have done?  It was a great football play, he dislodged the ball.  It's too bad the outcome was "devestating."  But the play was legal.  Please anybody, explain the rationale for suspending him. 

I mentioned in another thread, what about blocks on unsuspecting would-be tacklers on punts and interceptions?  Are those now illegal, even if there's no spearing involved.  They are "devestating" by any reasonable definition of the word.  Recall Kurt Warner getting decleated in last year's playoffs.  A great legal hit with a "devestating" outcome.  Should that call for a suspension?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Does anyone else here think the only real reason for the New York based office to be upset with Merriweather's hit was because the Patriots beat the Ravens and the Jets had to rely on the Referees too cheat and help them win? I smell a rat or two and the smell as usual is eminating from NYC ! What a shocker that is,Not!! Goodell and the NYJ have been called the best team in football yet they couldn't have won yesterday without a phony baloney PI in the last minute, if the WR for the Jets doesn't pull the defender back towards him there would have been no incidental contact with his face mask and it shouldn't have been called a spot foul,but these are the times when league officials from every sport can just manipulate the rules or create new ones in order to help teams they want to get into position to win. Not all Conspiracy Theories are just Theories! I truly believe that almost all sporting events are suspect at best and that each league has folks in place to insure that the team the league wants to win does so...If they suspend Merriweather then they need too suspend everyone else that has been flagged for Helmet to Helmet hits from game one until now! I don't think they are going to do because the league isn't going to suspend any of the NY area DB's for their chickenpoop hits.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Z/NY Pats Fan, Are you guys serious? You think this is a good part of the game? You guys must have loved the Rutgers game Saturday then right? Just because you see a trend of increasing rules and restrictions being put into the game doesn't mean you hold onto something that should have never been allowed without suspension. If you want to take another look at defensive PI, or many other questionable rules that changed the game go for it but don't back something that can hurt someone for life like Saturday.
    Posted by Sam-Adams

So it's the outcome that matters?  The Rutgers play was not caused by anything dirty or illegal.  It was just a fluke.  It's a violent game, that stuff is going to happen, unfortunately.  No rule change is going to prevent that from happening.  There's nobody to suspend or punish in a play like that.  Frankly it has no relevance in the current NFL debate.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

A hit like Meriweather's is illegal.  First, there was a defenseless receiver and second he speared him.  Spearing has been outlawed since forever.  Robinson's hit on Jackson, on the other hand, was within the rules.  He led with his shoulder, Jackson possessed the ball.  What should he have done?  It was a great football play, he dislodged the ball.  It's too bad the outcome was "devestating."  But the play was legal.  Please anybody, explain the rationale for suspending him.  I mentioned in another post, what about blocks on unsuspecting would-be tacklers on punts and interceptions?  Are those now illegal, even if there's no spearing involved.  They are "devestating" by any reasonable definition of the word.  Recall Kurt Warner getting decleated in last year's playoffs.  A great legal hit with a "devestating" outcome.  Should that call for a suspension?
    Posted by Muzwell

Muz, You are absolutely correct and that's the problem with that play. It was stupid and handed the ravens 15 yards not to mention he could knocked Heap out cold at which point every player in the stadium would be holding a candle light vigil at midfield.
    BTW- The NFL has already Backpedaled on the term "Devastating" today. That was an off the Cuff remark by the league and they realize it's not fair to categorize the rules that way. I just heard that reported on the Sports Hub. These guys just want to take the Kamikaze hits out of play. Let's hope they have enough common sense to distinguish between a dirty cheap shot and a good clean hard hit. It doesn't seem that hard to me. The other hit's that you mentioned were legal and good hits.I can't imagine somebody getting suspended for a legal hit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In fact...Here are Anderson's words from the Mike and Mike show this morning..Via Mike Reiss' Blog.

NFL football operations executive Ray Anderson told ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" that the league will hold players accountable under a "strict liability" standard for illegal hits to the head and neck starting with games this week, saying the league will not apologize for trying to protect players' safety and enforcing the current rules.

Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations, backed away from the word "devastating" in describing the kind of hits the league will act upon beginning with games this week.

"I don't know where the word devastating came from. That's not my word," he said Tuesday. "What I would tell you is that if there are flagrant and egregious violations of our current rules, we will be enforcing, effective immediately, discipline at a higher level."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Nobody is making these guys play this game.  As one NFL assistant coach said, " It's not a prison sentence."   It's violent, physical game.  That aspect is one of the reasons so many fans love football.  It's as close to gladiators as we can get in this day and age. 

