Norwegian Defensive Back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

Re: Norwegian Defensive Back

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to BrianKangu's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

Hi, everyone! There were some people here who wanted to know how it goes in the future when it comes to football! And since there is no current event in the NFL happening now i thought i might pop in here and let you know!

This is also the first time ive had a injury, ive played the season with shin splints and it has really limited me to only 1 practice a week because of the pain. I also got my season cut short when i fractured my ankle during a tackle in game 4.(Injured myself during the last clip of the highlight video). Ive had surgery and had some screws and plates put in, and i am currently 3 1/2 weeks removed from surger.

Good to hear back from you buddy, videos look great.

The cure for shin splints, cramping and overall muscle soreness is pickle juice.  Assuming you're drinking enough water, which should be gallons if you're in 2 a days, you're replacing the fluids you lose but not the sodium.  

The vinegar from the pickle juice will break up the lactic acid build up in your muscles and replace the salt.  Sounds silly but it works along with mad calf raises and exercise.

Really? I've been going to the team chiropractor for painful treatments just to find out that pickle juice is the cure to shin splints? If rest won't heal my shin splints I'll try some pickle juice, thanks for the advice! 

Congratulations for your progress! Injuries are awful, sorry to hear about your ankle but it should heal well enough for you to continue. Don't stop trying to come over here to a U.S. university or college , you have plenty of time given your age and obvious physical skills. I've never heard Wozzy's suggested "pickle juice" cure before but anything has to be better then surgery for shin splints which can be  called for if nothing else works.

Keep playing and keep your dream alive! Good luck!

Thank you! Yeah injuries like a fractured ankle isn't something I could avoid, but it's the first time I've broke something so I just have to get stronger from this experience. I am definitely not giving up, trying to see if my coach can help me get in contact with any schools in the US. So hopefully he can help me with the first steps of the way. Or if anybody in here knew anybody who is a coach. As long as I get there, how I get there doesn't matter. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

I want to send my highlight video to some schools, but don't really know which ones to send to. I am not going to send it to the big schools like Bama, gators, noles, lsu, ducks and so on. I was thinking to send them to D1 schools but in a "smaller" conference something like Southland Conference. What other conferences would be relevant for me? Any tips on that? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I want to send my highlight video to some schools, but don't really know which ones to send to. I am not going to send it to the big schools like Bama, gators, noles, lsu, ducks and so on. I was thinking to send them to D1 schools but in a "smaller" conference something like Southland Conference. What other conferences would be relevant for me? Any tips on that? 

There are a lot.  FCS schools may be a good start.   Big Sky conference schools like Eastern Washington and Montana have very good programs.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Guilford  College in Greensboro, North Carolina. Member of Old Dominion Athletic Conference might be one to contact.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

As someone who coached - and focused on D - there are some things you need to work on. For starters and while it is clear you are aggressive you need to learn how to tackle. I don't mean that disrespectfully but you need to. I saw a lot of grabbing and throwing elbows. No wrapping up at all. One of your tackles you grabbed a RBs arm and tossed him to the ground. You made the play. Good. But a stronger player would have gone right by you. You need to learn to wrap up and drive. This is even more important when you are the last line of defense.

The mindset to do this right is to accept that you are playing tackle and not grab or flag. Use your natural aggressive play to get you to use your body properly. Your approach should be "this is our field, this is my space. If you bring the football here you will pay... you will be brought down... not hit (everyone hits)... brought down and hard. Take ownership of the turf. And use your WHOLE body to enforce the rule. Arms are no where near enough. Put the player on their back. Hit them hard enough to knock the ball out. Every time.

That is where I would start. Learn the proper techniques and make them second nature to you. Then as you focus on other aspects of the game you will do so from a base of strength. But if you dont know how to tackle it wont much matter what angle you take or how fast you close.

Do this one thing and do it great. It will make everything you do more meaningful on the field.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

If you would prefer a cooler climate, I would suggest three schools in New  Hampshire with differing levels of academics and football  Dartmouth College, in Hanover New Hampshire, University of New Hampshire, Durham, N.H. , and Plymouth State University, in Plymouth, N.H.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

As someone who coached - and focused on D - there are some things you need to work on. For starters and while it is clear you are aggressive you need to learn how to tackle. I don't mean that disrespectfully but you need to. I saw a lot of grabbing and throwing elbows. No wrapping up at all. One of your tackles you grabbed a RBs arm and tossed him to the ground. You made the play. Good. But a stronger player would have gone right by you. You need to learn to wrap up and drive. This is even more important when you are the last line of defense.

