NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing

Sanchez is overpaid based on two years of production where he was learning on the job.  He's in a rookie deal and the contract is based on the old CBA.  Going forward his salary will probably better reflect his true market value and won't be propped up by a flawed rookie salary structure that has since been replaced.  If you want to criticize the Jets, criticize using the pick, not what they had to pay the guy.  That was outside their control.     

Sanchez looks better this year, the stats show it and watching the Jets he looks more composed, even if the TD-Int ratio isn't great.  Was he ultimately worth the #5(?) pick? I don't know, Josh Freeman looks like he should've been picked 2nd behind Stafford and would've looked good in green.  But if continues to improve the Jets have themselves a serviceable QB at worst and probably at a dollar amount based in reality. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

In Response to Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing:
    In Response to Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing : So you want the team run like a video game?  OK that's fine, I guess if that's the way you feel.  Neither method is more effective over a one year period, but NE's method if definitely more effective over the long run.  It gives teams the most chances at success.  I mean if the Jets, for example, don't cash in last year (didn't happen) or this year, they could be in the dumpster for a while.  If NE doesn't win this year, they keep on going with just as good of a chance next year and the year after.
    Posted by Mike-J-D

Maybe, maybe not.  Seems like with the addition of Albert, Ellis, Ocho, etc etc we sort of changed our approach from the last few years.  This method is more similar to the one that helped us win the superbowls, except that these guys are no Harrison, Cox, Washington, etc.  I don't know that we have any more of a chance to be competative than the Steelers, Jets, Packers, Ravens, etc.  I think as long as we have Tom Brady, we will be a competative team.  The guy is the best and there is nobody else I'd want there. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Brady's 1st 3 years in the league as a starter his passer rating was 86.5, 85.7, and 85.9  respectively between 01-03 in 06 he had a rating of 87. Whats the point? It doesnt matter where you get drafted its what you do.  The amount of money Sanchez got as a rookie will even out if he isnt a player and his second contract will be reflective of that. Same way as Brady played for peanuts early on but is now getting 20 mill/year. It all evens out.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

You are talking apples and oranges here. 2001-2003 were before the league gutted the contact rules. All passer ratings are up up up since those days.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing : You are talking apples and oranges here. 2001-2003 were before the league gutted the contact rules. All passer ratings are up up up since those days.
    Posted by BabeParilli

touche Babe!

You are right about that. This is why I think its hard to compare players from different era's.

We like to say Brady is like Montana, and this I agree with, but besides their cool demeanor, accuracy and skinny legs, they play in 2 totally different era's.

Montana played in the league when it was still ok to Kill quarterbacks.

Brady in contrast had a rule put in place for protection of Qbs because of a hit he took.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Brady in contrast had a rule put in place for protection of Qbs because of a hit he took.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Which, apparently, is not going to be called . . .  or at least only when it suits the officials' mood and the league's agenda . . .

Whatever that might be.

Cool

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The formula for team building with a cap is as follows:

Note: Within this hierarchy an elite QB is a vital component in today's pass happy NFL. Great things can happen without that, but your chances are slim.

1. Draft - this is by far the most critical factor in team building with a cap. Players that fill a need who are immediate impact are the single most effective component of a build due to the relatively low cap hit during the rookie contract. Having a draft pick develop into a star by the end of their rookie contract is a fool's errand. By that time you have to pay top dollar for the talent you have developed to keep them. The first 3 rounds are critical and after that you are just hoping to get lucky.

2. Undrafted FAs - Much like the latter rounds of the draft you are looking to get lucky here and find contributors for cheap.

3. FAs - Here you are paying top dollar for the talent in most every case. Unless you are extremely sure they will perform to that level and fit a dire need it is advisable to not go here.

4. Retain your veterans - This is virtually the same as signing a FA. By the time a rookie has finished the first contract you will likely pay close to top dollar for the talent. As with any FA signing you must be sure they will perform well and fill a great need.

This is the reality of what is necessary to create a great team when you have a cap. The problem for the Pats has been that too many top tier draft picks and to a lesser extent a number of FAs have not been effective choices.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing : touche Babe! You are right about that. This is why I think its hard to compare players from different era's. We like to say Brady is like Montana, and this I agree with, but besides their cool demeanor, accuracy and skinny legs, they play in 2 totally different era's. Montana played in the league when it was still ok to Kill quarterbacks. Brady in contrast had a rule put in place for protection of Qbs because of a hit he took.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Comparisons are difficult. Montana had Rice. Brady plays in December in New England. Montana's mobility was a greater asset when contact was less restricted. There are many many factors that make comparisons of different eras tough.

One thing we do know; if you had to choose between Brady and Montana you couldn't make a bad choice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So, if they are getting MORE value or BETTER players than expected in a ROund 4, 5, or 6 or even undrafted like a BJGE, Woodhead, Fletcher, etc, just how devastating is it missing on a Chad Jackson in Round 2? When you draft Asante Samuel in Round 4 or a Koppen in Round 5, that offsets a miss somewhere else in a Round 2. The key is not to miss in Round 1 and BB never has, outside of disappointments like Watson, Maroney and Meriweather, all 3 contributing to winning teams, but underachieving. But, those aren't busts or dehabilitating screw ups. Again, look around the NFL to compare.  SD drafted Larry English.  Philly drafted Brandon Graham last year.  What have they done as 1st rd picks?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

That's the game. Whoever makes the most good choices wins.

Our drafting has not been abject failure by any means. But logic states that if it had been better we would see better results.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Bob correct me if im wrong but it seemed to me that the point of your first post was to say why do people care what OTHER TEAMS do with their money. And before people say they dont care let me point the number of Jet related threads started on this Patriots forum. People are 100% obsessed with the Jets around here, people go out their way to bring the Jets into almost every thread or conversation.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

And by "people," he means Rusty.

