NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft

In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : Um...Laz...don't know where on earth you possibly got that idea. I'm about as left as it gets, and proud of it! In fact, Obama is WAAAY too centrist for me.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Eh, ahh, ya- Sorry...I'm ah- I'm pretty much just swinging blindly by now.  Sometimes when I fail at having common sense or being astute, I quickly try to make up for that by being impetuous.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The more that the players win in court, the harder it will be to get a deal done...and the closer we come towards baseball style free agency. That system ruined MLB, unless your a Sox, Yankees, or Phillies fan. It damaged the popularity of the sport, nationwide. The same could happen in the NFL, especially if the courts do away with the draft.

Once the government gets involved in sports, or any other business, are things ever better for the fan, or the consumer?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

TP - On its face, I agree with your comment, and as a small market fan, I truly hope it doesn't come to this.  However, isn't it true that NFL owners share a larger percentage of revenue than any other sports?

If so, while no one may be able to stop Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder from buying wins (I hold Kraft to a higher standard although he is one of the big money owners), maybe enough money is shared to allow most teams to stay competitive. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP - On its face, I agree with your comment, and as a small market fan, I truly hope it doesn't come to this.  However, isn't it true that NFL owners share a larger percentage of revenue than any other sports?

RESPONSE: Are you asking me, or are you telling me? Right now, as I understand it, the players get 58 cents out of every dollar that's taken in. That's why the owners want a new deal.

If so, while no one may be able to stop Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder from buying wins (I hold Kraft to a higher standard although he is one of the big money owners), maybe enough money is shared to allow most teams to stay competitive.

RESPONSE: That's a pipe dream. Big money, big market teams like the Cowboys, Giants, Jets, Washington and, eventually Los Angeles, will engage in bidding wars on guys like Peyton.  Plus, if there's no draft, how will teams like Indy, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay be able to compete? 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In a way, I'd kind of like to see the players get exactly what they think they want in these negotiations.

Then we could start a pool and guess how long it takes the "association" to run back to court screaming "Collusion!" when every single player in the league is not immediately offered a lucrative long-term deal with a retarded signing bonus.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I can't believe that the NFL owners have been so short-sighted and ignorant. They, for the most part, are good businessmen, so they should know better. In court, they have no chance. The legal system is an abyss for them. What's beginning to happen to the owners now is similar to what happened to the MLB owners. They would be wise to cut their losses now, and strike a deal. The longer this process evolves through the courts, the worse it's going to get for them, and, ultimately, for the fans.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

TP - I am asking. 

But you are right, small market teams will have to hope to get a midrange qb out of college that develops into a great QB, but hope to sign him to a long term deal before he becomes great (what a risk) because they won't have the money to bid for his services when he does.  

As Goodell said, the small markets will become the minor leagues for the big markets while also having to compete against them.  If this goes much further, I wonder if we start seeing small market owners interested in selling their franchises. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In a way, I'd kind of like to see the players get exactly what they think they want in these negotiations. Then we could start a pool and guess how long it takes the "association" to run back to court screaming "Collusion!" when every single player in the league is not immediately offered a lucrative long-term deal with a retarded signing bonus.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I am foreseeing a player owned league that begins to crumble when the highest paid players find out they have to share significant portions of their salaries in order to attract and retain other players to make their team viable while wishing they had the old system back where they simply got paid and took no risk. 

NCAA Executives and the other leagues even with all of their issues have got to be popping champagne corks over all of this.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]     I can't believe that the NFL owners have been so short-sighted and ignorant. They, for the most part, are good businessmen, so they should know better. In court, they have no chance. The legal system is an abyss for them. What's beginning to happen to the owners now is similar to what happened to the MLB owners. They would be wise to cut their losses now, and strike a deal. The longer this process evolves through the courts, the worse it's going to get for them, and, ultimately, for the fans.    
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I've been saying from the beginning that the owners should have treated the players more like partners. (I was laughed at for suggesting that by the various pro-owner chest-puffers on this site.) The owners need the union--maybe more than the players do. The owners took an aggressive stance and now they are seeing the consequences of that. Treating your bargaining partner like your best friend often gets you more of what you want than cracking your knuckles and pounding sticks. 

