NFP: INSIDE THE PLAYBOOK (Excellent read!)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

NFP: INSIDE THE PLAYBOOK (Excellent read!)

Matt Bowen breaks down some basic football plays in a series called "Inside the Playbook" on the National Football Post.  It's extremely excellent reading and I promise you'll feel like you know more about football after reading these articles:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: NFP: INSIDE THE PLAYBOOK (Excellent read!)

ok, maybe I was wrong or maybe I got my posts hidden again by moderators who don't want Boston.com-ers to know that there are people who know more about football than Albert Breer, but I thought these articles were great.

Bowen really breaks down football X's & O's.  Definitely check them out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Thanks, your not banned.  I read a few of them so far.  It's a reminder of how little I know about the X's and O's of football plays.  The complexity and strategy is one of the reasons I love football. 

Looking at a diagram is one thing, but truly understanding how those assignments play out once 22 people start moving around is probably why it's so difficult for rookies to come in and play at a high level in skill positions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

New one posted today:

Again, they're an excellent read.  If you want to take your football knowledge to another level and really see plays as they develop, I couldn't recommend these articles more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

New one: Phillip Rivers' game-winning pass to Vincent Jackson

I can't make people read them - I can only lead horses to water

I still couldn't recommend this series more: they do an EXCELLENT job of really breaking down the nitty gritty of football.  If you want something better than rumors, speculation, or idle talk, read these.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: NFP: INSIDE THE PLAYBOOK (Excellent read!):
    Thanks, your not banned.  I read a few of them so far.  It's a reminder of how little I know about the X's and O's of football plays.  The complexity and strategy is one of the reasons I love football.  Looking at a diagram is one thing, but truly understanding how those assignments play out once 22 people start moving around is probably why it's so difficult for rookies to come in and play at a high level in skill positions.
    Posted by shenanigan

LOL 22 men doing random and unpredictable things was literally the origin of the zone blocking scheme.  Step right and look right.  If there's nobody there, continue stepping right.

I've played in both and as long as you have good rapport and a few weeks' continuity it's much easier because defenses will show you all kinds of strange looks to try to throw off your assignments and eliminate certain plays from the playbook.

But Bowen's concepts still apply.  Everyone just has to do their job.  QB reads the coverage correctly.  WRs run their routes (particularly the guys who are trying to get the safety to bite to isolate a corner on the outside or throw a defense off guard with motion).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

Good stuff , thanks for posting these. Im sure most of you are like me when it comes to sports and are always looking to learn and understand as much as possible. LOL I feel its my duty as a fan. If your going to argue , criticize , explain and try to become more knowledgable then we need to read , listen and watch as much as possible. LOL I throw up a lil' bit everytime I hear the words casual fan , I mean who are these people who only watch sports 7 times a year. And W T F is wrong w/ them? How can you be a man and NOT like sports? Serious qeustion here , " How many fingers and toes would you give up for another Pats SB win " ? Id give up at least 2 fingers , one on each hand and 2 toes, again one on each foor. Seriously , how many do you really need ? Who are these people that wont give us a finger or toes and are keeping us from winning another ring? I want their toes and fingers and I want them now. It just pains me to see all the wasted appendages just hanging around when we could be talking about 4 out of 5 , instead of 3 out of 4 this past decade , The Nerve!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

A good breakdown by Pat Kirwan of NFL.com on how spreading the field with four receivers can help an offense in pass protection:

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Nick.

Very good stuff.

the problem with a post like this is it's pure information.  Ones unique and superior opinion is not required.  I've posted info stuff like this before and got no responses.  Although I believe, as I do here, there were plenty of readers.  Plus the fact that you did post a lot of reading material.  That will give someone tired head meaning that one or two articles might be read before pursuing other posts where one can opine an opinion.

Keep on doing what you're doing.  Add articles as you see fit and bump the thing up to keep it near the top where everyone will get a chance to visit. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Spot Route (Brett Favre TD pass to Sidney Rice in the 2009-2010 NFC Championship Game): http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-Favre-to-rice.html

Complex Blitz Schemes (Gregg Williams' dime blitz scheme): http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-complex-blitz-schemes.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Another article to add to your football education...