Wink

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

LMF AO @ Russell. I'd say anyone that post on BDC as much as you has no life , no job , no girl/wife and no idea what your talking about. I'd say that anyone who has almost 7000 post in less than a year is sad and pathetic.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

by the way you are talking you would think it was the Jets and not us that were one and done last year.

You just dont get it do you...

The Jets trolls live here because they represent a team that presents a real challenge to our division and our postseason success.  Last time we played, they sent us home,.

This is why I choose not to talk about the Jets cuz we have nothing to say. They come here to gloat cuz they took us out the playoffs in a year that we dominated the reg. season and had a legit team as anyone heading in, even if you use the rebuilding excuse.  Bottom Line is WE have won the Chip more recently than 1979, YES. Beyond that we are just 2 good teams in a good division battling every year for Supremacy and they have the bragging rights as of right now, IMO

We need to let the Pats play do the talking and stop having these wishful thougths of the Jets laying down or going away anytime soon. THEY are NOT

We need to Play better in the postseason or we will continue to hit that Playoff Wall. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

LMF AO @ Russell. I'd say anyone that post on BDC as much as you has no life , no job , no girl/wife and no idea what your talking about. I'd say that anyone who has almost 7000 post in less than a year is sad and pathetic.
    Posted by startrightnow

You are clearly not aware of Rusty's superior typing and multi-taking skills.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

I would say that the Yets trolls like to get under peoples skin and talk trash and all that. And they might obsessed with you Rusty since they follow you around like a lost dog lol but I would say Pats fans have become quite obsessed with proving that the Pats are better then the Jets in everyway possible. I dont know why we feel the need to prove anything, our record stands for itself and so does theirs. Like why does everything have to come back to Sanchez or the Jets even when no one is talking about either of those things? I guess its cause the media and the Jets fanbase have crowned themselves but I mean sometimes this forum is like going to a Jets forum and that cant be blamed strictly on trolls Rusty.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

That's what trolls do.  Any reasonable person can filter out that crip from the legitimate points.  I don't hate any teams enough (since the Elway Broncos) to bash the way they build a team that wins playoff games.  Champions have come from many different team building methods. To state that a team has never won a championship by spend X dollars on the CB position is as relevant as saying a team has never won a superbowl spending 20 mil on QB.  The game is always changing.  A lot of things have to go right to win the superbowl.  And to discount a team because of where it spends it's money as opposed to the quality of the players, or the number of games it wins is ludicrous.    

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing:
    Here is an interesting article from Forbes. Sanchez tops list of NFL’s most overpaid By Tom Van Riper, Forbes.com Sep 20, 2:57 pm EDT It’s been a decent start for third-year quarterback Mark Sanchez (notes) , the former first round pick who’s completed 63 percent of his passes and thrown for four touchdowns in leading the New York Jets to victories in their first two games. Sanchez, though, has also thrown three interceptions. He enters Week 3 with a middle-of-the-road passer rating of 87.7. That’s an improvement over the low 70s Sanchez averaged in his first two seasons after signing a rookie contract worth up to $60 million over five years. This season happen to be the balloon year of Sanchez’s five-year deal: he’s owed $14.75 million. Like any QB drafted high, Sanchez is being paid for the potential the club figures he has to develop into a star. But while he’s progressing, there’s no way to avoid viewing his salary as anything but excessive until that big year actually comes.     Hence, Sanchez is our choice to top the 2011 list of the NFL’s most overpaid players. Measuring pay vs. performance is trickier for football than for other sports. Quarterback ratings and yardage numbers are useful, but statistics in the NFL trend toward systems and game plans more so than in other sports. A top cornerback may lack big stats because opposing offenses avoid throwing to his side of the field (the Jets’ Darrelle Revis (notes) , known as a top corner, picked off zero passes last season because he rarely saw the ball). So picking the most overpaid requires a touch of subjectivity and some common sense. Going down the list of the NFL’s highest 100 salaries for 2011, we focused on those whose career history is lacking not only statistically (QB passer ratings, etc.) but on those who haven’t consistently earned starting berths or who haven’t made All Pro despite collecting one of the top salaries in the game at his position. Base 2011 salaries were used, according to data kept by spotrac.com – not annual averages or one-time bonus payments. Quarterbacks joining Sanchez on the all-overpaid list: San Francisco’s Alex Smith , who’s started just 50 games while putting up mediocre stats over six seasons, and Kansas City’s Matt Cassel (notes) , who is coming off a Pro Bowl season for the first time but whose $12.25 salary still dwarfs his status among top QBs. Others fitting the bill: Atlanta Falcons ’ cornerback Dunta Robinson (notes) , whose $5.5 million salary places him in the top ten at his position despite the fact that he’s never made All Pro and who is ranked by ESPN as the NFL’s 19th best corner, and Miami defensive tackle Paul Soliai (notes) , who will collect over $12 million this season after the Dolphins tagged him as their franchise player, despite starting just 20 games in his first four years. The top five: 1. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/mark-sanchez-2?partner=yahoosports " /> Mark Sanchez, New York Jets 2. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/roy-williams-dunta-robinson?partner=yahoosports "> Dunta Robinson, Atlanta Falcons 3. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/alex-smith?partner=yahoosports "> Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers 4. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/paul-soliai-2?partner=yahoosports "> Paul Soliai, Miami Dolphins 5. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/owen-daniels?partner=yahoosports "> Owen Daniels, Houston Texans  
    Posted by irishfanatic

Maybe the Jet's front office like a QB that wins playoff games on the road. That's also when his QB rating goes up considerably. That's probably all they are looking at. Besides, it's their money and not ours.

Sections
Shortcuts