No Silver Lining In Patriots' Aura of Desperation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

No Silver Lining In Patriots' Aura of Desperation

We won against the Bills, Dolphins and Jets lost,  two games in hand in the loss column, 3-0 in division games. #1 in total offense, #1 in takeaway/giveaway

Our offense is pretty solid at this point. Two challenging games left on the regular season schedule, currently seeded #3 behind the Texans and Ravens (owning tie-breaker over Denver)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs

Everything is good, right?

Although there are a few individual exceptions, why does it seem like the team has no fire in their belly, no team chemistry, and playing/coaching with an aura of desperation?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: No Silver Lining In Patriots' Aura of Desperation

Probably they realize what a struggle it will be to go deep into the playoffs with a defense this inept.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It doesn't seem like that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Sure it does. The team as a whole looks like a deer in headlights getting ready to meet a Humvee's front grill at  75 mph.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think the offense is playing pretty well.  The running game is noticeably better than it has been in recent years thanks to better talent and better commitment to it.  The passing game is still quite good, though they continue to have an odd collection of receivers, I think.  It's a talented group, but strangely lacking in traditional wideouts.  It's all TEs, slot receivers, and Lloyd, whose skill set seems to be limited to making acrobatic catches on the sideline.  Still it works, especially now that it's complemented with much more effective running. 

The problem is again the defense.  Nothing new here, but they don't have good coverage skills in either the LBs or the DBs.  Generally, they look good against the run, though yesterday and against the Ravens, we saw breakdowns.  I'll have to look at the film this weak to try to understand why. But pass defense is horrendous.  The pass rush isn't great, but it's not as bad, I don't think, as some fans are saying.  The real issue is coverage.  It's just plain bad.  Atrocious, really. Hopefully, Talib helps, but this continues to be a thorn in the Pat's side as it was last year and as it has been for many years.  We need safeties.  We need corners. And we need LBs who can at least occasionally prevent a completion in their zones. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think they look like good team with a poor defense.  I haven't heard anyone with any credibility talking about the team having no chemistry, no fire in their belly, and playing with desperation.

Sure there's a few negative Nancy's who will say anything (yet I still haven't heard what you said), but reasonable people, or from the Media.  No, haven't heard that at all.

So, I would say the thread should be called, Why do I feel like this, when nobody else does.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

LMAO. Who on this board has "credibility"? It's about opinions.  The shot of BB looking depressed when the Bills couldn't be stopped on 3rd downs, and Brady's outward "frustration" towards Edelman, the acquisition of Talib on the last trading day......says a lot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:
    [QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

LMAO. Who on this board has "credibility"? It's about opinions.  The shot of BB looking depressed when the Bills couldn't be stopped on 3rd downs, and Brady's outward "frustration" towards Edelman, the acquisition of Talib on the last trading day......says a lot.

[/QUOTE]

The guy that says the defense is awesome= no credibility.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This team needs to peak towards the last 1/4 of it's schedule and come together, this defense at least has the talent to do so, it doesn't have any gaping holes as long as they get healthy for the playoffs... that's the end game; playoffs.  Belichick tried one time to win every game and go undefeated, they ran out of gas in the end, I don't suspect we'll ever see that again.

So yes for now, everything is good.  In Belichick we trust.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We should look back on 2003-2004 since people here (some who probably started watching football around that time) hold that as the bench mark of what a defense should be...

31 points allowed week 1

30 points week 5

26 points week 9

34 points week 13

29 points in the Super Bowl

34 points given up in week 8

28 points in week 14

29 points in week 15

27 points and 24 points in the AFC title game and Super Bowl

Ahh... the memories, how dominant and perfect we were... sigh.

Get a grip people, the NFL has made offense a priority, scoring has exploded with the rise in yellow flags on ALL defense's.  Your memories of how great the past was has mixed with your imagination.  Oh yeah we weren't a high flying run and shoot passing team back then either, that's how we won Super Bowls; being a smashmouth run first, run hard team and playing the time of possession game.... kind of like how we do now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We should look back on 2003-2004 since people here (some who probably started watching football around that time) hold that as the bench mark of what a defense should be...

31 points allowed week 1

30 points week 5

26 points week 9

34 points week 13

28 points in week 14

29 points in week 15

Get a grip people, the NFL has made offense a priority, scoring has exploded with the rise in yellow flags on ALL defense's.  Your memories of how great the past was has mixed with your imagination.  Oh yeah we weren't a high flying run and shoot passing team back then either, that's how we won Super Bowls; being a smashmouth team and playing the time of possession game.... kind of like how we do now.

[/QUOTE]

They were the #1, and #2 defense in points allowed in 2003 and 2004.  The defense was better in those years.  They were a great defense back then, that is how they won a SB.  If you think this defense is just as good as it was in 03 and 04 than you must not have watched them play in 03 and 04.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's not just that the defense was better, it's also that TB can no longer throw the ball like he used to.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

The loser's quest for quickest to reach 1000 posts marches on

• Neal Page
    • First: 10/28/2012
    • Last: 11/12/2012

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Obviously BB expending nearly his entire draft on D and making a last minute trade for a talented but troubled defender clearly shows he isn't thinking any differently than what every sober fan is thinking; this defense has been a catstrophe waiting to happen.

