None of you here can talk football!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

None of you here can talk football!

Not my words - just quoting what was told to me last night at a Dunkin Donuts as I was having coffee by a guy who in his own words "knows the game because in the 60s he had a TRYOUT for the KC Chiefs"and "Anybody who has never played college ball or had a pro team tryout,  doesnt  know anything about the game and cant talk about it" So then I mentioned that if Belichick didnt do either, how could he be a head coach?? At that point the guy got up and left....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Re: None of you here can talk football!

Um,  Belichick played college ball at Wesleyan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Tightend

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

La Crosse actually

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

In response to nyjoseph's comment:

La Crosse actually

He played both.

http://www.wesleyan.edu/athletics/halloffame/inductee-info/2008-spring/bill-belichick.html

"...Bill, who lettered in football, lacrosse, and squash while a Wesleyan undergraduate..."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Check it out. I'm sure BB played center and tight end at Wesleyan. I'm pretty sure he also played lacrosse and squash. Wesleyan is a great school (my son went there) so you can be sure that the guy is smart and that he worked hard when he was there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It makes me laugh to hear people say things like this - in my opinion most of these guys know the least about football. When you play the sport you are just so close to it that your own experiences and situations cloud what is going on sometimes...it's like the fish swimming in the fish bowl...do you think they know the grand scheme of things? Or the people looking from outside the tank?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

It makes me laugh to hear people say things like this - in my opinion most of these guys know the least about football. When you play the sport you are just so close to it that your own experiences and situations cloud what is going on sometimes...it's like the fish swimming in the fish bowl...do you think they know the grand scheme of things? Or the people looking from outside the tank?  

Kudos amigo - you figured out my point. The guy was literally getting flustered telling me that since I never played the game that I could have no opinion to talk about it. He also went on to say that only Ex-NFL guys should only be analysts...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Kudos amigo - you figured out my point. The guy was literally getting flustered telling me that since I never played the game that I could have no opinion to talk about it. He also went on to say that only Ex-NFL guys should only be analysts...

Actually, I do understand the guy to a certain extent. I'm a big sports fan, not just a football fan. Yes, one can learn a lot from watching a sport. But there are many tactics and nuances you learn from playing the game that do not translate from simple viewership.

When it comes to, say, soccer, it is nearly impossible for me to tell a good player from a really good player, or a really good player from an excellent player.

I have loved the Bruins since I was 5 years old and watched them for more than three decades, but I have never made a single post on the Bruins forum (other than congratulations messages). The reason is that I have never played hockey; I don't feel as in tune with the intricate aspects of the game as those who know it intimately. I prefer to listen to them.

Having played organized baseball and football from Pee Wee/Little League to high school varsity levels, however, I do have insight into those games (although certainly nowhere near what a major college or NFL player or coach would have). But it is extremely easy for me to identify posters on this board who have never actually played organized football.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

considering some of the people I have known and the way Mankind acts as a whole at times I think yeah maybe the fish do see things better and clearer than we do

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Not my words - just quoting what was told to me last night at a Dunkin Donuts as I was having coffee by a guy who in his own words "knows the game because in the 60s he had a TRYOUT for the KC Chiefs"and "Anybody who has never played college ball or had a pro team tryout,  doesnt  know anything about the game and cant talk about it" So then I mentioned that if Belichick didnt do either, how could he be a head coach?? At that point the guy got up and left....

Didn't we used to have a poster here who claimed he played Div 1 football so no one was allowed to argue with his opinions?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Didn't we used to have a poster here who claimed he played Div 1 football so no one was allowed to argue with his opinions?

The guy was a legend in his own mind...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Football-Trivia-General-2550/Pro-Football-coaches-Pro.htm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think that if you have never played the game there are some instances you really shouldn't comment about.  You don't have to have been a college star or tried out for a NFL team, but having played at some point gives some validation to what you are talking about when it comes to what that position player might see or go through, the physical part of it and even mental part of that position.  

But I'm not saying someone who has never played the game can't comment on other aspects of the game.  If they study the game then by all means they may know a ton about football and could even be a great coach.

Does that make sense?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

What was the discussion about?  Was this when you told him in the first Houston meeting NE would lose by 14?

lmao

you always have to start something dont you queenie?

if someone says hello u would start an argument

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

Actually, I do understand the guy to a certain extent. I'm a big sports fan, not just a football fan. Yes, one can learn a lot from watching a sport. But there are many tactics and nuances you learn from playing the game that do not translate from simple viewership.

When it comes to, say, soccer, it is nearly impossible for me to tell a good player from a really good player, or a really good player from an excellent player.

I have loved the Bruins since I was 5 years old and watched them for more than three decades, but I have never made a single post on the Bruins forum (other than congratulations messages). The reason is that I have never played hockey; I don't feel as in tune with the intricate aspects of the game as those who know it intimately. I prefer to listen to them.

Having played organized baseball and football from Pee Wee/Little League to high school varsity levels, however, I do have insight into those games (although certainly nowhere near what a major college or NFL player or coach would have). But it is extremely easy for me to identify posters on this board who have never actually played organized football.

well said. I agree

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

hey ccsjl, was the guys name Leon? Leon claims to have played Oline for a div.1 team. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Using a homeless person as a food taster?   That's cold man

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

what was it Al Bundy used to say?

" I once scored 4 touchdowns in one game for my high school team"

Sections
Shortcuts