Norwegian Defensive Back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

Norwegian Defensive Back

Hey guys! My name is Brian Kangu, 20 years old from Norway! Ive been reading on the forum daily for 4 years, this post is not about the Patriots but i love the patriots so i guess that counts as something.

I just made a highlight video for the first time, i play safety. And id love to get some feedback on my video, and the skill that i portray or any weaknesses. I know that there are alot of people in here with good football knowledge thats why i came too seek some help when it comes from football. I am going to attend a college in Fall 2014 and i hope to play football at that school that i get admitted to.

My dream is to ultimately play college football and make it in the NFL. Being that i am from Norway and have only played football for about 7 years, i gotta steep hill to climb vs players in the US that have played football since they were kids. Thank you for your time, ill answer any questions! And id love some feedback aswell! Thank you!

Link to first highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfMA4nFdcmg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Norwegian Defensive Back

Hey Brian,

Not sure of the level of competition and the camera angle makes it tough to see the field and how a play develops, but based on what I can see:

Strengths:

Good read/react skills

Like the physicality

Like the effort/motor

Negatives:

Need to be more consistent with your pursuit angles to the football.

Good luck to you in your pursuits!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Kind of hard to watch the film, and I'll leave the advance scouting to the draft guys. But that said, I'm impressed!

First, you look like a player, willing, fast. Technique needs work, but that's to be expected. Also, impressed that you have the dream and the desire to make it and to improve. I hope you keep at it and keep us updated. It would be interesting to follow your journey to try and get a scholarship over here. Maybe someone on this board can make a call...?

Honestly I had no idea that they play organized football at what appears to be a decent level in Norway.  Pretty cool. With what's going on in this country with youth football being negatively impacted by concussion fears, we need all the talent sources we can find.

In  the meantime, do everything you can to get stronger and faster. Hope you have access to a good gym/trainer?  

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey Brian,

Not sure of the level of competition and the camera angle makes it tough to see the field and how a play develops, but based on what I can see:

Strengths:

Good read/react skills

Like the physicality

Like the effort/motor

Negatives:

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your feedback! It means a lot coming especially from you who is in my eyes the most knowledgable person when it comes to scouting and upcoming drafts! This league is second division, I played I. The second division because the University of Iowa wanted some footage so I became a member of the team to get some footage. I couldn't wait until the Senior Division one season started which starts in spring. Once again, thank you! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to BrianKangu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hey Brian,

Strengths:

Good read/react skills

Like the physicality

Like the effort/motor

Negatives:

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your feedback! It means a lot coming especially from you who is in my eyes the most knowledgable person when it comes to scouting and upcoming drafts! This league is second division, I played I. The second division because the University of Iowa wanted some footage so I became a member of the team to get some footage. I couldn't wait until the Senior Division one season started which starts in spring. Once again, thank you! 

[/QUOTE]

Happy to help, man!  

Were you able to get the tape/footage over to the Iowa staff?  They provide any feedback?  They've churned out plenty of quality DB's over the years, so that'd be a great opportunity for you!

Might even look into having somebody video tape the games for you from a better/higher angle to provide more quality footage?  Also, as Muzwell said, make speed/strength training a priority.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kind of hard to watch the film, and I'll leave the advance scouting to the draft guys. But that said, I'm impressed!

First, you look like a player, willing, fast. Technique needs work, but that's to be expected. Also, impressed that you have the dream and the desire to make it and to improve. I hope you keep at it and keep us updated. It would be interesting to follow your journey to try and get a scholarship over here. Maybe someone on this board can make a call...?

Honestly I had no idea that they play organized football at what appears to be a decent level in Norway.  Pretty cool. With what's going on in this country with youth football being negatively impacted by concussion fears, we need all the talent sources we can find.

In  the meantime, do everything you can to get stronger and faster. Hope you have access to a good gym/trainer?  

Good luck!

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Muzwell. I am so dedicated and willing to work, thats why I need to get to the US and learn how to play with the big boys. Football in Norway is on the rise, we are currently starting a National team to represent in Norway and I'm in the hunt for a roster space with a football camp coming up! 

Our strength and conditioning coach was a intern at Stanford so his regimen is heavily based on what they do. And I'm just putting in the hours and trying to evolve after every workout. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

[QUOTE]

Good luck!

[/QUOTE]

Here is one week of our programme

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hey Brian,

Strengths:

Good read/react skills

Like the physicality

Like the effort/motor

Negatives:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Happy to help, man!  

Were you able to get the tape/footage over to the Iowa staff?  They provide any feedback?  They've churned out plenty of quality DB's over the years, so that'd be a great opportunity for you!

Might even look into having somebody video tape the games for you from a better/higher angle to provide more quality footage?  Also, as Muzwell said, make speed/strength training a priority.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've sent them an email but they haven't responded yet. So I'm patiently waiting. I wasn't able to get a higher angle then I did, I'll also consider buying a wider lens. I'll make a new highlight video when the senior division one season is back, and also try and get some tape from when Norways national team in football are playing against Denmark in May. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hey Brian,

Strengths:

Good read/react skills

Like the physicality

Like the effort/motor

Negatives:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Happy to help, man!  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've sent them an email but they haven't responded yet. So I'm patiently waiting. I wasn't able to get a higher angle then I did, I'll also consider buying a wider lens. I'll make a new highlight video when the senior division one season is back, and also try and get some tape from when Norways national team in football are playing against Denmark in May. 

[/QUOTE]

I'd say send a friendly follow up email to the staff... ask if they've been able to review your tape and like your OP, ask for their feedback on your strengths and weaknesses... shows that you're willing take coaching/feedback and apply it to your game/game prep... coaches love that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good luck!

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Muzwell. I am so dedicated and willing to work, thats why I need to get to the US and learn how to play with the big boys. Football in Norway is on the rise, we are currently starting a National team to represent in Norway and I'm in the hunt for a roster space with a football camp coming up! 

Our strength and conditioning coach was a intern at Stanford so his regimen is heavily based on what they do. And I'm just putting in the hours and trying to evolve after every workout. 

[/QUOTE]

Won't find many tougher programs than Stanford and they've routinely been able to take lower rated HS players and turn them into quality college players, so listen to what he has to say.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hey Brian,

Strengths:

Good read/react skills

Like the physicality

Like the effort/motor

Negatives:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Happy to help, man!  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd say send a friendly follow up email to the staff... ask if they've been able to review your tape and like your OP, ask for their feedback on your strengths and weaknesses... shows that you're willing take coaching/feedback and apply it to your game/game prep... coaches love that.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll do that straight away. Im also applying to the university of Arizona, i sent someone in the coaching staff an email about football and the admissions office regarding my application they haven't answered yet but im waiting on one. Regardless if I don't spark enough interest I'll showcase myself to either the Hawkeyes and the Wildcats to prove myself. I've also been thinking about traveling to the us to maybe attend a camp, would that be a good idea? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hey Brian,

Strengths:

Good read/react skills

Like the physicality

Like the effort/motor

Negatives:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Happy to help, man!  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll do that straight away. Im also applying to the university of Arizona, i sent someone in the coaching staff an email about football and the admissions office regarding my application they haven't answered yet but im waiting on one. Regardless if I don't spark enough interest I'll showcase myself to either the Hawkeyes and the Wildcats to prove myself. I've also been thinking about traveling to the us to maybe attend a camp, would that be a good idea? 

[/QUOTE]

I'd highly recommend attending a camp... a lot of times, big time programs (like Iowa and Arizona) will have camps in the summer, giving them a chance to evaluate a player in person, and maybe even offer. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Brian, this is not something I'm an expert on but you might also want to look into smaller schools over here, if you're not already doing that? Iowa and Arizona are major conference teams that might be harder to get into. I'm sure the Stanford coach can help with that. Not saying you shouldn't continue to try, but I'm thinking you might have an easier time getting into a UMass or a New Hampshire, for example, than an Iowa. You could always transfer later.

