Norv Turner & AJ Smith fired...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Norv Turner & AJ Smith fired...

I have never said a good word about Norv, the coach with the longest tenure in the NFL among all sub-.500 coaches.  I thank him for the second rounder he coughed up to the Patriots for a bad third round pick.  I thank him for coughing up Randy Moss while he was at Oakland.  So, in a Patriots way, I'll miss the guy because he was good for something, for the other team. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Norv Turner & AJ Smith fired...:
    [QUOTE]Andy Reid to SD.  Philly desperately needs an overhaul in the coaching department.  Reid is one one the best coaches out there but definitely needs a change of scenery.  
    Posted by jrcahill[/QUOTE]

Andy Reid is going to be retained in Philly. No way that the Eagles cut him lose. They'll end up firing their DC, though...and might send DeSean Jackson and A$ante Samuel packing.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Fisher -SD Cowher- NYG Chucky- STL Del Rio - MIN Obrien- JAX
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

The Giants will likely retain Tom Coughlin, if they beat Dallas on Sunday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I could never understand getting Norv and replacing Marty. Norv has won NOTHING ever. At least Marty was building something before Norv totally screwed it up. Although Marty has not won  SB he has won a whole lot more than Norv has or ever will.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

How about givin' some love to some brothers?

Jay Gruden or Rob Ryan

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Jay Gruden hasn't been doing it long enough in cincy. If he gets 10 + wins there then probably yes. I say 10+ cause they have Oaklands first rounder and should be able to plug some holes.
    Rob Ryan I think would be a good choice. I dont think his gums flap as much as his brothers and he is IMHO a pretty good D coordinator. I have a feeling that Marty Schott has been getting a few looks, he had a winning record. Maybe the Jets lol.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This a place that if I were a coach I'd love to go to. They have a quarterback, decent running game, big fast wideouts and it's a great place to live. There are more than a dozen teams that can make every correct draft and free agency move and it means next to nothing without the franchise quarterback - they have that - the guy that gets that job is going to look real smart.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

Doesnt matter who they get as long as BB is here. GO enjoy offseason

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Jdude,
    I wish i could say I feel for you bro but if that team had a good coach it'd be dangerous. There always seems to be something going on out there where the team has some crap excuse to underperform. They sell you on talent, they show hints of greatness but can't reel it in and sustain anything and that has to fall on the bossman.

Rivers has had his chances too and didn't do much with them so as far as I'm concerned he's a little hyped too.

Good luck on the offseason! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Norv Turner & AJ Smith fired...:
    [QUOTE]..better be the headline on Monday in SD. This a tired act to watch. NORV AFC Title game />1 playoff win over Peyton>playoffs, no win>9-7, no playoffs>this year 7-9.  AJ alienate 2 all-pros (LT BigMac, WR Vincent Jackson) & poor recent drafts Enough already! This question needs to be answered. Who will coach the Bolts next year?    My choice is Pete Charmichael or Chucky.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

I told you years ago that the Chargers would never win anything with Smith in charge. He is Vinny Cerrato West. You used to defend him. Glad you came around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I have never said a good word about Norv, the coach with the longest tenure in the NFL among all sub-.500 coaches.  I thank him for the second rounder he coughed up to the Patriots for a bad third round pick.  I thank him for coughing up Randy Moss while he was at Oakland.  So, in a Patriots way, I'll miss the guy because he was good for something, for the other team. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Not for nothing, but wasn't Lane Kiffen at the helm in Oakland when the Pats traded for Moss?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]This a place that if I were a coach I'd love to go to. They have a quarterback, decent running game, big fast wideouts and it's a great place to live. There are more than a dozen teams that can make every correct draft and free agency move and it means next to nothing without the franchise quarterback - they have that - the guy that gets that job is going to look real smart.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.  That's why I think one of the big names (Cowher or Gruden) come out of retirement for this job.  Not to mention the AFC West is the weakest division in the NFL. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Bout time for Norv. Maybe Wade Phillips would be a nice fit. Cowher wants something close to the east coast so he can get home to NC. I almost see him doing a college gig. Chucky I dont know about, never been a big fan. Look for the Pack coaches to get raided this year.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

keep them both. i want incompetency in the other orgs around the afc

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It's amazed me that Smith has kept his job.

He's done OK at player signings/draftings and trades, but the ego is outrageous.

He is responsible from going from a borderline coach, to a bad one who offers NO leadership: Two years in a row with Top 5 D and O and they S U C K! Totally undisciplined team.

He has totally failed at building a TEAM.

But, it's San Diego, does anyone even care out THERE? It's f r i g g i n 72 degrees and gorgeous year round.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

[QUOTE]It's amazed me that Smith has kept his job. He's done OK at player signings/draftings and trades, but the ego is outrageous. He is responsible from going from a borderline coach, to a bad one who offers NO leadership: Two years in a row with Top 5 D and O and they S U C K! Totally undisciplined team. He has totally failed at building a TEAM. But, it's San Diego, does anyone even care out THERE? It's f r i g g i n 72 degrees and gorgeous year round.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree that he has done OK at drafting. To me, the hallmark of his tenure has been to continuously reach in drafting. That's OK if the player turns out to be a significant contributor, but AJ has repeatedly reached for players that wind up being released. Buster Davis. Sammy Davis. Et al.

