Nnamdi Asomugha = PATRIOT?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha = PATRIOT?

I'll keep it simple ...

If the Pats could sign Asomugha for something near market value ...

SHOULD THEY ? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Nnamdi Asomugha = PATRIOT?

Well . . .   when you consider that "market value"  is whatever he can get, I'd say no.

There's ample reason to be optimistic about New England's secondary for the forseeable future. Breaking the bank for this guy doesn't seem like the right move to me. He's probably worth every penny he'll get, but given current personnel, it wouldn't be a sound investment for the Pats, no matter what Namdi might give them.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

I like Bodden . 

I also like the fact that the Pats have him locked up for the next 3 seasons
    ( After an initial one year free agent deal , the Pats gave him a front loaded 22 mil deal for 4 yrs ...I think it works out to something like 4 mil per over the last 2 years of the contract : 2012-13 )

When you crunch the numbers of what Asomugha will likely fetch ( at least 16 mil per ) compared to Boddens average of 5.5 mil it translates to upwards of 10 mil more per year for Asomugha's services.

Does seem a bit pricey.

Then again , bonified HOF Cbs in their prime don't come along very often
    ( I think theres only like a half dozen CBs in the HOF period. )

I know the following is a tired argument on this sight but I think BRADY's window is something that probably needs to be considered in regards to taking high priced risks in free agency .

Another fair point to consider is that Bodden could then be traded .
    There would certainly be a market for a good CB with 3 years left on a manangable contract.
    ( though this would seem to be a risky move by the Pats )

In the end I highly doubt BB will pay Asomugha's price tag ...
    but personally I wouldn't mind it if he did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha = PATRIOT?:
    [QUOTE] I like Bodden .    I also like the fact that the Pats have him locked up for the next 3 seasons ( After an initial one year free agent deal , the Pats gave him a front loaded 22 mil deal for 4 yrs ...I think it works out to something like 4 mil per over the last 2 years of the contract : 2012-13 )   When you crunch the numbers of what Asomugha will likely fetch ( at least 16 mil per ) compared to Boddens average of 5.5 mil it translates to upwards of 10 mil more per year for Asomugha's services.  Does seem a bit pricey.  Then again , bonified HOF Cbs in their prime don't come along very often ( I think theres only like a half dozen CBs in the HOF period. )  I know the following is a tired argument on this sight but I think BRADY's window is something that probably needs to be considered in regards to taking high priced risks in free agency .    Another fair point to consider is that Bodden could then be traded . There would certainly be a market for a good CB with 3 years left on a manangable contract. ( though this would seem to be a risky move by the Pats ) In the end I highly doubt BB will pay Asomugha's price tag ... but personally I wouldn't mind it if he did.
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

I was just about to write something similar.  If you "could" get Aso for a reasonable contract, then you don't bench bodden, you trade him.  They just drafted another CB this year.  I would take an Aso/McCourty dou over Bodden/McCourty any day.

As for committing to much money for one guy, I use to buy that and say they need to spend and upgrade the D-line/Outside LB.  But since BB is NEVER going to draft a pass rusher (heavy sarcasm there as I still can't believe we didn't draft one this year), they may as well create the best defensive backfield in the league.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Lets look at it this way.

We have Bodden and McCourty. We just drafted a CB in Ras that people are high on. So how much is Aso really going to improve the team for his cost?

Breaking it down even further, you think that he's going to come in around 16 mil. Well I think Roth comes in at say 4 mil a year and I'm high on Floyd so lets bring him in at 5.5 mil a year and you still are 6.5 mil left. That 6.5 mil can resign G Warren, Faulk, BJGE, Ojin, White, and still have enough left over to bring the team out for pizza and milkshakes afterwards. I think I'd rather have Roth, Floyd and and extra 6.5mil to resign depth then Aso by himself

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

It seems to me that Ras-I Dowling is destined to be a key factor in the Patriots near future (for better or worse )
       The Pats thought enough of him to do what NOBODY thought they'd do , namely use their pick #33 to actually make a selection .
      This obviously means they're VERY high on him , and thus have an immediate plan to utilize him . 
      In fact , they must have really been afraid to lose out on him , as they weren't willing to roll the dice and move back by taking the SF deal .

Also , as noted above , his addition to the Pats probably diminishes the slim chances that Asumugha will become a Patriot.

So even though Dowling wasn't taken in the 1st round , if he turns out to be a dud , it'll have to go down as one of BB's biggest personnel misteps .

