Nice job by D today...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Re: Nice job by D today...

In Response to Re: Nice job by D today...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice job by D today... : That's fine. I have SB 42's game tape and about 5 playoff games since 2005 to back up my premise, not even counting last Janaury where 11 points was the best we could do on offense through 3 qtrs. I also don't like bagjob PI calls, whether it's 2006 in INdy in the title game or today.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

King/Rusty:  if you think the offense represents the "most" of what we need to be concerned about, there's nothing I can say to change your mind - except, that every piece of empirical data would run contrary to that mindset.  I don't care what happened in SB 42 or any other playoff game.  I only care about our next playoff game.  And simply put, if we "can't find our bearings" on D to the tune of a double-digit deficit, we're not going to beat good playoff teams.  Answer me this - do you think we could overcome a double-digit lead to the Steelers, Ravens, Saints, or Packers?  I don't think it makes me less of a fan by thinking that coming back from 3-scores down to Miami and Buffalo is a far cry from expecting the same thing against the top-notch teams that will be playing post-season football.  Can our D play better?  I don't know - but there's nothing to suggest they'll do so.  And that concerns me.  But - in the end, I hope you're right - we'll give up 30+ points per playoff game and still win.  Just not that confident it'll happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

[QUOTE]No, GB's is wrecthed, certainly far worse than ours.  Go troll somewhere else, dork.

Rusty if someone thinks the d was wretched it doesn't make them a troll or any less of a fan then you.

I don't recall seeing you on the game thread when they piled up damn near 200 yards on their first 2 drives and just about everyone aside from a select few were bashing the defense including myself.

Did they adjust? Yes
    Does that mean they can hold up against good teams or spot a 21 point lead to pitt and get away with it? I don't think so personally.

Yes the Defense turned it around today but I  think along with 99 percent of football fans think that for the most part this defense stinks and will be our achilles heel in the playoffs.

You love ripping TB12 when in fact he is having a remarkable season by in large.
    This offense may start slow but are lights out for all but 2 or 3 games this year.

I don't think stats lie about that( passer rating, td/int ratio). I agree with you on the playcalling except I think we need to pass to set up the run and not vice versa.

When it comes to someone having a difference of opinion with you, even if you don't like it it's not right you call them a dork or troll. Truthfully your in a vast minority who think this D is decent but I still respect and enjoy reading your post although I thoroughly disagree with you.

I've watched every Pat's game for the past 20 years even calling in sick for work on occasion just so I don't miss anything yet I hate the way our D looks. Does this make me any less of a fan then you?

Mark my words, Flacco or Big ben or whomever we face in the playoffs is going to through it downfield deep early and often. We shall see how they fare because I am having my doubts. BIG TIME.

If It turns out that they tighten up and I'm wrong, I promise you and a few others who I've disagreed with that I will be the first on here eating crow and saying I was wrong. I want to believe in the D but I just don't see it. IMO the deep ball is going to kill us.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]IMHO, the D was awful in the first quarter, and I thought the PI was warranted.  If that call would have not been called on a Pats receiver, we'd have been PO'd to the max.  I understand we didn't give up any points after the 1st quarter, and that was a good thing.  However, we get 21 down in the playoffs, we're NOT going to outscore that type of competition 49-0 thereafter.  Does anyone really think that being down 21 to zip against the Steelers, Ravens, New Orleans, or GB that we're coming back?  Look, I'm as big a Pats fan as anyone, but our achilles heel is our D and if that unit doesn't play better we're not going anywhere in the playoffs.  When Julian Edelmen is your most effective secondary defensiveman, something's wrong with the picture.  Hopefully, the offense can keep playing at a high level, because we're not winning any games with our D.
    Posted by gr82bme[/QUOTE]

I have to agree to a point on the PI call, on one hand the defender clearly made a decision in his mind to go for the ball (he was in position for it) on the other hand he has to know they are going to call that every single time when YOU interfere/make contact with a receiver at that spot on the field. Happens all the time on plays that are less cut and dried as that one.

Some thoughts about this defensive performance today...

Spiller is a beast to handle - the way he split our safeties for that touchdown in the first quarter was something that very few people have the skill to do, having said that...there should have been someone/anyone closer to that play despite the fact the guy turned on a dime without losing speed up the middle on that play.

I think Buffalo absolutely blew this game today (and really I'm not sure this offense gave a crap after they went up 21) - why the hell did they not try to run it more on us? The game was pretty darn close for most of it during our comeback. Haven't they watched film the last two weeks? They should of tried to pound it on us.

Fletcher was used all over the place, which impressed me considering this is a guy that hasn't played a lot of linebacker in his life...coverage, rushing, run defense. I thought he played very well today and we need that if we're going to beat a good team in a couple of weeks. I thought Spikes looked like a tub of goo - yet he played pretty darn good despite that. Mayo made a play in coverage towards the end of this game that most of our secondary couldn't make - ran and TURNED to make a play on the ball way down the field. Impressive.

