Nnamdi over Talib? as our #1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Nnamdi over Talib? as our #1

In response to wozzy's comment:

Big physical corners are the way to go now, the only touching a corner can do is in the first 5 yards and Nnamdi, while big, has fallen off in the athleticism dept.

Talib is younger and stronger, probably cheaper... sign him and we'll be set at both corner positions with Dennard, assuming he doesn't go to the big house for too long.   The new transition tag might be the way to go if Talib balks at a reasonable contract?

REASONABLE THOUGHTS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

what do you think?

I'd take Talib in a heartbeat...despite his off field issues. Nnamdi has shown that he's vastly overrated. Asante Samuel was, and is, a better CB than Asomugha. As for injuries, Talib pulled a hamstring on a non-contact play. Heck...Darrelle Revis suffered a knee injury. Is he "injury prone"? Or, are injuries just an unfortunate part of the game? If you look up the term "injury prone" in the dictionary, and you'll find photos of Ras-I Dowling, and Patrick Chung.     

As I've stated in previous posts, with all the injuries that Patriot players have suffered over the past few years, one has to wonder about the quality of the teams' conditioning program for it's players, and the quality of the Pats' medical staff. An upgrade appears to be needed in these areas.

" one has to wonder about the quality of the teams' conditioning program for it's players, and the quality of the Pats' medical staff. An upgrade appears to be needed in these areas

ive thought that aloud here as well, and the same about the red sox org.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

we need someone

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

what do you think?

NO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm really curious to see how this Talib thing will play out. I really would be scared to give this guy a huge contract...not with his off field stuff and the way he got hurt on us last year..no way. It's funny but, we haven't had a good corner in so long that just having one play good is such a big deal to us...Talib played good, solid football in the few games he was actually on the field...he was by no means great. It sounds like he wants great money - I'd happily let another team fall into that trap. He was matched up on Brain Hartline late in the year...it looked like Hartline had no trouble catching passes on him, now maybe that was because Hartline is a very good player (and I think that may be the case), but to warrant a huge deal you have to be able to shut down very good players. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'm really curious to see how this Talib thing will play out. I really would be scared to give this guy a huge contract...not with his off field stuff and the way he got hurt on us last year..no way. It's funny but, we haven't had a good corner in so long that just having one play good is such a big deal to us...Talib played good, solid football in the few games he was actually on the field...he was by no means great. It sounds like he wants great money - I'd happily let another team fall into that trap. He was matched up on Brain Hartline late in the year...it looked like Hartline had no trouble catching passes on him, now maybe that was because Hartline is a very good player (and I think that may be the case), but to warrant a huge deal you have to be able to shut down very good players. 

Ya, it is a tricky situation. I personally see three possible scenarios:

1) Pats use the transitional tag on him.

2) He takes a short term, team friendly "prove it" deal (most unlikely IMO).

3) They let him walk and replace him through the draft/FA

He was good for us (much better than what we have had), but his injuries and off-field problems raise the same concerns for me as they do for you. I just can't see the Pats giving a long term deal to a guy who was on the sidelines when we needed him the most, unless it is for well below market value.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Ya, it is a tricky situation. I personally see three possible scenarios:

1) Pats use the transitional tag on him.

2) He takes a short term, team friendly "prove it" deal (most unlikely IMO).

3) They let him walk and replace him through the draft/FA

He was good for us (much better than what we have had), but his injuries and off-field problems raise the same concerns for me as they do for you. I just can't see the Pats giving a long term deal to a guy who was on the sidelines when we needed him the most, unless it is for well below market value.

The transitional tag is an interesting option because at least it will save us a couple of million and give us the right of first refusal. I just don't understand why we wouldn't recieve any compensation if we didn't match another team's contract offer and he leaves.