Nnamdi Asomugha

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Nnamdi Asomugha

In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha : Team friendly deal? Bwahahaha! Yeah right,I think I just saw one of those standing on a Leprechaun's shoulders giving Bigfoot a b***-*** and slapping out the drum solo of In-A-GaDA-Vida on his hair monkey ***! (BTW that was sarcasm,I know it can be so hard to tell sometimes on the internet)
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]

Your bad karma is spreading bro, they are offering him $12 a year... he does that for 2/3 years and he should get around the same again after that contract is up....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Reports were he was looking for $20mil

That $12mil is the most the Jets can offer after a number of releases and some creative restructuring. He said he'd give them a bit of a discount but you have to wonder if SF or Hou comes to him with $15-17mil per year if that will make a big difference.

Where I think the $12mil comes from is that he said he wanted more then Revis's base pay which stands at $11.5mil. Sounds like to me they are selling everything at the pawnshop to get above that number and hoping he bits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Reports were he was looking for $20mil That $12mil is the most the Jets can offer after a number of releases and some creative restructuring. He said he'd give them a bit of a discount but you have to wonder if SF or Hou comes to him with $15-17mil per year if that will make a big difference. Where I think the $12mil comes from is that he said he wanted more then Revis's base pay which stands at $11.5mil. Sounds like to me they are selling everything at the pawnshop to get above that number and hoping he bits.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they could get him at $15 for two years if they really want him.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha : I'm sure they could get him at $15 for two years if they really want him.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

It's not a matter of getting him, it's a matter of how much they can afford. They just signed Holmes to a big contract and were already at the cap before that. They still have to sign the rooks to contracts and fill holes from all the FA's leaving since they don't have the money to pay for all of them. To even get close to that $12mil they offered they will have to do some major restructuring of a lot of contracts and release some players (restructuring doesn't mean a reduction of contract it just means moving salary from one year and guaranteeing it in another. You shot yourself in the foot later for a little extra cap room right now.). That extra $3mil from 12 to 15 is a huge difference when you already did everything to get to the 12. That's not to mention that if SF offers that salary over 4 yrs vs NYJ offer is only 2 years that makes a huge difference too. Realistically Aso is going to have to take a pretty substantial salary hit to go to the Jets and that's completely up to him. If he wants to play with his friend and thinks he is secure with what he'll make he might do it. But, given what Weddle is reported to sign for will his ego let that go?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

[QUOTE]Its so obvious that the Jets do not have the cap room to go for Nnamdi Asomugha. Though that would be a dream tandem they would commit most of their money and completely limit their ability to go for Holmes, Edwards and Cromartie.
    Posted by tbfan12[/QUOTE]
    They got the GOD DAMM cap money, and the will sigh him, U watch 100%... Then will really blow...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha : It's not a matter of getting him, it's a matter of how much they can afford. They just signed Holmes to a big contract and were already at the cap before that. They still have to sign the rooks to contracts and fill holes from all the FA's leaving since they don't have the money to pay for all of them. To even get close to that $12mil they offered they will have to do some major restructuring of a lot of contracts and release some players (restructuring doesn't mean a reduction of contract it just means moving salary from one year and guaranteeing it in another. You shot yourself in the foot later for a little extra cap room right now.). That extra $3mil from 12 to 15 is a huge difference when you already did everything to get to the 12. That's not to mention that if SF offers that salary over 4 yrs vs NYJ offer is only 2 years that makes a huge difference too. Realistically Aso is going to have to take a pretty substantial salary hit to go to the Jets and that's completely up to him. If he wants to play with his friend and thinks he is secure with what he'll make he might do it. But, given what Weddle is reported to sign for will his ego let that go?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I fully understand everything you said... but bottom line if they sign Nnamdi within any means, are you feeling the Jets are hard to beat, period?  I mean I understand this straps them, but they can fill holes with rookies and get away with it probably with receivers shut down, no?  Sorry to drag this out, but obviously this scares me. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha : I fully understand everything you said... but bottom line if they sign Nnamdi within any means, are you feeling the Jets are hard to beat, period?  I mean I understand this straps them, but they can fill holes with rookies and get away with it probably with receivers shut down, no?  Sorry to drag this out, but obviously this scares me. 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is that they will have to release a couple of guys and not sign any of their FA's. They would have to replace them with min salary players

