No longer encouraged, just humbled

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

No longer encouraged, just humbled

The colts looked awful last night, and I don't know how much better they can get.  Last week I said I was encouraged given the bevy of missing starters and the comeback. 

Last night, none of that existed.  Ultimately, imo, the blame for a loss last night has to rest with Bill Polian.  The issues that the colts had last night are almost entirely offensive line related.  The colts can't run the ball because there is nowhere to run.  Manning couldn't pass the ball because he had no time to do so.  Sure the drops were bad, the non-PI call was bad, etc, but with a little protection, the colts probably don't have 2 of the ints.  With a little bit of run blocking competency the Colts don't force themselves into obvious pass situations. 

The Polian problem here is his recent failure at drafting offensive linemen.  He drafted both Ugoh and Pollak in the second round and neither one of them has panned out.  One was to be the colts left tackle and the other was to be a guard / center in waiting.  Manning has covered for his line's inadequacies for years, but last night it was offered up for the nation to see with twinkling christmas lights.  Even prior to the debacle, NBC showed a sequence about how fast Manning gets rid of the ball.  I watch other QB's who have what seem like eternities to throw the ball.  Not Manning. 

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/11/o-line-em-up-which-qbs-are-holding-the-ball-too-long/

Some credit must be given where it is due, SD's defensive push was impressive.  Still, the colts should be better than that.  They weren't. 

Given the missing interior back end of the D, the colts played remarkably well when they had to.  No, they could not stop the run.  No, they are not big enough to handle SD's power game in an open field, but they did hold up very well in the red zone. 

Hats off to the bolts.  They took it to the colts.  

Big concern for the colts.  Even the return of Addai and Hart (which should help) and Collie doesn't change the offensive line problems. 

Let today's beatdown begin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Re: No longer encouraged, just humbled

told you.... their luck is gone and time has caught up with them...

and ...there are no excuses...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

jcour - has never been luck before.  They currently lack talent on their offensive line, and not even a 4 time MVP can hide that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Bill Polian will ask for a "mercy rule".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Lets hope so Harley. Its about the only thing that would appear to give the colts a chance.

Can an offensive line be remade in a year?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Well, I've gained some respect for you by coming here today to face what will certainly be a huge razzing! I won't pile on, but will add my thoughts. Last night I saw a look on Peyton's face I haven't seem before. sure, we've all seen the "sourpuss" when he has a bad game or thows a crucial pick. But this seemed worse than that. I immediately tought of Brett Favre. Manning looked old and tired. Not quite mad, but disgusted. like he was thinking the "party is over". I agree with you on the non-call. I think there were other players between the refs and the hold, they usually call that. You could see his hand around the receiver's waist. But now you know how we Patriots fans have felt when the same thing happens to our team. And it's not only against the Colts. A lot of people have been speculating that Polian "putting his eggs in one basket" would eventually come back to bite him. Still, I think Manning should have been there in his teammates' faces trying to implore them to hold up a bit better. Though the haters and trolls call Brady out for doing this, it's something a leader needs to do at times. I don't think this game necessarily means the Colts cannot still make the playoffs, though I imagine they will be like the 09 Patriots, and be outmatched against the best of the best. Addai returning may help some, but the line still would need to open up some holes for him. This certainly exposes Manning a bit, and shows just how much guys like Addai, Collie, and especially Clark have contributed to his success these last few years. They may want to look to FA to fill a couple holes until a draft pick can pan out. As we all know the draft is a c r a p shoot. Inevitably, the injury bug usually hits a team coming off a SB loss (and sometimes after even a win). Only the Seahawks and Cardinals managed to make it back to the postseaon after losing the big game since the early 90s. And they play in a much weaker division than either Indy or NE. I'll leave you to cry in your coffee. Even if neither of our teams make it back to the show we've had a hell of a run! We can console ourselves that at least we're not Lions fans!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Humbled enough to stop posting?  Apparently not...

I love when the Colts and Jets lose, this place gets its sanity back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Bub - I like coming to this site.  I dish it out.  I have to be able to take it when its my turn.  There's no hiding from last night's debacle.

As far as Manning is concerned, last night, I think he felt beaten.  I'd tell you that I believe he thinks he can win every game.  Not last night.  His receivers, including Wayne dropped a number of balls.  

I don't really care about the non-PI call.  Maybe it could have changed things, but how, really?  Delayed the inevitable?  Besides there are too many people on this site that whine about calls.  I am just not biting there. 

I don't agree with the too many eggs in one basket comment, however.  In the last 4 years Polian has drafted two olinemen in the second round and missed on both.  He's drafted other olinemen and picked up others in free agency.  For whatever reason, they cannot find the mix, and it showed last night.  BTW, credit must also be given to the Chargers. 