I wonder how much of the owners' strategy is really Goodell's strategy. If Goodell recommended this approach and it backfires, he may find himself "locked out" by the owners in the not too distant future.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Again...for all of you who are siding with the players...be careful what you wish for: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/27/janoris-jenkins-could-be-the-first-to-directly-attack-the-draft/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]     Again...for all of you who are siding with the players...be careful what you wish for: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/27/janoris-jenkins-could-be-the-first-to-directly-attack-the-draft/

Jenkins isn't getting anything. The lawsuit is about the owners holding the draft, etcetera without a CBA in place and without negotiating toward one. Unless a union of some sort and the owners agree to things like a draft and salary cap, they are illegal. 

Not to mention the fact that the current injunction would essentially allow the draft to go under the rules set by the owners, and the players sought that injunction. It would be a terrible case for Jenkins or the rookies.

Prolate is 100% correct. The owners should come back to the table and stop the lockout voluntarily. It's insanity and is very unlikely that a court is going to defend their right to arbitraily impose drafts and salary caps without an agreement from the players.

I also agree with his speculation about Goodell. The way the owners have gone after the players absolutely reeks of the ham-fisted approach that Goodell has taken toward fines, fees, and punishment. He has had, since the beginning of his tenure, a tendency to act like a biased despot, and it has flavored the negotiations from the beginning.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

If the owners came back to the table, with whom or what would they negotiate?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : Jenkins isn't getting anything. The lawsuit is about the owners holding the draft, etcetera without a CBA in place and without negotiating toward one. Unless a union of some sort and the owners agree to things like a draft and salary cap, they are illegal.  Not to mention the fact that the current injunction would essentially allow the draft to go under the rules set by the owners, and the players sought that injunction. It would be a terrible case for Jenkins or the rookies. Prolate is 100% correct. The owners should come back to the table and stop the lockout voluntarily. It's insanity and is very unlikely that a court is going to defend their right to arbitraily impose drafts and salary caps without an agreement from the players. I also agree with his speculation about Goodell. The way the owners have gone after the players absolutely reeks of the ham-fisted approach that Goodell has taken toward fines, fees, and punishment. He has had, since the beginning of his tenure, a tendency to act like a biased despot, and it has flavored the negotiations from the beginning.   
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Totally agree about "Jets" Goodell. Us Pats fans know all too well what a "biased despot" he has been over the past several years. I hope he's lustily booed by the draftniks at Radio City Music Hall, on Thursday night, 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft :      Totally agree about "Jets" Goodell. Us Pats fans know all too well what a "biased despot" he has been over the past several years. I hope he's lustily booed by the draftniks at Radio City Music Hall, on Thursday night, 

Lustily???  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : I am foreseeing a player owned league that begins to crumble when the highest paid players find out they have to share significant portions of their salaries in order to attract and retain other players to make their team viable while wishing they had the old system back where they simply got paid and took no risk.  NCAA Executives and the other leagues even with all of their issues have got to be popping champagne corks over all of this.   
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

I'm very impressed with all the theory that we've seen bandied about concerning this topic, but the fact of the matter is that if the "association" manages to do away with the draft and the cap, the owners are still going to be business-savy. Any money teams have to spend to sign Johnny Hot Rod will come directly off the contract of Billy Back-Up. The owners aren't going to p*ss their money down their own legs just to please this particular greedy crop of players, no matter what the courts tell them.

Give them free agency . . .   let the league become top-heavy . . .   the owners don't care. This isn't baseball. TV runs the NFL, and if an inept market like . . . Oh, for instance . . .  Minneapolis . . .   has to pay the price . . . Who cares?

There are plenty of fans in Los Angeles . . .

Even though Los Angeles hasn't supported a team in . . .  well . . . I'll just say "X" number of years.

Y'all crack me up.

I'm not kidding.

You're hilarious.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Judge Nelson refused to grant the NFL a stay of the injunction against the lockout. The league will almost certainly appeal, but for now there's no lockout.  Will be interesting to see how the Appeals Court rules on this one.  Another defeat for the owners for now, however.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : I'm very impressed with all the theory that we've seen bandied about concerning this topic, but the fact of the matter is that if the "association" manages to do away with the draft and the cap, the owners are still going to be business-savy. Any money teams have to spend to sign Johnny Hot Rod will come directly off the contract of Billy Back-Up. The owners aren't going to p*ss their money down their own legs just to please this particular greedy crop of players, no matter what the courts tell them. Give them free agency . . .   let the league become top-heavy . . .   the owners don't care. This isn't baseball. TV runs the NFL, and if an inept market like . . . Oh, for instance . . .  Minneapolis . . .   has to pay the price . . . Who cares? There are plenty of fans in Los Angeles . . . Even though Los Angeles hasn't supported a team in . . .  well . . . I'll just say "X" number of years. Y'all crack me up. I'm not kidding. You're hilarious.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Water finds it's own level Mike. I think baseball is a great example. Revenue percentage to the players stays between 54-60. It fluxuates wildly in there, but over a large sample is much higher in absolute terms than what NFL players get here, and owners just get along exactly the way you are explaining it.

