Nice defensive game by Julian Edelman!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Nice defensive game by Julian Edelman!

Edelman replaces Nate Jones when score 21-0. Obviously better results along with defensive adjustments.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Re: Nice defensive game by Julian Edelman!

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4713991/defensive-snaps-edelman-draws-notice

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I really like Edelman as a player, in all 3 phases.  He's an explosive athlete, and actually is a really, really good tackler despite the inexperience.  I do think if given the chance, he could be a very productive receiver, but right now, he could be a huge key to the defense.  I like McCourty at safety right now, and Sterling Moore looks like a player.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Edelman does seem to tackle pretty well--not sure of his coverage skills yet, but he really does seem to find the guy with the ball and wrap him up.  Moore made some really nice plays on the interceptions (and at least one ball batted down as well), but I think it's too early to say how good he'll be.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He hit LT so hard he quit football.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Notice the end around play on offense with Julian. I believe the pass option may show itself in the playoffs. If not the Pats are giving other D.C. something to think about.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

In Response to Re: Nice defensive game by Julian Edelman!:
    [QUOTE]He hit LT so hard he quit football.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

LoL. Is he retiring?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Edelman is very good at press and chipping at the line. Not sure about his coverage skills yet but they've kept him in the box and used him to make sure the slot receiver doesn't get a clean release and to watch for check downs keeping the play in front of him. I'd say he's done what was asked of him and more. Kinda surprised that it looks like his niche might be as a nickel press CB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LIke seeing Edelman used on defense. He's a good all purpose player. has speed and can tackle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

He is the one's of unsung Hero in the Pats team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i love how in Edelmans case, when he got arrested it seems like Belichick brought him in and said we are gunna get the best outta you right now, do what we ask you to do and youll be fine. he has embraced that role and is thriving now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

[QUOTE]He hit LT so hard he quit football.
    You made me LOL...  I lol'd out loud..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I dont know all thats been said in the thread but I just watched the game over and yes Edleman was in there a lot and made a few tackles, but for those wanting to see him their full time, I have to tell you, You really dont.

This guy will be exposed if he plays a big role every week. This year we have had a pretty easy shedule with mediocre Qb's so the damage is less.

I saw Edleman try to jam his guy and after one jab, the dude was wide open over the middle, but Fitzy missed him and threw a pic to Moore.

Fitzy has fell of after getting his money and is not an elite QB. He missed several open guys but make no mistake,  Edlemans man was open a lot.

He cannnot cover. He can jam and hope the guy doesnt uncover in time, but once the wr releases he is wide open.

A real qb will attack Edleman all day with a good slot WR

so in short, I like Edleman helping out and all but he is not a full time DB.

HE should not be in the secondary next year after an offseason of getting real players..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I dont know all thats been said in the thread but I just watched the game over and yes Edleman was in there a lot and made a few tackles, but for those wanting to see him their full time, I have to tell you, You really dont. This guy will be exposed if he plays a big role every week. This year we have had a pretty easy shedule with mediocre Qb's so the damage is less. I saw Edleman try to jam his guy and after one jab, the dude was wide open over the middle, but Fitzy missed him and threw a pic to Moore. Fitzy has fell of after getting his money and is not an elite QB. He missed several open guys but make no mistake,  Edlemans man was open a lot. He cannnot cover. He can jam and hope the guy doesnt uncover in time, but once the wr releases he is wide open. A real qb will attack Edleman all day with a good slot WR so in short, I like Edleman helping out and all but he is not a full time DB. HE should not be in the secondary next year after an offseason of getting real players..
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Can't say I've watched him in coverage that closely, but what you say is consistent with my initial impressions.  He's a good tackler and makes some plays near the LOS, but I'm not convinced he's someone you want downfield (at least on defense). 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Pro, thats basically it, he can fill in if needed and if they really wanted to they could bulk him up and coach him up, but i would rather a guy who has played DB in college, not QB.

Brady has masked a lot of problems in the back end by being a scoring machine, but going forward do we really think its good for T.B. to throw for 5k every year?