Finally, the last time I felt this concerned about the colts was the beginning of the 08 season after Manning's 2 knee surgeries and the colts were like 3-4.  They can still make the playoffs, as you say, but I don't see them making any noise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

As in BB words. Last night they did not execute enough plays to beat the Chargers. Enough said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: No longer encouraged, just humbled:
    jcour - has never been luck before.  They currently lack talent on their offensive line, and not even a 4 time MVP can hide that.
    Posted by UD6

the fact is even though gomer has been ok  good not great..(great wins championships)...the colts have been lucky... lucky in how the refs view pass interference....lucky that polian has say in how rules are implemented... lucky in how games are scheduled... every team has luck in different forms and fashions... yours has run out...so yes he has been lucky...  and a 4 time mvp...thats a joke...but maybe they should consider gomers choke factor when going with that popularity award...  i will take championships every time

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Bub,

I thought Peyton looked like he just didn't know what to do more than old. I thought I would enjoy seeing that look but you know what? It almost seemed like a really good era of football came to an end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well, let's not discount the fact that San Dago has had pretty regular success against Indy of late, and that defense can at least be statistically argued as one of the best in the league. It's not like it was any secret that the way to beat Manning is with pressure. Even putting up almost 400 yards, primarily against evacuating "prevent" defenses, against the Pats -- when push came to shove, Peyton forced the ball too many times under pressure -- and you're simply not going to overcome that many turnovers. I find it interesting that, in the first half, NBC did a montage showing how quickly Manning was getting rid of the ball -- under two seconds -- and Collinsworth was making a slobbering mess of himself (as he tends to do when he is in the same zip code as Manning) explaining how there is simply no way to defend Peyton. And yet, when the Chargers pressure started getting to Manning, the picks started adding up, and the game got out of hand, all you heard about was the incredible rash of injuries and how Jeff Linkenbach was "doing the best he can."

As I watched San Dago dominating the play on the field, and yet continually settling for field goals, I fully expected them to pay for it in the end. The zip-zip touchdown at the end of the first half bode well for Indy, but ultimately the Colts shot themselves in the foot far too many times. Whatever else you might expect from an "undermanned" squad, when the ball hits Reggie Wayne in the hands, he's supposed to catch it. 

Are the Colts fading before our eyes? 

Probably not.

They're displaying a lack of quality depth at some positions, and -- think what you will -- it certainly appears to the naked eye that the officials have deserted them. But they've got nothing but three-legged dogs left on their schedule, and three of five at home. They'll win the divsion with ease -- 9-7 would probably do it, but they'll finish better than that. As to what happens when they have to go outside the wet paper bag (and the Cowboys) once the tournament starts . . .

Well . . .   let's just say I don't think any of the quality in the AFC is exactly trembling in its boots at the prospect of facing these guys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

As in BB words. Last night they did not execute enough plays to beat the Chargers. Enough said.
    Posted by Bergzilla

Fact is that the Chargers have had Manning's number for the past 6 or 7 years...I believe the Bolt's are 5 & 1 or 6 & 1 vs the Colts in that time frame.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: No longer encouraged, just humbled :  the fact is even though gomer has been ok  good not great..(great wins championships)...the colts have been lucky... lucky in how the refs view pass interference....lucky that polian has say in how rules are implemented... lucky in how games are scheduled... every team has luck in different forms and fashions... yours has run out...so yes he has been lucky...  and a 4 time mvp...thats a joke...but maybe they should consider gomers choke factor when going with that popularity award...  i will take championships every time
    Posted by jcour382

I'd say your opinion is a bit biased, but you are entitled to it whether or not I agree.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

pmike - on the manning picks, I'd say he was responsible for one, the first which was certainly thrown under pressure and just after a player got a hand on him. 

The second was due to a hit.  The third was an uncalled PI.  The 4th was a receiver stumbling in the endzone.  But what do I know. 