Red zone passing concepts: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-red-zone-passing-concepts.html

@garytx - agreed, although I think you guys are onto something with the whole read-but-don't-reply bit.  I hope these do some people some good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

I've had the longing to start an entire thread outlining specificallly, The Cover 1 Defense.  THIS Defense, mark my words (heard right here first & foremost), WILL be the next evolutionary leap that Bill Belichick attempts to bring to his main Defense...

It (Cover 1), Has to do with BOTH the personell NE's been acquiring, HOW the Pros have become a passing league, HOW The Cover 1 Defense really attempts  to take the "Attack" back to the Offense and put the Offensive Team back on their heels, HOW a certain select few Pro-Teams (Carolina, for instance-see Ron Meeks)-Have seen greater success instituting aspects of incorporating The Cover 1 D, And even how Belichick's Coaching Tree has incorporated The Cover 1 (especially Coaching friends of BB in the Collegiate level-Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, etc).

~Again, It all has to do with Having a "Rover Safety" on Defense-ALL over the field, showing blitz, EVERYthing...pretty much messin with the now numerous, Audibling QBs adjusting plays off of what they see at the LOS from the D, Chances to get Turnovers become greater, HOW-NE's Safety corp (dual Safeties, who've played several secondary positions-CB, FS, SS, AND some even playing Collegiate rover), THEN what's totally required are SUPERB "Press-Man" CBs who are excellent tacklers as well (think what NE has done), AND then how BB can even use versatile fronts by WHO he's required (3-3-5 (2 CBs, 1 Deep Safety, 1 Rover, and 1 more CB or Safety)) OR using a 4-3-4 (An LB who has DE skills and backing now crowds the D-Line, 3 LBs, 2 CBs, 1 Rover, & 1 deep Safety), OR even a 4-2-5 or mixed wildly with a 2-4-5, AND Finally I planned on adding NE's most recent additions-McCourty's & Boddens press-man skills, Spikes in getting to the backfield, Cunningham as a DE-Pro OLB, NE's Safety corp of having Merriweather spending time @ FS last year, In order that NE would throw a "new wrinkle" RE: NE's Cover 1 D...Versatility and ADDED movement of who wwould be the Deep-Safety and WHO would be the "Roving Safety", play-by-play...further confusing Offenses...

Like I said, Again-WOW...It really was gonna be a special thread which I had in store for you ALL.  Picture This: A Cross between Martin Luther nailing his thesis's to that Church Door, The First Superman Comic Book ever made, AND a third cross between the first two and The Declaration of Independance...  I mean, yea-Itt  really woulda been THAT good, exciting, informative, AND groundbreaking...  
         ~But it just seemed so daunting of a task after awhile.  I mean, maybe IF someone else does ALL the research now, and writes perhaps 90, but-closer-to 95-97% of this simply AMAZING topic I had in store...then mayyybe, I'll in a small way, edit it, AND then of course, put My OWN name on it (it was MY idea)...Then, ye...we really could breach this topic.  Takers? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: NFP: INSIDE THE PLAYBOOK (Excellent read!):
    ok, maybe I was wrong or maybe I got my posts hidden again by moderators who don't want Boston.com-ers to know that there are people who know more about football than Albert Breer, but I thought these articles were great. Bowen really breaks down football X's & O's.  Definitely check them out.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

I think you might be hard-pressed to find somebody in a professional capacity (or hell, even right here on this board) who knows less.

(sorry -- couldn't resist tossing an opinion post into your hard-core information thread)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Professor Matt Bowen is offering continuing football education.  Eat it up.

Play Action Pass (Matt Stafford to Calvin Johnson)

The modern safety:

& @P-Mike - no worries.  I think it's tough for Albert Breer to fill Mike Reiss' shoes, too, but I figure this thread will let people learn.  A LOT.  

I promise everyone that if you read these articles you'll be the smartest person in the room commenting on the football game.