Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?

In Response to Re: Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?:
    I think it's predictable why most people liked episodes 4-6 better: 1. Episodes 4-6 were cutting edge science fiction and special effects.  Apart from the old Star Trek, there really wasn't anything out there like it, and nothing touched the special effects of the time.  The genre as a whole was  definitely not as mainstream and not as mature as it is now. 2. In the time since episodes 4-6, the science fiction genere has come a long way.  Just the various Star Trek franchises alone made the genre mainstream and about as ordinary as a sitcom.  Special effects are also something we take for granted now.  They don't wow us like they used to. 3. We know what will ultimately happen in episodes 1-3.  We all knew what the ultimate disposition of the main characters would be. As for those who deplore an "occasional" off topic thread, stop being prunes.  We can all walk and chew gum at the same time.  I don't think any of us need to be studying the tape of our next opponent or attending practice.
    Posted by carawaydj

I think it goes deeper then that. Episodes 4-6 had story lines and characters you wanted to win. Episodes 1-3 had weaker story lines and characters you hoped would just die already. Same reason everyone prefers the original indi's and hate the skull all flash and no substance. A great example is Serenity. A spin off movie of the failed tv show Firefly (I really miss it actually) Though the genre is nothing new the actually movie did quite well because it played to it's fan base and quality of story line no because of effects.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Let's dissect and analyze the matchups:

Darth Maul or Darth Vader.--Vader
    Princess Leia or Queen Amidala-- Leia
    Luke or Anakin---Luke
    Young Obi Wan or Old Ben--- Old Ben
    Jaba the hut or Jar Jar Binks-- Jaba
    Hans solo stands on his own and Yoda is a wash.

You gotta give the nod to the original although 1-3 are definitely worth watching. Also CarawayDJ hit the nail on the head when he said, We already know how episodes 1-3 are going to come out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From a person on the internet who's smarter and funnier than me.

You might be a Redneck Jedi Knight if:

Your Jedi robe is camouflage.

You ever uttered the phrase, "May the force be with y'all."

You have ever used the force in conjunction with fishing/bowling.

You have ever used your light saber to open a bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill.

At least one wing of your X-wing is primer colored.

You have bantha horns on the front of your landspeeder.

You describe the taste of an Ewok as "jus' like chicken."

You have ever had a B-wing up on blocks in your yard.

The worst part of spending time on planet Dagobah is "them dadgum skeeters."

Wookies are offended by your B.O.

You have ever used the force to get yourself another beer so you wouldn't have to wait for a commercial.

Your father has ever said to you, "Shoot, son, come on over to the dark side...it'll be a hoot!"

You have ever had your R-2 unit use its self-defense electro-shock thingy to get the barbecue grill to light.

You have a confederate flag painted on your flight helmet.

You ever fantasized about Princess Leia wearing Daisy Duke shorts.

You have the doors of your X-wing welded shut and you have to get in through the window.

You kinda think that Jabba the Hutt had a pretty good handle on how to treat his women.

You have ever accidentally referred to Darth Vader's evil empire "them damn Yankees."

You have a cousin who bears a strong resemblance to Chewbacca.

In your opinion, that Cee-Threepio fellow "just ain't right."

You suggested that they outfit the Millennium Falcon with a Lazy-Boy recliner.

The REAL reason you got into a fight in the cantina was because you ordered Bud Light...and they didn't have it.

You knew Princess Leia was your sister all along.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

The fact he cast a pretty boy actor to play Anakin instead of an actual good quality actor is pretty offensive I thought. It was probably just another ploy to increase the fan base by getting girls involved. I remember girls at my school going crazy over that idiot

