Nnamdi Asomugha

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rf24fox. Show rf24fox's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

Unless Al Davis gets bailed out by the government, I don't see how the Oakland Raiders could put the franchise tag on Asomugha. Oakland has the highest payroll in the league at $152,000,000 (compared to the Pats 92 mill-3 lowest in the league). Plus Oakland will have a top 10 selection in the draft, and you know they'll overpay on some rookie who'll eventually become a bust.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

Cassel for Asomugha seems like a no brainer to me, both franchise their players and do a simple trade.

Question is, is there still bad blood between Al "The Hotel" Davis and BB? Remember Al accused the Pats of tampering with Moss then couldn't come up with proof to back it up, so they lost face over it.

Cassel is more fundamentally sound than Russell. He would bring the Raiders closer to a winning record and do far more than Asomugha could ever do.

But then again, Al Davis was never known for his common sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

I would love to see the Patriots pick up a RAIDER.hype, thats all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

Ashmougha is better than Cromartie or Jammer or pretty much anyone SD has in their secondary. Cromartie is the hype. How good can he be when the Broncos put 25+ points on the board ? The stats bring it out. Ashmougha is the best player on the Raiders. That said, I really don't see him playing for the Pats in 09.

Before you think about acquiring Ashmougha please remember that he'll get 9-10 per yr. and Wilfork and Mankins will want their money too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

He'll get more than 9 or 10.

I am thinking 11.

Samuel got $9.5 . . if Asomugha wants to he can cash in for MORE than that. Heis a legit shutdown corner, while Asante is a great zone corner, who only plays on the right side of the offense.

Asomugha should top Samuel, unless of course he takes less to go somewhere else. ;-)

The Pats offered Asante Seven and a half per season.

If Nmadi could work with that conract he could be a Patriot. Then you shift your draft strategy to picking up pass rushers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

What's the deal with franchising a player a second time? I thought they couldn't or is it the amount of money they would have to pay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

No deal. You can franchise a player for the rest of his career.

The Pats couldn't franchise Samuel the second year because he and his agent made it a clause in the first franchise contract in 2007.

In a franchise situation, the player has zero leverage aside from sitting out. I like what the tag measn to a fan, but all in all it seems pretty unfair to players.

With Asomugha, the popular notion is that he will bristle if tagged. He wants to win AND land a contract that represents long term stability as opposed to playing year to year.

If he threatens to sit the raiders could dangle him. That means a team could potentially attempt to trade for him if he says he will sit out rather than suit up for Oakland.

That is of course, unless the Raiders use the "exclusive franchise tag" which means other teams cannot try to claim him.

Even if they did not, I doubt many teams will part with two first rounders to get any player, unless that team sincerely thinks he is the missing link between them and a superbowl. Jared Allen was a unique situationand not rall y smart, IMO, on Minnesota's part. They gave up tow first rounders, and will have trouble improving.

What is interesting is his language about the Pats. It sounds as if he like sMoss's move here and wouldn't mind following suit.

A straight franchise trade between NE and OAK would be interesting and benficial for both sides, but given the Raiders obligations to Jamarcus Russell (~$25million) I don't see that as a realistic option.

The Raiders would trade him, but the Pats wouldn't give up two first rounders. I think the Pats might yeild one first rounder if the deal involved a VERY cap friendly sign and trade.

But on its face, you would be hard pressed to find precedent for Ne a.) trading away one first round selection, never mind two, and b.) opening the checkbook to the tune of $11 million per for any defensive back.

There does exist the REMOTE possibility that Oakland doesn't franchise Asomugha because in doing so you are obigated against the cap even if the player sits out. But that is remote at best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

If they slap the tag on a player a second time they have to pay him the higher of the franchise number or 120% of his previous year's salary. So unless the tag number goes up by 20% the team has to pay more than the going rate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

I forgot about that. You are correct bub.

That means Asomugha would receive ~$11.7 million on his next franchise tender. And the following season it would be a $14 million tender.

That certainly will give the Raiders something to think about if they don't think a long term deal is possible.

What is the point of renting a player for more than he is worth on a year by year basis if you don't expect to be competing??

Then again they prolly tag him anyway to ensure they get something back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

The same logic which many here use to claim NE should tag Cassel. If the Raiders had needed a QB there could have been a sweet deal. And we all know how senile Al is getting. BB could possibly talk him down in the compensation department, especially if Asomugah declares he will sit out the season. He talks great about Moss, and my guess is he'd love to be his teammate again. The question is, how willing is he to forgo the "top" dollar to do it? It would be a great addition, though it doesn't look likely to happen. But I recall thinking (and I wasn't the only one here) that there was no way AD would sign here, yet he did. We shall have to wait and see.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

Bub,

We can hope. If he is comfortable signing a three-five year offer for the seven million per that Asante was offered, with the obvious advantage of playing DEEP in the postseason every year then it could work.

