No cap in 2010?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

No cap in 2010?

Talk to me boyz...is it true and if so what will the ramifications be for free agent signings?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: No cap in 2010?

Looks like it will happen.

I don't think there will be a FA feedign frenzy, because at some point the CBA will be rejoined, and no one wants to be the mid-90's Cowboys, who were basically crippled by their contract overhead once the cap hit.

As far as Pats' FA's. Teams will have two franchise tags to employ to buy a year of flexibility. And there will be some players to grab on the market, as many teams will be hesitant to ink long term deals when the future is very cloudy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I don't think any team will go hog wild, but, you could see some names changing around for some BIG $$$$.  Players will take it while they can and some desperate franchises may be willing to throw some quan around!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In a league that is home to the likes of Daniel Snyder, anything is possible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

I wouldn't be surprised to see most teams that offer the large contracts to have the first year (2010) heavily loaded in salary, with modest cap friendly numbers in the subsequent years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

ZB and PrairieMIke are both right. Expect the Raiders to franchise Seymour and the Cowpokes to franchise Ware. 2011 could be interesting because I believe the owners and the Commish want to alter the current rookie pay scale. According to them rookies are making far too much money as "unproven players".  Will the vets (who are usually player reps for the NFLPA) go for it is another matter entirely. The NFL has a huge TV contract and is a marketing machine; no one wants to be the guy that kills the goose that lays the golden eggs. I expect there will be the usual rumblings about revenue sharing, franchise tag, transition tag etc...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Hmmm...this no cap thing could get very interesting.

If you had your choice to bring in another marquee player to NE next year (in a position where NE has need), who would it be? I'm trying to think of someone that would command big bucks but honestly, no one comes to mind at the moment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: No cap in 2010?:
    Hmmm...this no cap thing could get very interesting. If you had your choice to bring in another marquee player to NE next year (in a position where NE has need), who would it be? I'm trying to think of someone that would command big bucks but honestly, no one comes to mind at the moment.
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

Demarcus Ware. But he will be franched by then.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

You and I agree again ZB. I think if Belichick gets Ware he comes awfully close to being LT (the LB) revisited, but there is no way the Cowboys don't franchise him. I might be wise to bring up all the players the Pats have on the O Line that have contracts that expire in 2010 or 2011. Sorry about the double negative....The Cowpokes will franchise Ware. Arguably the best OLB in the NFL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Reiss posted about this a lot.  I'll try to remember what he wrote without bastardizing it excessively.

1. There is more to this than just the CAP.

2. Mankins and Gostkowski will not be unrestricted free agents.  They will need another year under their belts.

3. Teams can basically have 2 franchise players, not the limit of one currently.

4. Here is the kicker.  The top so many teams (don't remember the number) CANNOT sign free agents until they lose one of their own free agents.  This is where it benefits the Pats to have a lot of players in their final year this season.  We will be one of the top teams, thus will not be able to sign any free agents from other teams until one of our players signs elsewhere.  It's a one for one deal.  So the teams who are most likely to land the big named free agents for mega deals are not the top teams.  Unless of course, one of those FA's is willing to wait for a slot to open on a better team.

Sections
Shortcuts