NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft

For the all too many of you who are rooting for the players in this ugly labor war, you need to be aware that they seek the destruction of the NFL draft, and seek unfettered free agency. If they are successful, they will destroy the competitive balance in the league...and the already exorbitant price for tickets will skyrocket.

The short-sighted owners and their overbearing, micro-managing, arrogant political stuffed shirt of a Commissioner are partially to blame for why the game is heading down this road to destruction. But, the players' agenda, as concocted and directed by the sports agents, amounts to a poison pill for football fans: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/05/pondering-a-future-without-the-nfl-draft/ 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft

no draft? they do realize that no one would play for the lions, raiders, etc. any of the perennial losing teams.  I think this proposal is proof that the players have taken too many hits to the head!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

How is the union's wish to eliminate the draft the owners' fault? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

ROFL, yeah they are for the players alright. Lets see the best way for Vets to get more money is to place a rookie cap so that the money can be spread to the Vet players. Even the players and formerly the union agreed which is why they agreed to a rookie cap. Now they want to get rid of the draft so that teams need to get into bidding wars in order to get rookies? Yeah that will do wonders for increasing the pay of NFL Vets. Great logic there NFLPA. BTW is there a sport in the US without a draft?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's my question. How else are they suppposed to legally and legitimately transition from college to the pros?

I'll use a hockey story to explain why this is beyond stupid and would lead to even more corruption than we see now with the transition from the NCAA-- />Agent Scum-- />NFL:

Prior to 1961, the NHL did not have a draft.  The Montreal Canadiens made a rule that they had first dibs/carte blanche access to scouting and signing all Quebec-born players.

This clearly gave them a huge advantage over there other 5 NHL teams at the time.   It's no wonder why they won so many Stanley Cups prior to 1961.

Not having a draft would completely infuse a new breed of greed and corruption.

The union has completely lost control beyond all belief.  How do these guys walk into a soup kitchen the next time without being embarrassed?

All I can think of is Logan Mankins when I read stuff like this. Just delusional. 

The union should be LEADING not opening new avenues for the game to become the laughingstock of pro sports.

They should have courses on how to manage money, invest correctly, etc.  Instead, they have players living from paycheck to paycheck, clearly showing they just want the payday up front to live like kings while they can play in the NFL.  Fine. Their choice.

But, now what?

Word on the street is, by early Sept at the latest the players will be unable to pay bills. 

Many of these high profile picks don't even have a legit major for crying out loud.

The NCAA is partly to blame for this, too, with their self righteous rhetoric and phony behavior.   They are more concerned with college bowl sponsors than actually graduating kids and turning them into adults.  Pathetic.

Get a grip, union. You're slowly losing the edge and will lose this battle with desperate attempts to gain leverage like this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Tex, I don't think the NFLPA is interested in forgoing the draft. 

The anti-trust claims are merely procedural at this point. In essence, they have to seek damages against the draft salary cap in order to seek a lockout injunction.

Personally, I am hoping that Nelson grants the injunction with the stipulation that both sides must continue negotiating. The current CBA extension has solid incentives to get both sides back to the table, like no cap to help the owners and no accrued service to help the players. Nobody wants those rules, and barring the ability to stage collusive lockouts, the rest should fall into place within a year.

I can promise this, it is a painfully slow day at NBCsports, because there is no way that the NFL operates without a draft unless the owners lose suit and figure they would rather do business without the advantage of its current 501(c)(6) designation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

You think no cap would help the owners?  lol

Explain that one.  No cap would hurt the fans.  BAD

If Kraft spent more, he'd raise prices and find ways for local corporate sponsors to get in on the action.   It's bad enough now.

Look no further than baseball and that's 81 home games compared to 8 for the NFL.

The owners keep saying they care about the fans, want 18 games to offset costs, etc, yet want to turn around and screw the fans by wildly raising ticket prices to support a larger budget?

Not buying that one. Sorry.

The players would love no cap, the owners like the cap. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft:
    [QUOTE]Tex, I don't think the NFLPA is interested in forgoing the draft.

RESPONSE: Maybe so. But the agents are...and they are the driving force behind the union.

The anti-trust claims are merely procedural at this point. In essence, they have to seek damages against the draft salary cap in order to seek a lockout injunction.

RESPONSE: It's the first step to prolonged litigation. What happens if the players ultimately win?

