Nnamdi Asomugha - (what are Patriots waiting for ? )

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha - (what are Patriots waiting for ? )

Is he asking for too much ?

I know this has been brought up a thousand times....but we need a WR and CB's.....shouldn't this be something obvious? Same with Dangelo Hall. Are they risks? Yes , but the rewards could be worth a shot. Pats would be filling positions of need.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Re: Nnamdi Asomugha - (what are Patriots waiting for ? )

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............. Again!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

It's all about the Benjamins.  If Hall and/or Nnamdi would take $1 mil/yr--they would be signed.  They are waiting it out--which is a dangerous game w/the deep CB pool in the upcoming draft.  Hall comes w/baggage/perceived attitude issues---Nnamdi just comes w/baggage that since he hit Philly he has played like garbage.  Talent-wise I think at this point Hall is still playing at a decent level---it just comes down to $$$ and desire to play on a winning team.  Just a few years ago Hall was fastest guy in NFL. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

I know this has been brought up a thousand times....but we need a WR and CB's.....shouldn't this be something obvious? Same with Dangelo Hall. Are they risks? Yes , but the rewards could be worth a shot. Pats would be filling positions of need.

They are waiting until 2017. Do you really think the Pats would sign a CB that young and talented?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Yep what King said. He's a press cover only. Not versatile or scheme flexible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

btw, I have said my case on Hall. Still a good player but has always been a risk taker who gives up plays but he competes and will make plays too. What I like is that he bring some swagger to the position. Can tackle and get physical with bigger guys, doesnt shy away from competition and forces a lot of fumbles for a CB. After giving it more thought, I wouldnt mind seeing him here looking at our current depth. He is a better option that arrington outside, thats for sure and if we ever get a pass rush, Hall would look ok here I thnk. Just a matter of if he is discipline enough to play in this system. BB let Asante go because he REFUSED to play press coverage ever, and thats really it. Dont know if Hall would do the same at his age but i would welcome him at the likely price tage of 2mill or less.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Dude, this guy doesn't play zone. Not a fit.  We don't need a starting CB who wants 6-8 million per.

Next thing you'll do is ask why we aren't looking for Freeney who wants more than the Osi money.

I don't want frauds in here. Osi went to Atlanta because they overpaid him. BB probably laughed at Freeney's price.  Abraham may be more reasonable, but Asomougha  isn't a fit here because we don't need more money into that position and he refuses to play zone.

relax King....we are usually in agreement.........Nnamdi may not be the guy...Hall possibly.......but these are vital areas of weakness that were shown as weaknesses last year. I"m just wondering why we are sitting on our hands with these areas. Are we relying on the draft?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We're not going to spend on another corner, nor do we need to.  Talib and Dennard are your starters, Arrington the nickel and we'll fill the remainder of the roster with whats left.  Want good "coverage" get some pressure upfront... having a good defensive backfield without getting sacks is why our defense is constantly ranked top three in interceptions but can't get off the field or win the big one.  We need beef...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Tracy Porter is still floating around and might be worth a look for some veteran depth.

I thought he had health issues but it's being reported that he's visiting teams so maybe he's healthy now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who says they need another CB? Talib, Dennard and Dowling are capable. Arrington in the slot is okay, I guess...

They're fine at CB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Who says they need another CB? Talib, Dennard and Dowling are capable. Arrington in the slot is okay, I guess...

They're fine at CB.

Until the injury bug hits.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

we need another CB,maybe a third rounder in this draft

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

CB pool is interesting - two above mentioned players were cut because they were both scheduled to be making $10M+ this year - hard for those players to get their heads around the fact that teams are now only offering them a fraction of that with very little guaranteed. Same goes for the other FA  CBs and safties out there. Grimes played on a 9M+ franchise tag (or didn't as it turned out) last year and I suspect his best offer is around $5M on a one year deal. A bunch of these guys will get more realistic after the draft when the offers dry up even more.

I would certainly like the Pats to add another CB - injury history has not been good for them and there is some talent around, but I doubt they spend more than $2M on another DB and right now the big names all want a lot more.

Same goes for DL, LBs, and OL. Freeney wants 12M over 2 years ... and is going to wait it out. (good luck!) No idea what Abraham wants, but ... Again would love to see the Pats add a DT or DE but in the 1-2M range.

As for WR - there wasn't a big crop out there, and the 'names' are all gone. I hope they bring Edelman back as he is good insurance and dynamic as a PR and is a BB type of guy. There are a few other Jenkins kind of vets available and I expect a number of them will show up before camp, but all of them come with major question marks - hands, speed, head, etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Were waiting for him to stop smoldering after getting burnt so much in PA. No thanks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

They're fine at CB.

Until the injury bug hits.

+1
    I don't think BB factors in the 'Injury bug' thing.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Maybe Bill Belichick is just plain smart....