As for the quickness of manning getting the ball out, I provided the link from Boston based Football Outsiders showing that Manning does in fact get the ball out faster than most covering up for his line's inadequacies, but he cannot do that every time, and last night it felt like Manning was under pressure the entire time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Well, let's not discount the fact that San Dago has had pretty regular success against Indy of late, and that defense can at least be statistically argued as one of the best in the league. It's not like it was any secret that the way to beat Manning is with pressure. Even putting up almost 400 yards, primarily against evacuating "prevent" defenses, against the Pats -- when push came to shove, Peyton forced the ball too many times under pressure -- and you're simply not going to overcome that many turnovers. I find it interesting that, in the first half, NBC did a montage showing how quickly Manning was getting rid of the ball -- under two seconds -- and Collinsworth was making a slobbering mess of himself (as he tends to do when he is in the same zip code as Manning) explaining how there is simply no way to defend Peyton. And yet, when the Chargers pressure started getting to Manning, the picks started adding up, and the game got out of hand, all you heard about was the incredible rash of injuries and how Jeff Linkenbach was "doing the best he can." As I watched San Dago dominating the play on the field, and yet continually settling for field goals, I fully expected them to pay for it in the end. The zip-zip touchdown at the end of the first half bode well for Indy, but ultimately the Colts shot themselves in the foot far too many times. Whatever else you might expect from an "undermanned" squad, when the ball hits Reggie Wayne in the hands, he's supposed to catch it.  Are the Colts fading before our eyes?  Probably not. They're displaying a lack of quality depth at some positions, and -- think what you will -- it certainly appears to the naked eye that the officials have deserted them. But they've got nothing but three-legged dogs left on their schedule, and three of five at home. They'll win the divsion with ease -- 9-7 would probably do it, but they'll finish better than that. As to what happens when they have to go outside the wet paper bag (and the Cowboys) once the tournament starts . . . Well . . .   let's just say I don't think any of the quality in the AFC is exactly trembling in its boots at the prospect of facing these guys.
    Posted by p-mike

I don't know if they are fading; I just think that missing Addai is not helping.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: No longer encouraged, just humbled : I'd say your opinion is a bit biased, but you are entitled to it whether or not I agree.
    Posted by UD6

i told you before the season...there were a number of factors... new coach(2nd year), new o cordinator... another year older... losing dallas clark this year is big... no doubt..plus hes not gettting the calls...they cant stop the run....
    they have a small defense... fast but small and people are running on them... if they cant stop the run...they wont stop the pass... 

of course im am biased...but i wouldnt say it if it werent true...and I said it before all of these other things..and he is 34... pressure is getting to him and he is really forcing stuff now... not good

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Well well well I think not so long ago some people that post here were all wondering how the colts seem to just keep rolling along. Funny thing is yesterday morning they were showing polian on gameday morning I think. He was on saying how he's only going to pay a few big stars and fill in the rest with JAGS.

This should make some people think before they speak about what BB and Brady have done. Just to think BB lead us to 11-5 after a superbowl loss and he lost his star QB week one. Would Dungy or Caldwell have pulled that off? 

I don't necessarily dislike you dog6. You are just words from where I sit. You say you don't want to start about calls, But you bring it up in your first post. It's been over a week and no reply on this. It's second to last drive for the Pats some where around 7:22 to go on 3rd an 4. 

Before some of you start to buddy up with this guy. You need to check the spygate2 post to see how long it took him to chime in and his thoughts. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Eric - while addai can help with pass blocking better than any other back, if the entire line is falling apart, his help will not change the reality. 

jc - why would a new coach in his second season be worse than that coach in his rookie season taking the team to the SB - illogical.  New OC may be an issue, but imo the new oline coach may be the bigger issue.  Mind you both of these guys have been on the staff for years, but are they adequate replacements?  Another year older doesn't bother me.  Overall the colts are a relatively young team.  The defense is small but held the big chargers 3 or 4 times inside the 10 last night.  Finally, pressure is getting to him.   Its called a porous oline.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

your next boston.com user name should be humbledoggg

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: No longer encouraged, just humbled : i told you before the season...there were a number of factors... new coach(2nd year), new o cordinator... another year older... losing dallas clark this year is big... no doubt..plus hes not gettting the calls...they cant stop the run.... they have a small defense... fast but small and people are running on them... if they cant stop the run...they wont stop the pass...   of course im am biased...but i wouldnt say it if it werent true...and I said it before all of these other things..and he is 34... pressure is getting to him and he is really forcing stuff now... not good
    Posted by jcour382

I think you are making too much of it ... he looks exactly the same as he did before 2003. Less weapons = less opportunity downfield. Add to it, he isn't good at sliding in the pocket, doesn't like to check down, and there you have it. 

The Colts defense actually played pretty well last night. They gave up 22 points and 301 yards to an offense that had trouble moving the ball, especially downfield. They were all over Rivers, and after the first drive, all over Tolbert too.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think it's now time for Underoos to stop whining all day long here and move on.

I warned of Polian's drafts being overrated and how depth could be an issue.

It's the same thing with the Jets and their eventual fade.   It will happen.

You can't have some good personnel here and there and then not have the depth needed to sustatin a season.

This is a classic case of people in Indy or nationally believing Polian is so great because they have been groomed to believe that for so long. Same with Gomer being somehow decidely superior to Brady.

I didn't buy it then and I still don't buy it.

Polian has had the luxury of having seasons where his teams avoided injuries (for the most part, minus the annual Bob Sanders abduction) , and now when it gets hot, we see what they are all about even in a division that has such disarray, to boot.

BB />Polian
    Brady />Manning

Sections
Shortcuts