In addition to your physical training (which looks great), I assume you're doing well academically? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

[QUOTE]

Brian, this is not something I'm an expert on but you might also want to look into smaller schools over here, if you're not already doing that? Iowa and Arizona are major conference teams that might be harder to get into. I'm sure the Stanford coach can help with that. Not saying you shouldn't continue to try, but I'm thinking you might have an easier time getting into a UMass or a New Hampshire, for example, than an Iowa. You could always transfer later.

In addition to your physical training (which looks great), I assume you're doing well academically? 

[/QUOTE]

I've definitely thought about it but I only had a handful of schools to chose from because Norway only provides financial aid to certain schools. And out of all the schools I found that the University of Arizona, University of Iowa, University of Washington and University of north Carolina at chapel hill that had the highest acceptance rate. Which of these schools are the "smallest" or easiest to get on the football team? 

When it comes to the academic part I am above average, but very good when it comes to classes that I like. 

Here's a list of the schools that is provided financial aid for, for all the years you are in school

Arizona State University (AZ)  Boston University (MA) [2] Brown University (RI) California Institute of Technology (CA) Carnegie Mellon University (PA) Case Western Reserve University (OH) Columbia University (NY) Cornell University (NY) Dartmouth College (NH) Duke University (NC) Emory University (GA) Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) (GA) Harvard University (MA) Indiana University, Bloomington (IN) Johns Hopkins University (MD) Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT (MA) Michigan State University (MI) New York University (NY) Northwestern University (IL) Ohio State University (OH) Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (DC) Pennsylvania State University, University Park (PA) Princeton University (NJ) Purdue (IN) Rice University, Houston (TX) Rutgers, the State University of NJ (NJ) Stanford University (CA) Texas A&M University (TX) Tufts University (MA) University of Arizona (AZ) (fra og med høsten 2013) University of Chicago (IL) University of Colorado, Boulder (CO) University of Florida (FL) University of Illinois – Urbana – Champaign (IL) University of Iowa (IA) University of Maryland (MD) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (MI) University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (MN) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (NC) University of Notre Dame (IN) University of Pennsylvania (PA) University of Pittsburgh (PA) University of Rochester (NY) University of Southern California (CA) University of Texas, Austin (TX) University of Virginia (VA) University of Washington, Seattle (WA) University of Wisconsin, Madison (WI) UoC [3] Berkeley (CA) UoC Davis (CA) UoC Irvine (CA) UoC San Diego (CA) UoC Santa Barbara (CA) UoC UCLA (CA) Vanderbilt University (TN) Washington University in St. Louis (MO) Yale University (CT)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Would like to know what your speed is?

Strengths:

Read and react skills seem to be very good.

Good motor.

This is what impresses me the most is you don't take any wasted steps which is probably due to your good read and react skills.

Good in run support

Plays loose

Athletic

Need work on:

Angles

Need more size, at  5'11 200lbs would be ideal going into college.

Work on speed

Work on ball skills.  Looked like you wanted to make the hit to separate the receiver from the ball, in a few of those plays you could have used your hands to knock the ball away instead.

Looking good, keep up the hard work.  Good luck and keep us informed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Very cool Brian!

I was going to say something similar to Muzwell.   I'm not qualified to judge your skills, but I like your passion.  

Don't rule out the FCS schools.  Here's a link for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_programs

Ask yourself:  Do you want to be on the roster (but not playing) for a major program, or getting lots of playing time for a smaller school?  Plenty of the NFL greats went to smaller schools.