Could Merriweather have taken a different approach to his hit on Heap?  I guess so.  It's alot easier for me to say when I'm sitting on my couch watching on tv and replaying it over and over again in slo-mo to see IF it looked intentional or not. 

That being said,  as a Pats fan I'm still glad he did it.  I want opposing receivers to sh*t their pants every time they line up to run a route into the New England secondary.  I want teams to FEAR this defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits : .... The other hit's that you mentioned were legal and good hits.I can't imagine somebody getting suspended for a legal hit.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I agree e, but the league (Anderson) is saying a hit like Robinson's is worthy of a suspension.  He said that even though he led with his shoulder, which is legal, because their heads collided after the initial impact (due to momentum not intent), a suspension is warranted.  Doesn't matter that Jackson possessed the ball.  That's what he said and I just think that is ridiculous. 

I ask again to anybody in favor of this, what is a guy like Robinson supposed to do?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FebruaryGirl. Show FebruaryGirl's posts

OK, here's my two cents: 1 cent-True, if the player has already been corralled and even in this case, by an even bigger teammate than Merriweather, then Merriweather need not come in so maliciously. 2 cents-The NFL has simply found a further financial way not to seem so cheap at affording former employee medical benefits. Am I w-a-y off the mark?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

So when Wes Welker got smacked by that idiot safety and that was that safetys second time doing this he gets a fine but not a suspension?

Like what the hell is the NFL smoking? I would love some

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Holy hell this helmet to helmet thing is blowing up big time.

So I am assuming on the list of players they will suspend which will come out tomorrow.

Meriweather
    That Chargers LB who hit Bradford
    James Harrison

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Holy hell this helmet to helmet thing is blowing up big time. So I am assuming on the list of players they will suspend which will come out tomorrow. Meriweather That Chargers LB who hit Bradford James Harrison
    Posted by Pancakespwn

They aren't supposed to suspend anyone for what has happened in the past, only for hits that occur from here on out now that they have clarified the rule.
    That's the thing that gets me. They should have been enforcing the rules the whole time. They made that "launching yourself" rule years ago but I probably only saw it called a couple times a season.
    Anyway, The scare is on as well as the emphasis on the rules. I would wager to say that very little changes including our enjoyment of the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In Response to Re: NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits :  your post is ridiculous, as well as being a justification for, as you say..VIOLENCE. boy, that`s something you should be really proud promoting. NFL football need not be a 'violent game' in the least. a hard-hitting game? of course..but a game which FORCES players to TACKLE well, not cause concussions, vertebrae damage and paralysis. it`s a beautiful game because it`s physical without having to kill people in the process..which is what some like you are advocating. why not go back to the 1970`s when you could wrap a piece of iron to your forearm and then then go crack someone in the neck while making a play? many players are now suffering from among other things lou gehrigs` disease because of severe hits to the head they inconcured while playing in the NFL. that`s wonderful isn`t it? the message the NFL has got to relay to the coaches, and then to the players, IS that you had better learn to tackle well..anything else will cost you big-time, and get you suspended..or even kicked out of the league, period.
    Posted by koft

Hate to break the news to ya but football is a VIOLENT GAME.  No way around it.  These guys are some of the biggest, fastest and strongest athletes in the world and they play violent sport.  Find another sport to watch if you can't stand the violence of it.  Because, again, it is Violent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FebruaryGirl. Show FebruaryGirl's posts

The NFL really shouldn't suspend those that brought them to see why they are coming to this all-out conclusion. It would not be fair for if there is re-schooling required, allow the effort to take place which surely will fall in place before the weekend games even for that loud mouth rear end w/the Steelers, THEN Suspend Away. I never knew I didn't like cry baby Steve Young.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Remember the phantom roughing the passer call in the '78 playoff game against the Raiders?  Or was it last year or the yr before where Wilfork came up the middle, planted his face mask in the qb's chest,  wrapped his arms around his legs and brought him down on his back in textbook fashion? - FLAG - Roughing the passer.  This is where the game is headed.  Ten years down the road there will be no hitting allowed what so ever.  Touch football.  Can't wait.

Wasn't it the Patriots that caused the rules changes on the way db's handle wide receivers because of the way they roughed up the Rams and the Colts receivers?

