Nice job by D today...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Nice job by D today...

Because of the 21-0 deficit, it looked pretty awful early on. But breaking it down...the D actually held on the Bills first drive; it was Special Teams that could not stop the fake punt...and the ensuing PI call was questionable at best, and garbage at worst.

The D also forced a 4th and 5 on the second drive, but failed to hold.

However, had Buffalo had something to play for (in line for a playoff birth), they would likely have punted in both of those high-risk situations. Being eliminated from postseason, they could take gambles that teams fighting for the playoffs, or seeding, would not have taken. If that had been the case, the Bills may not have scored more than 7.

After the 1st quarter, they gave up some yards, but the Bills never seriously threatened to score. Buffalo's last 8 drives ended: Punt, Downs, Punt, Int, Int, Punt, Int, Int.

Of course, the Bills aren't the Saints or the Pack, but that's gettin' her done, nonetheless.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Nice job by D today...

Yeah I agree, I thought they played well (not perfect). I thought the linebackers did a decent job in coverage and Chung and even Spikes helped out a bit. Spikes really needs to get into shape (I can't believe how fat he is in the midsection for a linebacker) - we need a guy like him to add some toughness to this D. Fletcher had what I thought was the best game of his career and Anderson almost had three sacks.

Love is in my opinion getting pushed around and turned on run plays way too much, I'd like to see Warren play more. The secondary will need to tighten up a lot if we're going to win a playoff game, because despite us holding Buffalo to nothing the rest of that game - there still were guys open.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

yes, and no. terrible, slow start by both sides of the ball.

With a sizable lead, bills were forced to throw; which allowed the Patriots more chances to INT the ball.

then again, it was the bills, a team that lost a whole lotta steam about 1/2 way into the season. So, what does it really mean?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Defense is what it is.  First half was a disaster, but they made enough opportunistic plays when Fitzpatrick's throws were off in the second half.  Offense really saved the day by keeping the pressure on Buffalo and forcing them to throw so much.  That increases the chance of a pick.  O helped the D big time today. 

Sterling Moore deserves a lot of praise though--at least three very nice plays. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It is a wretched defense.  Absolutely wretched.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In Response to Re: Nice job by D today...:
    [QUOTE]It is a wretched defense.  Absolutely wretched.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

That's rather harsh.

They didn't allow any points after the first quarter and got four INT's.

That's the most efficient style of playing defense in this iteration of the NFL. Have a great offense, and a bend-but-don't-break defense that creates turnovers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Way for them to bounce back. They showed grit. A lot of other team-defenses would have folded up, but they stuck with it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice job by D today... : That's rather harsh. They didn't allow any points after the first quarter and got four INT's. That's the most efficient style of playing defense in this iteration of the NFL. Have a great offense, and a bend-but-don't-break defense that creates turnovers.
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

It is harsh.  But they have been gashed by Denver, Miami, and Buffalo.  Absolutely drilled by all three teams. 

The team came back and won in each instance becaus ethe offense is awesome and they were playing against three QBs that are horrid.

Try falling behind against a playoff team.  We tried that against Baltimore 2 years ago.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Can anyone explain why Sterling Moore was cut in the first place? He was burned badly by Garcon, but I remember Moore making some good plays before he was released (then resigned, then released...). Relative to their pool of players (which stinks), I would argue Moore has stood out in a good way even before today. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

The best measure, down 21 freakin' points, they manned up and shut Buffalo down.  THAT WAS MANLY.  Both the defense AND the offense played an awful first quarter, again, and the offense sure didn't give the defense much time off the field to get it figured out.  Nice game after that.  Loved it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

IMHO, the D was awful in the first quarter, and I thought the PI was warranted.  If that call would have not been called on a Pats receiver, we'd have been PO'd to the max.  I understand we didn't give up any points after the 1st quarter, and that was a good thing.  However, we get 21 down in the playoffs, we're NOT going to outscore that type of competition 49-0 thereafter.  Does anyone really think that being down 21 to zip against the Steelers, Ravens, New Orleans, or GB that we're coming back?  Look, I'm as big a Pats fan as anyone, but our achilles heel is our D and if that unit doesn't play better we're not going anywhere in the playoffs.  When Julian Edelmen is your most effective secondary defensiveman, something's wrong with the picture.  Hopefully, the offense can keep playing at a high level, because we're not winning any games with our D.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I'll admit they made adjustments and recovered after that horrible first half..