He has shoulder issues every year and is beat up by time playoffs roll around. These injuries, IMO may have cost us SB 42 and last years lost to the Jets as Brady was a sitting duck with that bad foot in both games.

We need to run more and lessen the burden by putting a "real" defense on the field that can get off the field on 3rd down and not pray for redzone stops.

I like that we get turnovers but they never show up in the postseason where you have good QB's who manage the ball and run the rock.

Me may survive this year but I dont know if I can watch another year of these guys...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Pro, thats basically it, he can fill in if needed and if they really wanted to they could bulk him up and coach him up, but i would rather a guy who has played DB in college, not QB. Brady has masked a lot of problems in the back end by being a scoring machine, but going forward do we really think its good for T.B. to throw for 5k every year? He has shoulder issues every year and is beat up by time playoffs roll around. These injuries, IMO may have cost us SB 42 and last years lost to the Jets as Brady was a sitting duck with that bad foot in both games. We need to run more and lessen the burden by putting a "real" defense on the field that can get off the field on 3rd down and not pray for redzone stops. I like that we get turnovers but they never show up in the postseason where you have good QB's who manage the ball and run the rock. Me may survive this year but I dont know if I can watch another year of these guys...

Completely agree about the need for a better defense.  I'm okay with throwing for 5,000 yards, but I agree more diversity on offense would be a good thing.  Running more is part of it . . . but I also think it would help to have more diverse receivers as well.  I'd like a real wideout next year--you know, a guy like Larry Fitzgerald--and also backs that can catch out of the backfield as well as run.  If we get those pieces on offense, I'm okay with passing a lot . . . but we really shouldn't have to run our whole offense through two TEs and two slot receivers, no matter how good those four guys are.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

We have capable backs. Vareen should  be that guy next year.

Benny took a screen 50 yards.... and this after a poster told me last week the pats couldnt run screens anymore. I believe the Pats have to tools to play any way they want, even long ball if they worked at it with Chad.

I dont buy into excuses. I believe they work on what they want.

If they want to run, they will.

If they dont want to, they wont.

Its never a matter of CANT with this team, thats just foolish.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Nice defensive game by Julian Edelman!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice defensive game by Julian Edelman! : LoL. Is he retiring? Posted by raptor64d[/QUOTE] He said he's contemplating it, he's barely played since he left the game after Edelman hit him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Nice defensive game by Julian Edelman!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice defensive game by Julian Edelman! : Completely agree about the need for a better defense.  I'm okay with throwing for 5,000 yards, but I agree more diversity on offense would be a good thing.  Running more is part of it . . . but I also think it would help to have more diverse receivers as well.  I'd like a real wideout next year--you know, a guy like Larry Fitzgerald--and also backs that can catch out of the backfield as well as run.  If we get those pieces on offense, I'm okay with passing a lot . . . but we really shouldn't have to run our whole offense through two TEs and two slot receivers, no matter how good those four guys are. Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE] Not that I wouldn't love a Larry Fitzgerald type but c'mon man. Your talking about the very elite level WR's in the NFL. Guys like Fitz, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson- those guys were top 3 draft picks, they make 15mil a year. Ain't happening, aim lower. Realistically they could get a good WR in the first round but the 6-5, 4.4 forty guys are gone long before the Pats pick, when they're in the draft at all. Moss was that kind of guy, but he was coming off an injury head case everybody thinks he's done, still under a huge contract and still had to trade a 4th rounder for him. I don't see that type of guy in free agency, and unless the Pats end up with an early round pick I think they can get someone who's fast (D Jackson), someone who's tall, or someone who's both but bats**t crazy (Braylon Edwards), but not someone of Fitz quality.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]Brady has masked a lot of problems in the back end by being a scoring machine, but going forward do we really think its good for T.B. to throw for 5k every year? He has shoulder issues every year and is beat up by time playoffs roll around. These injuries, IMO may have cost us SB 42 and last years lost to the Jets as Brady was a sitting duck with that bad foot in both games. We need to run more and lessen the burden by putting a "real" defense on the field that can get off the field on 3rd down and not pray for redzone stops. I like that we get turnovers but they never show up in the postseason where you have good QB's who manage the ball and run the rock. Me may survive this year but I dont know if I can watch another year of these guys...

