Nike to Vick: "No doggone chance!"... Is it fair?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Nike to Vick: "No doggone chance!"... Is it fair?

After Vick's people announced yesterday that Nike had resigned him, Nike came out today and LOUDLY said they had not! Should this guy, like Kobe, ever get a second chance? talking by both the fans and advertisers. Would u buy something he markets?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

Re: Nike to Vick: "No doggone chance!"... Is it fair?

Would u buy something he markets?

Nope

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's an interesting question.

Normally, I do not choose products based on who is hawking them, but I suppose -- at least subconsciously -- I have avoided products that are represented by people I dislike, like Wrangler jeans, for instance.

I can't imagine what company would want to involve itself with a guy in Vick's situation. I don't think he's ever going to live this down, and no, I do not believe that is particularly "fair," whatever that means. But "unfair" happens to everybody every day and if you are one of those people who spends time bemoaning that fact (and you are more than . . .  say . . .   five years old), then you have bigger problems than trying to decide whether or not you can wear those sneakers because the pitch man is a soulless deviant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The image your business has is invaluable.  This is especially the case for products such as sneakers where the majority of the sales are based off of image, not any real distinguishing characteristics of the product.  Nike is well within their right to avoid anyone that might harm their image.  It's not about whether or not it is fair.  It's about a responsibility to the shareholders to maximize the value of the shares.  Right wrong or indifferent, Vick would tarnish their hard earned image.

Life isn't fair; not in the least.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

It's a free market - producers and consumers are free to do as they please, and if you don't like it, don't buy their products.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Nike products anyway.  I think Cutters makes the best football gloves ever (EVER!  Way stickier and the grip is WAY more durable), while Under Armor makes the best cold weather, sweat-wicking shirt.  Nike shoes are garbage if you're a bigger runner - I'm 6'0" 200lbs and Nikes never made it through a track season without losing their support, so I buy Aisics and New Balance shoes for running.

Vapor TD cleats were the only things worth it to me other than the brand name (football cleats lighter than some track flats), but Nike discontinued them and Adidas makes lighter cleats now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Is it fair that Vick is not getting a second chance from advertisers?

When it comes to business and making or losing money, very few things are unfair

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I don't think "fair" is the right term. But I do think it is. Any fool should know if you commit criminal acts that any reputable business will not want to be associated with you. If Vick was too stupid to realize this, he should have had a business agent who would have told him. But it seems that either whatever money he was making off the dog fighting, or whatever "respect" he got from his cohorts was more important to him than his business interests. He made his bed, now he has to lie in it. If he doesn't sleep well it's his own fault! He admitted to Chris Carter that while he was engaged in this stuff he neglected football. He also neglected his responsibility to his sponsors. Football may indeed be a business, but it's also entertainment. Nike is merely interested in profit, and image is a huge thing in advertising. He blew it. Sometimes you get a "second chance", sometimes you don't. LIFE is not fair, not by a long shot! He should be grateful that the NFL let him back in! That is more than he deserves, IMO. And I'm sure a lot of others agree with me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

I would, yes... whether or not I could afford it is something else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Nike to Vick: "No doggone chance!"... Is it fair?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nike to Vick: "No doggone chance!"... Is it fair? : personally, i think forcibly making a girl's azz bleed on your 14 inches of choco steel is far worse than what vick did (well, at best, it's equally disgusting.. moral equivalence).  
    Posted by bubbakilla[/QUOTE]

Damn Bubba, that is just way too much information there.  I'm not even going to ask you how you know or why you remember.  That post is like standing on a hill in front of the enemy with a target painted on your chest.  I'm going into my foxhole to watch this from afar.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Nike to Vick: "No doggone chance!"... Is it fair?:
    [QUOTE]After Vick's people announced yesterday that Nike had resigned him, Nike came out today and LOUDLY said they had not! Should this guy, like Kobe, ever get a second chance? talking by both the fans and advertisers. Would u buy something he markets?

Manufacturers have the right to select whoever they want to "sponsor" their products. Obviously, they feel that Vick would hurt their bottom line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

kobe had the same type of issues, if not worse... personally, i think forcibly making a girl's azz bleed on your 14 inches of choco steel is far worse than what vick did (well, at best, it's equally disgusting.. moral equivalence). but kobe is just too valuable in the marketplace and the fans clearly are ready to reembrace him so it only makes since for Nike and others to jump on the bandwagon.

First off, I want to second Caraway's opinion that this was WAY too much information! And while I agree that (if that is true) Kobe's actions were as bad as Vick's, there is one big difference. With Kobe it was a he said/she said thing. I don't think he ever came out and admitted he raped the girl (I don't follow the NBA, so I may have missed something). But Vick not only admitted what he did, he also has the stigma of not coming clean until he was ratted out and had no other choice. I'd bet if you polled NBA fans about Kobe, half would say the girl was merely gold digging, and it was blown out of porportion. Thus he's more widely accepted, and his sponsors felt that his image was valuable to their ad campaign. But with Vick it's another story. There is no "grey area" as to his guilt or the circumstances in his case. While it might be 50/50 on the "opinion front", those who oppose him are quite adamant about it. Personally, I'd like to see him never play football again. I'm sure there are a lot of other fans who feel the same way. And if he did have sponsors, they would be subject to demonstrations by groups like PETA, and those people are fanatics! I'm an animal lover (I have 12 myself), but the people at PETA are almost as intense as the right to lifers who burned abortion clinics! So not only is Vick not as "good" at his profession as Kobe, but his opposition would be more staunch (and has more resources) in their retaliation, IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

None of which alters the reality that Kobe is, in fact, a complete deusche.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]After Vick's people announced yesterday that Nike had resigned him, Nike came out today and LOUDLY said they had not! Should this guy, like Kobe, ever get a second chance? talking by both the fans and advertisers. Would u buy something he markets?

