Nnamdi Asomugha signs with 49ers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha signs with 49ers

They're loading up for next season.

From PFT.com:

A formidable 49ers defense has added another talented player to the mix.

The Niners have come to terms with former Eagles cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported on Tuesday.

Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Asomugha agreed to a one-year contract worth as much as $3 million. However, the deal doesn’t include anyguaranteed money, per the cornerback’s request, Schefter said.

On his best form, the 31-year-old Asomugha could give the 49ers a lift in the secondary. He played his first eight seasons for Oakland (2003-2010), establishing himself as one of the NFL’s best at his position. However, he didn’t fare as well in the last two seasons, both in Philadelphia.

Asomugha joins a San Francisco defense with a stout front seven, but the Niners struggled against the Ravens’ passing game in Super Bowl XLVII, and free safetyDashon Goldson has moved on to Tampa Bay. The 49ers, who surrendered just 200.2 passing yards per game in the regular season, surrendered 306.0 per contest in three postseason games, with Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco both faring particularly well against San Francisco in the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Nnamdi Asomugha signs with 49ers

holy sh.it they are building an all star team

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Who cares? Goldson is a huge loss on their back end and Asamougha can't play zone and eosn't want to tackle, which is a huge advantage for offenses.

He used to be dominant in Oakland and has gone downhill since. 

Its kinda funny....if he would have signed here many would be saying " great signing...low/ no risk with no guaranteed money with decent situational reward potential. At the Bare minimum a camp body"

perspective is a funny thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

When a player comes to us we talk highly about a player but when he goes to another team we talk about how bad he is. I guess It's a perspective thing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

Who cares? Goldson is a huge loss on their back end and Asamougha can't play zone and eosn't want to tackle, which is a huge advantage for offenses.

Its kinda funny....if he would have signed here many would be saying " great signing...low/ no risk with no guaranteed money with decent situational reward potential. At the Bare minimum a camp body"

well i still think it is a good signing.....however i agree with russ that the goldson loss may end up being huge.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to BrianKangu's comment:

When a player comes to us we talk highly about a player but when he goes to another team we talk about how bad he is. I guess It's a perspective thing. 

here is some perspective for you...it is based on factual information to help you learn and form your own opinions. Note Revis and Grimes missed most of the season so nnamde was actually the worst value based CB in the entire LG last year.

Still with no guaranteed money I applaud him for proving himself after raping the eagels for all that money.

Anyway he is certanly not an "allstar" as sox fan says above.

Performance Based Value: Cornerbacks John Maney | 2013/03/09

In this series of pieces, Pro Football Focus is hammering into the value of players. To us it’s a “Performance Based Value” number, telling you what players were worth (by our grading) in 2012. You can read about the work we’ve done to create it here, but in short:

• It’s solely about what a player did on the field in 2012
    • Players are grouped by positions so their play essentially earns them a portion of the positional salary pool
    • It’s all about cap hits (these values are approximate)

Let’s take a look at the league’s most overvalued CBs.

1. Darrelle Revis, New York Jets

2012 Cap Hit: $11.5m
    2012 Performance Based Value: $950k
    Value Differential: -$10.6m

Perhaps it’s not entirely fair to include Revis on this list, as he lasted just 93 snaps into the season and compiled an outstanding +5.9 grade in his limited action before going down with an ACL tear. Nevertheless, a season-ending injury didn’t prevent a cap hit of over $11 million, and regardless of how good Revis has been, the Jets just didn’t get anywhere close to the value that they paid for in 2012.

2. Brent Grimes, Atlanta Falcons

2012 Cap Hit: $10.3m
    2012 Performance Based Value: $40k
    Value Differential: -$10.2m

With a stellar 2011 season in which he received an overall grade of +17.2, Grimes earned the franchise tag and, unfortunately for Atlanta, the massive cap hit that came along with it. It would’ve been difficult to play up to that kind of value at all and only three CBs did so in 2012. So it’s not a surprise that Grimes fell far short of that mark after he went down with an Achilles after playing just 52 snaps.

3. Nnamdi Asomugha, Philadelphia Eagles

2012 Cap Hit: $11.0m
    2012 Performance Based Value: $1.1m
    Value Differential: -$9.9m

Despite a solid year in run defense, Asomugha was doomed by surrendering five touchdowns and allowing more than 66 percent of passes to be completed for a 15.9 yard average. The former Raider consistently failed to live up to his reputation and enormous salary in his second year with the Eagles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

here is some perspective for you...it is based on factual information to help you learn and form your own opinions. Note Revis and Grimes missed most of the season so nnamde was actually the worst value based CB in the entire LG last year.

Still with no guaranteed money I applaud him for proving himself after raping the eagels for all that money.

Anyway he is certanly not an "allstar" as sox fan says above.