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?:
    From a person on the internet who's smarter and funnier than me. You might be a Redneck Jedi Knight if: Your Jedi robe is camouflage. You ever uttered the phrase, "May the force be with y'all." You have ever used the force in conjunction with fishing/bowling. You have ever used your light saber to open a bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. At least one wing of your X-wing is primer colored. You have bantha horns on the front of your landspeeder. You describe the taste of an Ewok as "jus' like chicken." You have ever had a B-wing up on blocks in your yard. The worst part of spending time on planet Dagobah is "them dadgum skeeters." Wookies are offended by your B.O. You have ever used the force to get yourself another beer so you wouldn't have to wait for a commercial. Your father has ever said to you, "Shoot, son, come on over to the dark side...it'll be a hoot!" You have ever had your R-2 unit use its self-defense electro-shock thingy to get the barbecue grill to light. You have a confederate flag painted on your flight helmet. You ever fantasized about Princess Leia wearing Daisy Duke shorts. You have the doors of your X-wing welded shut and you have to get in through the window. You kinda think that Jabba the Hutt had a pretty good handle on how to treat his women. You have ever accidentally referred to Darth Vader's evil empire "them damn Yankees." You have a cousin who bears a strong resemblance to Chewbacca. In your opinion, that Cee-Threepio fellow "just ain't right." You suggested that they outfit the Millennium Falcon with a Lazy-Boy recliner. The REAL reason you got into a fight in the cantina was because you ordered Bud Light...and they didn't have it. You knew Princess Leia was your sister all along.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Mojo:  some of these were so darn funny I had to read them out loud to the family (New Englanders stationed in the south many times) - we about peed our pants at some of them, especially the R-2 lighting the BBQ grill - thanks for a humorous read.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I loathe REM. Also Pink Floyd. 

I hate tunes where some dude raps and some chick then sings the chorus. But I hate tone deaf rappers who use auto tune to sing more. but neither is as bad as Kesha.

Star wars 1-3 were pretty bad, especially the first one. And the guy who played young darth vader was a truly pathetic actor.

Star Trek (the original) rules.

In my opinion of course:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off? : Chill dude haha. Damn.
    Posted by oh-my-beard

LOL, sorry.  sore point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I loathe REM. Also Pink Floyd.  I hate tunes where some dude raps and some chick then sings the chorus. But I hate tone deaf rappers who use auto tune to sing more. but neither is as bad as Kesha. Star wars 1-3 were pretty bad, especially the first one. And the guy who played young darth vader was a truly pathetic actor. Star Trek (the original) rules. In my opinion of course:)
    Posted by BelichickDisciple

I love me some Pink FLoyd.... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Let's dissect and analyze the matchups: Darth Maul or Darth Vader.--Vader Princess Leia or Queen Amidala-- Leia Luke or Anakin---Luke Young Obi Wan or Old Ben--- Old Ben Jaba the hut or Jar Jar Binks-- Jaba Hans solo stands on his own and Yoda is a wash. You gotta give the nod to the original although 1-3 are definitely worth watching. Also CarawayDJ hit the nail on the head when he said, We already know how episodes 1-3 are going to come out.
    Posted by Rerun85

No way.  Darth Maul was better in every possible way.  They killed that cat off WAY to easily.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In Response to Re: Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off? : Just stay away from politic, religion, and the great pumpkin
    Posted by PatsEng

All three were central themes in the Star Wars series.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?:
    I hate people who hate the second Star Wars Trilogy (Ep 1-3) for no apparent reason... It is as if they just want something to be disapproving of so they rant about these episodes, I would argue, to a fault... I personally think that episodes 1-6 work well together and, to me Episodes 1-3 tell more of a story that do 4-6. In my opinon neither is perfect, and they only help each other. Annoys me to no end. You are allowed your opinion, but unless you have a reason for it, just shut it and don't watch the ones you dislike. Haha sorry guys... Closet nerd in me. That, and it is the BYE WEEK! GO PATS!
    Posted by yellowsubmarine

If you could just remove the facts that Star Wars Episodes 1-3, All had an overly generic sstory-line, with zero twists along their plot-lines, and whomever directed it drove even the good actors (Samuel L. Jackson, Natalie Portman) into offering the believability of their characters just as horrifically awful as the people who were just plain terrible actors to begin with (2 ex: young Vader, teenage Vader), and that it relied for any appeal whatsoever (maybe it was atrocious acting) primarily on special effects, and animation (as opposed to story-line, plot-line, acting ability, actors, relationship between actors), and finally that there really wasn't any unique, original, or even state-of-the art breakthroughs IN Episodes 1-3 animation/special effects technologies (as compared with Episodes 4-6 at their time)...Well, then I'm just sayin' IF you simply overlook these minor things, then Yea- Star Wars Episodes 1-3=Three pretty awesome movies...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

This is a bit off topic for this off topic thread but I just found out that they have Star Wars-Transformers crossovers. I found it interesting that they chose the Y-Wing Bomber as a figure because if i'm not mistaken those didn't appear in episodes 1-3 and one would assume today's youth are more familiar with those episodes

