No more Dr. Gill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No more Dr. Gill

Thank god

When he was the main Dr for the Sox they went through some of their worst injury seasons in a long time and not surprisingly when he became the main Dr. for the Pats 10yrs ago suddenly it felt like the injures went up too, esp in the last 3yrs or so which happen to line up with some of the major Sox injury issues that he got laid off from. I have no clue why injures seemed to go up around the guy but glad he's not handling things anymore.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/10/dr-thomas-gill-no-longer-team-doctor-for-patriots/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: No more Dr. Gill

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank god

When he was the main Dr for the Sox they went through some of their worst injury seasons in a long time and not surprisingly when he became the main Dr. for the Pats 10yrs ago suddenly it felt like the injures went up too, esp in the last 3yrs or so which happen to line up with some of the major Sox injury issues that he got laid off from. I have no clue why injures seemed to go up around the guy but glad he's not handling things anymore.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/10/dr-thomas-gill-no-longer-team-doctor-for-patriots/

[/QUOTE]

He's been at the center of many cases where the players accused him of incompetence.

Too many....he over stayed his welcome.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Still think he must of had pics on someone. For all the cases that surrounded him and all the injury issues between both teams how did he manage to stay as the main Dr. for so long?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Still think he must of had pics on someone. For all the cases that surrounded him and all the injury issues between both teams how did he manage to stay as the main Dr. for so long?

[/QUOTE]

Gronks Reps and family told Gill and the Pats your done touching him.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/10/10/source-serious-concern-over-tom-gill-surgery-on-rob-gronkowski/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I imagine being a doctor for an NFL team must be a rather big conflict of interest for the ethics of their profession. A team is going to expect a doctor to look out for their own best interests (getting the player to play) and go against what doctors usually do (look out for the patient).

I think what happened in this guy's situation is he tried to get the players back on the field as soon as possible, but risky procedures/diagnosis's hurt some players (gronk) and lead to others not trusting him. And topping it all off, he failed to get the players to come back quickly too...which I'm sure hurt his relationship with the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This is a nonstory from a team perspective imo.  The Patriots have always had the head of sports medicine at MGH serve as the team doctor.  Gill either resigned that position (which is what is being reported) or was forced out (but by the hospital and not by the team).  Unless you want to argue that the Patriots have some sway over the staffing decisions made at MGH I don't think this has anything to do with the team, injuries or Gronk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is a nonstory from a team perspective imo.  The Patriots have always had the head of sports medicine at MGH serve as the team doctor.  Gill either resigned that position (which is what is being reported) or was forced out (but by the hospital and not by the team).  Unless you want to argue that the Patriots have some sway over the staffing decisions made at MGH I don't think this has anything to do with the team, injuries or Gronk.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Intelligent and factual response

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed...They have a seperate "sports medicine" group at MGH, which he was the head of...it's where I had my knee examined and treated...other orthopedic stuff is covered by the regular orthopedic department at MGH...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, an endorsement from the Patriots is a big deal, if enough players were po'd enough to boycott him that might be reason for his removal after all.  I will say that I am also a big proponent of TrueChamp's theory that the loss of Mike Woicik has hurt the team and, big picture, the loss of coaches overall has been the most major obstacle in the way of another Patriot Super Bowl victory.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On the other hand, an endorsement from the Patriots is a big deal, if enough players were po'd enough to boycott him that might be reason for his removal after all.  I will say that I am also a big proponent of TrueChamp's theory that the loss of Mike Woicik has hurt the team and, big picture, the loss of coaches overall has been the most major obstacle in the way of another Patriot Super Bowl victory.

[/QUOTE]

The biggest obstacle in the way of the next championship has been insufficient talent on the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The biggest obstacle in the way of the next championship has been insufficient talent on the field.

[/QUOTE]

Bill drafts 'em, Gill grafts 'em . . . 

But then there are the Ras-I Dowlings of the world . . . 

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
    Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
    All the king's horses and all the king's men
    Couldn't put Humpty together again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

And when the budget is exceeded, Robert Krafts 'em? Tongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We were less talented in 2001.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But had better coaching.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And when the budget is exceeded, Robert Krafts 'em? Tongue Out

[/QUOTE]

hah! Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But had better coaching.

[/QUOTE]

On defense, I guess you mean, because the offense scored just 13 points . . . 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, talent is a funny thing, yes it helps but sometimes you need players that leave it all on the field and make their presense known...and form a good "team"

I looked at the D players in the 2002 SB and grabbed the ones that made a difference on that team.

How many D players would you have on a simular list today? Some stars...some workmen...but solid team players?

Hamilton, Bobby        
    Seymour, Richard       
    Pleasant, Anthony      
    Vrabel, Mike           
    Bruschi, Tedy          
    Phifer, Roman          
    Law, Ty                
    Smith, Otis            
    Milloy, Lawyer         
    Jones, Tebucky    
    Buckley, Terrell
    Chatham, Matt
    Cox, Bryan
    Izzo, Larry
    Johnson, Ted
    McGinest, Willie

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But had better coaching.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In the future try to avoid using Math, Science, or facts of any kind when rebutting Wozzy and/or TC.  They don't believe in those things.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, talent is a funny thing, yes it helps but sometimes you need players that leave it all on the field and make their presense known...and form a good "team"

I looked at the D players in the 2002 SB and grabbed the ones that made a difference on that team.

How many D players would you have on a simular list today? Some stars...some workmen...but solid team players?

Hamilton, Bobby        
    Seymour, Richard       
    Pleasant, Anthony      
    Vrabel, Mike           
    Bruschi, Tedy          
    Phifer, Roman          
    Law, Ty                
    Smith, Otis            
    Milloy, Lawyer         
    Jones, Tebucky    
    Buckley, Terrell
    Chatham, Matt
    Cox, Bryan
    Izzo, Larry
    Johnson, Ted
    McGinest, Willie

[/QUOTE]

That is an amazing list.  Every one of those guys made a difference.  Not a single one would make you say "Oh, no, get him out of there".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We also rushed 25 times for 133 yards (only 27 passes, balance anyone?) controlled the ball, field position and didn't turn the ball over once... kind of shoots holes in your "running doesn't matter" baloney doesn't it? 

Of course the Rams passed 44 times for 365 yards so obviously they must have scored a lot and won... right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In the future try to avoid using Math, Science, or facts of any kind when rebutting Wozzy and/or TC.  They don't believe in those things.

Score more than your opponent, keep your opponent from scoring, don't turn the ball over... you don't need much more than that. 

Of course if you're trying to support flawed logic or push an agenda you'll need some really complex equations and have to fall back on "averages" or some other obscure stats to get you exactly what you are looking for. 

Most of us just tally the score and that usually tells us who won.

Occam's razor... look it up.  The simplest answer is almost always correct.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Hamilton, Bobby               
    Pleasant, Anthony      
    Vrabel, Mike           
    Phifer, Roman                          
    Smith, Otis            
    Buckley, Terrell
    Chatham, Matt
    Cox, Bryan
    Izzo, Larry
    [/QUOTE]

What I see above is a list of "value" free agent signings that simpletons now
    rail against as the reason why we aren't talented enough to win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hamilton, Bobby        
    Seymour, Richard       
    Pleasant, Anthony      
    Vrabel, Mike           
    Bruschi, Tedy          
    Phifer, Roman          
    Law, Ty                
    Smith, Otis            
    Milloy, Lawyer         
    Jones, Tebucky    
    Buckley, Terrell
    Chatham, Matt
    Cox, Bryan
    Izzo, Larry
    Johnson, Ted
    McGinest, Willie

[/QUOTE]

That is an amazing list.  Every one of those guys made a difference.  Not a single one would make you say "Oh, no, get him out of there".

[/QUOTE]

Aside from Seymore, Law and Milloy, every one of them were "Oh no get them out of there" players. It wasn't till 2004 that people, other than Pats fans, thought otherwise about all of them.

Hamilton, too old, nothing left in the tank

Pleasant,  too old, nothing left in the tank

Vrabel, no name the Steelers didn't want anymore because he was lousy           

Bruschi, undersized reach           

Phifer, see Hamilton above          

Smith, Best thing about him was his nick name "My man Otis" cause his play was spotty at best.

Jones, Was such a good player the Pats couldn't wait to get rid of him   

Buckley, old, nothing left in the tank

Chatham, Matt who?

Cox, playing ability not worth worth the hassle of keeping him around, will cost you a couple of games a seson with bone headed plays/penalties, needs anger managemant classes

Izzo, a special teams only guy but puts on a good karaoke party. Sings about as good as he plays.

Johnson, can't stay on the field

McGinnest, never lived up to his potential. Too bad he could have been real good

Belichick, one of the best D Co-ordinators but alousy head coach, possibly worst ever, can't believe he got another head coaching job after running the Browns out of town

This is what the media consensus was back in 2000 and most fans agreed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Bryan Cox behaved himself here....made one play that season that turned that season around...he was the sandman long before Spikes every thought of it....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Aside from Seymore, Law and Milloy, every one of them were "Oh no get them out of there" players. It wasn't till 2004 that people, other than Pats fans, thought otherwise about all of them.

Hamilton, too old, nothing left in the tank

Pleasant,  too old, nothing left in the tank

Vrabel, no name the Steelers didn't want anymore because he was lousy           

Bruschi, undersized reach           

Phifer, see Hamilton above          

Smith, Best thing about him was his nick name "My man Otis" cause his play was spotty at best.

Jones, Was such a good player the Pats couldn't wait to get rid of him   

Buckley, old, nothing left in the tank

Chatham, Matt who?

Cox, playing ability not worth worth the hassle of keeping him around, will cost you a couple of games a seson with bone headed plays/penalties, needs anger managemant classes

Izzo, a special teams only guy but puts on a good karaoke party. Sings about as good as he plays.

Johnson, can't stay on the field

McGinnest, never lived up to his potential. Too bad he could have been real good

Belichick, one of the best D Co-ordinators but alousy head coach, possibly worst ever, can't believe he got another head coaching job after running the Browns out of town

This is what the media consensus was back in 2000 and most fans agreed.

Lots of hyperbole here ^^^.  Willie and Bruschi (to name 2) were never guys you wanted on the bench.  And neither were drafted by BB.

If you want to make the point that BB "coached those guys up" to their maximum potential I'll agree.   There is no one better at it than BB.  But those guys had the underlying ability that BB was able to bring to the surface.  And, many of the "role players" looked better when surrounded by the elite talent that was able to apply pressure so that the play didn't last as long.

Once the stars left (Willie, Seymour, Law, etc.) the ability to apply pressure vanished.  Ordinary players get exposed when that happens and even BB can't coach them up.

Sections
Shortcuts