no hometown discount!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

no hometown discount!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6784265/new-york-jets-free-agent-antonio-cromartie-not-giving-discounts

apparently cromartie doesn't want to give the jets a discount, well i guess then the jets will be losing him then due to their cap situation!

New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie, perhaps only days away from becoming an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career, sounded Tuesday like he's eager for a bidding war.

Cromartie said he doesn't believe in "hometown discounts," and that he won't re-sign with the Jets during their exclusive negotiating period. He made it clear that he intends to hit the open market.

"I'm not giving anybody a hometown discount," Cromartie said during an interview with Sirius XM Radio. "I'm definitely going to see what the organization says and also let them know I want to go out and test the market and see where my value is."

Under the reported terms of the proposed collective bargaining agreement, which could be ratified by players and owners by Thursday, teams will have a three-day window to re-sign their own free agents. That will be a critical time for the Jets, who have a number of high-profile free agents in addition to Cromartie -- namely wide receivers Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith.

Cromartie said he has researched potential suitors, mentioning the Houston Texans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, Dallas Cowboys and Oakland Raiders as teams that will be looking for a No. 1 cornerback.

There has been endless speculation on how the Jets will prioritize their free agents. Cromartie said he believes he should be the team's No. 1 or No. 2 priority, mentioning Holmes as the other.

Interestingly, Cromartie believes Holmes should be ahead of Edwards in the team's pecking order, claiming Holmes is a better fit in the system and a better match with quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Cromartie said he "would love the opportunity" to remain with the Jets, but he didn't sound too sentimental. Of course, it could be posturing. He said he'd like to sign no later than three days into the free agency period. After the Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha, the consensus No. 1 corner on the market, Cromartie figures to be one of the most coveted players at the position.

The Jets traded a second-round pick last year for Cromartie, who fell out of favor with the San Diego Chargers. For the most part, he played well last season, tying for the team lead with three interceptions. But he also led the team in penalties and allowed a team-high seven touchdown passes.

If the Jets lose Cromartie, they could hand the job to Kyle Wilson, last year's No. 1 pick, or sign a proven veteran.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: no hometown discount!

I have no issue with anything he said. As fans we don't realize that it is a business now a days and there is no loyalty to the laundry. I always find it comical when both sides try to play the loyalty card as it doesn't exist with either side anymore, it's just a ploy to make the average fan take their side in a negotiation and put pressure on the other side. Those who do take discounts are the exception today and an increasingly rare one at that. Alas I'm afraid the times of the Bruschi's, Faulk's, Wakefield's among others are coming to an end. That's why I don't get upset when a player leaves for more money. What I do get upset about is when they try to gain leverage in a negotiation but getting the fans on their side and making it seem like they were loyal to the fans but the team was taking a different route. You can sell me cube steak just don't call it a T-Bone

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In Response to Re: no hometown discount!:
    I have no issue with anything he said. As fans we don't realize that it is a business now a days and there is no loyalty to the laundry. I always find it comical when both sides try to play the loyalty card as it doesn't exist with either side anymore, it's just a ploy to make the average fan take their side in a negotiation and put pressure on the other side. Those who do take discounts are the exception today and an increasingly rare one at that. Alas I'm afraid the times of the Bruschi's, Faulk's, Wakefield's among others are coming to an end. That's why I don't get upset when a player leaves for more money. What I do get upset about is when they try to gain leverage in a negotiation but getting the fans on their side and making it seem like they were loyal to the fans but the team was taking a different route. You can sell me cube steak just don't call it a T-Bone
    Posted by PatsEng

Yes, but didn't the jets loan or give him over $500,000 to pay his back child support to keep him out of jail.  Either way, a descent human being would would try to recipricate a little bit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: no hometown discount! :   Yes, but didn't the jets loan or give him over $500,000 to pay his back child support to keep him out of jail.  Either way, a descent human being would would try to recipricate a little bit.
    Posted by jerh5

They forwarded part of his signing bonus a bit early. It's money he already had they just gave it to him a bit earlier. I guess in turn if they resign him they can withhold 500k for the amount of time he was forwarded his bonus or I'm sure if he makes out big he'd give them 500k back with interest and a nice note?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

He has like 8 kids...he needs the cash....I mean the Jets had to pay his child support...He's a good corner but can the Jets have two top 10 paid CB's and work under the new cap? I think the jets will let him go...keeping Holmes is their priority. Here's a cool new site
    http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chung25. Show chung25's posts

any idea on jets cap space? and also pats cap space?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

any idea on jets cap space? and also pats cap space?
    Posted by chung25

The exact way the cap wil be calculated hasn't been released yet but the Jets have about 120mil committed including franchising Harris, the Pats around 113mil with Mankins franchised.

I don't think anyone really goes for a hometown discount.  It's no different than you or I, we make take a little less money for a job we liked but half a much, or a million less, not many people would do that.  I wouldn't.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

jets are screwed when the lock out ends.

so they david harris who they have to keep, but now they have to find a way to keep

cromartie
    edwards
    holmes
    b. smith
    ellis

with zero cap space.

meanwhile the Pats have 7 mil in space with no major FAs after franchising mankins

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

King - the tag is counted as part of the cap once a contract is handed to the agent (the tag is an instant contract) unless the tag is removed. The reason is simple. In order to sign a player you need to have the cap space, once a contract is in hand the player doesn't need to sign right away. If say the Pats have that pending contract with Mankins out to his agent and then sign a bunch of players to bring then to 4mil under the cap and Mankins suddenly signs the contract they would be 6mil over the cap which is against the bi-laws. Otherwise teams could send out a ton of contracts (not offers but contracts) go over the cap since they have a bunch of pending contracts coming back in and then only be forced to cut players only after they are already over the cap. A pending offer doesn't count against the cap but a pending contract does until that contract is either signed or torn up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Could not resist.  Below is a link to the Green Gang's take on Cromartie.  It's good for laughs.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=66618