The idea that the NFL owners will spend themselves dead is just a scary bedtime story.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

The players could win, but they will fall apart before it happens. Theyy have bills to pay.......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : I'm very impressed with all the theory that we've seen bandied about concerning this topic, but the fact of the matter is that if the "association" manages to do away with the draft and the cap, the owners are still going to be business-savy. Any money teams have to spend to sign Johnny Hot Rod will come directly off the contract of Billy Back-Up. The owners aren't going to p*ss their money down their own legs just to please this particular greedy crop of players, no matter what the courts tell them. Give them free agency . . .   let the league become top-heavy . . .   the owners don't care. This isn't baseball. TV runs the NFL, and if an inept market like . . . Oh, for instance . . .  Minneapolis . . .   has to pay the price . . . Who cares? There are plenty of fans in Los Angeles . . . Even though Los Angeles hasn't supported a team in . . .  well . . . I'll just say "X" number of years. Y'all crack me up. I'm not kidding. You're hilarious.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

The mighty mike has spoken.  Can you dig it? 

I am sure you wouldn't care one bit if Minny became LA.  You're a pats fan.  Besides LA got the Laker's, right?  I am sure you don't mind because your favored team would be included in the top-heavy group. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFLPA Wants To Eliminate the Draft : Lustily???  
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Dog(gggg)...really...you really need to get that GED: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Lustily 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Patty - I was not questioning the word's definition, but rather your decision to use it.  Apparently, Brady's foray into Fabio's world has had an affect on you. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ummm, the fact that the Vikings have already put a gun to Minny's head for a free stadium or else they move, in part because under the NFL's current status they can, doesn't affect this doomsday scenario?

I fail to see the difference...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Again, for those of you who favor the players in this NFL labor mess, be careful what you wish for. The NFLPA's position is being controlled and driven by player agents. The agents are lawyers. They seek unfettered, unrestricted free agency for all players, and an end to the NFL draft. They have no interest in what's best for the fans, or the game. They seek a system which allows them to make the most money that they can, off the game:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/07/law-firm-still-trying-to-recruit-players-to-intervene-in-antitrust-lawsuit/

Meanwhile, the owners want to prevent what has happened in theNBA, and in MLB. They wish to play hardball, in order to regain control of the game.   

If the players "win", the ability of small market teams to compete may be seriously compromised. Players' salaries would escalate, meaning that the price of tickets and/or season tickets would inflate, and will rise above the means of the average fan. In other words, if the players win, there's likely to be higher ticket prices, and completely unrestricted free agency...which would lead to a league of haves and have nots.

Should the system as we know it come crashing down, it's conceivable that both Peyton Manning and Logan Mankins would become unfettered free agents, and that the 2012 extra first and second round picks acquired by the Pats during the 2011 draft, will be lost.

If the owners win, they'll likely be no football in all or part of the 2011 season...as a protracted lock-out will be necessary to bring the players to their knees.

The longer that this labor mess remains in the courts, the worse it will likely be for the owners. Plaintiff's lawyers are creative thinkers, who eventually will find theories and/or ways to overcome obstacles in the law. Plus, the current political climate favors them. 

Either way...this is a lose-lose proposition for the fans, which doesn't promise to end anytime soon.

Thoughts?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

[QUOTE]no draft? they do realize that no one would play for the lions, raiders, etc. any of the perennial losing teams.  I think this proposal is proof that the players have taken too many hits to the head!
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

===============

Then the Lions organization would fail, as would any business that cannot attract talented employees.  The Lions are the poster child of organizations that should have failed and been replaced long ago. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]     The more that the players win in court, the harder it will be to get a deal done...and the closer we come towards baseball style free agency. That system ruined MLB, unless your a Sox, Yankees, or Phillies fan. It damaged the popularity of the sport, nationwide. The same could happen in the NFL, especially if the courts do away with the draft.      Once the government gets involved in sports, or any other business, are things ever better for the fan, or the consumer?       

I wish the government would stop trying to keep e coli out of my food.