Personally, I am hoping that Nelson grants the injunction with the stipulation that both sides must continue negotiating.

RESPONSE: The only way that this mess gets settled fast is if the owners win. This will force the players back to the table. The more the players win in court, the greater their leverage...and the more reluctant they'll be to make concessions. I've said that the owners were short-sighted, in my original post. They have underestimated the strengths of the union's case. The power of unions in general has become a front and center national issue. So, you can bet that our ultra liberal press, judges, President, and Senate will firmly support the players...under the guise of acting in the best interests of the fans, of course.    

The current CBA extension has solid incentives to get both sides back to the table, like no cap to help the owners and no accrued service to help the players. Nobody wants those rules, and barring the ability to stage collusive lockouts, the rest should fall into place within a year.

RESPONSE: If the players win their suit, they'll get damages. The alleged extended CBA rules only apply if that's what Judge Doty ultimately rules. Who knows what he'll do?

I can promise this, it is a painfully slow day at NBCsports, because there is no way that the NFL operates without a draft unless the owners lose suit and figure they would rather do business without the advantage of its current 501(c)(6) designation.

RESPONSE: If the players see a golden opportunity to gain unfettered free agency, don't you think they'll go for it? 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

TP - I am actually very concerned about this.  This union means business, and I think they want the power of ownership if not ownership itself. 

The owners have skrewed the pooch quite a bit in this mess and put themselves in a bad position -

*first by accepting the last CBA 30-2.
    *second by trying to pull a fast one with the renegotiation of the tv contract.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP - I am actually very concerned about this.  This union means business, and I think they want the power of ownership if not ownership itself.  The owners have skrewed the pooch quite a bit in this mess and put themselves in a bad position - *first by accepting the last CBA 30-2. *second by trying to pull a fast one with the renegotiation of the tv contract.    
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Every football fan should be concerned over this. But, unfortunately, too many are buying into the media's pro player spin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft :
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Tex, I don't think the NFLPA is interested in forgoing the draft.

RESPONSE: Maybe so. But the agents are...and they are the driving force behind the union.

RESPONSE: It's the first step to prolonged litigation. What happens if the players ultimately win?

A revided SSA from White V NFL for sure. One that likely emphasizes the fact that NFL drafts, salary caps, etc aren't 'rights' of the owners, but priveleges granted by bargaining with the players. As I said, if they don't like it, they can always have a free market ... not that I want to see that really, but it is an option if they don't like laws getting in the way of their business, they can declare themselves out of 501(c)(6) and this all goes away. 

But this much is for certain. The injunction will only make this shorter. The longest way is if it has to play out in court over the anti-trust. Then the NFL has to go back to the table with nothing, bargaining from scratch as opposed to the precedent set in the 1993 case. 

RESPONSE: The only way that this mess gets settled fast is if the owners win. This will force the players back to the table. The more the players win in court, the greater their leverage...and the more reluctant they'll be to make concessions.     

I'm not sure what the President and Senate have to do with this. So I'll just skip that. The media has been pretty "fan" sided. Most of the stories I read talk about two greedy groups or millionaires v billionaires. There are people who side with either side here, I don't think anyone is leading anyone to the players' side. 

I don't think the owners stopping the injunction brings anyone back to the table. In fact, it basically allows the anti-trust suit to go on anyway, but without football and the guarantee of a locked out 2011. An injunction means football operations begin now and everyone must negotiate. It takes lockouts and strikes off the table. It essentially forces the players and the owners together. 

I thought the extended CBA rules were quite inventive, so I would think with those in place some more talking would happen (so long as the injunction blocks strikes/lockouts). 

RESPONSE: If the players win their suit, they'll get damages. The alleged extended CBA rules only apply if that's what Judge Doty ultimately rules. Who knows what he'll do? 

I think it is the other way around. The NFL has to choose what to do in the case of an injunction. I think I read an article that stated they prepared for this contingency and will go back to the no-CBA rules. Doty can't tell the NFL and players how to resolve the issue, all he can do is rule on whether the 32 teams are using the NFL shield illegally.

RESPONSE: If the players see a golden opportunity to gain unfettered free agency, don't you think they'll go for it? 

