NFL=Arena Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

NFL=Arena Football

Watching the Arizona and New Orleans game disgusts me. The NFL has almost eliminated defense from the game. What has happened to this game. All the rule changes have ruined the game. I would rather see a well defensed game than this trash. This game will come down to which team will have the ball last.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Re: NFL=Arena Football

Watch the Jets play and see if you still think that :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Yea I agree with some of the complaints, but sometimes I think people go a lil' overboard. I cant stand when people start talking about the 70's Steelers and the Raiders of the past. That wasnt defense, it takes no skill at all to give someone a forearm and hold em' 15 yards down the field. IMHO their are just some s uck DB's out there. Think about it, Nnamdi, Woodsen, Revis, Harris, Winfield(when healthy), SS are all playmakers. Then you have guys like Bodden, Newman, and Robinson who are all solid guys that can be true assets for their respected teams. Im prolly missing a few, but I just feel like their are alot of terrible DB's out there lol. Think about it, they spend their whole life devoted, and practicing to be a DB in the NFL, but couldnt catch air if their life depended on it. Amazes me how many drops DB's make on wide open balls. SS makes that one on the sideline in the SB, were 19-0, 4 time SB champions and still make fun of that loser Mec. Morris! Also Rodney will forever get the blame for "the catch 2" , but Tyree was SS man. OK I need to stop now, sorry for bringing that up!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

i agree. the focus on offense makes the game no different from arena league.   the rules should be shifted equally to offense and defense.  right now, you are discouraged from playing defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Well, I agree in general that the league is favoring offenses a bit too much, but the Saints - Cardinals game might not be a good example.  Those two teams have high-flying offenses, so you kind of have to expect that type of game with them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Yes, I haven't seen a team that can play pass coverage.  The only way to stop a passing attack is with a great pass rush.  I'm beginning to think that the best way to build a champion football team now is to invest in offensive talent, and use what's left over on defense.  Even the Best defenses in the NFL cannot slow down mid level offenses. 

It's clear that running the ball is meaningless now.  SD and IND are top offenses and the worst running teams.  Ten. NYJ, MIA and CAR were the best running teams but were bad teams.  Maybe the Jets can find a way to win but I doubt it.  The rules favor passing so much now that it appears that passing on every down is the best use of downs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

"Watch the Jets play and see if you still think that :-)"

The Jets have the best defense in the NFL in both scoring and yards allowed. It got them to the playoffs, barely. I don't see them completely stopping the Chargers.

The Chargers can be run on and the Jets are the best there too. Controlling the clock is the best chance for the Jets to stop the high flying Bolts.

The best teams left in the playoffs are top ten in passing yards, therefore:

"Watching the Arizona and New Orleans game disgusts me. The NFL has almost eliminated defense from the game. What has happened to this game. All the rule changes have ruined the game. I would rather see a well defensed game than this trash. This game will come down to which team will have the ball last."

paesan59's comment is ringing true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Given the rule changes favoring receivers and quarterbacks... why not 12 defensive players.  Either that or return to the earlier blocking the receivers rules, and find a way to toughen things up a bit for the qb without endangering his safety. 

Or maybe just more emphasis on big d defense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Why not use a nerf football and have the lineman count to five monkeys before they rush the QB and pull the flag from his waist. 

I'll bet QB's and WR's would break all the records then, but I guess that's already happenning now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I suppose that's one way to look at it.  It's kind of like when you see some guy in the NBA take a five step no dribble move to do a monster dunk.  I think, that was great, but it isn't really basketball.  Maybe I just can't adapt because I liked the game the way it was and I think creating highlight reel dunks, or catches and throws devalues the what used to be a great play.  Passing for 4000 yards used to be a great achievement rarely done, 12 guys did it this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

shenanigan- I couldn't agree more! Make the receivers earn their yards like they did in the 70's. Sure the Jets have a great defense, and Darrelle Revis is a great CB, but doesn't it seem like when the replay zero's in on Revis, he bumps the receivers alot, even after 5 yards. Not knocking the guy, but he does seem to play aggresively down the field, and get away with it a lot more than most CB's. With the rules the way they are, we may see 12 Qb's throw for 5,000 yards next year!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