Performance Based Value: Cornerbacks John Maney | 2013/03/09

In this series of pieces, Pro Football Focus is hammering into the value of players. To us it’s a “Performance Based Value” number, telling you what players were worth (by our grading) in 2012. You can read about the work we’ve done to create it here, but in short:

• It’s solely about what a player did on the field in 2012
    • Players are grouped by positions so their play essentially earns them a portion of the positional salary pool
    • It’s all about cap hits (these values are approximate)

Let’s take a look at the league’s most overvalued CBs.

1. Darrelle Revis, New York Jets

2012 Cap Hit: $11.5m
    2012 Performance Based Value: $950k
    Value Differential: -$10.6m

Perhaps it’s not entirely fair to include Revis on this list, as he lasted just 93 snaps into the season and compiled an outstanding +5.9 grade in his limited action before going down with an ACL tear. Nevertheless, a season-ending injury didn’t prevent a cap hit of over $11 million, and regardless of how good Revis has been, the Jets just didn’t get anywhere close to the value that they paid for in 2012.

2. Brent Grimes, Atlanta Falcons

2012 Cap Hit: $10.3m
    2012 Performance Based Value: $40k
    Value Differential: -$10.2m

With a stellar 2011 season in which he received an overall grade of +17.2, Grimes earned the franchise tag and, unfortunately for Atlanta, the massive cap hit that came along with it. It would’ve been difficult to play up to that kind of value at all and only three CBs did so in 2012. So it’s not a surprise that Grimes fell far short of that mark after he went down with an Achilles after playing just 52 snaps.

3. Nnamdi Asomugha, Philadelphia Eagles

2012 Cap Hit: $11.0m
    2012 Performance Based Value: $1.1m
    Value Differential: -$9.9m

Despite a solid year in run defense, Asomugha was doomed by surrendering five touchdowns and allowing more than 66 percent of passes to be completed for a 15.9 yard average. The former Raider consistently failed to live up to his reputation and enormous salary in his second year with the Eagles.

he may not be an allstar at this point, but he definitely was in oakland and that wasnt too long ago. he may have just been a bad fit in philly and he just might thrive in that 9ers defense.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

I wouldn't have. Been saying it the whole time.  He refused to play zone in Philly and didn't like to tackle.

He doesn't really want a ring. He wanted the biggest contract 3 years ago (like Revis), and even though he was better than Revis 2 years ago in Oakland, his ego has been out of control.

Philly couldn't wait to pack his bags.

He's not a fit here. Not coachable and refuses to play or learn zone.

i agree i dont think he would be a fit here, but i think he can/will be a good fit in san fran.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Signed for 1 year @ $1.35 million, $0 guaranteed. Rest in incentives.

Solid no-risk signing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Would have been nice to have him here, but he would've been the 4th CB behind Aqib, Zo and Kyle. I don't think he wants that. 

Also, King is right, Dashon was a huge loss for them. Both himself and Witner were the best Safety duo in the NFL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He's overrated and won't make up for them losing Goldson. Their defense took a step back IMO .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

At least he is on the field opposed to ras I who seems comfertable on the IR, he would imo be an upgrade from whoever is our 3 or 4 cb. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

Signed for 1 year @ $1.35 million, $0 guaranteed. Rest in incentives.

Solid no-risk signing.

I have to agree. I can't see at 1-3-5 and 0 guaranteed how he would be anything worse than this "camp body" we hear about so often. If he worked-- great. If not-- cut bait. Mind you...I DID NOT think the Pats should have signed him.NOR do i think he would have been agreeable to come here due to lack of snaps. As King mentioned--not a fit.

I just think its a bit of a stretch to trash a zero guaranteed contract for a former all pro who may contribute. You know, recapture a little of that old magic sorta thing. We do it all the time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

So True.....

Pats should have gave him a shot...we won SB"s with Vets

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

I wouldn't have. Been saying it the whole time.  He refused to play zone in Philly and didn't like to tackle.

He doesn't really want a ring. He wanted the biggest contract 3 years ago (like Revis), and even though he was better than Revis 2 years ago in Oakland, his ego has been out of control.

Philly couldn't wait to pack his bags.

He's not a fit here. Not coachable and refuses to play or learn zone.

i agree i dont think he would be a fit here, but i think he can/will be a good fit in san fran.

Disagree.  Telling an offense you're going to play man all the time because one player cant play any zone or doesn't want to, isn't a good thing.

He also left SF to visit NOs and maybe another team, so he was clearly looking for the highest bidder. 

He won't be bad, but it's not some huge, impact signing either.  He's 32 and on his way down.

yea i mean i dont think this is some huge signing for them either, but he is a solid cb and he came at a good price.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Please don't forget that the niners have like 12 picks or something like that this year.  Their D will again be dominant....

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts