Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yellowsubmarine. Show yellowsubmarine's posts

Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?

I hate people who hate the second Star Wars Trilogy (Ep 1-3) for no apparent reason... It is as if they just want something to be disapproving of so they rant about these episodes, I would argue, to a fault... I personally think that episodes 1-6 work well together and, to me Episodes 1-3 tell more of a story that do 4-6. In my opinon neither is perfect, and they only help each other.

Annoys me to no end. You are allowed your opinion, but unless you have a reason for it, just shut it and don't watch the ones you dislike.

Haha sorry guys... Closet nerd in me. That, and it is the BYE WEEK! GO PATS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Re: Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?

Lol...I dislike all 6 of them to be honest. I've had about 15 people try and make a fan of me. Just not happening

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?:
    [QUOTE]I hate people who hate the second Star Wars Trilogy (Ep 1-3) for no apparent reason... It is as if they just want something to be disapproving of so they rant about these episodes, I would argue, to a fault... I personally think that episodes 1-6 work well together and, to me Episodes 1-3 tell more of a story that do 4-6. In my opinon neither is perfect, and they only help each other. Annoys me to no end. You are allowed your opinion, but unless you have a reason for it, just shut it and don't watch the ones you dislike. Haha sorry guys... Closet nerd in me. That, and it is the BYE WEEK! GO PATS!
    Posted by yellowsubmarine[/QUOTE]

LOL, be honest they weren't as good as 4-6, they were a bit hokey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Episodes 1-3 tell more of an epic story than do 4-6.  4-6 is almost a fairy tale, with the ragtag group of rebels taking on the omnipotent and sinister Empire.  Episodes 1-3 takes the almost exact opposite approach, showing the decay of a once mighty Republic.

I agree that 1-3 tells a better story, but 4-6 were executed better.  Lucas' cheesy and unrealistic dialogue fits better in "fairy tale" than "serious epic."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yellowsubmarine. Show yellowsubmarine's posts

In Response to Re: Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?:
    [QUOTE]Episodes 1-3 tell more of an epic story than do 4-6.  4-6 is almost a fairy tale, with the ragtag group of rebels taking on the omnipotent and sinister Empire.  Episodes 1-3 takes the almost exact opposite approach, showing the decay of a once mighty Republic. I agree that 1-3 tells a better story, but 4-6 were executed better.  Lucas' cheesy and unrealistic dialogue fits better in "fairy tale" than "serious epic."
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]
    I think you nailed it. If Ep 1-3 were executed as 4-6 were they would have been great.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

1-3 are terrible compared to 4-6.  The plot is too convoluted because there was wayyyyyyyy too much emphasis on the improvements in graphics tech since the originals and not enough time spent developing a coherent story.  Also Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman were terrible as was kid Anakin and don't get me started on Jar Jar Binks.  So much potential wasted imo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Did you know the reason Lucas waited so long to make the last three was that he was waiting for his divorce to finalize so she wouldn't get that money as well. Otherwise there may have been more continuity with all of them?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Re: Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?:
    [QUOTE]Did you know the reason Lucas waited so long to make the last three was that he was waiting for his divorce to finalize so she wouldn't get that money as well. Otherwise there may have been more continuity with all of them?
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I gotta give him props for just that alone....Good Shyt Lucas!  M.O.B. All Day!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I will elaborate on my previous post.

In the first movie I thought the entire trade federation blockade plot was overly complicated.  It was always going to be difficult to get all of the characters together that needed to be in a reasonable way and there needed to be a reason for Palpatine to ascend to power before taking over, but I think they could have done better.  Also I thought there was way too much time spent on Tatooine and while the pod racing was neat it was a pretty big chunk of the movie.  I found kid Anakin and Jar Jar Binks to be both extremely annoying and in the case of Jar Jar he didn't even have to exist (at least not in the capacity that he did).

The whole orchestrated war with the droid and clone armies I also thought was sort of convoluted.  It wasn't a terrible idea, but I thought the script didn't make it incredibly clear what was going on.  I think Hayden Christensen is a terrible actor and George Lucas cannot write a love scene to save his life.

My biggest issue with the 3rd movie was how unconvincing Anakin's conversion to the dark side was.  He was basically talked to for like 2 minutes and decided to change his mind (it again did not help that Hayden Christensen blows).  Also I thought the whole foreseeing Padme's death as the reason to turn was poorly conceived.  The whole point was that he was supposed to be doing something EVIL in his thirst for power which makes his redemption in Return of the Jedi that much more powerful.  I thought the route they took made him much too sympathetic of a character.  Finally I thought the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was not well choreographed.  It just felt like the same moves over and over again which might have been okay if the dialogue was better or the fight was shorter.  The duel with Darth Maul in the 1st was much better.