STP43FAN- You might be right about the 5-yard rule, but I think as that rule came into be, it seemed like more teams started playing more & more zone defense. I just hate it when a receiver doesn't even run a great route, yet because of the zone, he's wide-open, no one within 5 or 6 yards from him. Even though the Jet's defense is very good, will they be able to sustain it for more then one year? Maybe, but all we hear in PGH. is how great a Def Cord. Dick Lebeau is, but teams around the NFL have caught on to a lot of his schemes, and the Steelers couldn't stop anybody this year! I don't buy into the excuse of Polamalu being injured, the defense was just plain terrible. Finally we get an offense and the defense goes to helllll! Good reply though STP43FAN

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Steel - I think Revis is given more latitude with physicality on receivers than just about any other DB.  That said, the colts did manage to get an illegal contact on him in their game earlier this year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: NFL=Arena Football:
    Steel - I think Revis is given more latitude with physicality on receivers than just about any other DB.  That said, the colts did manage to get an illegal contact on him in their game earlier this year. 
    Posted by underdoggg

Dogg, players who are very good with clean reps (play clean) often get the favorable "could go either way" calls.  Revis is such a player.  This is one of the factors behind the Colts getting a lot of those "could go either way" calls.  It's not a conspiracy as some would like to believe.  In all sports, the great players tend to have the calls go their way.  You could say there are two standards; one for the great players, and one for the rest.  

Both Revis and Wayne are great players with clean reps.  Should be interesting to see.  I have to say that Revis often plays to a point that would receive a PI call on a lesser CB.  I think he loses here, and the conspiracy theorists work overtime...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

It really is terrible that everyone is playing like the 2007 Patriots except the 2009 Patriots.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

There is no such thing as a 50/50 or go either way call.  A call is either right or wrong.  If the refs cannot agree on what a call should be than the rule has not been written clearly. 

I suppose I could take a position of acceptance and say errors, bad calls, and favortism are part of the league and they cannot be fixed, but I would prefer the view that these things can be fixed, and calls can be far more accurate with some simple changes.  It's absurd to me that in a professional game there are only 7 guys regulating the game play.  There are more camera men than officials and they probably have a better view of what's happenning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

MVPKilla2009- I agree with you about changing the rules to become more of an offensive league, but I wonder why they decided to start  after the 1976 season.
    In 1974, with a recession going on, the NFL had their third largest average attendance, which was then beaten out only two years later in 1976. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect that, but I believe the NFL would have continued to grow, rule changes or not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

yes...allow illegal contact again and take the skirts off the damn QB's...if you wear a helmet and pads, you too are a football player and should be treated like one, not like a ballerina

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

STP43FAN- I couldn't agree more with your comment on the Steelers defense. I watch the games with a 'real old-timer'(82yrs old) and we've both been saying for  years that the Steelers were awful against the pass. We always wondered why teams even tried to run on them.  But this year was one of the first years in a long time that their running defense started to decline. Very seldom did teams rush for 100 yards, but even Cleveland(Cleveland for god sakes) ran thru them pretty good. Can't blame this on the illegal contact rule though!!(lol)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

MVPKilla2009- As they say on Family Feud, 'Good Answer!' As for bitching & moaning, I think that's what us fans are best at sometimes!(lol) I won't add anything further to this post except, I can't wait for next season to begin! (You guys have the Red Sox's, we have the Pirates! So you can see why I can't wait for baseball to get over, and for football to began!) But I will say, I know alot of people who love the Red Sox's, and I have a niece who has her room all decorated with Red Sox stuff. Would love to someday take her up to Fenway!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

hey steel curtain, at the risk of ruining a good football thread...i figured id let you know that my little cousin, Jeff Locke, was part of the braves-pirates trade last year for mclouth...

he will open the year in altoona and is a good, young lefty with great control...he should be a part of all those prospects that are about a year or two away from the bigs...so despite being a native miamian, a die-hard dolphins and marlins fan...i do have a soft spot for the pirates now...until they trade him that is!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

Jimmy42Jack0- I  hope your cousin does well. Lord know's they could use a good lefty!

Sections
Shortcuts