NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft

To speak to the original point of this thread (as I understand it) I'd be astonished if the draft were eliminated.  It would make for a totally chaotic labor market and eliminate any semblance of competitiive balance.

And count me among those who really don't care who shot John; let's just get him well so that we can have an NFL season this year worth watching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

"Draft Beer, Not Men" -- Mike Vrabel

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

negotiating ploy. If you want a good deal you ask for the moon. If you want a bad deal because you are paid off elsewhere, you do like obama did and take the public option off the table before negotiations even start. I dont think the owners ever expected an 18 game schedule. But starting from that point is just good negotiating. I truly hope the players and owners are smart enough to realize that a less even playing field will hurt the game and their wallets. I had a hard time getting jazzed about the sox this year because of the gross disparity in payrolls, even if its not paying off yet for the sox. Who wants to pay big money to watch 75-3 pro football games, which also render player stats virtually meaningless.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

It comes down to this. 

If the NFL wins the game stays competetive and worth watching. 

If the players win the game becomes like baseball and you can buy yourself a championship every year. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If the owners want me to agree to a lower cap on my salary, there's no reason in the world why I can't demand to see their financials before agreeing to it. If they don't want to show the financials, then there's no reason I need to agree to the lower cap. This is a completely reasonable demand and certainly not unprecedented in labor negotiations.  And actually, it's fully protected by law. In NLRB v. Truitt Manufacturing the Supreme Court held that during labor negotiations unions do have the right to request financial information.  From the preamble to the Court's opinion:

In the circumstances of this case, where the employer claimed that it could not afford to pay higher wages but refused the union's request to produce financial data to substantiate this claim, the National Labor Relations Board was justified in finding that the employer had not bargained in good faith and, therefore, had violated 8 (a) (5) of the National Labor Relations Act. Pp. 149-154.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft:
    In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : Funny stuff! So, if you had no stadium in your market, you'd have no home team. Or, if you had a BAD team in your market, and they wanted but didn't get a new stadium, you'd have no team. Some city out there wouild prostitue itself to attract a NFL team. Phoenix did with the Cardinals. Hartford did with the Pats, Los Angeles did it once, but got fat/ugly soon thereafter. Stop kidding yourself.

So you're arguing that if I'm not a ho someone else will be one so I may as well go ahead and be a ho?  Ha!  No wonder the taxpayers get continually screwed in these stadium deals!  (And despite what Rusty claims, the evidence that stadiums provide significant and lasting financial benefits to the local community is weak. Also, if communities weren't such "hos," then owners would be forced to build their stadiums with their own money where the stadiums would be most economically viable. The communities that got the stadiums would therefore get whatever benefits accrue for free, without paying any extra tax money at all.) 

Also stop kidding yourself as you apparently support these players who seem to have an overinflated value of themselves. Name me any other indusrty where labor DEMAND ownership open it's books?

See elsewhere . . . it's actually a fairly common practice in labor negotiations and protected by law.

The NFL owns the game, and it scalds the players. They want to be the game. I again ask these base questions of any player-sided poster, but have gotten NO reply:  1) Did the NFL roll up and die after the early Packer dynasty died? What about their great teams in the 60's? How about after the Steelers and Fins teams of the 70's retired? 2) Anyone recall how the NFL teetered on financial ruiniation after Montana, Rice, LT, Marino, Elway, Kelley, etc, retired from playing? I seem to recall the leagu chugged along, not skipping a beat.  3) When Jim Brown and Unitas retired, did the NFL take down its shingle?

Yeah, there are always new good players coming into the game. But to be a championship team you need the best players available NOW.  And those best players on the market now will always get high pay.  It's simply supply and demand.  Brady gets his money, because all past and future great QBs aren't on the market right now.  There are only about two or three great QBs available right now.  So those two or three make big money.

if they don't like eh "slave like conditions" of HAVING to accept an average $2.5million/year salary for 5 years (avg career), then I say let them use their highly valued degrees they obtained while metriculatinglong hours at those bastions of higher education and learning, to make the same income over the rest of their lifetimes. They did get educated there, right? 
    Posted by AZPAT

You jealous? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft:
    In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : Prolate - what private entities open their books for the sake of labor negotiations?  At the very least I'd expect you to understand the concept.  

See elsewhere. I understand both the law and typical practice perfectly well. 

As for asking for massive financial concessions, the owners have been very upfront about the fact that they made a mistake in the last negotiation by giving away too much, and at least 3 players or former players including the president of the NFLPA have publicly stated that they got the best of the owners the last time.  

I don't know what kind of negotiation you do, but I like to ask for proof of necessity before I make financial concessions. If you accept your negotiating partners' claims on faith, you'll get eaten alive.

I know that I am going to get your soccer league take again, so I'll attempt to stop it before it begins.  Soccer is the biggest game in the world.  It is more of an industry than the NFL is.  If a player can't get the money he wants in England, he can go to Spain or Italy or Germany, France, Argentina, Brazil, US, etc.  Due to the small size of the NFL, there must be some control to player placement, movement, and compensation. 
    Posted by UD6

Actually, if what you are saying is true, then the NFL is truly a monopoly, which would only strengthen the players' arguments--or maybe force a break up of the league to end the monopoly!

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.