Sorry for the rant, but you totally got me going in geek mode with this thread.  I don't hate movies 1-3, but as others have mentioned I felt like a lot was left on the table in terms of execution.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yellowsubmarine. Show yellowsubmarine's posts

[QUOTE]I will elaborate on my previous post. In the first movie I thought the entire trade federation blockade plot was overly complicated.  It was always going to be difficult to get all of the characters together that needed to be in a reasonable way and there needed to be a reason for Palpatine to ascend to power before taking over, but I think they could have done better.  Also I thought there was way too much time spent on Tatooine and while the pod racing was neat it was a pretty big chunk of the movie.  I found kid Anakin and Jar Jar Binks to be both extremely annoying and in the case of Jar Jar he didn't even have to exist (at least not in the capacity that he did). The whole orchestrated war with the droid and clone armies I also thought was sort of convoluted.  It wasn't a terrible idea, but I thought the script didn't make it incredibly clear what was going on.  I think Hayden Christensen is a terrible actor and George Lucas cannot write a love scene to save his life. My biggest issue with the 3rd movie was how unconvincing Anakin's conversion to the dark side was.  He was basically talked to for like 2 minutes and decided to change his mind (it again did not help that Hayden Christensen blows).  Also I thought the whole foreseeing Padme's death as the reason to turn was poorly conceived.  The whole point was that he was supposed to be doing something EVIL in his thirst for power which makes his redemption in Return of the Jedi that much more powerful.  I thought the route they took made him much too sympathetic of a character.  Finally I thought the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was not well choreographed.  It just felt like the same moves over and over again which might have been okay if the dialogue was better or the fight was shorter.  The duel with Darth Maul in the 1st was much better. Sorry for the rant, but you totally got me going in geek mode with this thread.  I don't hate movies 1-3, but as others have mentioned I felt like a lot was left on the table in terms of execution.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]
    I agree that they weren't perfectly executed... And you are the opposite of the person I am talking about, one who has no reason for disliking the prequel trilogy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Most assinine thread ever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Most assinine thread ever.
    Posted by coolade2[/QUOTE]

Actually I like the thread. That's what makes these forums better then most, because we expand beyond the realm of football into other subject lines.

Just stay away from politic, religion, and the great pumpkin

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Samuel L. Jackson HAD to have a PURPLE lightsaber (one word or two?)
    4-6 were great 1-3 not even worth watching IMO. I wonder if they'll ever be remade like so many classics usually are

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

what's star wars?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Here's my take on it... The entirety of the hexolgy is worth watching. Without the first 3 episodes we don't fully understand what happened to to young Anakin to make him Vader. Furthermore, with 1-3 we learn about the prophecy of the chosen one, that one Jedi will bring balance to the Force.

When Anakin becomes Vader, we believe that the prophecy was false, or at the very least that Qui-Gon was wrong about Anakin being the chosen one. It is not until Return of the Jedi, that we learn that Qui-Gon was right all along, with Vader's self sacrifice, he brought balance to the Force and did not die Darth Vader, but as the Jedi Anakin Skywalker (hence the title Return of the Jedi).

Episodes 1-3 do alot for the storytelling of the entire saga. And I wholeheartedly back them as a part of the saga. People who think otherwise are holding on to some lame nostalgia and need to get over it IMO.

Sorry, nerd mode.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Hmmm.. this two week break to the next Pats game is driving some folks to post anything!  Good way to find out if any fans here do more than watch football?

By the way, I'll bite....   I am a Sci Fi fan and like them all...  the order of them is screwy, but, that is the way of John Lucas!  It is funny to see some apparent "back-ward" societies can have very futuristic stuff!  That is the great thing about sci-fi, the imagination can run rampant.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

As for the movies well ahh I was greatly offended by movies 1-3 as a sci-fi fan.

You see the great appeal for movies 4-6 for me was the Greek epic. It combined many elements of the American revolution, Roman empire, Greek tragedy, and even some WW2 aspects. The main focus of the movies was the story lines and the characters themselves. The special effects were crude at points and amazing at others but were secondary to the story itself.

For the movies 1-3 see the below:

Episode 1 - it was clearly a test bed for Lucas's new visual and audio effects as well as a way to increase viewership by trying to appeal to a younger audience. This was clear when Lucas made all theaters update their sound systems before they could play the movie. Add in jar jar binks (a character he admitted adding to appeal to young kids like a goofy character) and you have a sad movie. The story line was barely touched and it felt as if every character was just thrown in with no back stories and rushed to squeeze it into a single film. They would have been better off cutting back the effects, audio, and not trying to expand the fan base and concentrating on developing the characters story lines to begin with.