Good Luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

Here's a list of the schools that is provided financial aid for, for all the years you are in school

Arizona State University (AZ)  Boston University (MA) [2] Brown University (RI) California Institute of Technology (CA) Carnegie Mellon University (PA) Case Western Reserve University (OH) Columbia University (NY) Cornell University (NY) Dartmouth College (NH) Duke University (NC) Emory University (GA) Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) (GA) Harvard University (MA) Indiana University, Bloomington (IN) Johns Hopkins University (MD) Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT (MA) Michigan State University (MI) New York University (NY) Northwestern University (IL) Ohio State University (OH) Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (DC) Pennsylvania State University, University Park (PA) Princeton University (NJ) Purdue (IN) Rice University, Houston (TX) Rutgers, the State University of NJ (NJ) Stanford University (CA) Texas A&M University (TX) Tufts University (MA) University of Arizona (AZ) (fra og med høsten 2013) University of Chicago (IL) University of Colorado, Boulder (CO) University of Florida (FL) University of Illinois – Urbana – Champaign (IL) University of Iowa (IA) University of Maryland (MD) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (MI) University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (MN) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (NC) University of Notre Dame (IN) University of Pennsylvania (PA) University of Pittsburgh (PA) University of Rochester (NY) University of Southern California (CA) University of Texas, Austin (TX) University of Virginia (VA) University of Washington, Seattle (WA) University of Wisconsin, Madison (WI) UoC [3] Berkeley (CA) UoC Davis (CA) UoC Irvine (CA) UoC San Diego (CA) UoC Santa Barbara (CA) UoC UCLA (CA) Vanderbilt University (TN) Washington University in St. Louis (MO) Yale University (CT)[/QUOTE]

Another note Brian.  When you say that "financial aid" is provided at these schools, I assume that does not mean a full scholarship.  Am I wrong? I've highlighted some of the schools that I know to be very, very, expensive.  So, even if you get 1/3 of tuition in Financial Aid the other 2/3 might still be a lot more than what you'd pay at some FCS schools.  Then factor in the cost of living in a major US city like NYC vs. a smaller college setting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agree with above posters, don't get discouraged if division 1-A schools don't come knocking, even some of the best highschool players over here have to prove themselves at JR college or division 2 schools, if you stand out there it will be easy enough to transfer.

Another thing I would add is to play as much cornerback as you can in practice and in real game situations, even if your favorite position is safety, the more you play corner the better at man coverage you'll become, the better you'll learn what the players playing next to you are doing and overall it will make you a better safety. 

I would also agree that at or near 200 pounds is a nice playing weight for your height, I would also seriously concentrate on agility drills and jumping (plyometrics).  Straightline speed is nice but fast in four directions is what you need to be, play special teams, become a gunner on kickoffs and make tackles, learn how to look at somebodies midsection when tackling and not their head, most of all play low to the ground, take your strength from the ground and don't play "tall," it will keep you from blowing out knees, lastly don't hit with your head and good luck.  Keep us up to date.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would like to know what your speed is?

Strengths:

Read and react skills seem to be very good.

Good motor.

This is what impresses me the most is you don't take any wasted steps which is probably due to your good read and react skills.

Good in run support

Plays loose

Athletic

Need work on:

Angles

Need more size, at  5'11 200lbs would be ideal going into college.

Work on speed

Work on ball skills.  Looked like you wanted to make the hit to separate the receiver from the ball, in a few of those plays you could have used your hands to knock the ball away instead.

Looking good, keep up the hard work.  Good luck and keep us informed.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know the numbers on the 40, 3 cone or L drill but I was the fastest on the team I know that doesent really give you any insight but yeah. 

And my weight is bothering me the most I weighed 191 when I was on a dirty bulk, but I'm having a hard time gaining weight while on a clean bulk and even with 500 cal surplus. My weight is always in the back of my head and something I'm working very hard on. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very cool Brian!

I was going to say something similar to Muzwell.   I'm not qualified to judge your skills, but I like your passion.  

Don't rule out the FCS schools.  Here's a link for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_programs

Ask yourself:  Do you want to be on the roster (but not playing) for a major program, or getting lots of playing time for a smaller school?  Plenty of the NFL greats went to smaller schools.

Good Luck!

[/QUOTE]

I'd rather be playing the majority of snaps at a smaller school! Thank you I'll look in to FCS schools!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Agree with above posters, don't get discouraged if division 1-A schools don't come knocking, even some of the best highschool players over here have to prove themselves at JR college or division 2 schools, if you stand out there it will be easy enough to transfer.