Hopefully his dramatic moves on bahalf of the D since the last SB will pay off at some point before Brady is in a rocking chair.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not just that the defense was better, it's also that TB can no longer throw the ball like he used to.  

[/QUOTE]

Any proof of that contention?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It doesn't seem like that. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree. It doesn't seem like that at all.  I see a team looking to get healthier on D, especially on the back end, and has a new CB coming in next week. Once those pieces settle in, I think we'll see more consistency and confidence on D.

As for the offense, I see the same issues cropping up and I just don't think Hernandez's return fixes those. It's still the shotgun spread that causes the offense to sputter during games.

Imagine if Ridley wasn't subbed off the field as much?  It's comical, they sub him off or Vereen off and then whoever comes back on, it's a run, the opponent's D easily sees it because we're so predictable and you see the Safety cheat up and get behind the line of scrimmage.

And we wonder why our run game isn't better?

[/QUOTE]

The guy is fifth in the NFL in yards per game and fifth in carries... Does he have to lead the NFL in both categories before people feel like the Patriots are running enough.

Yesterday, the Patriots ran more in the second half than the first despite having a dreadful first half running the ball. Ridley had 10 carries for 33 yards in the first half (2.2 YPC). Did they "give up on the run", nope he had 12 carries in the second half and ended with 98 yards.

Seriously, how much do the Patriots need to run the ball for people to think it is enough. The are 9th in terms of percentage of running plays. They run more than teams like Pittsburgh, Denver and the Giants. There is no team ahead of them whose QB is one of their top players. 

I am not defending McDaniels here at all... I think he is another BB overrated assistant (Bill likes these guys who never work for other NFL coaches who only know his way of doing things), but the answer is not simply run the ball more...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

How is the D "poor" when it's 2nd in the NFL in Run D and leads the AFC in takeaways (again)?  That makes no sense. Flawed might be a good word, but then again, 90% of Ds in this league are flawed in some way.

We heard this same crap last year about how bad they are, then they go to a SB, holding the Giants to 13 points over 57 minutes. If they were that bad, they aren't in a SB nor are they winning 12+ games per year. There are many times in these games where if the D doesn't make a play, the game could get out of hand because our offense stinks at times moving the ball.

Is it really a good thing when the D causes another fumble and then our offense spends 19 seconds of clock on the flip side, losing field? I mean, just get one 1st down and then take it one play at a tiime there.

You can't keep saying it because they aren't some lock down elite D. The D needs to tighten some things up, get healthy and settle in on the back end, and they will. The adjective choices to describe the D are pathetic. It reeks of propaganda.

The pass rush is pretty good, but needs to be more consistent somehow. It's what makes the crappy call on Spikes so infurirating. A well timed, dialed up blitz by BB/Patricia and a chinzty call extends their drive.  I refuse to let poor calls reflect what is really happening on the field.

[/QUOTE]

is giving up 31 points to the 17th ranked team in points a good thing or bad thing? The Patriots are ranked #15 in pts given, #15 last year, #5 in 2009, #4 in 2007, #2 in 2004.

Which direction is the trend?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

31 points allowed week 1

30 points week 5

26 points week 9

34 points week 13

28 points in week 14

29 points in week 15

Get a grip people, the NFL has made offense a priority, scoring has exploded with the rise in yellow flags on ALL defense's.  Your memories of how great the past was has mixed with your imagination.  Oh yeah we weren't a high flying run and shoot passing team back then either, that's how we won Super Bowls; being a smashmouth run first, run hard team and playing the time of possession game.... kind of like how we do now.

[/QUOTE]

sort of misleading, as the average # pts given/game was among the best. The fact is, the # of pts. given/game has worsened over the years....and, one factor, is the increase in the #passing yards given/game. The Patriots pass rush and secondary has trended being worse.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Last year's putrid, horrible defense gave up fewer points in Super Bowl than any of those championship years except for 2001...  tell us again how it's the defense's fault the offense didn't score in the 4th quarter and turned it over twice.

The defense played well in the 1st quarter yesterday, then they stopped playing well; I'm not here to defend them especially when they don't play well.  That being said there are also positives like run defense and forced turnovers.  

Those defenses back then also gave up yards, middle of the pack as far as passing yards go, this defense needs to get better on third downs and rushing the passer, but there has been week to week improvements and they'll be judged on their complete body of work and more importantly how they play in the post season.  

I happen to believe BB plays his defensive players conservatively and plays situational defense, we cushion leads and ride them out hoping our defense will execute and keep their offense inbounds and the clock running, we don't shut them down on defense as much as wait them out.  We have only one "max contract" player on defense and that's Wilfork who plays nearly every down, almost every other large contract we have are offensive players.