no way that field goal was good

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

no way that field goal was good

no way that field goal was good.  it was directly above the post at the time it crossed the plane, therefor it would have bounced back and out. the refs handed baltimore the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: no way that field goal was good

the refs did hand baltimore the game, but not in that way.....the kick was good

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

no way that field goal was good.  it was directly above the post at the time it crossed the plane, therefor it would have bounced back and out. the refs handed baltimore the game.

[/QUOTE]

Nate, I know it sounds crazy, but I think the NFL rules state a kick that goes directly over the post is considered to be a good kick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the refs did hand baltimore the game, but not in that way.....the kick was good

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm not positive on this, but I think if the ball sails over directly above an upright, it's considered good. I think the kick, although VERY close, was good. The officiating, however, was not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the ref that looked like clint eastwood was absolutely pathetic.....the real clint eastwood could have done a better job.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Looked good to me, darn it! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Here we go...

Rule 11.4.2

The entire ball must travel through the vertical plane of the goal, which is the area above the crossbar and between the uprights or, if above the uprights, between their outside edges.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here we go...

Rule 11.4.2

The entire ball must travel through the vertical plane of the goal, which is the area above the crossbar and between the uprights or, if above the uprights, between their outside edges.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Matt.

Absolutely impossible to determine.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

A FG that goes over the top of an upright is not reviewable because you cannot determine when exactly the ball is directly over the pole

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A FG that goes over the top of an upright is not reviewable because you cannot determine when exactly the ball is directly over the pole

[/QUOTE]

yes you can you just have to use math. 

1) 1 camera angle- one you can record the time it takes for the ball to hit the net then use calculus to get the exact path of the ball thus establishing the speed of the ball.  (i bet the boys at NASA could help us) if you know the rate at which the ball is traveling you can then tell the distance of the arc from the kickers leg to the post thus establishing where the ball would be when it crosses the plane of the goal.  then you just look at its position at the figured out time.

2) 2 camera angles.  preferably the goal line camera. simply record the time it takes for the ball to pass above the unright in the goal line camera, then from the front view look at the position of the ball. 

these refs are not only incompetent they are lazy.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to natesubs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nate, I know it sounds crazy, but I think the NFL rules state a kick that goes directly over the post is considered to be a good kick.

[/QUOTE]

That is correct Nate...   if you extend the goal posts straight up to the height of the kick, a football is presumed to pass "through"  the goal posts, not bounce off either right or left.  So, that means in soccer and hockey, shots that have hit the goals posts are considered good, right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Thats why bb was after that official ... He was the goal judge under that upright . If you look straight up the post you can see if any of the ball passes outside when it goes over the post.

It's probably why the rule is written that way.  , because you can see it from the ground.  It favors high kicks because the goal is wider... But it's the same for both  teams so moot point .

I think that official choked on that close call... He probably saw a little bit of the ball and I think I heard cc say he signaled no good initially and was overruled by someone who couldn't have seen it as clearly . BB sensed this and became incensed (possibly ).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I'm not sure we had a straight on camera view but it looked to be more on the good side than the missed side.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not sure we had a straight on camera view but it looked to be more on the good side than the missed side.

[/QUOTE]

You're either a Ravens fan or blind. But, you're wrong.  The rule states that the ball has to be vertically in-line for the ref to make the judgement you're speaking about there.  There is no way on earth that you can tell anyone that the ball wasn't pushing to the right, before it crossed the upright.

Look at the thread I started about this. I felt it was close and he may have missed it and the replay proves he missed it.

Under 2:00, you have to, by rule, review any close plays.

This game should at least be protested for these reasons.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree that the replay "proves" he missed it. You cannot tell when it passes the plane of the end line. Until the NFL puts cameras on the vertical posts pointing up, this will always be an issue. You said it yourself, it is the job of the ref standing under the post to judge whether it went inside or outside the post. He ruled it good. Replay would never have been conclusive on that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the ref that looked like clint eastwood was absolutely pathetic.....the real clint eastwood could have done a better job.

[/QUOTE]

Heck, Clint's empty chair woud have done a better job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/NFL-Network-Belichick-fumed-after-Tuckers-FG/fdc6689f-7beb-478d-b6d3-894085e04d11

Could have been called either way.  As close as I've ever seen one before, but let's be honest, after the debacle of the refs up to that point all they wanted to do was get out of that stadium alive.  I'm sure the BS chant was still ringing in their ears, thus it was good.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'm not going to allow my love for the Pats effect the way I see that field goal.  Honestly I think it could have gone either way.  However, I will say it should have never come down to that kick.  The Pats could have sealed the game with other scoring drives that were stalled by BS calls, or by failing to stop the Ravens because of BS calls. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

I didn't think the field goal was good, and I still don't, all the ensuing explanations notwithstanding.  The thing that p*ssed me off was all the holding by the Baltimore offensive line down the stretch on their crucial drive that wasn't called.  I swear to God, they held on every play during the touchdown drive.  That TD was handed to them, pure and simple.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Good or bad, they never should have had the opportunity to kick it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The NFL makes Billions of $ of TV contracts yet they can't mount a small camera on each goal post?  A***oles.  I lost a lot of respect for the league last night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

BB explains FG/zebra issue.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4730744/belichick-explains-official-situation