PS - I think his ball-hawking skills may have been the best of any College Db and his willingness to mix it up with ball carriers makes him a likely candidate for some type of hybrid safety / slot position .
     The Mil dollar question is : CAN HE STAY HEALTHY ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

I could see the Pats taking Asomugha IF he gives a huge discount to them. Who knows, the man's made crazy money - maybe he'd rather win a SB or two to close out his career.

BB has been on record as saying that you can never have too many great CB's. I could easily see McCourty, Asomugha and Bodden as the top 3 CBs, then you have the second tier of Arrington, Dowling and Butler. Then the third tier of Wilhite (who might be let go in this situation).

With a backfield like that suddenly the front seven are way more inclined to be a destructive force - who needs an elite OLB when you can send 5-7 players after the QB almost every down?

Definitely not saying that it would happen, because he'd have to take a gigantic discount, but in theory I'd be surprised if BB didn't at least TALK with the guy... BB's too smart not to waste the outside chance.

Personally I think that the Pats'll have a great secondary either way, but with Asomugha added to the existing squad you're starting to talk about '85 Bears territory

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

No.

The Pats wouldn't pay a reincarnated Jim Brown $16 mil a year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

NO way I'd go after him...way too much money to tie up for a position we already got covered nicely

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

They are set at the CB position...Dowling is a nice addition http://60maxpowero.com/draftermath1.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats1977. Show pats1977's posts

I agree with most people on here. We have a greater need for an impact outside linebacker.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

2 things:

The Patriots let Db's walk when they want to get paid, though that is a big weakness on this current squad. So why would they spend big here? Asante is better than this guy.

Watching Nnamdi Asomugha's play in person over the past few years, it's highly overrated by the media. The guy is slightly above average IMO, to pay big would be a huge cap blunder. He's a 5-6 million $ guy in my book, and somebody is going to grossly overpay. Better hope it's not you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Yea and Law Firm and K Faulk are a must to resign IMO.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Will, and should, the Pats resign Faulk? Sammy Morris and Fred Jackson are sure bets to be gone...and be replaced by rookies Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley. BJGE and Danny Woodhead are sure bets to be on the roster. So...should the Patriots keep 4 RBs...or 5, with Faulk?    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha = PATRIOT? :      Will, and should, the Pats resign Faulk? Sammy Morris and Fred Jackson are sure bets to be gone...and be replaced by rookies Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley. BJGE and Danny Woodhead are sure bets to be on the roster. So...should the Patriots keep 4 RBs...or 5, with Faulk?    
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Shane Vereen is very good out of the backfield catching balls, same as Kevin Faulk.  They can't use an extra roster spot for 2 players that are essential the same type of player

It is time to thank Kevin Faulk for everything he has done as a Patriot and everything he has done for the Patriots.  Have a day when there is football again honoring him as a New England Patriot

Encourage him to retire and offer him a position on the staff to work with or assist with the RB's....

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

First off, the trade demand would likely be a 1st and 3rd (at least and probably more like 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th). After we get him he gets 15M + , which means we say goodbye to Mankins and Light (the left side of our O Line) and trust Connelly and Solder to protect Brady ( who is better than Asomugha). Do you really want players with limited experience protecting the franchise ?

Secondly, if Bodden is healthy and McCourty conitnues to emerge (no sophomore jinx) we should have one of the better tandems in the league. The problem with our secondary is that we have no pass rush and if you give any QB too much time to throw any secondary will look bad. Our secondary has two potential pro-bowlers (McCourty and Meriweather) and two quality starters (Bodden and Chung). Remember when Dre Bly and Champ Bailey were considered the best CB tandem in the NFL.....Do you recall them winning any Super Bowls ?

So the essence of what you're proposing is that we have the best CB tandem in the NFL and we're willing to sacrifice Brady's blindside and numerous draft picks (eg:the future) to get it and put the Patriots in potential cap hell (huge signing) for the next 4 years. Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Rusty, I don`t know that I`d say McCourty was better than Revis, but I do know that the Jets had a better pass rush and the (supposedly) best CB tandem in the NFL and evidently failed to win their division last year.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Revis was injured. If, however, you were to compare Revis`first year versus McCourty`s first year that would be a fair comparison and one that McCourty might even win. I still see Woodson as the gold standard, not that he`s currently the best, but that he has been in top 5 for about 14 years; that`s pretty extraordinary.

25. This post has been removed.