He would answer a LOT of problem this defense has. Man to man, bump and run, moving the top CB to the top WR, and freeing up a safety. Those are all issues we had even with Asante.

Wow. A great corner makes everything easier.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

[Quote]Bub,

We can hope. If he is comfortable signing a three-five year offer for the seven million per that Asante was offered, with the obvious advantage of playing DEEP in the postseason every year then it could work.

He would answer a LOT of problem this defense has. Man to man, bump and run, moving the top CB to the top WR, and freeing up a safety. Those are all issues we had even with Asante.

Wow. A great corner makes everything easier.[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

[Quote]Bub,

Wow. A great corner makes everything easier.[/Quote

ZB and Bub. I could be wrong ( I sometimes am when it comes to other team's players) but I think the Ravens have Suggs, Lewis, and Dawon Landry as FAs. I could live with the Pats getting one of those. I think Ashmugha is out of the Pats price range. And BB tends to value LBs more than DBs (I like Suggs as a pass rushing OLB). Through Free Agency and the 09 draft the Pats have to acquire replacements for the aging vets. Like most I believe the pass rush complements the secodary and vice versa. I just believe that Belichick would improve the pass rush before improving the secondary.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

[Quote]
    Ashmougha is better than Cromartie or Jammer or pretty much anyone SD has in their secondary. Cromartie is the hype. How good can he be when the Broncos put 25+ points on the board ? The stats bring it out. Ashmougha is the best player on the Raiders. That said, I really don't see him playing for the Pats in 09.

Before you think about acquiring Ashmougha please remember that he'll get 9-10 per yr. and Wilfork and Mankins will want their money too./Quote]

JHR you're full of it on this one. Cromartie & Jammer are both better than this guy. Ive watched Asmo closely since he came in the league & I find that this thread is downright humerous. Shoot make him an all pro ricky. LOL

LOOK: 2 tackles a game/ 2 ints per season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AsomNn20.htm

ricky12684 is his agent me thinks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

Jbolt,

I'll give you pass on this one because you are a Chargers fan.

Scouts inc rates Asomugha as the BEST CB in all of football. Period. And they are correct.

The guy has two interceptions because nobody throws the ball in his direction. Why would they . . he is the one good player on an awful Oakland defense, and that is what usually happens when you defense relies on one player. People move the ball away from them.

In fact, one NFL scout stated that in 2007 he was thrown at less than ANY corner in over a decade.

Through 2001 to 2004 Champ Bailey never had more than 3 INTs, and it didn't stop him from getting the largest CB contract in NFL history, which will likely be topped by Asomugha if he reaches FA.

Sorry, but he is better than anyone on SD, and that isn't even a knock against SD's CBs, because there really isn't another pure shutdown corner in the NFL like this kid.

I don't think he will even be in NE, but that is because he will either be franchised or offered more money than most competitive teams can afford.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

Don't forget how he owned Reggie Wayne last season. That was the performance that made me stand up and notice.

Wayne had one catch against Asomugha and it was a filthy one handed grab against glove like coverage.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEpatriots4ever. Show NEpatriots4ever's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

[Quote]

Seems like BB has a "Man Crush" on Asomugha. When discussing the Raiders talents to the Globe, he was raving about him. Usually, when BB does this, it is to send a message that they intend to go after him. I remember him doing the same thing with Adalius Thomas prior to getting him in free agency.

That's pure "salesmanship"! Giving someone the "warm & fuzzy's" prior to offering them a contract.

I have a good feeling about the Pats getting him.

[/Quote]

he also has that "Man Crush" on Ed Reed... i think he's a FA too... it would be a dream come true to get one, let alone two...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

Ed Reed is not a FA.

Asomgha is.

Other palyers BB raved about.

Dillon, Harrison, Thomas.

Other players he raves about Chad Johnson.

Two things standing between NE and Asomugha:

possibly the Raiders Franchise tag, possibly a few million dollars.

I can't help but feel the drubbing was part of a show for Asimugha to let him know what he is missing in Oakland.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

the guy really wants out of oakland,and he fired his agent,and got another.plus on defense we are ranked 30th on third downs,and 31st in the redzone.wilhite,and wheatly will take a few years to come to there own.we need a player,or players like Asomugha next season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Nnamdi Asomugha

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/New+England/

this would be nice.