NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing

In Response to Re: NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing:
    Yeah, you wouldn't. Let's just throw the cap idea right out the window.  Everyone has an open checkbook like the Yankees and it's not 53 players on a roster. Also, football is not a team sport, it's really just 5 or 6 positions you have to account for. I don't care how my team is run and I hate that it's run poorly. Carry on, Bob.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Sox next year will have crept up and narrowed the total salary gap to $10-12 million. They are projected at $190 million for 2012. They are catching up. Maybe they like the Yankees spending approach. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Well Rusty he has one point, Jets fans 100% have bragging right till we shut them up. Plain and simple. We beat them or sweep them and they miss the playoffs cause of it then we can talk all we want but right now they are the team that beat us last. That point I understand and agree with.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I think every team that does not win the superbowl wants something to brag about.  Only one team gets to claim they are the best.  If you can't be the best, I think the next best is next best and so on.  All things being equal, I'd rather have beaten the Jets and lost to the Steelers than having lost to the Jets.  Neither were the best, but I would have preferred we ended up as being better than the Jets.  Any types of excuses about not thinking the 2010 Pats were not going anywhere is absurd.  Regardless of this influx of new players, we were 14-2, we had the best offense by a huge margin, we had an insane number of takeaways and turnover diff.  After the dismantling of the Jets, I was was pretty convinced we were going to run the table. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

don't mind haverhill bob

he just likes to take contrarian views to annoy people

sanchez is overpaid because he doesn't produce commensurate to his pay.  he plays like a bottom feeder QB and gets paid above-average money

revis is paid because he shuts down one side of the football field to passing and also takes the opponents' best pass catcher out of the game.  he produces commensurate to his pay

meanwhile, brady is the best QB in the league.  he is paid because he makes every player on the offense much better while allowing the Patriots to save money on receivers because Brady can get anyone the ball

please.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

"If I am a Jets fan, I cringe at Rex Ryan and the collective arrogance, knowing it could very well backfire."

more wishful thinking showing you are afraid of the Jets.

If it hasnt fallen apart yet, why would it now?  Many of ex players have said they would love to play for Rex. It just depends on your personality. I dont like him but he obviously is doing something right.

The last 3 years they probaly have heard how great we are as well. It goes both ways...I would trade our division title for a chance at the AFC title game anyday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

by the way you are talking you would think it was the Jets and not us that were one and done last year. You just dont get it do you... The Jets trolls live here because they represent a team that presents a real challenge to our division and our postseason success.  Last time we played, they sent us home,. This is why I choose not to talk about the Jets cuz we have nothing to say. They come here to gloat cuz they took us out the playoffs in a year that we dominated the reg. season and had a legit team as anyone heading in, even if you use the rebuilding excuse.  Bottom Line is WE have won the Chip more recently than 1979, YES. Beyond that we are just 2 good teams in a good division battling every year for Supremacy and they have the bragging rights as of right now, IMO We need to let the Pats play do the talking and stop having these wishful thougths of the Jets laying down or going away anytime soon. THEY are NOT We need to Play better in the postseason or we will continue to hit that Playoff Wall. 
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Good post. 

The truth is though that Pats fans are really the only people Jets fans can talk smack too.  Seriously, I can't think of another fan base in history that was more prideful about losing in the play-offs than these Jets.  After they lose in the play-offs this year they will basically be the 90's Bills, accept the Bills at least made the Super Bowl before losing and were ashamed of their failures not emboldened by them.

After the Pats win this year, I think this short lived Jets fad will fade quickly and Fat Rex will quit predicting Super Bowl wins.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

No rusty, I dont want to be a Jets fan or have what they do. I just want my own team to succeed. I could care less what the Jets do as long as they lose to us.

Fact is neither of us has one a SB in the last few years and all I am saying is the last time these teams met, we went home and they advanced. It really doesnt matter that they didnt win the SB. Once again you assume I am driven by Jets success of lack their of like you are. I am simply saying it matters that They won the game and kept us from advancing in a year we could have made some noise. Can we dead this now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

So basically every year we dont win, you will make up some crap about us rebuilding, but the Jets are going ALL IN every year?  Ok, I got it now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

don't mind haverhill bob he just likes to take contrarian views to annoy people sanchez is overpaid because he doesn't produce commensurate to his pay.  he plays like a bottom feeder QB and gets paid above-average money revis is paid because he shuts down one side of the football field to passing and also takes the opponents' best pass catcher out of the game.  he produces commensurate to his pay meanwhile, brady is the best QB in the league.  he is paid because he makes every player on the offense much better while allowing the Patriots to save money on receivers because Brady can get anyone the ball please.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