This is interesting because you are assuming that if the defense was better that the offensive gameplan would change.  I'm not so sure that would be the case, but am open to being convinced.  Why do you think that?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Everyone should know by watching the games this year that Brady and the offense have been told to go out and put points on the board and do it quickly, this is because as much as B.B. likes his guys, he doesnt trust this defense. He has proven it with his 4th down plays.

If we had a defense that got us the ball more we wouldnt have to try to score so quickly and could use more of the offense , like runs and screens.

Its Basically a case of them not running because they cant afford to not get any yards and defer to Benny so they keep it in the best players hands and hope that Bradys great short ball accuracy can be the run game instead.

If we had a good defense that got stops we no longer need to ensure we score 35 a game and can play more complimentary football like we did in 01-04 with better "D" units.

I dont even think this is debatable at this point. Its fact. Of course the play of the offene is predicated on the succes of the defense,. it always has been.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Imagine how difficult it is going to be to document this season when NE wins the SB.  From records of the QB the two TEs, Ocho's problems, the 1,000 different DB rotations including Edelman the football player to the OLs injuries ect  WRs playing CBs and S, OL playing TEs/FBs I mean this has been a coaching dream for BB who has done an amazing job putting a team together.  not the most talented but one that is a true team.

They trully know what it is to depend on all 11 players on the field and the ones on the sideline are always ready because they will all play a role at certain points of a game. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Two things I really like about Edelman on D - he likes to hit people, and he tackles really well. Not your normal WR / Slot skill set for sure... 

I like his attitude about being out there any way he can get there - Special teams, Offense, Defense. His actions on the field really show determination and commitment to the team

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]We have capable backs. Vareen should  be that guy next year. Benny took a screen 50 yards.... and this after a poster told me last week the pats couldnt run screens anymore. I believe the Pats have to tools to play any way they want, even long ball if they worked at it with Chad. I dont buy into excuses. I believe they work on what they want. If they want to run, they will. If they dont want to, they wont. Its never a matter of CANT with this team, thats just foolish.

Jay, I don't know if you saw the segment in "Bill Belichick: A Football Life" where he complained that "this team can't run the ball."  "Can't" may be an exaggeration, but there are definitely things that they are good at or not so good at because of the skills and talent of the particular players on the team.  They can run screens, for instance--but I'm not sure they'll be a good screen team until they get a guy who's a little quicker than BJGE and a better pass receiver than he is.  This is not to say BJGE won't ever break another big gain on a screen play, but he's just not Darren Sproles.  Same thing with Ocho . . . yeah he may beat you deep once in a while, but he's not a huge deep threat anymore.  These aren't excuses--they're just the facts.  The skills of the players are what they are and you need to build your game plan around the things they can do and not try to do too much of what they can't do so well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Nice defensive game by Julian Edelman!": Not that I wouldn't love a Larry Fitzgerald type but c'mon man. Your talking about the very elite level WR's in the NFL. Guys like Fitz, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson- those guys were top 3 draft picks, they make 15mil a year. Ain't happening, aim lower. Realistically they could get a good WR in the first round but the 6-5, 4.4 forty guys are gone long before the Pats pick, when they're in the draft at all. Moss was that kind of guy, but he was coming off an injury head case everybody thinks he's done, still under a huge contract and still had to trade a 4th rounder for him. I don't see that type of guy in free agency, and unless the Pats end up with an early round pick I think they can get someone who's fast (D Jackson), someone who's tall, or someone who's both but bats**t crazy (Braylon Edwards), but not someone of Fitz quality.

I'd settle for a Marques Colston, or Greg Jennings, or even a Mike Wallace.  Brady deserves a decent X receiver before he retires.