nice catch and run by boyce

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

nice catch and run by boyce

Displayed excellent hands picking that low ball then a nice burst down the sideline.

He has a nice effortless running stride, and please don't jump on me , but reminded me of Stanley Morgan.

Hope josh mcd can incorporate a few more underneath routes like that . Seems like a good way to get him some touches.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: nice catch and run by boyce

I liken him to TY Hilton playing with the Colts. If he can get open, get TB's attention and confidence, this guy will be electric with the ball in his hands. I dont recall the Pats having a WR with his skill set. Stanley Morgan IMO was a true straight line burner. But I do not recall him being electric on short passes and turning those into long gains. Boyce can take it to the end zone on pooch screens and WR end around runs, as well as the deep ball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I liken him to TY Hilton playing with the Colts. If he can get open, get TB's attention and confidence, this guy will be electric with the ball in his hands. I dont recall the Pats having a WR with his skill set. Stanley Morgan IMO was a true straight line burner. But I do not recall him being electric on short passes and turning those into long gains. Boyce can take it to the end zone on pooch screens and WR end around runs, as well as the deep ball.

Hope we see those plays.  End around from the slot seems like the most effective and simple way to attack the edge.  We have seen that with Edelman and it gets 5-10 yards every time.   If I were mcd I would run this 10 times a game.  Its a running play with a speed guy to the outside.  Simple and effective.  Then run play action off it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

I liked the play by Boyce too.  Until DA returns, and for a couple of weeks thereafter, unitl he is in game shape, I think Edelman should be the outside #1 (The X?) receiver and Boyce should be in the slot.  Edelman has shown what we've always known, good speed, shiftiness, and just plain want-to.  Boyce has good hands, speed, and lateral mobility (3-cone drill).  All the right stuff for the slot.  From that position, once in awhile I'd send him on some post patterns too to confuse the D.
    On the subject of Stanley Morgan, he did have incredible speed.  He was a track star at Tenn. as well as a football player.  I think it is inaccurate to say he didn't go across the middle.  He was a fearless receiver who could catch anything, anywhere.  I recall a MNF game during which Stanley the Steamer went on a slant across the middle, right where the LBs live, and caught a gorgeous pass from Grogan.  Stanley caught it in stride and accelerated around the corner for a TD and left everyone like they were standing still.  The announcer said "well that's just like Stanley says, if we're even, I'm leavin".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Ditto. That was a tough shoe string grab and run.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

if Dobson is out he is next man up - like these rooks

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

That was a nice piece of work by Boyce.  If I had to break it down into its component parts and simply select which one was the more impressive I'd have to pick the catch itself, but  the whole play was nicely done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

it was Super Sweet

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

It was a very good effort to catch the ball without losing his balance and getting as many yards as he did.

My concern with the rookies headed forward is they need continued reps in games to continue their development.   Will they get the required work when the regulars come back?   Time will tell.   KT has shown enough to make me think he'll still get playing time.  But Dobson and Boyce???  It wouldn't surprise me to see one or both buried on the bench.

Look at how Hoyer and Mallett have been used in complete blowouts the last 4+ years.  They only saw the field for the kneel-downs at the end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

That was a very nice catch and run.  I have been befuddled at his lack of play time.  I hope they give him some more p/t at the slot and give Amendola/Edelman rest to keep them fresh and take less hits.  I like Thompkins a lot--but he drops at least one easy catch a game.   I like the trio of rook receivers and the trio of backs--they force defenses to adjust all the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Displayed excellent hands picking that low ball then a nice burst down the sideline.

He has a nice effortless running stride, and please don't jump on me , but reminded me of Stanley Morgan.

Hope josh mcd can incorporate a few more underneath routes like that . Seems like a good way to get him some touches.

It was nice. If Dobson is nicked up, Boyce should be forced into the breech.

I'm not sure if NE could even field a team with one more injury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Hope Dobson is back as he is a better blocker on the outside and if he is back then I can see them using Boyce out of the backfield like Vereen . . . no linebacker is going to be able to stay with him and on flair-out passes he will be tough for the cornerback to make a one-on-one tackle in open space.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's Vic Cruz part 2, but better!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

He reminds me of Anquan Boldin...that same sneaky/smooth speed..thick like a running back. Good run after the catch guy, but I think he is going to surprise some people with his deep speed too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

He reminds me of Anquan Boldin...that same sneaky/smooth speed..thick like a running back. Good run after the catch guy, but I think he is going to surprise some people with his deep speed too. 

I don't really see the Boldin comparison.  Boldin is 6'1, 220 and runs a 4.74.  He's not that fast nor is he very quick.  He relies on his height and power.

Boyce on the other hand is something like 5'11 200 and runs a 4.34 and is very shifty. 

Either way, very encouraged at the potential of the kid.

Sections
Shortcuts