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

This is a bit off topic for this off topic thread but I just found out that they have Star Wars-Transformers crossovers. I found it interesting that they chose the Y-Wing Bomber as a figure because if i'm not mistaken those didn't appear in episodes 1-3 and one would assume today's youth are more familiar with those episodes
    Posted by patsfaninpa420

Someone told me awhile back that optimus prime was once able to finish the kessel run in under twelve parsecs...although with a time like that, personally I'd have to see it to believe it.  I mean, I ain't callin' the fella a liar, but I've never trusted that beady-eyed elephant lookin' freak who plays the flute from some sorta anteater-like snout, the very MINUTE he stepped into the local canteena.  And no way, 'cause I ain't prejudiced against against ALL elephant mutants...just those select few who have somehow managed to wander outta the degoba star system an' into my neck'a the woods.  Really, ya can surround my home with wookies as neighbors, every last one of'a 'em...but s'long as I live, better d#mn well keep this mutant elephant species outta my path, Jus' sayin' is all.     

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cb156. Show cb156's posts

I did not really care for 1-3, but I would point to #6 as the place where Lucas began introducing characters just for the cute factor (ewoks).
    The only thing I can say that I really found interesting about 1-3 was the large storyline:  when the first movie came out (the 1977 original), I remember hearing at that time that Vader was Luke's father, Leia was his sister, and that Vader had fought a lightsaber duel with Obi-Wan on a volcano and had fallen in, causing the need for the protective suit he wore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

no james bond movies this year ... it just wasnt the same...very dissapointed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Not at all Pats related, but do you know what pisses me off?:
    I hate people who hate the second Star Wars Trilogy (Ep 1-3) for no apparent reason... It is as if they just want something to be disapproving of so they rant about these episodes, I would argue, to a fault... I personally think that episodes 1-6 work well together and, to me Episodes 1-3 tell more of a story that do 4-6. In my opinon neither is perfect, and they only help each other. Annoys me to no end. You are allowed your opinion, but unless you have a reason for it, just shut it and don't watch the ones you dislike. Haha sorry guys... Closet nerd in me. That, and it is the BYE WEEK! GO PATS!
    Posted by yellowsubmarine

Don't like any of them! Just cartoons posing as films. If it wasn't for the fact that the first one was a big big step up in special effects at the time they made it in the 1970s the whole thing would be mostly overlooked.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

IV-VI had more of a mystical/spiritual theme.

I-III were mainly political commentary on the eventual decline of the American republic, and hence kinda boring.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I like the story of 1-3, but you have to admit the dialog is seriously awful through 100% of the love story portion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

There were things in the new movies i enjoyed, but ultimately hated as well.

For instance the Light saber fights were Top notch in the prequels. Qui gon and obi wan vs darth maul was epic, Every obi wan fight was incredible, And the end fight with anakin was great. However it in turn ruins the originals because the light saber fights in teh originals look TERRIBLE in comparison. The fights are slow and telegraphed and not at all very skillfull.

Anakin was terrible the Whiney Emoness coupled with the "oh i saved you again" kind of crap was really dull and took away from the epicness, The love story with padme was also really weird. How old is padme in the first movie? how old is anakin? I think she might be a pedophile.

Lets not even get into Jarjarbinks.

Overall i loved how badass the movies made obiwan out to be(he killed himself a fuckload of Sith) but ultimately the love portions just detracted from it. Lucas just doesnt know how to do a love story.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Does it really grind your gears?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

IV-VI had more of a mystical/spiritual theme. I-III were mainly political commentary on the eventual decline of the American republic, and hence kinda boring.
    Posted by mighty2012

Actually Mighty Lucas already said he based the rise of the empire from the republic during a time of war and eventual fall based of the Roman empire not off the American republic. Though there are a lot of similarities

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

My bad.  America is clearly not on the path toward becoming an evil empire.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

My bad.  America is clearly not on the path toward becoming an evil empire.
    Posted by mighty2012

Well I wouldn't say that, as I said there is a lot of similarities between the Roman empire and the American republic (which makes sense since the founding fathers based our system off of theirs). But, our republic hasn't turned the way the Roman empire did when Ceaser assumed control, quite yet at least. Just clarifying the mythos

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

So who do you think our Caesar/Palpatine will be? My money is on ... Rand Paul.  It's always who you least suspect.

Sections
Shortcuts