NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing

Here is an interesting article from Forbes.

Sanchez tops list of NFL’s most overpaid

It’s been a decent start for third-year quarterback Mark Sanchez(notes), the former first round pick who’s completed 63 percent of his passes and thrown for four touchdowns in leading the New York Jets to victories in their first two games.

Sanchez, though, has also thrown three interceptions. He enters Week 3 with a middle-of-the-road passer rating of 87.7. That’s an improvement over the low 70s Sanchez averaged in his first two seasons after signing a rookie contract worth up to $60 million over five years. This season happen to be the balloon year of Sanchez’s five-year deal: he’s owed $14.75 million. Like any QB drafted high, Sanchez is being paid for the potential the club figures he has to develop into a star. But while he’s progressing, there’s no way to avoid viewing his salary as anything but excessive until that big year actually comes.

Hence, Sanchez is our choice to top the 2011 list of the NFL’s most overpaid players. Measuring pay vs. performance is trickier for football than for other sports. Quarterback ratings and yardage numbers are useful, but statistics in the NFL trend toward systems and game plans more so than in other sports. A top cornerback may lack big stats because opposing offenses avoid throwing to his side of the field (the Jets’ Darrelle Revis(notes), known as a top corner, picked off zero passes last season because he rarely saw the ball).

So picking the most overpaid requires a touch of subjectivity and some common sense. Going down the list of the NFL’s highest 100 salaries for 2011, we focused on those whose career history is lacking not only statistically (QB passer ratings, etc.) but on those who haven’t consistently earned starting berths or who haven’t made All Pro despite collecting one of the top salaries in the game at his position. Base 2011 salaries were used, according to data kept by spotrac.com – not annual averages or one-time bonus payments.

Quarterbacks joining Sanchez on the all-overpaid list: San Francisco’s Alex Smith, who’s started just 50 games while putting up mediocre stats over six seasons, and Kansas City’s Matt Cassel(notes), who is coming off a Pro Bowl season for the first time but whose $12.25 salary still dwarfs his status among top QBs.

Others fitting the bill: Atlanta Falcons’ cornerback Dunta Robinson(notes), whose $5.5 million salary places him in the top ten at his position despite the fact that he’s never made All Pro and who is ranked by ESPN as the NFL’s 19th best corner, and Miami defensive tackle Paul Soliai(notes), who will collect over $12 million this season after the Dolphins tagged him as their franchise player, despite starting just 20 games in his first four years.

The top five:

1. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/mark-sanchez-2?partner=yahoosports">Mark Sanchez, New York Jets
    2. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/roy-williams-dunta-robinson?partner=yahoosports">Dunta Robinson, Atlanta Falcons
    3. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/alex-smith?partner=yahoosports">Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers
    4. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/paul-soliai-2?partner=yahoosports">Paul Soliai, Miami Dolphins
    5. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/owen-daniels?partner=yahoosports">Owen Daniels, Houston Texans

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing

I just don't understand the concern with how much money a player on another team makes or for that matter how another team allocates their cap money.  Isn't the whole point of a salary cap to equalize revenue discrepancies.  If we are spending our money more evenly accross the board, besides Brady and Wilfork and we have nothing to show for it, why is it any better than spending 3/4 cap on 4 players?  I sure wish that we would spend big money on a true impact player once in a while, instead of these 'value' has beens like Ocho, Ellis, and Haynesworth.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

In Response to Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing:
    Yeah, you wouldn't. Let's just throw the cap idea right out the window.  Everyone has an open checkbook like the Yankees and it's not 53 players on a roster. Also, football is not a team sport, it's really just 5 or 6 positions you have to account for. I don't care how my team is run and I hate that it's run poorly. Carry on, Bob.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

You're just talking foolishness now. 
    Who said we should throw the cap out or that I don't care how we're run financially?  I'm saying that the cap is the great equalizer.  If you spend a good chunk on a few guys that is less for everyone else.  So, if you can get better talent for top dollar, why is that a problem?  You're under the same cap as everyone else.  I don't even like the crying is baseball.  As unfair as it is for teams like Boston, NY, NY, & LA to be able to make up for huge mistakes with giant payrolls, teams show time and time again that you can compete with small payrolls.  In football, worrying about how ANOTHER team spends money is kind of sad, considering they have the same size bag of money we do.  And how is this 'value' spending working for us lately?  Wouldn't you like to take that chunk of money we have sitting around and have a true impact player?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Some fans here don't get it, Bob. I was being sarcastic. They think that based on trhe market, it doesn't matter how much you pay who and what. This is the Michael Felger-speak/people who are clueless and think they know more than very successful NFL front office people with an actual resume of successes. I don't care what the Jets do.  I watch them bragging about their ways and successes and laugh at it. What's "sad": is telling everyone who great you are and how well run you are, with nothing to show for it, desperation, a mass exodus of players from your 11-5 SB season and then acting like you budgeted well. Fact is, Sanchez and Revis are so overpaid, it's hurt their cap number. Hence, why Sanchez took a pay cut to restructure to even help them resign key people like Cromartie. When you have limited pipeline development, too,  that also affects your FA negotiating leverage. But, these concepts don't apply to the Jets.  Just to everyone else in the NFL. lol The spending for us is working incredibly well when you look at AFC competitors from last decade like Indy, or even Pitt, the latter whom all of a sudden has a REALLY old defense an AWFUL O Line and some big issues of their own. We'll see how Baltimore looks when an aging Lewis and Reed can't play anymore, too. I like my extended window of opportunity as a Pats fan. See the differences?