Love looks like he is a problem in the run game for us, just because h's big and tries hard doesn't mean that he's not getting driven back and turned. He got spun like he was dancing with the stars on the goal line and they scored. Way too easy. It looked like Warren got some more playing time after that.

I didn't notice much of Nincovich today, was that just me?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice job by D today... : YOu do realize 21 points came from our D, correct? One was a Moore TD late and two more INTs came from Moore and Mccourty setting up shorter drives. [/QUOTE]

The interceptions didn't come until late in the third quarter, after the offense had scored 20 points. Hard to credit the comeback to the defense.  It was the offense that led the comeback, not the defense--even if the defense helped late in the game. 

[QUOTE]Our offense was as bad as the D in the 1st qtr, [/QUOTE]

Yeah, they tried your approach and put Brady under center and tried to run it. 

[QUOTE]but yet again the D led the way doing someting to make a change, first. [/QUOTE]

Revisionist history here.  The O started the comeback with their 77 yard touchdown drive that started at the end of the first quarter. 

[QUOTE] Also, explain how that was PI when he turned?  You can;t change the rules during the game. He has the right to the ball even if there is contact, as long as he turns, especially on a ball underthrown. [/QUOTE]

You still can't knock the receiver down . . . it wasn't a bad call.  

[QUOTE]And no, I wouldn';t be looking for call there at all. I would have said "bad throw by Brady".

Of course you would.  You blame Brady for everything. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

One thing that hasn't been mentioned and probably won't be because he's so widely disliked by the fans, but Bill O'Brien called an excellent game today, I thought.  Nice variety, a mix of different types of plays.  Really used the TEs on the reverses neatly, called a nice screen that caught Buffalo off guard, tried some more traditional under-center plays, even if they didn't work all that well, and tried deep plays to both Ocho and Hernandez.  At least it gives defenses a lot to think about in the playoffs. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE] Don't talk down to me again, when what I suggest actually works during a game At one point, they threatened to sub for RIdley I yelled out No!" and he stayed in. 

Wow! I didn't know the tinfoil Burger King crown transmitted signals as well as receiving them. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice job by D today... : Why do we not use one LEAD back on a drive?  Note how our offense looked when we used Ridley for all kinds of plays, or BJGE for that matter. Why doesn't O'Brien do this to start games? Can you explain this? It's not like Buffalo's D is so outstanding.  We pass on them, but they can't stop a run? lol Call set screens like we saw to BJGE after mixing in some runs, etc.  He improved, but he didn't call a good game in the first half again. Instead balls are forced to Gronk and Welker. O'Brien was much better after halftime throwing in wrinkles for Hernandez and Edelman.

The funny thing is in the first half he called exactly what you've been asking for.  He started with Brady under center, running Ridley twice.  That only netted two yards on two plays, so he had to pass (incomplete on 3 and 8).  On the second drive, they started with an incomplete pass to Gronk, which ended up not counting because of a Buffalo penalty, then went I formation, with Ridley and Polite--but only got two yards. They passed after that--one incompletion and one sack.  On their third drive, they went no-huddle with a very nice mix of plays . . . and moved the ball 77 yards to score a touchdown. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]Right, just like in the Jets game for example. It doesn't matter how successful it is, it's that they do it. Do you really think it's a conicdence they actually try to show run and do it and then they reel off 35 points in a half? I don't care if it's Ridley for 3 yards on 2 carries and playaction to Ochocinco in NY or the fact Buffalo had to respect the run finally and then we finally could use more the playbook. It's about the playbook, professor, not BJGE or Ridley morphing into Jim Brown or John Riggins during a game for 165 yards rushing. In your world, you see nothing wrong with subbing RBs and some wild choices for shotguns, limited protection for Brady, etc. You've proven time and again not to get it.  Try another sport.

So you liked what O'Brien called then?  Good for you.  I did too. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The D plays well fairly often lately. They might not be too bad if they get more consistent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

ALL:

Look, this may be hard to fathom for some, but the reason people like Rusty is goin' for some of your throats right here, is the very same reason people like me have been goin' apesh#t against more often than not, posters whom express the very same sentiments elsewhere and ALL Season long... 
         The brilliant mindset of: "Our Defense is bad because they give up more points than the points they themselves personally put on the actual scoreboard for, For NE; The Offense, on the otherhand is being held back by The NE Defense, because look it's obvious, they tend to put more points up on the scoreboard under NE's numerical tally, than what they allow under the opposing team's final score numbers=Clear As Day, NE's D svx!"

And yea, attempting to argue 25 different posters with that absolutely m#r#nic mindset, DOES tend ta make a non-braind#maged NFL Fan, a bit b0nkers.