In a way, I feel bad for Turner. When he arrived, there was a lot of talent on the team, both offense and defense. AJ has systematically stripped the team of talent little by little. The results of the last two years are the proof. The team used to win more than they lost against the top tier teams of the league. Now they can only beat the bottom tier of the league. You can ony coach the players the GM provides. AJ has got to go. Along with Turner.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

perfect fit even jbolt agrees if you what I mean

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Rumor is current Patiots OC Bill O"Brien might me the lead candidate for the Bolts HC job.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]I have never said a good word about Norv, the coach with the longest tenure in the NFL among all sub-.500 coaches.  I thank him for the second rounder he coughed up to the Patriots for a bad third round pick.  I thank him for coughing up Randy Moss while he was at Oakland.  So, in a Patriots way, I'll miss the guy because he was good for something, for the other team. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
     Norv, to his credit, is 48-31 in SD 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

ALL-

Fill it in as you predict it will be:
    KC- Romeo
    JAX- Norv
    Min-Del Rio
    Mia-Linehan or Charmichael or Ferentz 
    SD- Fisher
    StL-Chucky
    NYG-Cowher
    CLE- Shumur remains
    PHI- Reid remains
    TB- Charmichael or Philbin

Your pix?
    KC- 
    JAX-
    Min-
    Mia- 
    SD- 
    StL-
    NYG-
    CLE- 
    TB- 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

If AJ Smith stays it will not be Bill Cowher. Cowher and Schottenheimer are tight and Cowher apparently has let it be known that he would never work for Smith. It's reported constantly by the SD media that Cowher will not work for Smith. Gruden apparently is close with Smith so that may be a possibility if Smith stays (or goes).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Norv Turner & AJ Smith fired...:
    [QUOTE]..better be the headline on Monday in SD. This a tired act to watch. NORV AFC Title game />1 playoff win over Peyton>playoffs, no win>9-7, no playoffs>this year 7-9.  AJ alienate 2 all-pros (LT BigMac, WR Vincent Jackson) & poor recent drafts Enough already! This question needs to be answered. Who will coach the Bolts next year?    My choice is Pete Charmichael or Chucky.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Bolt...the problems with the Chargers run deeper that the coach and/or the GM. The complete mentality of the team needs to be changed. The players on the Chargers, from Philip Rivers on down, accept losing. Accordingly, dropped passes, fumbles, stupid penalties, and mental mistakes are, and have been, accepted, as a normal consequence of playing the game.

The Chargers need butt-kicking, old fashioned, hard driving head coach.

When Vince Lombardi was hired by the Green Bay Packers, he stated something to the effect that, "I've never been associated with a loser...and I'm not going to start now. So, if you're not willing to do whatever it takes to win, get the hell out of here right now"

Lombardi went on to add, "gentlemen, we’re going to win some games. Do you know why? Because you are going to have confidence in me and my system. By being alert you are going to make fewer mistakes than your opponent. By working harder you are going to out-execute, out-block (and) out-tackle every team that comes your way.

"We are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."

Powerful stuff.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Norv Turner & AJ Smith fired... : I have to disagree that he has done OK at drafting. To me, the hallmark of his tenure has been to continuously reach in drafting. That's OK if the player turns out to be a significant contributor, but AJ has repeatedly reached for players that wind up being released. Buster Davis. Sammy Davis. Et al. In a way, I feel bad for Turner. When he arrived, there was a lot of talent on the team, both offense and defense. AJ has systematically stripped the team of talent little by little. The results of the last two years are the proof. The team used to win more than they lost against the top tier teams of the league. Now they can only beat the bottom tier of the league. You can ony coach the players the GM provides. AJ has got to go. Along with Turner.
    Posted by modod[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head:

Draft day trades:
    -Vick for LT and parts, drafted Brees same year.
    -Swapped Eli for Rivers and parts, and I believe got the better QB.
    -A bunch of picks to get Eric Weddle
    Drafted Michael Turner, and got picks for him
    Drafted Darren Sproles (and let him walk)
    Antonio Gates
    Vincent Jackson
    Cromartie
    Shaun Philips
    Ryan Matthews
    Kaeding
    Castillo
    and I'm sure there are a few lineman on both sides I'm not very familiar with

Just the above is "ok" for a 10 year period. It's on par with how the rest of the league does, it's certainly no better or worse than the Pats over that same period. Looking at that list I see 4 significant QBs (all but Rivers, ironically, technically drafted by SD), 3 significant RBs, an elite TE, elite WR, elite LB (Philips), overrated CB, good S, elite K, and solid DLineman. Really not that bad.

Even still, he's a j e r k and should go.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Jax needs to put butts in the seats.  So, they will NOT choose Norv.  My thought is Jax will try hard for Chucky.  They will try for the Chin, but I don't think he's buying it.  He may, I'm NOT sold on him going to NY due to the rabid media.  Let's face it, the guy had ONE long HC gig in a city that pretty much gives the HC a pass no matter what the record, my guess is he knows what NY is going to be like for the next few years and he doesn't want to jump into that blender right now.  He could build in Jax and obviously they don't pull guys quick, look how long the left that total doofus Del Rio in there.

Sections
Shortcuts