Pretty soon the offensive linemen will not be allowed to knock heads with the defensive linemen and lb's.  Those helmet to helmet collisions happen on every play in every game in the trenches.  But God forbid it happens to a receiver.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

This is pathetic and if they suspend Meri for a hit prior to any rule change it is just plain wrong. I couldnt boycott the NFL, love it to much but i sure would want to. How can we get rid of this comish? This guy just keeps pushing it, the idea that he is god is just so far overboard. Wonder if the players and owners can remove this clown.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Holy hell this helmet to helmet thing is blowing up big time. So I am assuming on the list of players they will suspend which will come out tomorrow. Meriweather That Chargers LB who hit Bradford James Harrison
    Posted by Pancakespwn

Don't forget T.J. Ward from last week.

Then of course we have piles of helmet to helmet and late hits from guys like Bob Sanders and Ike Taylor, even though they haven't been on the field this season, they should go back and review the tape just to be sure. 

But hey, why stop there. The NFL can start suspending ex-players like Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater. Make them forfeit game checks retroactively.

And they should emphasize the judgment too. Why not? I love the idea of a referee having the choice to bounce someone in a big game or just before a big game. It could be administered just like the current PI rules, and we all know how objectively those have been construed. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

I said this before in another post and I say it again now, these guys make more in one year than what a typical person will make ina  lifetime. This is a risk that comes with the game. A game which rewards them greatly. If they do not want to take that risk then they can go get day jobs like everyone else.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

If the NFL was really serious about preventing injury then they need to implement equipment changes:

1.  Every player has to wear knee braces like the ones you see O linemen wear in college ball.  Yeah, it would slow players down but it would prevent alot of serious knee injuries.

2.  Make players where all the padding.  No more just the pants portion.  Knee pads, thigh pads, hip and tail bone pads like you had to wear in Pop Warner.

3.  Maybe some rib protection.  Some kind vest so when a receiver jumps and stretches for a ball his ribs are somewhat protected. 

4.  Finally, redesign the helmet.  Even if they put an inch or so of extra padding over the helmet this could help prevent more concussion. 

Again, these changes would slow the game down a bit and make the players look somewhat ridiculous but if the league is really serious about cutting down on serious injuries then something other than just suspension and fines needs to be done. 

Is this what fans want?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits : Don't forget T.J. Ward from last week. Then of course we have piles of helmet to helmet and late hits from guys like Bob Sanders and Ike Taylor, even though they haven't been on the field this season, they should go back and review the tape just to be sure.  But hey, why stop there. The NFL can start suspending ex-players like Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater. Make them forfeit game checks retroactively. And they should emphasize the judgment too. Why not? I love the idea of a referee having the choice to bounce someone in a big game or just before a big game. It could be administered just like the current PI rules, and we all know how objectively those have been construed. 
    Posted by zbellino

Guys like Atwater, Lott, John Lynch, Tim Fox, Plank and Fencik, etc., a huge part of their game was full go, run across the field and punish the ball carrier.  Frankly that's every bit a part of the game as a great run or pass play or anything else.  I still remember Ronnie Lott leveling Mark Bavaro in the 80s. 

If Lott got suspended every time he bumped heads with someone, he wouldn't be able to play.  It would take away a huge part of the game of football.  Intimidation is part of the game.  People want to remove that?  And all because of a few hits this past week?   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In Response to Re: NFL to suspend players for helmet to helmet hits : Guys like Atwater, Lott, John Lynch, Tim Fox, Plank and Fencik, etc., a huge part of their game was full go, run across the field and punish the ball carrier.  Frankly that's every bit a part of the game as a great run or pass play or anything else.  I still remember Ronnie Lott leveling Mark Bavaro in the 80s.  If Lott got suspended every time he bumped heads with someone, he wouldn't be able to play.  It would take away a huge part of the game of football.  Intimidation is part of the game.  People want to remove that?  And all because of a few hits this past week?   
    Posted by Muzwell

Apparently they do want to take intimidation out the game.  According to some,  football shouldn't be a violent game.  Any time you play a game at full speed where contact is allowed then it is going to be violent.   No way around it.  I like the fact that receivers would be scared to run routes into the Pats' secondary.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Reiss posted that Meriweather will not be suspended, $50k fine

Sections
Shortcuts