The mindset to do this right is to accept that you are playing tackle and not grab or flag. Use your natural aggressive play to get you to use your body properly. Your approach should be "this is our field, this is my space. If you bring the football here you will pay... you will be brought down... not hit (everyone hits)... brought down and hard. Take ownership of the turf. And use your WHOLE body to enforce the rule. Arms are no where near enough. Put the player on their back. Hit them hard enough to knock the ball out. Every time.

That is where I would start. Learn the proper techniques and make them second nature to you. Then as you focus on other aspects of the game you will do so from a base of strength. But if you dont know how to tackle it wont much matter what angle you take or how fast you close.

Do this one thing and do it great. It will make everything you do more meaningful on the field.

That play was made a year ago, I am a much better player than that, but I am not near where I want to be.

This is one main thing I want to improve on, I just want to make tackles where is just hit their soul out of them, drive and slam em like William Moore did on the rams TE. Hit them backwards like Calvin Pryor. I tend to hit bigger backs or wr low because I know that if I try and go for the hit I'll be trucked right over, that's why I tend to go for the "safer" option. I think it starts with tackling technique, power and my weight I weigh 192lbs but I need more power. As I am injured now you get a lot of time to think about the season and how you can better yourself. Thanks for reminding me that I need to work on this. I'll watch some highlight videos of some sure tackling, hard hitting db's. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to billge's comment:

If you would prefer a cooler climate, I would suggest three schools in New  Hampshire with differing levels of academics and football  Dartmouth College, in Hanover New Hampshire, University of New Hampshire, Durham, N.H. , and Plymouth State University, in Plymouth, N.H.

Living in Norway all my life I would love to live a place where the climate is anything better than Norway 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Then Guilford

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

Hey Guys! 

Last time i was here i think i still was on crutches.... My ankle is now 90%, i havent regained the power in my ankle so turning my hips and running with the WR is very hard for me now and It really showed when i was at the National Team Camp. The camp was a up & down experience but i learned alot! After the camp i managed to overload my hip resulting in hip bursitis. So im missing valuable practice with the team, and the season starts in 5 weeks. 

Other then that im still trying to play in the US. And ive realised you cant get that done by living in Norway so ive decided to put all my eggs in one basket and simply just go to the US. I can choose to leave in August or early 2016. From a football perspective what would be the best choice? The season starts when i want to go to the US. So would i be better of coming in January/February so that they have "time" for me. The longer i wait the more football i miss since we have our offseason when the football season starts. 

Im basically coming to the US to go to try-outs, i understand that they are in the summer or am i wrong? 
    once i get there its easier to get in contact with people/coaches/schools.

I have a friend Kaare Vedvik he is a norwegian kicker who plays for the Marshall Thundering Herd, he is gonna show my tape to their recruiting coach once they get one since they recently fired their recruiting coach. 

I just concated my National teams coach so that he could give me tape of myself during individual drills so that coaches can see how i practice. So that ill have game footage and practice footage. 

Which state has the most schools? I want to come to a place where i can visit plenty of schools within the state to make it cheaper for me so i dont have to fly across the US. 

I appreciate any answers!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I once had a Girl isn't it good, Norwegian Wood.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

I once had a Girl isn't it good, Norwegian Wood.

very good

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Brian

It sounds like a great story line for a film: a young foreign athelete wants to come to USA to play college ball but has a broken angle, bursitis, no experience or coaching in an American system and no contacts! Just motivation to succeed. 

I suggest you write about your experience as it unfolds. It could be the "Hoop Dreams" of football.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Not being a US citizen might very well mean that you would not get the discounted rate at a state school even if you were living in that state. I am just not sure. But if you find that is not the case you might try California. (1) good state schools (2) lots of state schools across a very big state (3) good weather - you had mentioned liking the idea of warmer weather (4) both north and south parts of the state are very nice in their own ways.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

Brian

It sounds like a great story line for a film: a young foreign athelete wants to come to USA to play college ball but has a broken angle, bursitis, no experience or coaching in an American system and no contacts! Just motivation to succeed. 