Episode 2 - Lucas saw his failure in episode 1 trying to expand the fan base but still tried to focus on the special effects and light saber duels. Again this is where he fails. He made the duels way to good. Compared to 4-6 Vader, the emperor, and luke combined wouldn't stand a chance against a single jedi's ability in episode 1-3. Then he turned it into a love story instead of building up the reason for the war in the first place. The whole star wars series and an epic of a chaotic government, tragedy and eventual redemption of the hero turned villain. The love interest shouldn't be the main force of an entire movie but more of an additional reason for his turning. The whole love aspect looked forced and poorly scripted.

Episode 3 - Lucas's faults in the previous 2 movies come to a head here. This movie almost appeared like he just wanted to tie up lose ends and close things up however, it just left a lot of question marks and more loose ends trying to connect episode 3 and 4.

The major faults I charge to him were that he had this new and exciting special effects studio that he felt the special effects were more important then the storyline. It's almost as if the storyline was just filler built around the effects. The effects were so good as a matter a fact it made episodes 1-3 almost look cheesy to the point were both lightsaber fighting style and technology itself took a big leap backwards from 1-3 to 4-6. The forced storyline was a slap in the face to those fans who wanted the Greek tragedy built up by 4-6 were only disappointed when it turned out to be a kiddy centric, emo, twisted heap tossed together to fill a hole which Locus only wanted to show how far special effects have come. I would have been much happier if he used the same effects as episodes 4-6 and concentrated on the tragedy itself 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?:
    [QUOTE]I hate people who hate the second Star Wars Trilogy (Ep 1-3) for no apparent reason... It is as if they just want something to be disapproving of so they rant about these episodes, I would argue, to a fault... I personally think that episodes 1-6 work well together and, to me Episodes 1-3 tell more of a story that do 4-6. In my opinon neither is perfect, and they only help each other. Annoys me to no end. You are allowed your opinion, but unless you have a reason for it, just shut it and don't watch the ones you dislike. Haha sorry guys... Closet nerd in me. That, and it is the BYE WEEK! GO PATS!
    Posted by yellowsubmarine[/QUOTE]

It was horrible.  George Lucas is a hokey storyteller who's skills were BEST showcased in American Graffitti.  The first two movies were barely passable, the third was only good because it wrapped it all up, and the second set was AWFUL.  Any bit of dialog more than two lines long was terrible.  If you don't think so, you are a blithering idiot with horrible second grade taste in movies.  I haven't seen a more putrid set of films.  The first part was only saved by the characters Quigon and Darth Maul, the rest is a horrid mess.  I'm vomiting JUST THINKING ABOUT YOUNG ANAKIN "I wonder what this button does?  WHOA!"  "THATS WHAT I CALL POD RACING!"  BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHGHCCHHHHHHHHFFFFFFFFFFKKKKKKKKKK

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Well to each his own, right? I personally like the saga as whole. All I know for sure is that Star Trek can go to hell.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off? : It was horrible.  George Lucas is a hokey storyteller who's skills were BEST showcased in American Graffitti.  The first two movies were barely passable, the third was only good because it wrapped it all up, and the second set was AWFUL.  Any bit of dialog more than two lines long was terrible.  If you don't think you, you are a blithering idiot with horrible second grade taste in movies.  I haven't seen a more putrid set of films.  The first part was only saved by the characters Quigon and Darth Maul, the rest is a horrid mess.  I'm vomiting JUST THINKING ABOUT YOUNG ANAKIN "I wonder what this button does?  WHOA!"  "THATS WHAT I CALL POD RACING!"  BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHGHCCHHHHHHHHFFFFFFFFFFKKKKKKKKKK
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]
    Chill dude haha. Damn.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

i hate the beatles

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

In which episode did Rex Ryan play Jabba the Hut?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think it's predictable why most people liked episodes 4-6 better:

1. Episodes 4-6 were cutting edge science fiction and special effects.  Apart from the old Star Trek, there really wasn't anything out there like it, and nothing touched the special effects of the time.  The genre as a whole was  definitely not as mainstream and not as mature as it is now.

2. In the time since episodes 4-6, the science fiction genere has come a long way.  Just the various Star Trek franchises alone made the genre mainstream and about as ordinary as a sitcom.  Special effects are also something we take for granted now.  They don't wow us like they used to.

3. We know what will ultimately happen in episodes 1-3.  We all knew what the ultimate disposition of the main characters would be.

As for those who deplore an "occasional" off topic thread, stop being prunes.  We can all walk and chew gum at the same time.  I don't think any of us need to be studying the tape of our next opponent or attending practice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gvegastim. Show gvegastim's posts

[QUOTE]In which episode did Rex Ryan play Jabba the Hut?
    Posted by JoeFoyFa

Somehow I Just KNEW Sexy Rexy was going to get tied into this thread!! Well done!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]what's star wars?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

Reality show about C list Actresses getting into cat fights over swag handouts at low tier Hollywood events.

Sections
Shortcuts