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

The Jets fans are the only ones who don't see that they are in trouble. It's hilarious to see them say "it's no big deal, they'll just restructure". Camp opens, possibly early next week with a feverish FA period, so don't expect to just easily "restructure" deals. Do we know if the franchise is counted into the payroll yet? Mankins hasn't signed it. I don't think any player has. I wasn't sure if that number was already built in to the projected payrolls, currently. The Jets are over, I believe, without Harris's 10 million.   It's not on the books until it's signed, I believe. They'll lose Holmes on top of Cromartie, and they MAY lose Edwards, depending upon his desire to get top dollar and move on. Woody, J. Taylor, Jenkins, maybe Bryan Thomas, maybe Ellis (unlikely), maybe LT (unlikely), are all either done or possibly leaving. Legendary 2010 FA signing Brodney Pool, too. lol Look at the names and who started in 2010 and then compare it with who is on their depth chart.  Almost 50% of their starters on both sides of the ball will be replaced. Revis, Pouha, Ellis, DeVito, Pace (possible cut potnetial), maybe Bryan Thomas, Harris, Scott, Leonhard, the entire O Line minus Woody, etc, are the only ones returning as starters. They'll need to count on a slew of 2nd year or rookie players to round out their 53 man roster.  Wayne Hunter and Kyle Wilson for sure project to be new starters in Week 1.  Cotchery is another at WR.   I bet they sign Moss.  Then again, Moss may get a lot of bids by other desperate teams. With the Pats, you have to think Kazcur is on the bubble, Wilhite, and a handful of Safeties that make the bigger dollars, like maybe Sanders. I think they should try to move Meriweather or Sanders if they can, assuming Mankins signs his 10 million tag.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Can't believe I'm sticking up for the jets but don't count them out yet.

Rex-bag-o-donuts comes off like a buffoon but its getting more and more apparent that he also knows how to coach, how to motivate a team full of malcontents and how to neutralize a potent offense through game planning.

Notice they held the Pack to 9 points, the Ravens to 10,  the Steelers to  17 (twice) and the Pats to 45. (Go figure).  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Hey you can't blame the guy, I mean when you add 3 or 4 kids to your "family" every year you have to be able to provide.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree MVP I think they should pay there star rookies a full year before their contracts are up and I think they will for Mayo, Vollmer, and McCourty but only because they value those positions a lot higher then they value G.

I think that's one thing we are all forgetting. They don't value G as much as other teams do which might be one reason they don't want to lock Mankins up long term to a massive contract. I think they see G as a position they can fill with a solid low cost player if they really needed to so they draw a line with Mankins and say we'll give you this deal take it or leave it. Is it fair no, but you do have to take into account the value of the position.

ILB's, CB's, and T's are much higher in value to the Pats. Proof is in where they pick/pay FA's at the position. With the exception of Mankins almost all their G's come in the late rounds, are UDFA's, or are other teams cast offs with high upsides. There T's are almost exclusive 3rd or higher round picks, there 2 starting ILB are 2nd or higher rounds, and their secondary are full of players picked in the early 2nd to 1st. It's clear they don't value G as much as the other positions. They might be looking long term and saying well next year we have to pay Mayo so we have to draw the line with Mankins to make sure we have the funds to resign Mayo.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Exactly. .This is the first time they EVER have valued a Guard, probably since John Hannah. This is why it's so confusing that Mankins was insulted by getting an 800% raise. NE NEVER pays for Guards. Ever.  They pay for Centers and Tackles, and even then they come under the norm for what most teams do. They could probably upgrade for Koppen, but they may not see it being worth it. Same with Light from years ago. They could have gone in FA for a Center or Tackle and paid through the nose.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

NE doesnt pay for guards!?  THey offered to make Mankins the 3rd highest paid guard in the league. NE pays for value regardless of position. If you mean to say they do not overpay for guards then you should amend it to say they do not overpay for any position or player... at least in terms of their assemssment of value. ITs pretty simple and it is not predicated on assuming some arbitrary rules about a position. That said there are value differences between positions. No one is going to confuse a very strong G with a very strong QB...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

They screwed up, period. They shouldnt let their home grown stand outs get to the end of their rookie deals, period. They should have resigned him two years ago when it was clear he was legit. Do you think had he just signed his tender last year and not said a word he gets that 5 year 8 mill per year deal? Or do you think they make him play on the one year bull sh*t contract because its good for their business? Do you think Mayo should play out his entire rookie contract even though he has out played it and is now being under paid? What about Vollmer? McCourty? Are you ok with risking them? Ticking them off because they watched lesser player get big contracts while they got paid like street free agents even though they played at all star level? Im just saying when we draft a guy like Mankins, who is literally everything we want in a player and fits the mold perfectly why would we even let it get this far? He should be a Patriot for life because he fits the mold and we shouldnt even be having this conversation.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I don't know Killa, your using the term rookie contract like thier is a number associated with them.  Mankins was a 1st rounder during the time when first rounders were getting bloated contracts.  He was one of the highest paid guys on the team when got here, so was Mayo- still is, or Maroney.  It's really not the same thing as Brady or Vollmer who got league minimum type salaries.  His salary wasn't huge compared to salaries 5 years later but that's just the NFL.  Brady wasn't making much by the end of his big contract compared to other QB's, but contracts keep going up. 

I don't have a problem with anything Mankins has done.  He has a number he wants, and the Pats have a number they will pay.  Apparently it's not the same number.  I'd like him to stay, but I think he wants to go. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts