Not happy about the result....

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Re: Not happy about the result....

Flash!  Patriots beat the crap out of Denver in Denver 41-23 about a month ago.  Does that not count for something...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Riding king... It never should have reached OT. Pittsburgh got its "lets not forget the refs gave a Superbowl to Steelers" call... Impossible to imagine how this dirty team keeps getting gift calls in their favor. By now officials have been trained to let the play go and let the challenge sort it out... Reminds me of the hocholi call except that one favored Denver over SD... Good thing Pittsburgh didn't win in the end. That final play must have had McDaniels chuckling... His first 2 draft picks of 2010 hooking up. D Thomas is a stud.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I was referring to the PAINFULLY OBVIOUS lateral/fumble recovered by Denver that was whistled dead and gave the ball back to Steelers. That blown call took a "guaranteed" 3 points ( maybe 7) away from Denver, the difference in the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Not happy about the result....:
    I'm not going to lie, I was pulling hard for the Steelers today. I really think that from a matchup standpoint they were an easier 'out' for New England. Just a few things that I noted: They have smaller, more finesse receivers compared to Denver's. Denver has bigger, more physical receivers, who tend to give the Pats' DB's fits. Denver also has a more unorthodox offense, one that I could see giving the young Patriots' defense some issues. Tebow, as of now, is a better QB than Roethlisberger, purely given their health. Tebow's improvising ability scares me, and the Patriots' pass-rush will have to be disciplined but also aggressive.  A number of other things, the Patriots always struggle against Denver, especially in the playoffs. Now I know that this game is in New England, and that does give me more confidence, but it's still something to note. Another thing to note is that we already beat Denver. It seems like the Pats have recently struggled against opponents that they beat earlier in the season. It was the case in 2009, when they beat the Ravens and then lost in the playoffs, and then in 2010, when they split with the Jets, and then lost in the playoffs to them. Overall, I'd much rather have faced Pitt than Denver, but it is what it is. Obviously the dominating win earlier in the season has to provide some confidence, and having McDaniels on our sideline, a guy familiar with Denver is also beneficial. I still have full confidence we'll win, but I wanted to get this off my chest.
    Posted by vertigho

Dude, Tebow is improving to be sure, but only four weeks ago, the Pat's D bewildered him, and will again this week. BB always has some unexpected wrinkles, and Tebow is still a young, inexperienced QB. All will be fine.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Not happy about the result....:
    In Response to Re: Not happy about the result.... : Wouldn''t you? Tebow has not been the greatest passer through the year. They forced him to beat them through the air and with 10 receptions and over 300 yards, he did. I do wonder what Belichickis going to do with this. Tebow still wasn't accurate, but the passig display today could be enough to beat the Pats. It may just come down to outscoring them.
    Posted by EnochRoot

BB will look at the tapes and do the smart thing--i.e force Tebow to throw over the middle. He still is very reluctant to throw into tight and double coverage, especially over the middle, and tends not to complete a lot of passes (like to lead the receiver too much so he is sure the DB can't get to the ball). BB will not allow Tebow to go deep like the Steelers did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

I get your concerns but I don't see BB and his team overlooking any of them. Yes players will have to execute on the filed, and the refs really are a wildcard. But Pats have BRADY, Gronk, Herendez, Welker, Branch, and and the team of RB's that can create yards. OL should be in beter shape, and defense has been great at creating take aways and only getting better. Denver is sloppy. Patriots are disciplines and very very talented. I'm sure they all jsut watched that game. Advantage- Pats.
    Posted by darwk

..... and they have a defense that couldn't stop my deceased Granny strapped to a gurney rolling uphill on a well iced street.