No. They could have had it in 1993 after White vs NFL, and they bargained it away. I don't think the NFL players want to cancel the draft. I don't even think their goal is to cancel the cap. I think their ultimate goal is to come to the table with equal leverage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft:
    [QUOTE]     For the all too many of you who are rooting for the players in this ugly labor war, you need to be aware that they seek the destruction of the NFL draft, and seek unfettered free agency. If they are successful, they will destroy the competitive balance in the league...and the already exorbitant price for tickets will skyrocket.      The short-sighted owners and their overbearing, micro-managing, arrogant political stuffed shirt of a Commissioner are partially to blame for why the game is heading down this road to destruction. But, the players' agenda, as concocted and directed by the sports agents, amounts to a poison pill for football fans: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/05/pondering-a-future-without-the-nfl-draft/      
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Players would be happy to put every NFL owner (many of whom are largely responsible for building up the league to be the financial bonanza for both parties that it is or was) right out of business, if they could put an extra
    $20 a week into their pockets.

They lack the foresight to see that putting the owners out of business also puts them out on the street.

Personally, I'd love to see guys like Rapelisberger, ray lewis, cromartie or ochocinco try to make a living out of football. They'd be standing on street corners, wanting to wash your car for $5.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Equal leverage? I am pretty sure the owners have no issue with that concept and would sign a new CBA today if that was actually true from the union's perspective.

But, alas, with decertification and this lawsuit, it isn't.  That's their version of "equal leverage".

The players owned the last deal because it was a glorious, union-favored deal that lost its legs due to the economy and the bank problem.

Hence, the Lockout.

All this legal rhetoric is nothing more than a prop for lawyers to make money off this supposed problem.

As Kraft said, "throw the lawyers out and we have a deal".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Seems to work for baseball if you like watching teams like Kansas City (cf; Damon and Greinke) get raped by large market teams.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]That's my question. How else are they suppposed to legally and legitimately transition from college to the pros? 
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I don't know? How did you get your first job out of college without a draft? Maybe you just send a resume . . . and then go for interviews.  Works everywhere else. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : Tex, I don't think the NFLPA is interested in forgoing the draft. RESPONSE: Maybe so. But the agents are...and they are the driving force behind the union.  The anti-trust claims are merely procedural at this point. In essence, they have to seek damages against the draft salary cap in order to seek a lockout injunction.   RESPONSE: It's the first step to prolonged litigation. What happens if the players ultimately win? A revided SSA from White V NFL for sure. One that likely emphasizes the fact that NFL drafts, salary caps, etc aren't 'rights' of the owners, but priveleges granted by bargaining with the players. As I said, if they don't like it, they can always have a free market ... not that I want to see that really, but it is an option if they don't like laws getting in the way of their business, they can declare themselves out of 501(c)(6) and this all goes away.  But this much is for certain. The injunction will only make this shorter. The longest way is if it has to play out in court over the anti-trust. Then the NFL has to go back to the table with nothing, bargaining from scratch as opposed to the precedent set in the 1993 case.    RESPONSE: The only way that this mess gets settled fast is if the owners win. This will force the players back to the table. The more the players win in court, the greater their leverage...and the more reluctant they'll be to make concessions.      I'm not sure what the President and Senate have to do with this. So I'll just skip that. The media has been pretty "fan" sided. Most of the stories I read talk about two greedy groups or millionaires v billionaires. There are people who side with either side here, I don't think anyone is leading anyone to the players' side.  I don't think the owners stopping the injunction brings anyone back to the table. In fact, it basically allows the anti-trust suit to go on anyway, but without football and the guarantee of a locked out 2011. An injunction means football operations begin now and everyone must negotiate. It takes lockouts and strikes off the table. It essentially forces the players and the owners together.  I thought the extended CBA rules were quite inventive, so I would think with those in place some more talking would happen (so long as the injunction blocks strikes/lockouts).    RESPONSE: If the players win their suit, they'll get damages. The alleged extended CBA rules only apply if that's what Judge Doty ultimately rules. Who knows what he'll do?  I think it is the other way around. The NFL has to choose what to do in the case of an injunction. I think I read an article that stated they prepared for this contingency and will go back to the no-CBA rules. Doty can't tell the NFL and players how to resolve the issue, all he can do is rule on whether the 32 teams are using the NFL shield illegally. RESPONSE: If the players see a golden opportunity to gain unfettered free agency, don't you think they'll go for it?  No. They could have had it in 1993 after White vs NFL, and they bargained it away. I don't think the NFL players want to cancel the draft. I don't even think their goal is to cancel the cap. I think their ultimate goal is to come to the table with equal leverage.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

