NFL to take away Peytons passing yardage record?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

NFL to take away Peytons passing yardage record?

could care less about the record but the right thing to do is adjust the total and take it away!

The NFL reviews game tape and stat sheets after every week of games and will occasionally alter all kinds of things, from yardage numbers to sack totals. And it’s possible that when the league reviews the Denver Broncos’ 34-14 win over the Oakland Raiders on Sunday, Peyton Manning’s single-season yardage record could be in a bit of danger.

With 1:28 left in the first quarter of the game, Manning threw what was called a seven-yard pass to receiver Eric Decker on 1st-and-5 from the Oakland 49-yard line. However, in the video below (H/T to SportsGrid via Reddit NFL), it’s clear that Manning threw the ball backward, which makes it a lateral. With that in mind, Decker should technically be credited with a seven-yard run.

(GIF via The Big Lead)

And under those circumstances, Manning didn’t break Drew Brees’ single-season passing yardage record by one yard. He would have 5,470 yards, not 5,477, and Brees would still have the mark with the 5,476 yards he threw for in 2011.

As the stats stand now, Manning threw for 266 yards on 25 completions before he was pulled at the half to preserve him for the playoffs. The game wasn’t competitive and the Broncos were going to wrap up the AFC’s top seed whether Manning finished the game or not. Nobody could criticize head coach John Fox after the fact, but would Manning have come out for the second half with that record still on the line? Given Manning’s ken awareness of NFL history, it’s certainly feasible.

Fox was actually asked that very question on Monday.

“That’s hard to say. What was very positive was I thought we played one of our better halves of football that put us in a position where we could do different things. Number one, all those things are great—those individual accomplishments, team accomplishments—but not at the risk of putting a player at risk. So I don’t know if I’ve answered your question, I’m just kind of telling you what would go through our minds in that situation.”

Even if the yardage record is taken away, Manning still finished the 2013 regular season with a league-record 55 passes (though, technically, he should have 54), and the Broncos set the NFL’s new pace by scoring 606 points on the season.

But the yardage record? Technically, not so much.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/30/peyton-manning-yardage-record-denver-broncos/?eref=sihp

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: NFL to take away Peytons passing yardage record?

All these records will just make it funnier if and when horseface craps his pants in the playoffs again this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

They would never take it away, never

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All these records will just make it funnier if and when horseface craps his pants in the playoffs again this year.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO. can't wait to see his sad pout again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LMAO. can't wait to see his sad pout again.

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Who cares, stats are for losers!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

The league took away a Gronk TD reception a few years ago for similar reasons. The pass from Brady later ruled a lateral. Gronk got credit for the touchdown, of course, but not the reception

No rooting interest for me on this thing though. I dont care how it plays out. Brees & Manning, both stats wh*res

I assume Manning's new record will stand though

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Red arrow shows where ball left Mannings hand

Red arrow shows where the ball was caught

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

No worries.  Both Gomer's records (if they uphold the YDs one) will be broken before the next presidential election.  

And lil' bro Eli has a good shot at coming in #2 on the most INTs in a season record (35, held by Testaverde).  And both could vie for Favre's all-time INTs thrown.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Always fun to see pats fans demonstrate how much they don't care about stats. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

They give championships for stats???  I thought the only thing that counted was wins and losses......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They give championships for stats???  I thought the only thing that counted was wins and losses......

[/QUOTE]

That's what I keep reading on this board until Brady breaks a record or until threads like these are started. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

matters only to the fantasy geeks.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In a pass-driven league, passing records will fall, and fall frequently.  So, Peyton fans can rejoice in this year's accomplishments, just like Brady's fans did in 2007.  What counts at the end of the day is who won the Super Bowl.  And this year, it will not be Manning.  Then who?  Brady definitely has a shot at getting to the SB.  Then, we'll see.

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champions???!!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Ah, yes..... and the anti-Horseface crappolla continues.......

I'm telling ya, it's eating you up! LET IT GO!!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red arrow shows where ball left Mannings hand

Red arrow shows where the ball was caught

[/QUOTE]

Nice Image TFB12.  Clearly a lateral.

Sections
Shortcuts