If they continually give up the middle of the field in large chunks, a la Pittsburgh, it'll be another long offseason. But, I guess that's OK with some posters here, as they DID win 13 games. LOL! A football team is judged by the LAST game they play. Let's hope it'll be the one in early February. But, I'm not blindly overly optimistic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: Not happy about the result....":
    In Response to Re: Not happy about the result.... : ..... and they have a defense that couldn't stop my deceased Granny strapped to a gurney rolling uphill on a well iced street. If they continually give up the middle of the field in large chunks, a la Pittsburgh, it'll be another long offseason. But, I guess that's OK with some posters here, as they DID win 13 games. LOL! A football team is judged by the LAST game they play. Let's hope it'll be the one in early February. But, I'm not blindly overly optimistic. Posted by AZPAT
    Overconfidence is never good ... BTW, weren't we arguing about something a couple months ago...?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I thought you were joking. After I realized you weren't I stopped reading-get a clue. Denver is much easier matchup. Do you think the spread would be anywhere near 13.5 points if the Pats were playing Pitt-nough said!   In Response to Not happy about the result....:
    I'm not going to lie, I was pulling hard for the Steelers today. I really think that from a matchup standpoint they were an easier 'out' for New England. Just a few things that I noted: They have smaller, more finesse receivers compared to Denver's. Denver has bigger, more physical receivers, who tend to give the Pats' DB's fits. Denver also has a more unorthodox offense, one that I could see giving the young Patriots' defense some issues. Tebow, as of now, is a better QB than Roethlisberger, purely given their health. Tebow's improvising ability scares me, and the Patriots' pass-rush will have to be disciplined but also aggressive.  A number of other things, the Patriots always struggle against Denver, especially in the playoffs. Now I know that this game is in New England, and that does give me more confidence, but it's still something to note. Another thing to note is that we already beat Denver. It seems like the Pats have recently struggled against opponents that they beat earlier in the season. It was the case in 2009, when they beat the Ravens and then lost in the playoffs, and then in 2010, when they split with the Jets, and then lost in the playoffs to them. Overall, I'd much rather have faced Pitt than Denver, but it is what it is. Obviously the dominating win earlier in the season has to provide some confidence, and having McDaniels on our sideline, a guy familiar with Denver is also beneficial. I still have full confidence we'll win, but I wanted to get this off my chest.
    Posted by vertigho

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Tebow was just 10 for 21.  Yes, lots of yards on a few throws, but Pittsburgh was giving him the deep part of the field. Keep safeties back and use the DLs and LBs to contain Tebow and you can shut that offense down fine, just like we did in Denver.  I think Pittsburgh overplayed the LOS and paid for that on a few throws.  Still, Denver scored only 23 in regulation and the Pats can easily exceed that scoring pace.   Personally, I think the Pats are very lucky to get Denver.  Not that Denver can't be dangerous--all the playoff teams can be--but Denver just isn't that good.  Their .500 record doesn't lie. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

agree with all your analysis-except "not all that good". clearly they can be good enough to beat just about anyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to "Re: Not happy about the result....": Good post and thanks for expanding on what I started to say about tebow. I just LOVE arguing with the ignorant haters and have to cringe listening to blowhards on ESPN radio like cowherd or van pelt who know nothing about the intangibles that you mention in your post and potential when you look at tebows raw football skills. His passing gets over criticized when it is improving (isn't that all you should ask of a QB starting his 12th game ?) and Simms was the first I think to give him credit for " a good throw away" which many of his ugly throws are due to receivers not getting separation. Agree that it's OK to appreciate players on opposing teams who play the game the right way as opposed to the Steelers injuring yet another player unnecessarily... really glad they are out I
    Posted by coolade2

thanks! great post.
    how many other rookie qbs are turning around a team that starts 1 and 4 and made it into the playoff championship game this year?
    kid is doing remarkably with what he has.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Riding king... It never should have reached OT. Pittsburgh got its "lets not forget the refs gave a Superbowl to Steelers" call... Impossible to imagine how this dirty team keeps getting gift calls in their favor. By now officials have been trained to let the play go and let the challenge sort it out... Reminds me of the hocholi call except that one favored Denver over SD... Good thing Pittsburgh didn't win in the end. That final play must have had McDaniels chuckling... His first 2 draft picks of 2010 hooking up. D Thomas is a stud.
    Posted by coolade2

how ironic,
       he drafts tebow and thomas in the first, now he comes back to pats to coach against them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Semi-agree.  It did appear that way in spots. I thought their LT literally held Miller all game long. Armbars deluxe right in front of the head ref.  However, once Bailey dropped that INT, I thought that would be enough for Pitt to pounce. They did, actually, but thankfully the coin toss was a help. Has anyone lost a game in OT from the first play from scrimmage like that?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

they were saying on tv,  fastest overtime ever.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Not happy about the result.... : Ah, yes.  Forgot abotu that.  The facemask was also a joke. Tebow had his head spun around on that one. People don't believe in conspiracies, but you have to wonder sometimes with some of these teams. I think we got literally one gift call all year which was the roughing on Brady via London Fletcher. Then you look at a Steelers game and other teams who get these unbelievable gift calls right when they need it and you just have to wonder.

tehy were grabbing tebows mask on nearly every run. i mean one set of downs they got it twice. yanked his head around, no call.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Pats were without Spikes and Chung which hurt their Run D in the first half of the first game. This is a gameplan game, meaning BB will have that good gameplan, NE will follow it and limit Denver. If Balt beats Houston, expect more of the same. It will be focus on Ray Rice, bracket Torry Smith and watch Ray Lewis try to chase Gronkowski or Welker. This is all about how the Pats want to play.  Trolls and jealous fans may not like the results.