I suggest you write about your experience as it unfolds. It could be the "Hoop Dreams" of football.

Ive actually thought about that, like someone should document my journey as it happens. But maybe I'll write down as stuff comes up and happens! And one more thing my to a add to my "Hoop dreams"  is that i just received a email from our HC saying I made then game day roster vs Poland who we are playing in May! 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Brian

Ive actually thought about that, like someone should document my journey as it happens. But maybe I'll write down as stuff comes up and happens! And one more thing my to a add to my "Hoop dreams"  is that i just received a email from our HC saying I made then game day roster vs Poland who we are playing in May! 

with the world of social media it is very easy to find msg boards and blogs where u can interact with students from other countries playing at US colleges so get all the information you can from them regardless of school or sport. Its also very easy to get your video out there. I know a guy who has a program that allows him to email several coaches and/or ADs at once, it has the ability to upload video and still shots and it has built in auto responder to follow up. I can get the name of the program and what it costs if u like and u can start sending out your resume and video hilites. I would start on the Div III level and work up if the interest is there. If u are good and have the commitment you will be found

BRIAN

42/46 is correct; Ross Tucker (former Princeton grad and NE Patriot) has started a video upload service for coaches and players to connect. See link:  http://www.gobigrecruiting.com/

Furthermore, your story is compelling and someone might wish to tell it via documentary or film.

And can you post video on Youtube to the match vs. Poland so we can watch it?

http://www.gobigrecruiting.com/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

Brian

with the world of social media it is very easy to find msg boards and blogs where u can interact with students from other countries playing at US colleges so get all the information you can from them regardless of school or sport. Its also very easy to get your video out there. I know a guy who has a program that allows him to email several coaches and/or ADs at once, it has the ability to upload video and still shots and it has built in auto responder to follow up. I can get the name of the program and what it costs if u like and u can start sending out your resume and video hilites. I would start on the Div III level and work up if the interest is there. If u are good and have the commitment you will be found

Id appreciate that! Thanks for your reply

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

Brian

BRIAN

42/46 is correct; Ross Tucker (former Princeton grad and NE Patriot) has started a video upload service for coaches and players to connect. See link:  http://www.gobigrecruiting.com/

Furthermore, your story is compelling and someone might wish to tell it via documentary or film.

And can you post video on Youtube to the match vs. Poland so we can watch it?

http://www.gobigrecruiting.com/

I just signed up for the site, i also uploaded my highlight video on there. Is it a good site? I know slot of recruiting sites but are they any good? 

Yeah I wish someone would make a story on me, it would also Spotlight the sport and possibly make it bigger. Maybe I should send a tv channel a email and see if they might be interested! 

Ill definetley post it, and I'll post it on this thread! 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:

Hey guys! My name is Brian Kangu, 20 years old from Norway! Ive been reading on the forum daily for 4 years, this post is not about the Patriots but i love the patriots so i guess that counts as something.

I just made a highlight video for the first time, i play safety. And id love to get some feedback on my video, and the skill that i portray or any weaknesses. I know that there are alot of people in here with good football knowledge thats why i came too seek some help when it comes from football. I am going to attend a college in Fall 2014 and i hope to play football at that school that i get admitted to.

My dream is to ultimately play college football and make it in the NFL. Being that i am from Norway and have only played football for about 7 years, i gotta steep hill to climb vs players in the US that have played football since they were kids. Thank you for your time, ill answer any questions! And id love some feedback aswell! Thank you!

Link to first highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfMA4nFdcmg

In order:

1. Footwork- You need to be on your toes far more often- too heavy/flat-footed; And planting better upon redirecting your momentum upon your initial diagnoses of play-direction/changes OF play-direction, and first step redirecting therein.

2. Tackling/Hitting- You ARE THE hardest hitter generating THE most momentum on the field- Get that in your f'in' head.  The term you are in dire need of when laying the smack on an opponent is=Reckless Abandon.  You will hurt them, they cannot hurt you, you have to hurt them, they are weaker & they are attempting to take too many liberties and gains from you.  This is unacceptable.  When lowerer, -and now "lowerer with an unimpeded mindset" -wrap up better....think punch, not push with your body hit....think swipe, and grab, and swipe and claw entanglement, NOT "wrap" -when finishing therein with your arms.

