No Running Game & A Poor Defense Means about 10 Wins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Re: No Running Game & A Poor Defense Means about 10 Wins

In Response to No Running Game & A Poor Defense Means about 10 Wins:
    [QUOTE]The Pats Have no Credible Threat at the RB Position 

I think you'll be proven wrong about that pretty quickly. This team will run the ball and the other teams won't worry if its Maroney, Taylor, Morris or Faulk who score the touchdown; they're credible as they cross the goal line.

Taylor alone is a money back if he can stay healthy.

Your ten game theory might be about right but that's because the schedule is so difficult.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

We do have a running game. A pretty decent one, not elite, but decent. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

In Response to Re: No Running Game & A Poor Defense Means about 10 Wins:
    Considering that last year's 10 win team is better then this years team I guess I would take 10 wins. Do you believe this year's team is better then last year's???
    Posted by jaytf25

Offensively yes Brady a year removed from Surgery.. TE's should help  Defensively No D line to Thin

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

does DB stand for D-B a g?  You are an idiot.  do you think BB was going to show anything against these teams in meaningless practice games.  after your first idiotic post i stopped reading the rest so excuse me if this is repetitive

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

How exactly are we "thin" at D line?  Warren is out but he's missed a ton of time the last two seasons. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Fred Taylor is a defiant threat with breakaway speed.  The question is can he stay healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

does DB stand for D-B a g?  You are an idiot.  do you think BB was going to show anything against these teams in meaningless practice games.  after your first idiotic post i stopped reading the rest so excuse me if this is repetitive
    Posted by bostondynNASTY

I guess thats why you responded on page 2  from lack of reading 

The goal is to win the SB  (ask the 18-1 pats) which the 2010 Pats will not do

so does it really matter

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

<<the same way you are predicting they will be better than I say....  if you didn't feel that way you would not have responded...

just look at the roster....

they are thin at O line and D line shakey at RB with consistantly hurt Taylor and Morris.   Maroney is what he is  

and if you read my first post I said if no one emerges on D......

You need players to win the pats have few period />>

Feel free to comment on the Pats all you wish - they're fair game in this forum -but don't presume to tell me what I'm thinking or what I believe because, oh learned one, you haven't a clue.  Now, just so you know, I commented because I view the basis for your original post to be absolutely absurd - a pre-season game.  And based on that you project an entire season.  Your comments later about the O and D lines are add ons.  Either your original premise withstands scrutiny or it does not.  And, to be clear, yours simply does not hold up under the cold light of reason. 

The Pats may very well only win 10 games but if they do it won't be because they showed their wares in a preseason game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Can we stop with the "defense wins championships" malarkey?  That's so 2003.

It's a passing league, period, end of story, at least until Bill Polian adds a comma (or some parentheses).  If you can't throw, you cannot win.  You can win without being able to run the ball.  You can win with an average defense.

The two teams that were in the Super Bowl last year were 18th and 25th last year in total defense.  They were second and fourth in passing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Pats Have no Credible Threat at the RB Position  so They have to be Excellent on 1st and 2nd Down to over come..  The O against the Rams starters will be the norm more often than not...  Brady lit up the Rams Backups The Defense does not have 1 consistant playmaker.. if none emerge this season the pats will have problems getting D off the Field. plus the Dline is thin. They needed to address the pass rush D-Line and Saftey and RB they did not.. You need players to win in the NFL Schemeing will not get it done..  belicheck has not schemed a SB win since he lost his playmakers on Defense  back in 05 The 1's against the 1's for 3 qtrs is closer to the real pats than the 2 preseason games against teams they were already practicing with
    Posted by DBCoach

It was sort of obvious they were practicing their spread offense that game.  While they only mustered 35 points, I don't think it's indicative of what the offense will look like in the season.  The first two preseason games have shown a commitment to running and using the TE's, which will control the clock much better.  They were very effective in that offense.

Obviously the defense played poorly and whatever scheme they were practicing was not working but to ignore the first two games and form your opinion on only the third is a bit obtuse. 

Personally I've never been a big believer in the "great running back", no matter how good these guys are, they never do anything without good blocking and I think the TE's and Oline will be the difference in whether the running game succeeds or fails this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

DB, you say we don't have a running game, I say we do.  You say our defense is weak, I say it isn't.  You say, you say you say.  No proof.  Just a game against the Rams.  I think Kevin Faulk can run.  Prove me wrong.  I say Sammy Morris can run.  Prove me wrong.  I say Fred Taylor can run.  Prove me wrong.  THAT IS 3 OF 5 RUNNING BACKS WE HAVE.   So I think we are in better shape at RB than the Jets, with a guy who is  good, but hasn't carried a team for a whole year, and Tomlinson, who may or may not be broken down.  I just dont see your point, here.  Don't.  Defense?  I believe we have it in spades.  Passes defensed? Yep, it is on the tape.  Receivers jammed?  It's there.  Routes disrupted?  There again.  I'm not buying your premise. Its a matter of working with the schemes, getting it right and tightening things up.  I will be glad to play the Giants and stop all this- end of the world because the Rams beat us- stuff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

How can anyone be so certain how the Pats will do this year off of 3 pre-season games?  Harken back to the pre-season of 2008.  What did the Pats do then...  yep, they scored a big bagel in the W column!  I do not recall seeing so much crying then as everyone expected the Pats to come out roaring to atone for the SB loss. Then Brady goes down in the 1st game and it was "oh whoa is us" for the season and the Pats still pulled out 11 wins!  In '09, 3 - 1 and all sorts of predictions of 1 - 3 loss seasons with Brady back and fired up.  Prior to that the last winning pre-season the Pats had was '03.  So here we are, 2 - 1 in preseason and folks are making judgements for an entire season already.  I'd like to see how the roster sets up first, then we could make some sort of rational judgement.  I have seen these pre-season assessments go up and down like crazy after each pre-season game and from the same folks, at that.  One poster went from 13 - 3 to 10 - 6 and is now 8 - 8, I believe. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

The Pats Have no Credible Threat at the RB Position  so They have to be Excellent on 1st and 2nd Down to over come..  The O against the Rams starters will be the norm more often than not...  Brady lit up the Rams Backups The Defense does not have 1 consistant playmaker.. if none emerge this season the pats will have problems getting D off the Field. plus the Dline is thin. They needed to address the pass rush D-Line and Saftey and RB they did not.. You need players to win in the NFL Schemeing will not get it done..  belicheck has not schemed a SB win since he lost his playmakers on Defense  back in 05 The 1's against the 1's for 3 qtrs is closer to the real pats than the 2 preseason games against teams they were already practicing with
    Posted by DBCoach

Belichick never won a Superbowl with defense - he won with offense.  His "playmakers" on defense blew a 14-point fourth quarter lead to the Rams, got shredded by the Panthers, and were only okay against the Eagles - I give them a bit of a pass against the Giants because it was the ultimate fluke play that cost the Patriots there.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

agcsbill - I don't know for certain how the Patriots will do, and yes they are preseason games.  I do feel good about their chances based on the overall effort in them, though, because the defense has shown ability to hold its own against quality teams and the offense has been the strongest unit of the team. 
    The run should not be relied on because it's a passing game and the run wastes downs far more than it moves the chains - establishing the run is a myth. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

DBCoach, are you crazy!? Do you know what will happen if you point out opinion and heaven forbid fact? RUSS will come looking for you, call you a troll, give you his expert knowledge and then continue to sip Koolaid.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

agcsbill - I don't know for certain how the Patriots will do, and yes they are preseason games.  I do feel good about their chances based on the overall effort in them, though, because the defense has shown ability to hold its own against quality teams and the offense has been the strongest unit of the team.  The run should not be relied on because it's a passing game and the run wastes downs far more than it moves the chains - establishing the run is a myth. 
    Posted by STP43FAN

We also have to remember this...  it has been a rare season in which the Pats did not suffer some sort of significant injuries early in a season that looked so promising.  Warren is out... now who else?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

The Pats running game by commitee is going to work well for them this year barring everyone stays healthy. You can pretty much expect that we will lose at least one RB for a few games at some point this year. If Freddie T stays healthy, he will be their predominant back. While not as explosive as he used to be, he still has a lot left in his tank for a solid 15 touches a game. I see their their running game getting a repectable 125 yrds a game between the bunch of them. They will be fine there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

Ah yes, those magical one-way practices where the Patriots benefitted and the other team didn't. who said the other team didn't benifit The worst rushing offense in the NFL got to the SB last year with the #1 pass Off and a Defense that ranked near or at the top of the league in TO's  TO's mean extra poss for the offense pats will have neither #1 pass O possible but doubt it  and D will not be good I'm still giving them 10 wins and possible playoffs ...  just being realistic and  lookin at this years Pats and not past years teams
    Posted by DBCoach

Believe it or not, but the #1 passing offense last year was the houston Texans by 200yds...Colts were 2nd and NE was 3rd....Saints were 7th.

as far as D, NE ranked 5th in PApg, where indy was 8th and NO was 20th.

I am not sure at how you can see that the Pats have not improved from last year.....After suffering many losses to players retiring last minute, trades and injuries and still going on to win 10 games is still amazing. 

What I see is players who were out last year who are coming back from injury, a great draft, and the dead weight idiot cancer in the locker room gone, key players stepping up to become leaders......I see a 12 to 14 win season.  That is being realistic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

The Pats running game by commitee is going to work well for them this year barring everyone stays healthy. You can pretty much expect that we will lose at least one RB for a few games at some point this year. If Freddie T stays healthy, he will be their predominant back. While not as explosive as he used to be, he still has a lot left in his tank for a solid 15 touches a game. I see their their running game getting a repectable 125 yrds a game between the bunch of them. They will be fine there.
    Posted by 4Adam13

Didn't we lose most of our RB's to injury last year and had Lawfirm starting a couple of games?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

In Response to Re: No Running Game & A Poor Defense Means about 10 Wins : The lack of Running game is more importatnt this year cause the D is weak .. The Run game is needed for TOP  (time of Poss) as the D will have probs getting off the field lets look at this years team not teams of the past
    Posted by DBCoach

I hate to break it to you, the Pats D is better this year than last year....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

In Response to Re: No Running Game & A Poor Defense Means about 10 Wins : I hate to break it to you, the Pats D is better this year than last year....
    Posted by m1024us

they may I like spikes.. D Line is too thin for me to think that  OLB's have to make plays  and get a rush on the passer...  DB's very young..  lack of depth will wear them down come 4th qtr..  late in the season

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

That was 2 years ago when Lawfirm got carries because Maroney was IRed and Sammy I forgot what happened but I think he sparined his knee. Now we have one more old back to go through before Lawfirm even gets a legitimate chance. 

At RB anything can really happen it all depends on the blocking up front and if Maroney or whoever the ball carrier is stays healthy. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Running game will be adequate; the OL is a concern without Mankins and Kazur.  I think we need a GM like Ozzie Newcome in Balt.  BB can't draft well enough.  We should have had Mike Oher of Ole Miss - great young all-American lineman and future all-pro.  Instead we trade DOWN to get Pat Chung, who has yet to accomplish anything of note.

The D will come around and we probably will scavange some good parts after last cuts are made in NFL.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

Preseason over amended to about 8 or 9 wins

Sections
Shortcuts