Players that at one point started for them last year they are could lose:

Edwards, Coleman, Ellis Woody, Taylor, Scott (most likely released to clear room)

Then players who made key contributions:

Smith, Folk, Richardson

That's a lot of production in a number of different spots to lose to gain talent at one position. Look at their rookies too. Even if they hit on all their rookies this year they still couldn't fill all that production. They would essentially kill any depth they had and weaken some of their starting positions just to have Aso and Revis which imo makes them weaker not stronger

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha : Written by someone who clearly has no clue about the Jets roster.  Having the two best corners in the NFL makes them weaker?  I guess if they sign another great receiver that makes them even weaker?
    Posted by McCheaters[/QUOTE]

You do understand that football is a team game right? Taking away 6 productive players to add 1 elite player does in fact weaken your team. This isn't like basketball were adding 1 elite talent at the expense of your bench and a couple good but not great starters can improve your team.

But by all means, cut more into your team to add another great WR. Might I suggest cutting Mangold, LT, Leonhard, and a couple of your backups to pay for them. Because that would make your team better too

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

McCheaters is a moron, still doesnt understand that there IS a salary cap.  Going into free agency, the Jets were over 13 million OVER the cap.  Now adding Holmes, they are over 23 MILLION over the cap.  Who will be cut?  how many players will actually end up on this roster 30 with 20 of them UDFA's?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

49er's just released Clements. I hope he goes to the 49er's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha : Yep 23 million over.  You sure are a football genius. 

Hey thanks for the compliment.  But, as of right now there are 8 players that are taking up 77.7 million (Sanchez 17.75, Revis 11.26, Harris 10.2, Holmes 10, Ferguson 9.85, Pace 7.11,  Scott 6.65, and Mangold 5 million).  How will they get Nnamdi (at least 13-16 million per season) will put YOUR team about 91-93 million for 9 players.  You DO know that a full roster is 53 players, right? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

I remember when Nate Clements was signed with the 49ers he was supposed to be this great shutdown corner.... what happened to him? Give me the workhorse DB any day of the week over the overpaid guys.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha : Why would the Jets cut the best center in the NFL? That is just plain stupid.  Here's the thing.  Last year, all of you fools claimed that Ellis was old and not any good.  You claimed that Jason Taylor has nothing left.  You said that Brad Smith was no replacent for Leon.  It goes on and on.  You want to claim that the roster is full of bad draft picks, poor free agent signings and players that are just plain not good.  Then on the next breath, you want to claim that they are all irreplaceable.  Hypocrisy.  Flat out hypocrisy.  

And comparatively your D did take a step back from 2009. In 10' the Jets D was not as good in the pass rush or run defense as in 09' in large part because Ellis was not as dominant as in 09' and the replacement players were not as good as those they replaced. Now you take those players who were productive but not as reliable as the 09' squad and replace them with even lesser players. Either way you look at it you are taking steps backwards every year. And now you claim Ellis, Taylor, and Smith stepped right in but you are about to lose all 3. Don't you understand that you are chipping away at your players taking steps backwards each year in certain positions to upgrade with 1 or 2 elite players upfront. Eventually you are going to end up with no bench, half your starters being elite, and the other half as average. Then it only takes one injury to a elite player and where's your depth?

Who will step in if Holmes, Revis, or Harris get injuried? (Cotchery? Mauga? Wilson?)

On the Pats if Mayo gets injured you have Guyton, if McCourty gets injured you have Ras and Arrington (yes he performed fined as a #2 last year), if Welker gets injured we you might have a case there but we still have Hernandez and Tate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The Jets released Gholston, Taylor, Woody and Jenkins.  A lot of dead weight that saved over $20mil in salaries against the cap.  You can also spread certain monies over a 5 year span.  This is what the Jets did with Holmes leaving them room for Aso.  I don't like it but there it is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nnamdi Asomugha : yaaaaaaaawn.  Are you still talking abou this? 