3. Hips- fluidity/sinking down into them-  BOTH.  Sink better into your hips and bvtt, swivel and open up your hips more...your redirect/push off after diagnoses is losing quickness in large part not just for footwork, but because you need to sink into your tush better- And your more lateral changess of direction are losing speed due to a need for better hip swivel;  In otherwords, your hips, and bvtt, and lowerback needs to stretch, open up, and lengthen.

1. Try rope chords and high-stepping; skipping, hopping, high kneeing on your tippie-toes on the tredmill (better on your knees).  2. Get a heavy bag- Use elbows, backhands, shoulders, uppercuts, full momentum hooks; Use a heavy/bigger tackling dummy; Alter your mind/mental mindset most of all.  3.  Do yoga; Get/Use an inexpensive inversion table.   

I actually am flat footed so maybe that has something to do with I! But thank you very much for your in depth analysis. I take everything you guys say here and put em to work, I'll work on opening my hips after lifting today! Thanks again!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3738674/highlights/151878375/v2

if this is you bro, you def. got some talent as a safety as you like to hit and play agressive. Come up quick in run support. Im not much of a scout and the field looks a little different but keep working hard and anything can happen. Good Luck on your football career.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Here's a list of the schools that is provided financial aid for, for all the years you are in school

Arizona State University (AZ)  Boston University (MA) [2] Brown University (RI) California Institute of Technology (CA) Carnegie Mellon University (PA) Case Western Reserve University (OH) Columbia University (NY) Cornell University (NY) Dartmouth College (NH) Duke University (NC) Emory University (GA) Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) (GA) Harvard University (MA) Indiana University, Bloomington (IN) Johns Hopkins University (MD) Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT (MA) Michigan State University (MI) New York University (NY) Northwestern University (IL) Ohio State University (OH) Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (DC) Pennsylvania State University, University Park (PA) Princeton University (NJ) Purdue (IN) Rice University, Houston (TX) Rutgers, the State University of NJ (NJ) Stanford University (CA) Texas A&M University (TX) Tufts University (MA) University of Arizona (AZ) (fra og med høsten 2013) University of Chicago (IL) University of Colorado, Boulder (CO) University of Florida (FL) University of Illinois – Urbana – Champaign (IL) University of Iowa (IA) University of Maryland (MD) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (MI) University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (MN) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (NC) University of Notre Dame (IN) University of Pennsylvania (PA) University of Pittsburgh (PA) University of Rochester (NY) University of Southern California (CA) University of Texas, Austin (TX) University of Virginia (VA) University of Washington, Seattle (WA) University of Wisconsin, Madison (WI) UoC [3] Berkeley (CA) UoC Davis (CA) UoC Irvine (CA) UoC San Diego (CA) UoC Santa Barbara (CA) UoC UCLA (CA) Vanderbilt University (TN) Washington University in St. Louis (MO) Yale University (CT)

Another note Brian.  When you say that "financial aid" is provided at these schools, I assume that does not mean a full scholarship.  Am I wrong? I've highlighted some of the schools that I know to be very, very, expensive.  So, even if you get 1/3 of tuition in Financial Aid the other 2/3 might still be a lot more than what you'd pay at some FCS schools.  Then factor in the cost of living in a major US city like NYC vs. a smaller college setting.

Financial aid means full scholarship. Boston university requires a SAT which is too challenging for every Norwegian in my eyes. I had an American teacher who said that the SAT is almost hardest thing you'll ever do, you got Pre SATs and work so much in primary and high school to get a good score so I took a TOEFL test which I got a fairly good score on. Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, MIT, Princeton University, Stanford University, Tuffts University, University Of Pennsylvania and Yale University. That's all the schools Require a SAT. But University of Iowa, University of Arizona, University of Washington and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill  tuition cost under 25k and are average to easy to get into. 

U of Washington is a safety factory. Lawyer Milloy was a legend here who attended..Good guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianKangu. Show BrianKangu's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3738674/highlights/151878375/v2

if this is you bro, you def. got some talent as a safety as you like to hit and play agressive. Come up quick in run support. Im not much of a scout and the field looks a little different but keep working hard and anything can happen. Good Luck on your football career.

Yes that's me. Thank you, that makes me excited to hear! I'll keep grinding, thanks a lot. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

Have you ever been to Voss? They have a bronze statue of native son Knute Rockne.

Sections
Shortcuts