We're going to have to agree to disagree, Z. The players are not interested in simply getting a fair deal. They want to be seize control over their sport...much like the baseball and NBA players have. They are willingly being led by the nose by the agents...who care nothing about anything, except lining their own pockets. The NFL as we know it is in great peril.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]You think no cap would help the owners?  lol Explain that one.  No cap would hurt the fans.  BAD If Kraft spent more, he'd raise prices and find ways for local corporate sponsors to get in on the action.   It's bad enough now. Look no further than baseball and that's 81 home games compared to 8 for the NFL. The owners keep saying they care about the fans, want 18 games to offset costs, etc, yet want to turn around and screw the fans by wildly raising ticket prices to support a larger budget? Not buying that one. Sorry. The players would love no cap, the owners like the cap. 
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but i thought he meant helps the owners to want to get back to negotiating. Meaning they do NOT want no cap.

Same for when he said no accrued time for players helps them. Again I think he means help them want to go back to negotiating.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : I don't know? How did you get your first job out of college without a draft? Maybe you just send a resume . . . and then go for interviews.  Works everywhere else. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Well, it worked for goodell to get hired in the NFL right out of school. Of course, his father was a US Senator, but I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"But, now what?
    Word on the street is, by early Sept at the latest the players will be unable to pay bills
    ."
         ~BBReigns 

Actually, the more I think about what Rusty says here, the more I freaking LOVE the reality-check to BOTH Owners and Players that having no Pro Football might entail (or having Football simply stuck in each side's self-brought court-room litigation)... 
         1-Time spend-happy, 6 month off-season 8 $200 bottles of bubbly in the VIP Lounge, Players who've never even considered needing their college education, SUDDENLY having to make the ghastly decision to once buy domestic beer over imported 1 night...Honestly, I WOULD painfully live without football for 2 years just to see 1 single picture of Logan Mankins cutting 1 coupon out of the paper (or walking down the bargain aisle at the grocery store to buy in bulk). 
         He!!, it'd be worth it for me just to see Asante Samuel in a USED BMW...  And don'tcha dare think for a second, I wouldn't DREAM of some NFL Owner desperately "needing" to rent out his Stadium towards a Women's high school field hockey Class M semi-regional championship game, simply in order to break even on basic Stadium Maintenance, and State and Town Costs.  I'd lmao seeing Kraft holding a County Fair in Parking Lot A, while he keeps Parking Lot B open for long-distance bus commuters too park their cars in...  

For me, the wake-up slap in the face towards BOTH parties, regarding What once unbelievably succesful enterprise, EACH and ALL sides took so much for granted and then casually threw away without trully considering or caring enough about to simply make a half-hearted CONCERTED effort to come to amicable terms...THIS just might be worth it for me when all's said and done with. 
    Bob Kraft walking down the Street 1 day...and Laz's little nephew asks, "Who's dat important lookin' guy, Uncy Laz?"  I'll reply, "I think he sells mayonaisse wholesale, or something."   THEN an extremely well-dressed and great looking couple comes by on the other side...  "Wow! Who are dey," the nephew asks me?  "Well, I don't know about that guy with the doo of a Mexican soccer player...but THAT girl, Is Gisele Bundchen!!  Hey kid, I'll do something to distract the guy, so I can get a picture of you grabbing the supermodel's #ss." 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from helterskelter. Show helterskelter's posts