Revis is overpaid, he is also the best CB in football (maybe the seond best, but who cares?).  The best players cost a lot of money, as do high first round draft choices.  Almost every competative team is up near the cap and has players restructure to get it rolling.  It seems that is a yearly thing with us.  Didn't we have some guys this year do that?  Hasn't Brady done that in the past to get more help at weak positions?  Sometimes what you get when 98% of your team is made up of 'value' players is a team that is pretty good and pretty deep while you sit 10-15 mil under the cap. 
    But for all this complaining about all of these overpaid players on the Jets, how are they in the same position we are financially?  I would guess they must have some 'value' guys too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

Some people want the team run like a video game team.  Pay a few big names big money and fill in the roster with scrubs.  Take an 'all-in' approach and pray that it works once, and when it doesn't, watch the steady decline or at best continue to tread water and hope to hit it big with one of the draft picks that you didn't trade away. 

NE has chosen to build in a way that fosters long term success.  Have they won a SB in the past few years?  No, but neither has Dallas, NYJ, or Oakland.  NE has been in contention all those years, every year.  Even in the "down" years.  What about the others?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Brady's 1st 3 years in the league as a starter his passer rating was 86.5, 85.7, and 85.9  respectively between 01-03

in 06 he had a rating of 87.

Whats the point?

It doesnt matter where you get drafted its what you do.  The amount of money Sanchez got as a rookie will even out if he isnt a player and his second contract will be reflective of that.

Same way as Brady played for peanuts early on but is now getting 20 mill/year. It all evens out.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Exactly the point, Mike.  This method is no more effective than the other. We just want to beleive it is.  I, for one, would love to take that pile of cash and bring in a marquee player instead of lining Kraft's pocket.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

You say, "who cares" and I ask you to find me a team that has ever won a SB with  15% plus of payroll tied to a CB? Add in Cromartie, at 10 million, and you will not find any NFL team who has that much money at that positioin winning a SB in the cap era. Just hasn't happened and won't happen.  Even GB last year had Woodson and the up and coming Tramon Williams Look at all the last 10 SB winners.   None had overpriced CBs or QBs, for that matter. Also, not all 1st rd draft picks cost a lot of money. Depends on where you were chosen, the position or if you went first in Round 1 at that position or not. Finally, I am not "complaining" about the Jets situation, I am thoroughly enjoying it.  They gambled in 2010 and blew it.  Their pipeline for players is really weak, especially at OLB and RB. When Revis holds out after this season, you can think of this discussion.  Right now there are teams who need to spend more next year, who would love to bid on him. Everything counts and it all adds up. 

You are quick to make excuse for our D giving up all those yards becasue the league is changing, pass happy, etc, but you don't consider the other side of investing money in the CB position to offset that.  It was the pass D that beat us last year.  Maybe not such a terrible investment. Aso would have looked nice in our d backfield.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Tarvaris Jackson "earns" less than 1/7 of what the Sanchize makes, and even at that is wildly overpaid.

I have nothing further to add to this discussion.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

Exactly the point, Mike.  This method is no more effective than the other. We just want to beleive it is.  I, for one, would love to take that pile of cash and bring in a marquee player instead of lining Kraft's pocket.
    Posted by HaverhillBob

So you want the team run like a video game?  OK that's fine, I guess if that's the way you feel.  Neither method is more effective over a one year period, but NE's method if definitely more effective over the long run.  It gives teams the most chances at success.  I mean if the Jets, for example, don't cash in last year (didn't happen) or this year, they could be in the dumpster for a while.  If NE doesn't win this year, they keep on going with just as good of a chance next year and the year after.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Truth is Sanchez is very similar to Brady in his early years. Both were considered system players who thrived off playing with a top notch defense. They both had games early on they would like to have back w/multiple picks, and they both like to take compromising pics of themselves.  Now we know Tom is no longer a system qb, and has surpassed expectations and all is left now is to see how Sanchez progresses and if he can still win w/out a great defense. Hopefully we can judge that later on.