Fact is: When the score's 28-21 in favor of NE with an entire 4th quarter left to play and Buffalo's ball, and then Devin McCourty comes down with an INT in Bills territory (oh btw-just as DMC did last week in his 9TT, 4PD, and 1 INT performance), which here- Leads to a score by NE on a very short field, making it 35-21 in the 4th quarter, AND I F'ING STILL see a DMC thread comparing an injured 2nd year player who was a pro-bowler in his 1st year, To: "Being the same as Laurence Maroney, An utter & complete bust who shouldn't even be in the NFL..."...yea, Once again=B0nkers time for people like Laz & Rusty.

Hey btw, HERE's a thought, ready?  Anyone else glad to see the Coach of our team attempting to switch up Defensive Looks and personell in the meaningless final game of the season, just in the hopes that just maybe-1 of his switches might result in a better playoff performance at some critically needed junction by a NE Pats Player or guys at a certain position on NE? 
          Example: Pointless last game, DMC's injured...Ya got 1 Safety on your entire roster and he's always hurt, but he's back today, sooo: Why not place DMC and Chung AT Safety together, and see IF maybe this can yield even 1 positive result like- A> Keeping DMC more healthy, B> Making it so DMC and Chung can work a bit more closely together than usual, C> Testing the idea that IF ya only have either 1 or just None NFL Quality Safeties on the field in most circumstances this whole season, why not place 2! good field tacticians together to oversee and command a better field awareness to help a group of lesser CBs...and see if THIS makes a difference in NE's passing D, and finally D> Do ALL of this, while at the same time, offer up some CBs who ride the bench 90% of the time, some REAL and decent gametime experience during this last largely pointless game.
          QUESTION: Did we come to any of these conclusions st#pid and embittered posters, OR- Did we just go with this regard instead: "Bill Belichick placed DMC at Safety because McCourty is a worthless Cornerback,"?  Hmmm?     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice job by D today... : The funny thing is in the first half he called exactly what you've been asking for.  He started with Brady under center, running Ridley twice.  That only netted two yards on two plays, so he had to pass (incomplete on 3 and 8).  On the second drive, they started with an incomplete pass to Gronk, which ended up not counting because of a Buffalo penalty, then went I formation, with Ridley and Polite--but only got two yards. They passed after that--one incompletion and one sack.  On their third drive, they went no-huddle with a very nice mix of plays . . . and moved the ball 77 yards to score a touchdown. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

They went back to under center later in the game...first time I remember them really commiting to that for an entire drive. Did pretty well but also did well with the shotgun...seems more like everyone getting in rythm than what they run.

Still..do not think under center is nessesarily the answer in the beginning of games...don't know what is. Perhaps the shotgun with a few gadget plays thrown in. I think keeping the same formation for all three downs and being completely unpredictable about pass or run is important. The screen to BJGE was a really nice play to keep the D on their heels.

Seems like all NE needs to do is make two or three first downs and its off to the races. Would love to se them start fast. Can't imagine its not a very high priority for them at this point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice job by D today... : I didn't know we could win in the playoffs while not scoring points for entire halves and throwing INTs before halftime for no reason. Stick to tiddlywinks and unions, Prolate.  You're about as bright as Cris Carter on a good day. lmao

Hi Rusty - this appearance is typical for you - no where to be found during the game especially during the 1st half when the Pats D was being sliced up like Swiss cheese - I had to laugh - after the Pats D coughed up the opening 7 - putting immediate pressure on the offense - the Pats come out under center for the 1st 2 plays - for a net yard - and then go shotgun at 3rd and 9 - I figured you would come in and say that the the offense was responsible for the 14-0 deficit because they went into the shotgun on 3 and 9 on the 1st drive

Didn't hear from you until after the game - not surprised though - the D allows 3 consecutive TD's and you are scarce - but the Offense turns it around and scores 42 unanswered points and then you show up telling the board how it was the D that really turned the tide for the Pats in the game

Rusty - I have finally figured it out - you ARE the weakest link - goodbye!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]It is a wretched defense.  Absolutely wretched.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

but they play with heart.  and I think "wretched", while being a fun bostonism to mis-use, is mis-used here.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]ALL : Look, this may be hard to fathom for some, but the reason people like Rusty is goin' for some of your throats right here, is the very same reason people like me have been goin' apesh#t against more often than not, posters whom express the very same sentiments elsewhere and ALL Season long...       The brilliant mindset of: " Our Defense is bad because they give up more points than the points they themselves personally put on the actual scoreboard for, For NE; The Offense, on the otherhand is being held back by The NE Defense, because look it's obvious, they tend to put more points up on the scoreboard under NE's numerical tally, than what they allow under the opposing team's final score numbers=Clear As Day, NE's D svx !" And yea, attempting to argue 25 different posters with that absolutely m#r#nic mindset, DOES tend ta make a non-braind#maged NFL Fan, a bit b0nkers. Fact is : When the score's 28-21 in favor of NE with an entire 4th quarter left to play and Buffalo's ball, and then Devin McCourty comes down with an INT in Bills territory (oh btw-just as DMC did last week in his 9TT, 4PD, and 1 INT performance), which here- Leads to a score by NE on a very short field, making it 35-21 in the 4th quarter, AND I F'ING STILL see a DMC thread comparing an injured 2nd year player who was a pro-bowler in his 1st year, To: " Being the same as Laurence Maroney , An utter   & complete bust who shouldn't even be in the NFL ..."...yea, Once again=B0nkers time for people like Laz & Rusty. Hey btw, HERE's a thought, ready?  Anyone else glad to see the Coach of our team attempting to switch up Defensive Looks and personell in the meaningless final game of the season, just in the hopes that just maybe-1 of his switches might result in a better playoff performance at some critically needed junction by a NE Pats Player or guys at a certain position on NE?        Example : Pointless last game, DMC's injured...Ya got 1 Safety on your entire roster and he's always hurt, but he's back today, sooo: Why not place DMC and Chung AT Safety together, and see IF maybe this can yield even 1 positive result like- A /> Keeping DMC more healthy, B > Making it so DMC and Chung can work a bit more closely together than usual, C > Testing the idea that IF ya only have either 1 or just None NFL Quality Safeties on the field in most circumstances this whole season, why not place 2! good field tacticians together to oversee and command a better field awareness to help a group of lesser CBs...and see if THIS makes a difference in NE's passing D, and finally D > Do ALL of this, while at the same time, offer up some CBs who ride the bench 90% of the time, some REAL and decent gametime experience during this last largely pointless game.       QUESTION : Did we come to any of these conclusions st#pid and embittered posters, OR- Did we just go with this regard instead: " Bill Belichick placed DMC at Safety because McCourty is   a worthless Cornerback ,"?  Hmmm?     
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Yes, I too was glad to see this by the coach.  Not only did they take care of business, they used the game to improve as a team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]It is a wretched defense.  Absolutely wretched.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Not saying they're great, or even good. Just saying they played well today, after the 1st quarter.

They are not super talented, but they have grit and heart. They don't give up when they get down.

They sort of come out plain vanilla until they get a feel for what the opponent is doing. Once they make the adjustments, they seem to play with much more confidence and tenacity. Today, from the second quarter on, I never once felt the Bills were a threat to score.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The pats o has started slow at times this season. So what is the key to getting them going fast? Play calls, no huddle, what? I know one thing..when they start clicking they are unstoppable and it seems to energize the defense as it did today. Perhaps coincidence, but the d seemed to pick it up after the offense got rolling. I thought the d today played well for 3 quarters. Them getting off to a good start is important as well. Are we to see more McCourty at safety? With mol den/Moore/Arrington/Edelman at corner? I also saw fletcher line up at de a few times..I for one like how BB is mixing it up. I got to think he is going to find the right combos that he wants in time for the playlets... I do agree with mthurl...love looked bad...maybe we should slide Ellis inside as he seems to slow on the outside.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]yes, and no. terrible, slow start by both sides of the ball. With a sizable lead, bills were forced to throw; which allowed the Patriots more chances to INT the ball. then again, it was the bills, a team that lost a whole lotta steam about 1/2 way into the season. So, what does it really mean?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

But the Pats didn't have a sizable lead until well into the second half. What about when the Bills had a sizable lead? Their offense was shut down in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nice job by D today... :  Yes, I too was glad to see this by the coach.  Not only did they take care of business, they used the game to improve as a team.
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

See, don'tcha dig that!?!  I LOVE having an HC for the team I follow, who thinks things through to those depths.  I read from the usually very factual & unbiased Greg Bedard, just before the game's start- And he said something like, DMC's at Safety, which is a clear showing that Belichick has no faith in him at Corner.  Bedard almost never comes to those half-baked conclusions based on nothin' more than a quick personal look at the gameday roster set-up, opinion, and bam-1 sided conclusion (and read it, that is ALL he based his point on=very UN-Bedard like).  Sooo...it's either that, OR: The dozen or so benefits all intertwined from trying this out in 1 game in Week 16...either or though (Lol).    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Although not good on anyone's heart, this D has given up 1 score or less,in 7 of it's last 8 games, in the second half.  Today they did it in 3 qtrs.
    They are not wretched.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

First quarter - cringeworthy in all three phases for sure. But I really like the way they tightened it up in the 2nd quarter, then shut things down in the second half. They're resilient and once the O started rolling, they picked up their game too.

I think its fascinating and a little nerve wracking to watch them week after week. At the end of the regular season, the Pats are 13-3 (fact), AFC #1 seed (fact). The way they are winning seems counterintuitive, but in BB I trust! 

Sections
Shortcuts