No suspensions or fines for 2 JETS players? WTF?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: No suspensions or fines for 2 JETS players? WTF?

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I think this video from this angle makes it pretty evident it was late at least 2 to 3 yards out of bounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j2zvKCPk7cU

Looks a little different here.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I think this video from this angle makes it pretty evident it was late at least 2 to 3 yards out of bounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j2zvKCPk7cU

not really as it was a head on shot vs. side.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

Still in denial

No not really, I don't spend 24/7 like you Butchise and NAS stalking people obsessively. 

His foot was on the boundary in that picture and it doesn't absolve Mangold from diving into the back of his knees.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

heres a video from both angles

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/13/patriots-jets-fight-nick-mangold-hit_n_3918019.html

about of a 3rd of the way in, you can see talib jumping out of bounds a split second before contact by mangold. If he had not lept out of bounds at the last second Talib would've been right on that side line at contact. 

And like i said, I did NOT say he wasn't hit late.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I could personally care less, most fines are a joke anyways given how much these players make. Harmless little tussle, life goes on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Harmless little tussle, life goes on.

yep. It's not flag football......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Talib should have just went down--- the game was over ---why risk an injury? Dumb on his part and if we lose him for any extended time this will be a BIG hit!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

If they want to make a difference with illegal hits, they have to get serious with suspensions.  Myself, I would prefer certain automatic suspensions depending on the hit, as minimums.  I would also make it so that if you injure a player on an illegal hit, your suspension matches the number of games the injured player misses, including if the injury ends a player's career, you're done too.

It will never happen, but IMO, it's the way to put some teeth behind cracking down on illegal hits.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

If they want to make a difference with illegal hits, they have to get serious with suspensions.  Myself, I would prefer certain automatic suspensions depending on the hit, as minimums.  I would also make it so that if you injure a player on an illegal hit, your suspension matches the number of games the injured player misses, including if the injury ends a player's career, you're done too.

It will never happen, but IMO, it's the way to put some teeth behind cracking down on illegal hits.

that's out of the box thinking.  Yes, if the penalty had teeth - I think it would reduce illegal hits. I'm wondering how it would ultimately effect the overall game though...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:

that's out of the box thinking.  Yes, if the penalty had teeth - I think it would reduce illegal hits. I'm wondering how it would ultimately effect the overall game though...

I realize it's a tough game, and it's supposed to be physical.  However, I think the issue is that the rules management of the game has not kept up with the speed and size of the players.

I know the threat of that kind of penalty would reduce the physicality of the game, but it would likely tip it in favor of the offense, which is what the NFL seems to want anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I realize it's a tough game, and it's supposed to be physical.  However, I think the issue is that the rules management of the game has not kept up with the speed and size of the players.

I know the threat of that kind of penalty would reduce the physicality of the game, but it would likely tip it in favor of the offense, which is what the NFL seems to want anyway.

I like scoring and all, but I like seeing the hard, clean hits....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

As I watched the melee, I saw the true Dennard come out of his shell. First pushing Mangold, then punched #62 in the face.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No not really, I don't spend 24/7 like you Butchise and NAS stalking people obsessively. 

I think you have me confused with someone else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

^ +1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Stuff like this is discussed in sports often.  There are too many flaws in matching suspensions.  Not all illegal hits are intentional.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Stuff like this is discussed in sports often.  There are too many flaws in matching suspensions.  Not all illegal hits are intentional.

Fair point, but do we really need to worry about all the shades in between black and white?  It's a game, not the justice system.  For what other rules violations on the field does intent matter?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Fair point, but do we really need to worry about all the shades in between black and white?  It's a game, not the justice system.  For what other rules violations on the field does intent matter?

No others consider intent, but no others could mean a lifetime ban, either.  If a player is not paying attention to the lines and hits a guy who is out of bounds and causes a separated shoulder that never heals, that player is gone for life under this idea. 

How about a superstar #1 overall rookie LB who tries to go high on a QB but ends up being juuuuuust a little too low and the QB's knee prevents him from ever coming back.  The rookie never plays again.

It just won't work.

Long suspensions are a great idea.  Tying them the length of the injury is impossible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

No others consider intent, but no others could mean a lifetime ban, either.  If a player is not paying attention to the lines and hits a guy who is out of bounds and causes a separated shoulder that never heals, that player is gone for life under this idea. 

How about a superstar #1 overall rookie LB who tries to go high on a QB but ends up being juuuuuust a little too low and the QB's knee prevents him from ever coming back.  The rookie never plays again.

It just won't work.

Long suspensions are a great idea.  Tying them the length of the injury is impossible.

would you prefer, say, a "Three Strikes You're Out" type approach?

First one--suspended for X games

Second one--longer suspension (full season?)

third one--you're done, career over

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

would you prefer, say, a "Three Strikes You're Out" type approach?

First one--suspended for X games

Second one--longer suspension (full season?)

third one--you're done, career over

This would work with drug issues because the action would be 100% intentional each time.  For illegal hits, I think major suspensions and major fines would work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

This would work with drug issues because the action would be 100% intentional each time.  For illegal hits, I think major suspensions and major fines would work.

I would agree, although I would prefer if repeated offenses were met with increasing consequences.  For the fines to work I think they need to be pegged as a % of the offender's salary (pro-rated across the contract including all bonuses).  Let's face it, $100k to someone making league minimum is much harsher than 100K for someone making 7 mil per year.

How about if the fines are equal to the % of the season represented by the suspension?  get suspended for two games, the fine is one-eighth of the annual salary.

I realize I'm not going to come up with the formula, just wondering what others might think about this stuff.

Oh, and thanks for editing the quote box.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to Eddymon's comment:

[QUOTE]

So it appears that Mangold didn't get fined for his late hit on Talib and that both Colon and Ferguson also will not be punished for the late game scrum in which Ferguson tossed the ref aside.

The NFL fines and suspends for questionable hits but shoving an official and throwing punches is O.K.?

Questionable hits are a safety issue and a potential lawsuit issue (depending on how cycnical you are). FYI, over the past month two HS football kids have passed away due to hits. At the rate that NFL hits are getting mroe violent, it may not be long before we see one happen in pro football.

[/QUOTE]

Daryl Stingley,  heart disease and pneumonia complicated by his paralysis.  Took 30 years but it was Jack (they call me assasin) Tatums hit that killed him.

Sections
Shortcuts