So, what you are saying, is you got nothing?  Gotchya.
    By the way, that was Parcells you moron!
    There is an old saying I like to give to people like you, I will paraphrase.  "Keep quiet and look like the fool, or open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FIJISOXFAN. Show FIJISOXFAN's posts

I read/heard they could spread the bonuses and money around for Aso over the next couple of years.  The problem is the Jets have a short window and then are truely done!  This will also kill any chance they get a decent 2nd reciever including Moss because even 2 mil to a receiver might be too much to pay with all of the other holes they have to plug.  The best example are the 2002 Raiders where they went from a Superbowl runner-up to a terrible team within about 2 years.  The Jets will be in last place by 2013 if they pull this deal off because cap room will force them to rely on scraps and rookies to replace guys like Scott and their aging offensive line. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Who knows maybe the Jets can win the off-season again.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

If by worked fine for the Jets you mean then had success for two years and didn't win anything then ok, sure.

Eventually teams need to rebuild after having such a long run of success and winning multiple superbowls. It happened to the 49ers, the Cowboys, etc.

But I wouldn't expect a Jets fan to know anything about success over a long period of time :/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from buttgrundle. Show buttgrundle's posts

Even if it's talking about Nnamdi going to the Jets, it's better than talking lawyers and lockout.

I wouldn't get too bent outta shape even if they sign him.  They're already a helluva team, but if anyone would have a blueprint to beat them, it'd be the Pats.

Two great outside corners?  Tons of underneath routes, check downs, and extra usage of versitale TE's.  QB accuracy and patience.  All of those are staples of the Pats passing offense.  On top of that, it looks through their FA signings and draft, the Pats are planning on using a stable of 800 running backs.  Last I checked, Nnamdi and Revis aren't stoning folks behind the LOS.

The media will tell me I should be worried.  I'm not.  Maybe I'm nuts.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

[QUOTE]If by worked fine for the Jets you mean then had success for two years and didn't win anything then ok, sure. Eventually teams need to rebuild after having such a long run of success and winning multiple superbowls. It happened to the 49ers, the Cowboys, etc. But I wouldn't expect a Jets fan to know anything about success over a long period of time :/
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

It took 80+ posts for someone to mention this. The Patriots are NOT SUPPOSED to be in Super Bowl contention right now. They are defying the circle of life in the NFL. 

2001 - SB Champs
    2002 - missed playoffs
    2003 - SB Champs
    2004 - SB Champs
    2005 - Lost in Div Round
    2006 - Lost in AFC Title Game
    2007 - 16-0 Lost in SB
    2008 - 11-5 without qb and missed playoffs due to jets losing to phins (greatest jets victory over the pats)
    2009 - lost in wildcard
    2010 - 14-2 lost in Div Round

We had a Dynasty. Retooled and went for a perfect season run along with an AFC title game loss (the thing the jets are celebrating the last 2 years). We drafted young guns like Mayo, Meriweather, McCourty, Spikes, Hernandez, Gronk, Chung, etc and are preparing for another run at multiple titles.

We have about 20 mil in cap space. Moves are comming and our young guys will improve.

let the jets have their offseason victory and let them celebrate beating us last year. hoo ray u lost 6 days later jets fans.

The Patriots are building another Super Bowl Contending Team when in the normal life of an NFL team, we are not supposed to be anywhere near this for 10 years. But you know what, BB planned and traded and stocked up on draft picks and here we are again, another year of Tom Brady (Best QB in the league) and Bill Belichick (Best Coach in sports).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Ok.. now as some of the dust settles and the Texans picked Jonnathan Jospeh, it looks as if the Jets are front runners for Nnnamdi.

Did the Patriots do enought to counter the Jets possible singing of Nnamdi?  I believe so, but you guys also know I think he's a huge addition to the Jets.