My opinions have nothing to do with anyone else's.  Sanchez is not overpaid because he doesn't produce.  Sanchez is overpaid because he was a high first round draft pick and high first round draft picks get paid way too much money before doing a thing in the NFL.  If the Jets didn't take him, some other team would have and would have paid him about the same.  The Jets were desperate for a QB, like about half of the NFL is each year. 
    Revis is overpaid too.  It just so happen that he is also among the best at his position.  But again, who cares?  We all have the same amoount of cash to spend.  We spend about the same as other teams, I don't care if 90% is on one guy or each guy gets 2+% of the cap accross the board.  We spent money and did not get results as good as any other team that made the playoffs.  So be it.  If our method is better than the Jets, we should have results that prove it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

And why does this not suprise me?In Response to NFL's Most Overpaid Players. Sanchez gets Top Billing:
    Here is an interesting article from Forbes. Sanchez tops list of NFL’s most overpaid By Tom Van Riper, Forbes.com Sep 20, 2:57 pm EDT It’s been a decent start for third-year quarterback Mark Sanchez (notes) , the former first round pick who’s completed 63 percent of his passes and thrown for four touchdowns in leading the New York Jets to victories in their first two games. Sanchez, though, has also thrown three interceptions. He enters Week 3 with a middle-of-the-road passer rating of 87.7. That’s an improvement over the low 70s Sanchez averaged in his first two seasons after signing a rookie contract worth up to $60 million over five years. This season happen to be the balloon year of Sanchez’s five-year deal: he’s owed $14.75 million. Like any QB drafted high, Sanchez is being paid for the potential the club figures he has to develop into a star. But while he’s progressing, there’s no way to avoid viewing his salary as anything but excessive until that big year actually comes.     Hence, Sanchez is our choice to top the 2011 list of the NFL’s most overpaid players. Measuring pay vs. performance is trickier for football than for other sports. Quarterback ratings and yardage numbers are useful, but statistics in the NFL trend toward systems and game plans more so than in other sports. A top cornerback may lack big stats because opposing offenses avoid throwing to his side of the field (the Jets’ Darrelle Revis (notes) , known as a top corner, picked off zero passes last season because he rarely saw the ball). So picking the most overpaid requires a touch of subjectivity and some common sense. Going down the list of the NFL’s highest 100 salaries for 2011, we focused on those whose career history is lacking not only statistically (QB passer ratings, etc.) but on those who haven’t consistently earned starting berths or who haven’t made All Pro despite collecting one of the top salaries in the game at his position. Base 2011 salaries were used, according to data kept by spotrac.com – not annual averages or one-time bonus payments. Quarterbacks joining Sanchez on the all-overpaid list: San Francisco’s Alex Smith , who’s started just 50 games while putting up mediocre stats over six seasons, and Kansas City’s Matt Cassel (notes) , who is coming off a Pro Bowl season for the first time but whose $12.25 salary still dwarfs his status among top QBs. Others fitting the bill: Atlanta Falcons ’ cornerback Dunta Robinson (notes) , whose $5.5 million salary places him in the top ten at his position despite the fact that he’s never made All Pro and who is ranked by ESPN as the NFL’s 19th best corner, and Miami defensive tackle Paul Soliai (notes) , who will collect over $12 million this season after the Dolphins tagged him as their franchise player, despite starting just 20 games in his first four years. The top five: 1. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/mark-sanchez-2?partner=yahoosports " /> Mark Sanchez, New York Jets 2. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/roy-williams-dunta-robinson?partner=yahoosports "> Dunta Robinson, Atlanta Falcons 3. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/alex-smith?partner=yahoosports "> Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers 4. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/paul-soliai-2?partner=yahoosports "> Paul Soliai, Miami Dolphins 5. www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45ejhi/owen-daniels?partner=yahoosports "> Owen Daniels, Houston Texans  
    Posted by irishfanatic

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Truth is Sanchez is very similar to Brady in his early years. Both were considered system players who thrived off playing with a top notch defense. They both had games early on they would like to have back w/multiple picks, and they both like to take compromising pics of themselves.  Now we know Tom is no longer a system qb, and has surpassed expectations and all is left now is to see how Sanchez progresses and if he can still win w/out a great defense. Hopefully we can judge that later on. I dont think Sanchez will ever be that great, but as long as he has some weapons and a good "D" he will be a winner.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Similar how? They are both starters. Tom was pretty darn acurate and could throw all types of balls well. Sancheez has a hard time hitting air!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

I just don't understand the concern with how much money a player on another team makes or for that matter how another team allocates their cap money.  Isn't the whole point of a salary cap to equalize revenue discrepancies.  If we are spending our money more evenly accross the board, besides Brady and Wilfork and we have nothing to show for it, why is it any better than spending 3/4 cap on 4 players?  I sure wish that we would spend big money on a true impact player once in a while, instead of these 'value' has beens like Ocho, Ellis, and Haynesworth.
    Posted by HaverhillBob

Hi Bob,
    What group would you put Eli Manning in??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

You could make an argument that Sanchez is the 4th best starting QB in the conference and if the Jests had Brady, Henne, or Fitzpatrick they would have at least made it to one Super Bowl over the last two years.

Sections
Shortcuts