Not drafting a RB is the one negative

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Not drafting a RB is the one negative

I have with this draft. I think drafting an Anthony Dixon would have at least made things competitive with Maroney. I think by not letting Maroney feel "threatened" by a younger, hungrier pick was an opportunity lost myself. When you raise pigs, you get 2 of them. Why? They compete for the food and hence, get fatter (don't ask how I know that). Dwyer and Dixon slipped so far that I feel a lot of teams will regret not picking one of them. Brady got some much needed weapons but man, having a big brusing back with young legs would have provided such a compliment to our offense.

Hey, but I still trust BB and am happy with the picks. I've always thought something like a punter is something you get in free agency. But, getting one before either of these 2 good RB's baffles me. I've got to think BB has his eyes on a RB in the 1st round next year, after Maroney finally hits the hole and runs far away from NE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Not drafting a RB is the one negative

I was thinking the same thing but what I'm hoping is that a decent running back gets cut in the next few days. I'd also like them to bring in Faneca if possible. There should be some more activity in  the next week or so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Why would we need a RB.  We currently have the 31st ranked back, in Maroney, on our team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Would have been nice, but we're a passing team and Maroney, Morris, and Faulk make for a serviceable backfield.  Maybe we'll pick up a free agent who can help us a bit there.  I think RB is more of priority for next year when Maroney's contract is up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Maroney, Taylor, Morris, Faulk, BJGE. I think we have enough RBs. Next year, we can target a true stud RB, with the Oakland pick :-p

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Trade a third for that headcase in Buffalo, Lynch. Funny thing when talking about Maroney is that he's still young, problem is he'll never be any good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

If we went into September with our current backs, I'd be ok with it. I wouldn't be thrilled but I wouldn't be scared either. I think with more involvement from our tight ends, it'll have a better impact on our running game. Crumpler certainly adds to that as I watched him for years down here in Atlanta and Gronk will also be a great blocker.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Not drafting a RB is the one negative:
    Why would we need a RB.  We currently have the 31st ranked back, in Maroney, on our team.
    Posted by Tcal2

LOLTongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

When the Patriots won super bowls, they had big, reliable, RBs.

You can't win with Mauroney and the old folks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

maybe they can pick up Andre Dixon or Jarvaris James as UDFA's

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vinniedonuts1. Show vinniedonuts1's posts

lagarette blount would of been a nice addition

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanblaze. Show seanblaze's posts

I really don' think Bill likes drafting RB's.....They blow up in his face. RB's have such a short shelf life. Too many intangibles go into finding a good back. Bill likes his smart vet RB's that aren't flashy & don't fumble. Antawn Smith, Cory Dillion, Fred Taylor...Bill will find one out there. Washington is sitting on 3 vet Rb's. There's no way they keep them all. Rumor has it McFadden is on the block as well. Durable? No! Potential? Yes!

Ronnie Brown, Miami Dolphins (28) – (UFA-CBA)
    Ronnie Brown had been the key to the Dolphins offense which ran through him and the Wildcat. Prior to his second season-ending injury in three years (foot this year), Brown had returned to form to look like one of the league’s more talented backs. Brown’s combination of size, wiggle, instincts, and speed is elite. His top-end production and efficiency (4.4 average, 8 touchdowns) prior to the injury would have been enough of an incentive for Miami to extend Brown for another 3-4 years. He’s most likely to miss OTA’s next summer, but will be ready for the start of the 2010 season. Keep in mind Brown has an interesting option built into his contract. If the owners and the NFL Players Association reach a new deal before the deadline, Brown will become an unrestricted free agent. If 2010 is an uncapped season, Brown will see his $5 million option kick in.

Mike Bell, New Orleans Saints (27) – Restricted FA (UFA-CBA)
    Splitting time with Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell has been an effective inside power-runner for the Saints. Both Bell and Thomas provide a simple, but effective running game. If New Orleans unloads Reggie Bush’s $13.5 million cap charge by next season, they’ll have plenty of room to return Bell and Thomas, back to The Big Easy, while still having plenty of money left over. He could also become expendable if they decide to renegotiate with Reggie Bush and promote Lynell Hamilton to Bell’s role in the offense.

Pierre Thomas, New Orleans Saints (25) – Restricted FA
    After returning from injury that cost him a couple early games, Thomas has continued to be an effective and efficient part time runner for the Saints. He plays only between 40-50% of all snaps when healthy as part of a running back by committee, but has averaged 5.4 yards per carry over the course of the season with 7.7 per reception. He accumulated nearly 1100 yards from scrimmage and 8 touchdowns this season. He’s a nice compliment to Mike Bell, Brees, and the passing game. With a rumor looming of Reggie Bush’s departure this offseason due to an enormous cap number, the Saints should have more than enough money to re-sign the one time starter over Rashard Mendenhall at Illinois to a long deal. If talks fall through, the Saints will have the ability to offer him a high restricted tender in which the Saints will most likely be able to retain him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Maroney is in a contract year, isn't he? That should be incentive enough, not using a pick where we don't need to. We're in a much better position next year to capitalize on fresh RB talent in the draft higher up, and not have to pay a ton of money if they cap the rookie salaries.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I still don't like the fact that the Patriots have to substitute in order to get a complete skill set at running back.

They need a guy who can do it all so opponents have to respect the whole playbook on every play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i would have liked a back too, but i think that was one of the positions that this draft was really lacking. the fresno state guy looks like the only complete, elite player. the bills screwed up taking spiller so high, he's another reggie bush type. but hey, thats why the bills are the bills. and i love that the jets ditched leon washington for that bum mcknight. rexy is going to hate him. totall prima dona and opposite of tough in every way. 
    hopefully we can find a runner somewhere else before the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

I hope no one holds there breath thinking the pats are gonna sign a running back this year,not a diffrence maker anyways.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Although I'm not a Maroney fan, I can say that I'm comfortable with this (2011) projected runnning game for another season.  Personally, I'd like to see one player stay healthy; take the ball on a regular basis.  Of course, the Pats are sitting on a few picks in each of the first two rounds next year.  However, after 2011, it's time to acquire a steady guy to take the load.