[QUOTE]" But, now what? Word on the street is, by early Sept at the latest the players will be unable to pay bills ."      ~BBReigns   Actually, the more I think about what Rusty says here, the more I freaking LOVE the reality-check to BOTH Owners and Players that having no Pro Football might entail The.US is broke forget football think vietnam at best."American money 10 cents on a dollar coming soon to your neighborhood 
    if your luckyPosted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If the owners were really suffering financially so much, why didn't they agree to open their books fully?  They are asking for massive financial concessions from the players.  But they aren't willing to show the players the numbers.  I don't see why the players should agree to a whole bunch of anti-competitive practices (like drafts and restrictions on free agency) that are available only through a CBA--plus agree to salary concessions in the CBA--if the owners aren't going to show them why the concessions are necessary.  If the owners don't want to show the numbers, then why should the players grant them any financial concessions at all or especially allow them to continue anti-competitive practices that are possible only with the players' agreement through a CBA?  The decertification and lawsuit are merely the players saying: "Look owners, if you're going to demand big concessions and are not going to share the numbers with us, then there's no reason for us to grant you all the good things the CBA gives you either. We'll just eliminate collective bargaining altogether and go to the same free market system that works in just about every other industry."  TP seems to think this is some kind of "ultra liberal" conspiracy, but since when is abandoning unionization and collective bargaining and embracing the free market liberal?  It seems to me that the players, in getting rid of their union and calling for a free market approach, are being not just conservative, but downright libertarian.  

Personally, I do think a CBA is beneficial to everyone, but I don't see any reason for the players to grant the owners all the goodies that the CBA gives the owners--and also accept a big pay cut--unless the owners step up to the table and show the players why all these concessions are necessary. The fact that the owners are so adamant about not opening the expense side of their ledgers suggests to me that there's something on that expense side that doesn't help their case.  I suspect a lot of those "expenses" are really big payments to the owners--and some of those payments might not only outrage the players, but more important, might outrage ordinary taxpayers who have been subsidizing the owners' stadiums.* Jerry Jones, after all, got conservative Arlington, Texas,  to raise taxes to help build his football palace. If it turns out that Jones could have paid for that palace all by himself without the help of the Texas taxpayers, I wonder how Texas Pat and his fellow ultra conservative citizens would feel?  Maybe a bit like suckers? Personally, if we're going to raise taxes, I'd like to see the money going to something like education or even reducing the deficit . . . not to a giant video scoreboard.  But this is the way the owners operate. They threaten that football will go away if their demands aren't met . . . and then all the little scaredy-cat sucker fans rally around saying "yes, massa owner, whatever you want, we'll give you."  The owners must laugh a lot over cigars and cognac . . . 

*From Wikipedia:
    To aid Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones in paying the construction costs of the new stadium, Arlington voters approved the increase of the city's sales tax by 0.5 percent, the hotel occupancy tax by 2 percent, and car rental tax by 5 percent. The City of Arlington provided over $325 million (including interest) in bonds as funding,

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

its been obvious from the beginning... and as some have noted here... the players are feeling themselves... and greedier than ever... they need to be broken hard... im glad the owners are doing what they are doin...

look at some of these baseball games ... on tv... nonone in the stands... nonone..  who cares...noone...  football is not above that...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Good grief...blah-blah-blah:  Do we really need ANOTHER thread in which the Far Right makes grandiose claims that the Players alone are greedy and everyone apparently on earth is on the side of the poor billionaire misunderstood, deserved their empire b/c they started in the sock-room NFL owners, and the far left says that both parties are to blame but end up turning towards the dipsh#t jetsetting sport's playing players because the bible-thumpers won't ShutTFU, and we ALL get in to a shouting match about ObamaCare and Reaganomics and The Republicans tell the Democrats to magically find another job, and The Democrats tell The Republicans to adopt an inner-city child who's whole family was evicted from their cardboard box because they couldn't afford a stick of masking tape for the upkeep...?  I'm sure we'll all come to the same mutual understanding regarding our political leanings that we'd like the owners and players to come to, when all's said and done on this thread here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : I don't know? How did you get your first job out of college without a draft? Maybe you just send a resume . . . and then go for interviews.  Works everywhere else. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

I am assuming you are joking. 

But, in case you are not....

If you think the greed and corruption of agents is bad now when they try to manipulate kids out of high school and college, wait until there is no draft.

You will see the absolute destruction of American society go into overdrive.  

HBO Sports just aired a piece about the current and past state of the NCAA and how corrupt it is. And that is WITH a draft.  Imagine if agents could just align with pro teams and skim off the top more so than they do now?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]its been obvious from the beginning... and as some have noted here... the players are feeling themselves... and greedier than ever... they need to be broken hard... im glad the owners are doing what they are doin... look at some of these baseball games ... on tv... nonone in the stands... nonone..  who cares...noone...  football is not above that...
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

Wait!  Bud Selig told me that MLB is as profitable as ever!  WHo cares if 60% of the league is struggling in those markets!   All is well!

Sections
Shortcuts