Is is "fair"?
    Gotta love these lefty libbie posts!

Nike made a BUSINESS DECISION in not signing him up again.
    Can you deal with that? That means they don't want to be associated with a dog killer. Maybe you have an issue with this decision, but the majority of reasonable people don't.

"Fair"?

LMFAO!  God loves and watches out for drunks, fools, and lefties.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

This is proof of teh old saying: If you can't pay teh rent, at least pay attention.

Do you even know why Kobe got back in "good graces"? I don't think you know or even paid attention when it happened.

THERE WAS NO CRIME! The "victim" was somewhat less than credible (similar stuff in her past), and SHE refused to testify. No "victim", no case, no crime. Isn't justice wonderful?

Get you facts straight before crying about "fairness".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

In Response to Re: Nike to Vick: "No doggone chance!"... Is it fair? : Damn Bubba, that is just way too much information there.  I'm not even going to ask you how you know or why you remember.  That post is like standing on a hill in front of the enemy with a target painted on your chest.  I'm going into my foxhole to watch this from afar.
    Posted by carawaydj
    From what I was able to deduce from that kobe case, the first 12 inches were CONSENSUAL, it was the 2 that made her cry "RAPE"... How was she to know what he was packing, being from Denver and all? I guess thats why it became a racial deal, question of different norms and expectations... i say tomato, u say "tomaato" type of grey area! 

anyway, I guess I was trying to make a sarcastic point by suggesting that if the dogs could talk, Vick could have paid them off too... yep, it wasnt forced dogfighting, just a consensual misunderstanding! no witness, no case, right? Is that not why they do not do that with domestic abuse cases anymore? They should have pursued that case even without a compliant witness. Had Vick been able to pull a Kobe, noone would have heard most of the details and his enablers would have also been able to rationalize it all by saying "hey, he was never convicted... no witness, no case!" Now what happened to Big Ben is clearly an insult to all ladies who actually get the shaft (no pun intended) without their consent... that gal was just looking for a payoff.. "hey, atleast treat me like a very high end prostituute and compensate me well for good services rendered at your convenience!"

Overall, again, I do agree with the "mainstream" majority  and think Nike and others should stay away... perhaps, since his popularity and likability is even higher in the african-american community, some company could justify taking the risk and marketing specifically to that niche! perhaps, he could do SNL and make self-deprecating jokes about it... every dog has its day... as dogs everywhere get their "revenge"...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

After Vick's people announced yesterday that Nike had resigned him, Nike came out today and LOUDLY said they had not! Should this guy, like Kobe, ever get a second chance? talking by both the fans and advertisers. Would u buy something he markets?
    Posted by bubbakilla

Why is fairness even considered a part of it?

There is no "second chance" about it. He got that when he was reinstated. This is about marketing and selling products which companies won't use if your image isn't enough to sell products, or in Vick's case, could harm the brand. It is just business.

You might as well be asking is it fair that I don't get a first chance to get an advertising contract with Nike.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Yea....the company who's good are made by children in 3rd world coutries for slave wages that are often chained to their machines don't want someone else to ruin THEIR image....that's a good one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]Yea....the company who's good are made by children in 3rd world coutries for slave wages that are often chained to their machines don't want someone else to ruin THEIR image....that's a good one.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is ironic, isn't it. Again, it all comes down to cold hard cash. Nike is dishing it out for the ads, so it's their choice in the end. Whether they are hypocritical or not is a totally different issue. As far as Vick goes, he's selling, but they're not buying. Businessmen don't need to be "ethical". There are plenty of loopholes in the law to allow scumbags to exploit cheap labor. It's not only Nike, but a lot of corporations. In any case, they do not bother to mention this fact in any of their statements about Vick!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]Yea....the company who's good are made by children in 3rd world coutries for slave wages that are often chained to their machines don't want someone else to ruin THEIR image....that's a good one.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

Considering how many goods are made in China and other 3rd world countries, it is logical to assume that only the high profile firms like Nike were even looked into and this practice is quite common.  So if children have made Nikes for slave wages at times, just imagine who also probably made the plates on your table, the souvenir from your last vacation, the toys for your kids, and so on.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I think the band Flight of the Conchords said it best:

They're turning kids into slaves to make cheaper sneakers
    But what's the real cost, cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper
    Why are we paying so much for sneakers when you got little slave kids making them?
    What are your overheads?

from "Think About It"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Here's a story about Vick I'll bet you all missed.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/michael_vick_fails_to_inspire_team

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I really do not understand some people's obsession with michael vick. who cares whether its "fair" or not? He's irrelevant. He's a marginal player at best and has nothing to do with patriot football. just let it go with vick already!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Nike to Vick: "No doggone chance!"... Is it fair? : Is is "fair"? Gotta love these lefty libbie posts! Nike made a BUSINESS DECISION in not signing him up again. Can you deal with that? That means they don't want to be associated with a dog killer. Maybe you have an issue with this decision, but the majority of reasonable people don't. "Fair"? LMFAO!  God loves and watches out for drunks, fools, and lefties.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]asss the pat, u r now a certified presumptive limbaughist! i my friend am a conservative ayn rand absolute free market capitalist. i am far from being a capital leftie or a libbie. however, unlike with your types, i have the capacity to go beyond my kind and acknowledge there are others out there who do not see the world as i do. i think vick was treated "fairly" by Nike not resigning him. it is their market choice. they must think his negatives outweigh his positives overall for them.  again, its their choice. i try to avoid only hearing from my echo chamber and choir.... u dig?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gridlocked. Show gridlocked's posts

What was the point of Vick saying that he had been signed when he hadn't?

There is obviously an angle for him there somewhere.

Sections
Shortcuts