In this series of pieces, Pro Football Focus is hammering into the value of players. To us it’s a “Performance Based Value” number, telling you what players were worth (by our grading) in 2012. You can read about the work we’ve done to create it here, but in short:

• It’s solely about what a player did on the field in 2012
    • Players are grouped by positions so their play essentially earns them a portion of the positional salary pool
    • It’s all about cap hits (these values are approximate)

Let’s take a look at the league’s most overvalued CBs.

1. Darrelle Revis, New York Jets

2012 Cap Hit: $11.5m
    2012 Performance Based Value: $950k
    Value Differential: -$10.6m

Perhaps it’s not entirely fair to include Revis on this list, as he lasted just 93 snaps into the season and compiled an outstanding +5.9 grade in his limited action before going down with an ACL tear. Nevertheless, a season-ending injury didn’t prevent a cap hit of over $11 million, and regardless of how good Revis has been, the Jets just didn’t get anywhere close to the value that they paid for in 2012.

2. Brent Grimes, Atlanta Falcons

2012 Cap Hit: $10.3m
    2012 Performance Based Value: $40k
    Value Differential: -$10.2m

With a stellar 2011 season in which he received an overall grade of +17.2, Grimes earned the franchise tag and, unfortunately for Atlanta, the massive cap hit that came along with it. It would’ve been difficult to play up to that kind of value at all and only three CBs did so in 2012. So it’s not a surprise that Grimes fell far short of that mark after he went down with an Achilles after playing just 52 snaps.

3. Nnamdi Asomugha, Philadelphia Eagles

2012 Cap Hit: $11.0m
    2012 Performance Based Value: $1.1m
    Value Differential: -$9.9m

Despite a solid year in run defense, Asomugha was doomed by surrendering five touchdowns and allowing more than 66 percent of passes to be completed for a 15.9 yard average. The former Raider consistently failed to live up to his reputation and enormous salary in his second year with the Eagles.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think one more starting calibre CB would be a great addition for depth and in case Dennard takes a step backwards (or ends up in jail), but it's not absolutely critical with Talib signed.  Because it's not absolutely critical, you've got to weigh costs versus benefits particularly carefully. Asomugha sounds to me like an expensive risk because he may not fit our system and did not play all that well last year. I'd be more interested in one of the mid-pack corners or maybe in Grimes if he came with enough of a discount.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In this series of pieces, Pro Football Focus is hammering into the value of players. To us it’s a “Performance Based Value” number, telling you what players were worth (by our grading) in 2012. You can read about the work we’ve done to create it here, but in short:

• Players are grouped by positions so their play essentially earns them a portion of the positional salary pool

Perhaps it’s not entirely fair to include Revis on this list, as he lasted just 93 snaps into the season and compiled an outstanding +5.9 grade in his limited action before going down with an ACL tear. Nevertheless, a season-ending injury didn’t prevent a cap hit of over $11 million, and regardless of how good Revis has been, the Jets just didn’t get anywhere close to the value that they paid for in 2012.

With a stellar 2011 season in which he received an overall grade of +17.2, Grimes earned the franchise tag and, unfortunately for Atlanta, the massive cap hit that came along with it. It would’ve been difficult to play up to that kind of value at all and only three CBs did so in 2012. So it’s not a surprise that Grimes fell far short of that mark after he went down with an Achilles after playing just 52 snaps.

Despite a solid year in run defense, Asomugha was doomed by surrendering five touchdowns and allowing more than 66 percent of passes to be completed for a 15.9 yard average. The former Raider consistently failed to live up to his reputation and enormous salary in his second year with the Eagles.

I don't think BB has a crystal ball, though, to predict injuries.  Revis and Grimes wouldn't be at the top of that list if they both weren't injured early in the season.  (In fact, they both had positive value in the prior seasons when they were healthy according to that article.)

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I don't think BB has a crystal ball, though, to predict injuries.  Revis and Grimes wouldn't be at the top of that list if they both weren't injured early in the season.  (In fact, they both had positive value in the prior seasons when they were healthy according to that article.)

Namde wasn't injured until the finish, and was the point of reference, not Revis or Grimes. I didn't say BB had a crystal ball. I said he is smart, and is the best in the business. It's my opinion. You obviously feel otherwise as you have stated so often.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Curious why there is no reported interest in some of the off the radar CBs like Jenkins. He was benched in Dallas last year, but mostly because they bought high on a FA CB and used their #1 pick on another.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Dude, this guy doesn't play zone. Not a fit.  We don't need a starting CB who wants 6-8 million per.

Next thing you'll do is ask why we aren't looking for Freeney who wants more than the Osi money.

I don't want frauds in here. Osi went to Atlanta because they overpaid him. BB probably laughed at Freeney's price.  Abraham may be more reasonable, but Asomougha  isn't a fit here because we don't need more money into that position and he refuses to play zone.

why can't we play man?  Asomougha, dennard, and talib. with arrington in the slot, that sounds like a potential man coverage CB set. especially with mccourty and adrian wilson at the Safety spots