Nice to See Screen Plays - Play Calling Still Vanilla

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Nice to See Screen Plays - Play Calling Still Vanilla

The Patriots are obviously practicing screen plays, though the play calling for the run plays were vanilla.

Anyone ever notice how the Patriot run plays rarely involve any movement of players; whereas, the eagles used different alignments and sometime players moved around a bit to disguise who is getting the ball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Nice to See Screen Plays - Play Calling Still Vanilla

I don't agree. I thought there was a good mix in the play calling. Hard to judge the skill players on offense because the line kept collapsing. Lesean McCoy is very good, I don't see any Patriots RBs on his level so they can do some things the Pats can't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Very few starters play and BB has notoriously run a watered-down offense every preseason. He gives NOTHING to the league to put on film.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Don't agree whatsoever, thought the play calling was great, the execution could have been better and you'll see more wrinkles and trick plays in the regular season but we moved the chains efficiently... with Mallett and Hoyer mind you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I saw most of the first half, and they were definitely working on the screens. Some of them were run very well. The run blocking was shaky. Vereen ran harder between the tackles than I thought he would, and scored on the 2 point conversion, so maybe he will get some goal line looks? Friday night should be interesting,  the real dress rehersal for the season. Everyone playing, starters probably going more than a full half.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

That majority of the playcalling for the Pats was vanillla.  To be expected in Preseason game 2 though.  Unlike the Eagles, where Andy Reid dug deep into his closet for some of those plays. 

It was definitely nice to see some screens again though.  Should be very nice with the first unit on.  I fully expect to see Hernandez running some screens as well which will be great fun to watch. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

I wouldn't call the play calling vanilla.  To me it really looked like they were trying various blocking assignments.  The line looked totally out of it at times and Soldier was at the forefront of a lot of the miss ques.  I'm glad they held Brady out. I can't wait to see what happens when the line starts to come together with the play calling the way it is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We mixed it up but the calls were still vanilla, as the Eagles were digging in deep. Gruden even commented on Reid using a lot of the play book on offense.

We needed to practice the screens, its been a long time since we used much of anything other then down field passing routes. We're probably a little rusty in that area, looks like McD is well aware of that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

In Response to Re: Nice to See Screen Plays - Play Calling Still Vanilla:
    We mixed it up but the calls were still vanilla, as the Eagles were digging in deep. Gruden even commented on Reid using a lot of the play book on offense. We needed to practice the screens, its been a long time since we used much of anything other then down field passing routes. We're probably a little rusty in that area, looks like McD is well aware of that.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Yah i think the Pats need a bit more practice on some of them.  A few a eagles made some good reads, but a couple it seemed a bit rushed.  The QB has to sell the fake for the screen to work.  One or two where the screens got stopped before they started to me it seemed like they didn't sell any blocking or qb fake.

On the other hand  some of them looked picture perfect, so all in all I was glad to see them trying to work on executing them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I wan't really expecting anything but vanilla at this stage; since it's still pre-season.  Would have like to see more play action, more movement of players to disquise or mis-direct defenders from play at hand...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

All last year I was screaming for screens so seeing them run as many as they did I thought was great. This was part of why the Pats destroyed teams in 07 because it keeps the backs and safeties honest while moving the chains.

This was the Pats second team against the Eagles first and they went in at halftime tied with two TD's off red-zone turnovers.

It may not have told us much with so many people sitting but I'll tell you one thing.......If I'm an Eagles fan I'm not feeling too good right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: Nice to See Screen Plays - Play Calling Still Vanilla : Yah i think the Pats need a bit more practice on some of them.  A few a eagles made some good reads, but a couple it seemed a bit rushed.  The QB has to sell the fake for the screen to work.  One or two where the screens got stopped before they started to me it seemed like they didn't sell any blocking or qb fake. On the other hand  some of them looked picture perfect, so all in all I was glad to see them trying to work on executing them.
    Posted by csylvia79

They definately ran too many of them. But it's the preseason so I'm thinking they were looking to see how well everyone could set up the screen more than how many yards were gained.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Mcdonald ad Connoly stood out in the screen game. Both guys move well. The more I look at our O-line the more I realize we have built something special. When the 3 pro bowl caliber starters come back we will see a versatile deep unit that can both pass protect and run block.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Good to see the screens.  I wouldn't expect anything at all revealing in the playcalling on either side of the ball. O line still needs work but Mankins and Vollmer will be back soon.  Liked some things that I saw.  All in all, not a surprising pre-season game.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Only a troll complains about vanilla play calling in a preseason game.
    Posted by Mighty2013

Bill likes to give the opponent's DC as little film as possible during the preseason. I could be wrong but I didn't see much running outside the tackles either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Nice to See Screen Plays - Play Calling Still Vanilla : Bill likes to give the opponent's DC as little film as possible during the preseason. I could be wrong but I didn't see much running outside the tackles either.
    Posted by glenr

You're not wong almost all of the running was going up the middle. Largely responsible for our 2 ypc average.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Very few starters play and BB has notoriously run a watered-down offense every preseason. He gives NOTHING to the league to put on film.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Yeah, I suspect you're right...guess we'll have to wait for regular season games to see what wrinkles they have in store for opponents.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

All last year I was screaming for screens so seeing them run as many as they did I thought was great. This was part of why the Pats destroyed teams in 07 because it keeps the backs and safeties honest while moving the chains. This was the Pats second team against the Eagles first and they went in at halftime tied with two TD's off red-zone turnovers. It may not have told us much with so many people sitting but I'll tell you one thing.......If I'm an Eagles fan I'm not feeling too good right now.
    Posted by Sam-Adams

lol...true. first teamers vs. scrubs...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Game plan or not I though the play calling was great, given the situation at hand. They used backups to go on an 80 yard TD scoring drive against the number one's of the  highly touted Eagles defense. The penalties helped negate the interception and keep the drive alive but still, it was impressive. 

I think this offense will be better than 2007. They don't have 2007 Moss but overall they have better players, namely the two tight ends. I think Lloyd will be very good too. This is our year!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Nice to See Screen Plays - Play Calling Still Vanilla : You're not wong almost all of the running was going up the middle. Largely responsible for our 2 ypc average.
    Posted by TrueChamp

I thought that was odd too; especially w/ the likes of vereen and demps...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Only a troll complains about vanilla play calling in a preseason game.
    Posted by Mighty2013

LOL. Mighty BB brownoser is back. Glad to see you stalking my threads again....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Game plan or not I though the play calling was great, given the situation at hand. They used backups to go on an 80 yard TD scoring drive against the number one's of the  highly touted Eagles defense. The penalties helped negate the interception and keep the drive alive but still, it was impressive.  I think this offense will be better than 2007. They don't have 2007 Moss but overall they have better players, namely the two tight ends. I think Lloyd will be very good too. This is our year!
    Posted by sporter81

they did fairly well for scrubs.  I don't know if they will score more pts. vs. 2007. I'm hoping that w/ 3 TEs and a FB, that our offense will be less predictable, and manage the clock a little better. Also hoping that our DE/olb play will mask out some of our coverage problems in secondary.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Mallett in particular is a near-rookie.  He missed being coached up during the lockout.  He needs near-vanilla right now.  He knows which one of the guys in front of him will hike the ball to him.  Furthermore he's throwing the ball to rookies or he's handing the ball off to rookies.  Get it right in preseason, and try some gimmicks when the real games are here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Mallett in particular is a near-rookie.  He missed being coached up during the lockout.  He needs near-vanilla right now.  He knows which one of the guys in front of him will hike the ball to him.  Furthermore he's throwing the ball to rookies or he's handing the ball off to rookies.  Get it right in preseason, and try some gimmicks when the real games are here.
    Posted by Paul_K

You're absolutely right. If Brady were to go down - and Mallet was thrown into the fire - they would have to keep things simple like they did for Cassell.

Sections
Shortcuts