Another thing I would add is to play as much cornerback as you can in practice and in real game situations, even if your favorite position is safety, the more you play corner the better at man coverage you'll become, the better you'll learn what the players playing next to you are doing and overall it will make you a better safety. 

I would also agree that at or near 200 pounds is a nice playing weight for your height, I would also seriously concentrate on agility drills and jumping (plyometrics).  Straightline speed is nice but fast in four directions is what you need to be, play special teams, become a gunner on kickoffs and make tackles, learn how to look at somebodies midsection when tackling and not their head, most of all play low to the ground, take your strength from the ground and don't play "tall," it will keep you from blowing out knees, lastly don't hit with your head and good luck.  Keep us up to date.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Wozzy you got som very good posts on this board so thank you for your feedback! 

I used to play safety before, but this team that I played for thought there was more value of me playing safety instead of a person who isn't as experienced as I am in that position. I was the best suited As we had many CB's and and no safeties. 

Jumping wise I got a 9'2" broad jump without any jumping training. But with our new coach with a regimen based on the one they have at Stanford i bet the plyos are coming. I play gunner at Kickoff. Thank you very much I'll work on it all! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

hey brian, why the pats of any team may i ask?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Arizona State University (AZ)  Boston University (MA) [2] Brown University (RI) California Institute of Technology (CA) Carnegie Mellon University (PA) Case Western Reserve University (OH) Columbia University (NY) Cornell University (NY) Dartmouth College (NH) Duke University (NC) Emory University (GA) Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) (GA) Harvard University (MA) Indiana University, Bloomington (IN) Johns Hopkins University (MD) Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT (MA) Michigan State University (MI) New York University (NY) Northwestern University (IL) Ohio State University (OH) Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (DC) Pennsylvania State University, University Park (PA) Princeton University (NJ) Purdue (IN) Rice University, Houston (TX) Rutgers, the State University of NJ (NJ) Stanford University (CA) Texas A&M University (TX) Tufts University (MA) University of Arizona (AZ) (fra og med høsten 2013) University of Chicago (IL) University of Colorado, Boulder (CO) University of Florida (FL) University of Illinois – Urbana – Champaign (IL) University of Iowa (IA) University of Maryland (MD) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (MI) University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (MN) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (NC) University of Notre Dame (IN) University of Pennsylvania (PA) University of Pittsburgh (PA) University of Rochester (NY) University of Southern California (CA) University of Texas, Austin (TX) University of Virginia (VA) University of Washington, Seattle (WA) University of Wisconsin, Madison (WI) UoC [3] Berkeley (CA) UoC Davis (CA) UoC Irvine (CA) UoC San Diego (CA) UoC Santa Barbara (CA) UoC UCLA (CA) Vanderbilt University (TN) Washington University in St. Louis (MO) Yale University (CT)[/QUOTE]

Another note Brian.  When you say that "financial aid" is provided at these schools, I assume that does not mean a full scholarship.  Am I wrong? I've highlighted some of the schools that I know to be very, very, expensive.  So, even if you get 1/3 of tuition in Financial Aid the other 2/3 might still be a lot more than what you'd pay at some FCS schools.  Then factor in the cost of living in a major US city like NYC vs. a smaller college setting.

[/QUOTE]

Financial aid means full scholarship. Boston university requires a SAT which is too challenging for every Norwegian in my eyes. I had an American teacher who said that the SAT is almost hardest thing you'll ever do, you got Pre SATs and work so much in primary and high school to get a good score so I took a TOEFL test which I got a fairly good score on. Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, MIT, Princeton University, Stanford University, Tuffts University, University Of Pennsylvania and Yale University. That's all the schools Require a SAT. But University of Iowa, University of Arizona, University of Washington and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill  tuition cost under 25k and are average to easy to get into. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to NYPatsFan12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

hey brian, why the pats of any team may i ask?

[/QUOTE]

Simply because I liked the logo and a friend of mine did too, and I didn't know anything about the NFL about that time, and it also happens to be the year they went 16-0 pretty random right. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

we dont speak of that season

Sections
Shortcuts