Still not convinced they can hold it down in the playoffs, would love to be wrong but I don't see it.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]No. I am saying Rogie Goodell has been trying to sell the NFL overseas in Europe and scoring TDs and high flying plays with phatom PI calls, roughing, illegal hits, etc, all are situations to aid in this, as his main selling point to fans of soccer. This means a spike in offense and yards by offenses is not really a shock nor is it reflective of how a defense really plays. The only bad aspect of this D is yards allowed during 4 qtrs, and it's axctually now worse thasn everyone's favorite trendy D, the GB Packers'. Get it, rubelstiltskin? You took the bait. You took the anti-BB media bait that's been floating around the internets since the loss in SB 42. One set of rules to judge NE by and one other to judge other 31 NFL teams. YUP I have more logic in one pinkie than you could ever dream of having on this topic.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

I get it.

Roger Goodell conspired with the media to create all new rules to make BB look bad.

And only you have figured it out.

Tell me, is there a better brand than Reynolds for the foil hat you are wearing?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice job by D today... : YOu do realize 21 points came from our D, correct? One was a Moore TD late and two more INTs came from Moore and Mccourty setting up shorter drives. Our offense was as bad as the D in the 1st qtr, but yet again the D led the way doing someting to make a change, first. Also, explain how that was PI when he turned?  You can;t change the rules during the game. He has the right to the ball even if there is contact, as long as he turns, especially on a ball underthrown. And no, I wouldn';t be looking for call there at all. I would have said "bad throw by Brady".

King/Rusty:  I respect your opinion, but disagree with it.  The O did struggle early, but in the first quarter, the Bills went through out D like a hot knife through butter.  How we didn't anticipate a fake punt is beyond me.  I was calling for it, and I'm a retired Sailor, not a coach - in other words, if a simpleton like me could "smell" it coming, I expect our coaching staff to realize that it might be a possibility.  Our Secondary was yards off of the receivers, and their receivers didn't even need to try for separation - we simply gave it to them.  And I thought the PI call was justified.  The defender had no idea where the ball was and made non-incidental contact.  If you want to "blame" TB and the O for a slow start fine - but I'm not going there with you.  Our D simply stunk for the 1st period plain and simple.  And I believe that if they play that badly in the playoffs (i.e, get 21 points down) we'll be one and done.  To reiterate - love your passion and insight, just not agreeing with you on this issue. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hannahman. Show Hannahman's posts

[QUOTE]No, but we have two QBs throwing for  5000 yards and we know the Polian RUles have been in effect for at least 5 years. You're dumb and don't know it yet.  That's not your fault, but your gene pool's. This is a business, kidling.  POints equal ratings.  You think Goodell is prancing around London for his health? Or Toronto? Stick to baseball. You're out of your league on this one. The best offenses in the NFL also have the "lowest ranked" Ds. Get it?

Why must you insult anyone who doesnt agree with you.......its obvious that you know what you're talking about but the insults are not needed.......u are one of the more knowlegdable posters but also act like a child sometimes......GROW UP

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]No, but we have two QBs throwing for  5000 yards and we know the Polian RUles have been in effect for at least 5 years. You're dumb and don't know it yet.  That's not your fault, but your gene pool's. This is a business, kidling.  POints equal ratings.  You think Goodell is prancing around London for his health? Or Toronto? Stick to baseball. You're out of your league on this one. The best offenses in the NFL also have the "lowest ranked" Ds. Get it?

Dumbest Post Ever.

Congrats!

So far your logical defense of the Patriots Defense is:

1.  The GB defense wasn't good last year - which has nothing to do with the Pats this year.

2.  Goodell has conspired with the Media and Bill Polian to specifically target BB - and only you have figured that out

3.  That Goodell marketing football has effected only the NE Defense.

Yup.  It's settled.  You're a dummy.

Sections
Shortcuts