No 100-yard rushers vs. Pats this season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

No 100-yard rushers vs. Pats this season

Just read that in the Monique Walker story, "Pats learn to adjust."

Pretty incredible through 7 games for such a young group. I realize that, at times, our D overcompensates to stop the run to the detriment of pass protection; still, that's an achievement usually associated with the Ravens, Steelers, Vikings and (recently) the Jets.

Really liking the development of Brace, Deaderick, Prior et al., alongside the steady influence of Fork. Give Spikes and Mayo another year to work together and look out.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: No 100-yard rushers vs. Pats this season

I noted that myself after the game and breaking down what they could do against Cleveland. 

I think Minny was a good measuring stick. They gave up 125, but 33 of that came on a garbage time scamper by T-Jack. 

Otherwise they gave up 92 at 3.7 yp to an offense that averages 135 and 4.7. They set out to take Moss out of the game and keep Peterson from taking over. Yeah, Harvin had himself a day against ILBs, and they gave up some underneath stuff, but they didn't lose at the LOS and they didn't lose deep either. Hence, Minny was forced to settle for short gains and had to actually "earn" their yardage. A very Belichickian scheme. 

The Pats have very quietly shut down or otherwise limited some very dangerous runners and running teams. They aren't the Steeler's run "D" yet, but all seven of their opponents are one of the top fifteen rushing teams. That is really amazing that NE is top ten in most rush "D" categories after that. 

Moreover, it bodes well for when they face teams that are slightly more one dimensional, and don't have a forceful rushing attack. NE can leave some guys in the backfield and let their front seven take care of things.  A softer schedule for running in the second half (Indy, GB, Det, Chi, all bottom third) and a better performance (hopefully) against the Jets, should show improvement to that statistical line. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Cannot speak highly enough of the Gerard Warren signing. Fork isn't allowed to go to DE if he isn't able to handle NT in the 3-4.

Might be BB's best FA signing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good info, I did not know this.  However, I would be scared to know how many passing yards they have given up through 7 games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Passing yards and 3rd down conversions are high (this was improved greatly, actually, against Minny), but the red zone TD passes allowed, pressures and sack rate are all improved upon.

This year, BB can play zone more. Last year, he tried it and it blew up bad in New Orleans.

When they used it, they allowed TDs. Now, they don't.   Huge improvement.

I think that has made a huge difference in the results we are seeing, next to the improved health and quality on the D Line.

Let's be honest:

A one legged Jarvis Green or a dinged up Ty Warren is not as good as what we have now. Nor was a new Ninkovich or a slacking Adalius Thomas on the edge.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: No 100-yard rushers vs. Pats this season:
    [QUOTE]Cannot speak highly enough of the Gerard Warren signing. Fork isn't allowed to go to DE if he isn't able to handle NT in the 3-4. Might be BB's best FA signing.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    '
    Gerard Warren is extremely underrated right now

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]Good info, I did not know this.  However, I would be scared to know how many passing yards they have given up through 7 games.
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]

If the successful strategy is one that allows a lot of passing yards but limits scoring, who cares?  The only important statistic is 6-1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

OTOH, I think the Pats do need to keep working at their pass defense. They have a very high rating against (93.4 good for 27th). 

If there is an "ill omen" in the future of this thus far impressive and gutsy young team, it is how this secondary matches up against teams that do not make mistakes and can move the ball through the air efficiently. 

My guess is that (against Indy, for instance) they either try to beat them up at the line and disrupt the flow, or drop seven and make them earn their yardage. I hope they are prepared because a team like that can take some of NE's better players off the field with positional groupings, and force some of their weaker depth (CB) onto the field. 

Playing situational football (like Meri's game sealing INT against Buffalo, or that last drive tackle by Sergio Brown against SD, MCourty's strip against Minny, or the 5th quarter stand against Baltimore -- the last being almost a turning point for this defense in my eyes) is good. 

It is even better when you defend a little tighter between the 20's.

At the halfway point, that is what you can look to improve. Passing on both sides. 

If there is a player that you need more from, it is Butler. Rehabbing him to where he was last season -- offering respectable coverage -- would be enormous. 

Coach em up!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

All true statements made about the pass D.

But if we have a deficiency as the weather gets colder and nastier, I would prefer it to be on the pass D rather than the run D. In the playoff game versus the Ravens last year, Flacco completed 4 passes for (I think) 10 yards. Of course, that's all he had to complete because of Pats turnovers and the inability to stop the run.

If the Pats are somehow able to secure the #1 seed come playoff time, good luck trying to throw your way past Belichick in December/January.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 100-yard rushers vs. Pats this season : ' Gerard Warren is extremely underrated right now
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Agree with Rusty and Nick on the Warren signing. Not many guys could have come in with the size/bulk and versatility that Warren has provided. I like Mike Wright's motor, too; I just wish he could add 15 pounds (and keep the athleticism) so he could hold the edge better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Run D has indeed been solid all year and particularly good of late.  Totally agree with respect to improvement being needed in pass D. Think that will come along as well as the younger players gain more experience in BB's system.

Sections
Shortcuts