No one remembers Dobson from ESPN?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

No one remembers Dobson from ESPN?

Seriously the sickest catch I've seen in the last decade at least. Hope this makes people feel fuzzy. 

http://youtu.be/YCdFFFAxLz0?t=14s

At the end of the day it's a draft ... we'll argue about it in a few years ... right now ... it was a decent draft. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: No one remembers Dobson from ESPN?

That is an awesome, circus catch. But here's a few I found. I hadn't watched any highlights, but I finally looked him up after seeing that absurd catch, and knowing he's had 0 drops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH3ZNz6FLAc

Specifically there are two catches at 1:35 and 2:02 that particularly struck me. Especially the one at 202.

I've been WAITING for a reiciever who could do this.

Did I mention the one at 2:02. Yeah. The way he goes UP and FIGHTS for the ball! He OBVIOUSLY has good hands...I mean, it's not even debateable. He has good size. Good speed. And he can catch balls like THOSE in traffic!

Brady is going to have a field day with this kid.

As long as he can learn the option route system, he's going to shred defenses. Even short of that, I see him being an IMMEDIATE goal line weapon on the outside. They haven't had that since 2007.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

This guy and Brady are going to get along really well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I like both receivers we drafted. This was a deep draft for receivers. I especially like Josh Boyce in the 4th, I think he will end up being a steal. Also I know we're crowded at slot receiver but don't count out TJ Moe, he may end up on the practice squad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

I like both receivers we drafted. This was a deep draft for receivers. I especially like Josh Boyce in the 4th, I think he will end up being a steal. Also I know we're crowded at slot receiver but don't count out TJ Moe, he may end up on the practice squad.

The Patirots track record with rookie wideouts has been horrible........it is imperative Brady make sure these guys are successful regardless of their ability to constantly be on the same page as him.

With the Patriot offesne being a read, react and adjust on the fly ....it makes it difficult for young guys to come in.....we all saw what happened to Chad Johnson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

That is an awesome, circus catch. But here's a few I found. I hadn't watched any highlights, but I finally looked him up after seeing that absurd catch, and knowing he's had 0 drops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH3ZNz6FLAc

Specifically there are two catches at 1:35 and 2:02 that particularly struck me. Especially the one at 202.

I've been WAITING for a reiciever who could do this.

Did I mention the one at 2:02. Yeah. The way he goes UP and FIGHTS for the ball! He OBVIOUSLY has good hands...I mean, it's not even debateable. He has good size. Good speed. And he can catch balls like THOSE in traffic!

Brady is going to have a field day with this kid.

As long as he can learn the option route system, he's going to shred defenses. Even short of that, I see him being an IMMEDIATE goal line weapon on the outside. They haven't had that since 2007.

Yeah, I just remembered it from ESPN year end highlights. It was the catch of the year. 

At any rate, if he can get up to NFL level ... sure. I think he is an intriguing prospect. Physically, he is exactly what NE needs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Seriously the sickest catch I've seen in the last decade at least. Hope this makes people feel fuzzy. 

At the end of the day it's a draft ... we'll argue about it in a few years ... right now ... it was a decent draft. 

True enough. What might be a concern is BB reverting to his trading down gimmick which in the past has shown itself to be rather ineffective.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

That one handed catch in the endzone was so far beyond ridiculous I don't even know what to say about it.  Looking at clips he has great hands, good speed, can create seperation and does a good job of positioning his body to keep the secondary away from the ball.  There was a lot of talk about how small his hands are, but considering his catching ability I would say that's a non issue.  The biggest thing will be getting on the same page as Brady and being able to read defenses the same way Brady is.  That has been the biggest downfall of every rookie receiver since Brady took over.  Hear he's very intelligent and the scouts and BB were really impressed was how he broke down film. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Is it to early to call Randy II?    Give him #84 (Branch won't be back anyway).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

yup. 3rd wr on my pats list. hope hes teh real deal and takes 2 dbs wiht him everywhere he goes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to bredbruu's comment:

yup. 3rd wr on my pats list. hope hes teh real deal and takes 2 dbs wiht him everywhere he goes.

The only bad thing is that, though he can take two DBs with him downfield, he won't beat them down field like Randy could. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I picked him in my "pick a wr every round" thread. The guy looks great and I do not understand how anyone has an issue with this pick. He has size, decent speed, can catch anything, and is smart from what I hear. He is EXACTLY what we have been looking for. 

Boyce looks very good as well. I love this draft so far.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

Right On and Spot On!

I picked him in my "pick a wr every round" thread. The guy looks great and I do not understand how anyone has an issue with this pick. He has size, decent speed, can catch anything, and is smart from what I hear. He is EXACTLY what we have been looking for. 

Boyce looks very good as well. I love this draft so far.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

One handed catches at full extension are OK, but I do not ever think I have seen a one handed BACKHAND catch! But ... that isn't really what makes a good receiver. In the highlights the ones that were more impressive in terms of everyday duties are the ones where he goes up with the DB hanging on his arms and just MAKES the catch.

As of for young guys learning ... haven't had that many chances. But with a complete make-over of the WRs everyone will be starting from scratch except Edelman. And the young guys may have a better chance because they aren't trying to unlearn their old systems and kick their bad habits.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

True enough. What might be a concern is BB reverting to his trading down gimmick which in the past has shown itself to be rather ineffective.

Not me. Some years I don't like trading down .... others it's ok. This year I like it. It was a terrible draft pool. 

The concept of "trading down" isn't static and needs to be judged against what you think is there. 

1.) This was a 5h!t draft. Tyler Eifert? Tank Carradine? I don't think there was any real "frst round talent." I'd rather have the shot at Collins and Dobson than any one player drafted ahead of them .... 50 times on Sunday.

2.) You are trading down a cr@p@ss selection too. 29 is not a great selection. It's not a 1st round pick that people cite. I could see if BB traded out of the the top 10. I mean, I'm not crying about losing out on  Patterson, Ogletre, Frederick, Elam or Cyprien.  I don't think, even on a good pool year, there is a difference between a 29 selection and a 40 really, as far as total talent goes. Statistically, there isn't in an average season, a difference between a 15 and a 50, as far as outcomes. Most of the hype about 1st round making "stars" is heavily weighted toward the first 15 or so which skew the outcomes for the rest. This year? Heck, I'll predict more probowlers from picks 32 to 64 than from 11 to 32.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In total talent, sure, that's about where I ranked him with my draft gang. As far as what NE needs? I have him Justin Hunter neck and neck at 1a and 1b. NE needed WR who could play in the deep end. There were only really a couple guys fitting that bill. Adding a vanilla 5'10" guy who runs good routes, or another midget slot guy who is a slightly better prospect does not help the team at all. In fact, even they had a crack at Keenan Allen for instance ... all that would do is replicate the slot disaster log jam they've already had. 

Dobson, as a prospect, was about as good as NE was going to do this draft at addressing a huge need that has been there for seasons, without mortgaging the future to trade up into the top 10 to get some monster DT or something. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

One handed catches at full extension are OK, but I do not ever think I have seen a one handed BACKHAND catch! But ... that isn't really what makes a good receiver. In the highlights the ones that were more impressive in terms of everyday duties are the ones where he goes up with the DB hanging on his arms and just MAKES the catch.

As of for young guys learning ... haven't had that many chances. But with a complete make-over of the WRs everyone will be starting from scratch except Edelman. And the young guys may have a better chance because they aren't trying to unlearn their old systems and kick their bad habits.

Totally. But I'm just trying to get people psyched. NE just had two 2nd round selections, which are valuable, and become stars as often as players from 15 to 32.

The kid needs a lot of work, but so do a handful of WRs selected before him. In the end, he has the highest ceiling in the draft at WR in my opinion, and his style fits what NE really needed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

Not me. Some years I don't like trading down .... others it's ok. This year I like it. It was a terrible draft pool. 

The concept of "trading down" isn't static and needs to be judged against what you think is there. 

1.) This was a 5h!t draft. Tyler Eifert? Tank Carradine? I don't think there was any real "frst round talent." I'd rather have the shot at Collins and Dobson than any one player drafted ahead of them .... 50 times on Sunday.

2.) You are trading down a cr@p@ss selection too. 29 is not a great selection. It's not a 1st round pick that people cite. I could see if BB traded out of the the top 10. I mean, I'm not crying about losing out on  Patterson, Ogletre, Frederick, Elam or Cyprien.  I don't think, even on a good pool year, there is a difference between a 29 selection and a 40 really, as far as total talent goes. Statistically, there isn't in an average season, a difference between a 15 and a 50, as far as outcomes. Most of the hype about 1st round making "stars" is heavily weighted toward the first 15 or so which skew the outcomes for the rest. This year? Heck, I'll predict more probowlers from picks 32 to 64 than from 11 to 32.

id taken carradine. coulkd have still gotten dobson or cmparable and a 3rd pick.

if collinsis an all pro , buchannon plays in the nfl like he did in college and dobson is a stud, im good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In total talent, sure, that's about where I ranked him with my draft gang. As far as what NE needs? I have him Justin Hunter neck and neck at 1a and 1b. NE needed WR who could play in the deep end. There were only really a couple guys fitting that bill. Adding a vanilla 5'10" guy who runs good routes, or another midget slot guy who is a slightly better prospect does not help the team at all. In fact, even they had a crack at Keenan Allen for instance ... all that would do is replicate the slot disaster log jam they've already had. 

Dobson, as a prospect, was about as good as NE was going to do this draft at addressing a huge need that has been there for seasons, without mortgaging the future to trade up into the top 10 to get some monster DT or something. 

i agree with parqgraph 1. i dotn knwo that dobson was the only one of his kind, but im glad we got one :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

id taken carradine. coulkd have still gotten dobson or cmparable and a 3rd pick.

if collinsis an all pro , buchannon plays in the nfl like he did in college and dobson is a stud, im good.

Really? I wouldn't. I don't think Carradine is any better a prospect than Collins.  I wouldn't give anyone, really, after the first 15-20 a first round grade. In fact, I like Collin's athleticism for what NE needs to improve. Add in the lower salary and extra cracks in the 3rd, 4th and 7th, and I prefer it a lot.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

i agree with parqgraph 1. i dotn knwo that dobson was the only one of his kind, but im glad we got one :)

I think Hunter could have fit the bill. Patterson and a few others don't come off to me as guys who would really stretch the field. NE needed something very specific. They got one of the top few who fit that bill. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Dobson, Boyce, Amendola, Edelman and Moe are a really good group of young receivers to be bringing to camp... only the negative Nancies could be sad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

Very excited about our receiving core. Expecially Dobson and Amendola