I dont think Sanchez will ever be that great, but as long as he has some weapons and a good "D" he will be a winner.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Brady was always a fairly accurate QB and made pretty good decisions from the start.  Sanchez, not so much.  Though I did read an article last week that was interesting.  It was about his college attempts. Coming out of college he had less than 1/2 as many attempts as Peyton Manning did.  Almost any QB coach will tell you, it's almost entirely about reps for QB development.  After two years in the NFL his reps were where they should have been coming out of college.  There's a reason why guys generally do better when they stay in for 4 years.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

In Response to Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing : That's fine. I don't disagree with getting quality at the position, but I also know that Leigh Bodden is good quality and much less than Dunta Robinson.  Stinks that Bodden missed last year, but he would have helped in 2010. McCourty had an incredible rookie year and BB further deepend this spot with what appears to be a solid looking rookie in Dowling.   Maybe he could have got a veteran, but maybe Dowling offers the same quality at a far lesser price, allowing for someone like, say, Shaun Ellis to help the DE spot? See how this works? Would you rathe pay two CBs close to 35 million dollars in an 120 mil dollar cap or do what BB just did? This could be close to 30% in 2011 for them if Revis hits his bonuses.  30% for two players at one position? It's great for Revis and Cromartie, but you best hope neither gets hurt. I'd rather let BB's front 7 and his schemes, with 7 plus bodies dictate how good my CBs look, put the money there, and pay less at CB. The way Snyder has tried it, Al Davis with Asamugha, or now the Jets, will not work. But, you can pretend it will.  That's your opinion.

Bodden is decent and a good value.  He's just not great.  Our roster is full of those guys.  Great value, great value.. that's how I shop for groceries, except when I want some steak. 
    It's cute to use Revis's 2011 salary to make your point, but it's not like he's getting 25 mil a year.  To continue to try to play it that way, is intentionally misleading and kind of petty.  If he was getting 100 mil of 4 years, I have no problem with calling it 25 mil a year.  I think he got 40 something for 4 years.  I guess that 25 mil this year, leaves a relatively small amount left after this year.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Well, he was ranked 14th as a CB in 2009 by PFF, on a team with a poor pass rush and a bad locker room. He's well above the average.  No one said he's a great player or All Pro. Personally, I think he's highly underrated by fans here and it's a shame people don't appreciate good play. If out roster is full of guys like the quality of Bodden at his position, then you can expect a very deep playoff run this year, "Bob". Or, are you a really restrained Phat Rex? Hmmmm. It's "cute" for me to state facts, huh? The fact of the matter is, you'll never see a team spend to the penny of the cap because you have to account for bonuses. It's a hard cap. This isn't the NBA. If the Jets are trying to win a SB, then why aren't they right to the cap as they do so? As for Revis's threat to hold out, if he thinks he deserves more on the market than what he'll get on the books next year (far less than this year), than it's still an issue either with budgeting for him, overpaying in my opinion, or worrying about him holding out.

I think our roster has been filled with guys like Bodden for many years.  Good players who play at a higher level than their price tag says they should.  But then, we get a guys like TBC in their who was grossly overpaid and wiped out another guy's value. 
    I don't buy into this lack of pass rush excuse for Bodden.  Great CBs are great, regardless.  I don't recall Aso or Revis having a great pass rush in front of them. 
    Point is you need a mix of pretty good players at value tags and outstanding players who tend to cost a lot.  This value approach does one thing well.  If you get injuries, it allows you to continue on with very little dropoff.  It's like insurance.  It's nice to have when you get in an accident, but after 5 years, you wonder what all that cash got you, same as the team that spent the same amount just on their starters.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Well, he was ranked 14th as a CB in 2009 by PFF, on a team with a poor pass rush and a bad locker room. He's well above the average.  No one said he's a great player or All Pro. Personally, I think he's highly underrated by fans here and it's a shame people don't appreciate good play. If out roster is full of guys like the quality of Bodden at his position, then you can expect a very deep playoff run this year, "Bob". Or, are you a really restrained Phat Rex? Hmmmm. It's "cute" for me to state facts, huh? The fact of the matter is, you'll never see a team spend to the penny of the cap because you have to account for bonuses. It's a hard cap. This isn't the NBA. If the Jets are trying to win a SB, then why aren't they right to the cap as they do so? As for Revis's threat to hold out, if he thinks he deserves more on the market than what he'll get on the books next year (far less than this year), than it's still an issue either with budgeting for him, overpaying in my opinion, or worrying about him holding out.

Bad locker room?  What are you talking about?  Bill would not allow that.  In fact, we sign draft and sign guys specifically with that in mind. 

Sections
Shortcuts