Nice column on life after football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Nice column on life after football

Nice column on ESPN about the transition from player to real life:http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/58642/guest-column-surviving-life-after-the-nfl
    I think what I like the most is that he doesn't point at the 'NFL', though I'm not sure what he is refering to with the Title IX/NCAA comment. As far as I am concerned that minor irritation for college football players called a 'college degree' and a 'course load' is the life skills training that colleges are trying to provide. And I don't think that is the proper time for it to stick in terms of a football players career.
    I really like the mention of the new CBA and that it doesn't deal with post football transition at all. A perfect time for players to address it collectively, but ...
    As for deferred player payments - nice idea but no player is going to agree to that concept.
    He does mention his 'agent' dropping him down a well once he was no longer a player - and I think that points to one avenue the NFLPA/NFL could persue - make agents have to devote x% of their fees to post career transition programs. And players themselves 'own' their union - use x% of the union dues for transition programs or institute a surcharge on the higher salaries to fund the programs for all players.
    This is not a league problem as much as it is a player problem. And I think it behoves the players to look to themselves to solve it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Nice column on life after football

This article nails it: the difficulties with transitioning from being a warrior to another productive role when you are no longer wanted, stop getting call backs, see no useful role, have no other skills and just want to medicate with drugs, alcohol, sex or anything to take the pain away. 

I admire his courage for opening himself up to counseling, his wife and a church and seeking out a new life. I guess there is hope for those who have the courage to keep going down a new path....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

very good read, thanks for posting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

After a little reflection - I also think this issue represents a fairly small fraction of the retiring players. Transition is never easy for anyone, but there are also many stories of football players that have a life plan they begin to implement during their playing days. Yes, football is intense, but how many hours do players really devote to workouts and film study during the off season. Lots of players have done course work towards doctorates or law degrees, or business degrees ..., others have created charities/foundations that they actually care about and run, others get seriously involved in sound business ventures, etc.
    I think some of the anger over the complaints (and lawsuits) is a feeling that some of the players are 'playing the victim card.' These guys are supposed to be adults who have had decent to fabulous financial resources during their playing days. And if they have ignored the inevitable fact that they will be unemployed in their chosen profession at a young age, it is not 'society's fault' but their own.
    They may face special circumstances, but at least they should have started in better financial circumstances than the guy who just got laid off by GM or whatever. And they knew it was coming whereas the average Joe never expected it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's a good article Mia.  Thanks for posting. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whipitgood. Show whipitgood's posts

That was good - thanx.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

And maybe an even better column specific to the 'concussion mania' :http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/05/junior_seau_s_suicide_are_concussions_responsible_.single.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

My thanks also Mia76, an uplifting story indeed.

I bumped this not meaning to hijack your good post but did'nt want to start a new post for this comment. I think it fits here.

Perhaps after George earns his PHD he may tutor some of his fellows by offering himself up to them. Some surely need to listen to thier peers who KNOW the sport, business, agents kicking them to the curb, life during and after. A real example follows: Perhaps George Koonce could help LT. Good future for George.

Your own Super bowl Ring

LT is selling his. As of 10:20 this morning the ring's highest bid, of 12, was at $37,982. The estimated value of the ring is $75,000-$100,000. The auction ends Saturday May 19, 2012.

Two stories, one of a winner and one of lingering HOPE that should never give up. Reach out George, the best interception you ever made.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/05/lawrence_taylor_auctioning_off.htm

Sections
Shortcuts