NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft

In a way, I'd kind of like to see the players get exactly what they think they want in these negotiations.

Then we could start a pool and guess how long it takes the "association" to run back to court screaming "Collusion!" when every single player in the league is not immediately offered a lucrative long-term deal with a retarded signing bonus.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft:
         I can't believe that the NFL owners have been so short-sighted and ignorant. They, for the most part, are good businessmen, so they should know better. In court, they have no chance. The legal system is an abyss for them. What's beginning to happen to the owners now is similar to what happened to the MLB owners. They would be wise to cut their losses now, and strike a deal. The longer this process evolves through the courts, the worse it's going to get for them, and, ultimately, for the fans.    
    Posted by TexasPat3

I've been saying from the beginning that the owners should have treated the players more like partners. (I was laughed at for suggesting that by the various pro-owner chest-puffers on this site.) The owners need the union--maybe more than the players do. The owners took an aggressive stance and now they are seeing the consequences of that. Treating your bargaining partner like your best friend often gets you more of what you want than cracking your knuckles and pounding sticks. 

I wonder how much of the owners' strategy is really Goodell's strategy. If Goodell recommended this approach and it backfires, he may find himself "locked out" by the owners in the not too distant future.  

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : I am foreseeing a player owned league that begins to crumble when the highest paid players find out they have to share significant portions of their salaries in order to attract and retain other players to make their team viable while wishing they had the old system back where they simply got paid and took no risk.  NCAA Executives and the other leagues even with all of their issues have got to be popping champagne corks over all of this.   
    Posted by UD6

I'm very impressed with all the theory that we've seen bandied about concerning this topic, but the fact of the matter is that if the "association" manages to do away with the draft and the cap, the owners are still going to be business-savy. Any money teams have to spend to sign Johnny Hot Rod will come directly off the contract of Billy Back-Up. The owners aren't going to p*ss their money down their own legs just to please this particular greedy crop of players, no matter what the courts tell them.

Give them free agency . . .   let the league become top-heavy . . .   the owners don't care. This isn't baseball. TV runs the NFL, and if an inept market like . . . Oh, for instance . . .  Minneapolis . . .   has to pay the price . . . Who cares?

There are plenty of fans in Los Angeles . . .

Even though Los Angeles hasn't supported a team in . . .  well . . . I'll just say "X" number of years.

Y'all crack me up.

I'm not kidding.

You're hilarious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Judge Nelson refused to grant the NFL a stay of the injunction against the lockout. The league will almost certainly appeal, but for now there's no lockout.  Will be interesting to see how the Appeals Court rules on this one.  Another defeat for the owners for now, however.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

The players could win, but they will fall apart before it happens. Theyy have bills to pay.......

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

no draft? they do realize that no one would play for the lions, raiders, etc. any of the perennial losing teams.  I think this proposal is proof that the players have taken too many hits to the head!
    Posted by natesubs

===============

Then the Lions organization would fail, as would any business that cannot attract talented employees.  The Lions are the poster child of organizations that should have failed and been replaced long ago. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

The more that the players win in court, the harder it will be to get a deal done...and the closer we come towards baseball style free agency. That system ruined MLB, unless your a Sox, Yankees, or Phillies fan. It damaged the popularity of the sport, nationwide. The same could happen in the NFL, especially if the courts do away with the draft.      Once the government gets involved in sports, or any other business, are things ever better for the fan, or the consumer?       
    Posted by TexasPat3

I wish the government would stop trying to keep e coli out of my food. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft :      That remains to be seen. Remember, it's not the players calling the shots for the NFLPA. It's the agents. Assuming that the owners are successful with the 8th circuit court of appeals, they should be careful not to over-play their hand.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

The agents aren't "calling the shots."  This is just your uninformed opinion.  Do you know who Ted Olson is, what he did before he began representing the players, or (sadly) what happened to his wife on 9/11? If you want to know who's really calling the shots right now, look to Olson and his colleagues on the players' legal team. 

(Olson, by the way, was George Bush's lawyer who argued for Bush in Bush v. Gore--i.e., hanging chads--before the Supreme Court . . . and won; interestingly, the owners are represented by Gore's lawyer in the same case, David Boies.  Go figure that one . . .)

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts