No Peppers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

No Peppers

Peppers signed w/ Carolina so all the talk of him coming to N.E. can stop. He wasn't a good fit for the Pats anyway. We all discussed this awhile ago, he's a hand on ground 4/3 DE not a 3/4 OLBer.

Carolina's Peppers signs franchise tender

Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers signed his franchise tender on Wednesday, ending any chance that the Pro Bowl end would hold out at the start of training camp.

The second overall pick in the 2002 NFL Draft has made four Pro Bowl appearances over his seven-year career with Carolina, but in the offseason had expressed his desire to play elsewhere.

However, he signed the one-year tender which is expected to earn him $16.7 million for 2009.

"I think that he has been an ideal teammate, an ideal player and he's been extremely valuable to us. There's no concern on this end," said Carolina general manager Marty Hurney.

In 2008, the 29-year-old, who switched from left to right defensive end, recorded a career-high 14 1/2 sacks and 51 tackles. In 106 career games with the Panthers, the North Carolina product has compiled 70 1/2 sacks and 344 tackles.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Re: No Peppers

In Response to No Peppers:
     Peppers signed w/ Carolina so all the talk of him coming to N.E. can stop. He wasn't a good fit for the Pats anyway. We all discussed this awhile ago, he's a hand on ground 4/3 DE not a 3/4 OLBer.   Carolina's Peppers signs franchise tender Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers signed his franchise tender on Wednesday, ending any chance that the Pro Bowl end would hold out at the start of training camp. The second overall pick in the 2002 NFL Draft has made four Pro Bowl appearances over his seven-year career with Carolina, but in the offseason had expressed his desire to play elsewhere. However, he signed the one-year tender which is expected to earn him $16.7 million for 2009. "I think that he has been an ideal teammate, an ideal player and he's been extremely valuable to us. There's no concern on this end," said Carolina general manager Marty Hurney. In 2008, the 29-year-old, who switched from left to right defensive end, recorded a career-high 14 1/2 sacks and 51 tackles. In 106 career games with the Panthers, the North Carolina product has compiled 70 1/2 sacks and 344 tackles.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

Actually Peppers signed the tender, that means that the Pats can talk trade with Carolina for him.  Before he signed the tender, the pats could not talk trade, all they could do was talk about signing him as a free agent and giving up 2 first round picks......

I still don't want him here unless he took a paycut.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

In Response to No Peppers : Actually Peppers signed the tender, that means that the Pats can talk trade with Carolina for him.  Before he signed the tender, the pats could not talk trade, all they could do was talk about signing him as a free agent and giving up 2 first round picks...... I still don't want him here unless he took a paycut.
    Posted by m1020us

Didn't BB say he wanted JP to sign the tag, then he could talk?  I'll bet he's on the phone right now with the Panthers.  Do you think this could be why VW hasn't been offered an extension yet?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

The problem with this is that the Pats can now officially make a trade, but the Panthers no longer have a reason to trade him. They've got him under contract and he'll play for them this year.

The only reason they make a deal at this point is to try and avoid this type of hold out in the future and to try and salvage something from him just walking away later. 

You know Belichick has called the Panthers 20 times already.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Why would BB trade for Peppers now when he's going to be a free agent next year. Any trade would have to involve a multiple year contract for him. There's a 4 to 6 week window for anything to happen then the defensive line up and schemes will be too close to being set.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

If....we were to somehow get this guy we would be unstoppable.  So I'm in the camp that says get him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If you look at all the one year deals signed by some current Pats and their league counterparts you gradually realise that many one year deals (that aren't franchise tenders) are with players who are looking for long-term security. As a general rule almost all of these players will want more money, longer terms or both. I see no difference in what Peppers is doing with the Panthers and what Asante did with the Patriots. My only caveat is that, if Peppers wants the same franchise money with NE long term, it would be an obvious enormous cap hit (back-loaded or front-loaded). I almost see the one-year deal, franchise or not, as an incentive laden deal. For example, if Bodden puts up pro-bowl caliber #s, some team will pay him more than the 2.8m or whatever, he'll earn for 2009.

Difficult to see Fork and Sey still on the payroll if Dr. Peppers comes to town. Does Thomas get cut ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

In Response to Re: No Peppers:
    Why would BB trade for Peppers now when he's going to be a free agent next year. Any trade would have to involve a multiple year contract for him. There's a 4 to 6 week window for anything to happen then the defensive line up and schemes will be too close to being set.
    Posted by Evil2009

If they could get him under contract this season where the league is potentially uncapped next year they have a lot more bargaining chips and with Krafts money they could spent dough like Luchino & Co.  I don't see that happening but getting these guys on your team is essential.

Everyone should just forget about this.  Every time a big name player was potentially moving this off season people looked to New England - even with T.O.  The bottom line is that reporter was wrong, I don't know why he wrote it, but he obviously did not have his sources lined up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I think our pass rush is in pretty good shape for this season and peppers will be a free agent next season after recieving his big pay dayof almost 17 million. He is tired of playing DE and wants to switch to OLB in the 3-4.  i think he will sign with us next season as a FA cause carolina cannot francise him next year cause he will cost over 18 million.  Hopefully next season will be uncapped so we can pick peppers up at about 4-5 million per season for 5 years, resign bodden to a front loaded deal, resign wilfork to a front loaded deal, and front load many of our other possible FA players in order to keep them here for the long term when the cap is renewed.  We can just let kraft buy the next decade of championships during the uncapped season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Our pass rush stunk last year and we were dreadful on 3rd down and red zone defense. With an, as yet, untested secondary a better pass rush is essential but I'm just not seeing why 2009's will be that much better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rimfire. Show Rimfire's posts

In Response to Re: No Peppers:
    I think our pass rush is in pretty good shape for this season and peppers will be a free agent next season after recieving his big pay dayof almost 17 million. He is tired of playing DE and wants to switch to OLB in the 3-4.  i think he will sign with us next season as a FA cause carolina cannot francise him next year cause he will cost over 18 million.  Hopefully next season will be uncapped so we can pick peppers up at about 4-5 million per season for 5 years, resign bodden to a front loaded deal, resign wilfork to a front loaded deal, and front load many of our other possible FA players in order to keep them here for the long term when the cap is renewed.  We can just let kraft buy the next decade of championships during the uncapped season.
    Posted by natesubs

Nate,

The problem with what you said above is that the Players Union has stated categorically, that if the salary cap ever goes away (meaning next year-potentially), that they will never allow it to be reinstated.  So the odds of that happening are really slim IMO, because the ownership can not afford to have that happen.

We definitely don't want to see a situation develop like it has in baseball-where big-money teams can (potentially) buy championships (as you said), while smaller market teams are frozen out by financial considerations.  "Parity" is too important to the success of football as a sport for the commissioner's office and the ownership permitting a situation like continued un-capped years to evolve.  Baseball appears to slit its own throat (popularity-wise) when they allowed teams like the Yanks to simply out-buy the majority of other teams.  There are too many smart business men in football (including Pats owner, Robert Kraft) to make a boneheaded business move that would kill their "golden goose".

Sections
Shortcuts