Hi King, the blessing for the Pats is that none of these QBs are known as great passers as of right now, and actually neither was Brady way back then.  He won 3 SBs and never considered for MVP when in that first year for sure he was with no doubt the MVP of that league turning a team completely around and getting them into the playoffs and we know a true MVP has NOTHING to do w/ Stats.

Tebow has that ability, and if he can improve continuously as he has in the last few games as his offense is opening up, no telling what will happen.

And we all have to consider Brady in his last 3 playoff games, and he has been the reason we lost.

What makes him much better and more like the young 
    Brady and is the ONLY reason I feel we may win this whole thing is Brady finding his once great comeback skills!!

That one thing is the key to us winning a 4th SB!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Posted by coolade2

Coolade2  I grew up here and been in SF for 30 years, and until the past 10 years, the Pats were rarely on TV out there. Not very good teams.  I got use
    to liking the local teams and hating them at times, and everyone out here is from somewhere and have their own teams like Denver, NY etc.

Every single one of them gets ticked about the exact same things you are saying. Both teams get burned bar none, and not a lick of truth to anyone who says it his or her team only.  I got to where I even watch the Pats and every play no matter what call for either team, I always want the correct call. You and most fans get upset by bad Pats calls, but not once do fans like you who always complain about calls against ever say "wow that was a bad call on Carter on the blitz. He really grabbed Sanchez face mask; can;t believe they made that call and they should change it, and they really were wrong not calling giving the Jets that call after looking at the replay"!

Same with announcers. They tend to flow and praise or criticize teams according to the flow of the game.  When TB is flowing and the Pats are playing great, Simms will say all the things that make him great, and when he is not great later, and Sanchez is in the flow, Simms will say how great a clutch player he is at the end of games, and that he makes the plays when needed, much the way TB was years ago. Fans such as you expect that they praise the Pats and not the Jets, so put on the radio and listen to Gil and Gino!

Raider fans and Pats fans are the absolute worse in football, complaining about everything against us, and never realizing both teams get ripped off!!  We and the Raider fans are the most hated in football, and we are probably # 1 and not because we are good, but our arrogance!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

I thought you were joking. After I realized you weren't I stopped reading-get a clue. Denver is much easier matchup. Do you think the spread would be anywhere near 13.5 points if the Pats were playing Pitt-nough said!   In Response to Not happy about the result.... :
    Posted by jimmytantric

JimmyTantric - I agree w/ the spread thing, but not as sure as everyone else that with Tebow being let loose, it is hard to know. We beat them yes, and he tore up the best Dbackfield in football and injuries or not, they were far better than us.

But I do love Tebow's magic, and in many ways he has much of the old Brady at the end of games.

Go Pats

Tantra is profound my man!!  And much more than the bedroom!!  But great there! Was living in SF for years and it's cool to find that here! An awesome Path!

Excellent!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

In Response to Re: Not happy about the result.... : Did you just compare Pats fans to Raiders fans? 

Yes I did!  They are very similar, and that's why we hate each other.  Remember I 
    am not speaking of Raider fans you may know around here, but I am speaking of those that go to the games, it is their life just like us and we are just the same. I use to get in the exact same arguements and things just like here.

Actually WE are known by far as the worse fans, maybe even worse than New York fans.  Fans can't stand us.  NY fans have their way, but our arrogance takes the cake, and Raider fans are the same, but as a people they are not as arrogant, just as fans.

I have lived in San Francisco for 30 years, and I am a bartender in local taverns, so I know the real Raider fans from here, the always true blue fans, and yes many move here and become fans and are just as loyal and critical of their team as we are, and so many fans hate us and root against us.  And we are known at our home game that Pats are the most unsupportive fans of their team when they are behind. When we are down by say 10 or more points, and the team really needs our support, Pats fans are by far the most quiet, and many color men like Simms and many others say this all the time in their travels from city to city.  Where are the Pats fans when they need us, and not until we make a good play that MAYBE will get us going, but the fans do not get the Pats team fired up to make that play. The team makes the play and we get fired up!

Listen this is my team, Boston sports are my home,and always have been, so I am not saying how I feel, but what most fans think of us.  Raider fans are fun. You can tease them and play with them.

You can give it to me all you want!!  I am just telling you the perspective of us from fans around the country, and San Francisco has about the broadest fan base in the country with so many transplants.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

In Response to Not happy about the result....:
    I'm not going to lie, I was pulling hard for the Steelers today. I really think that from a matchup standpoint they were an easier 'out' for New England. Just a few things that I noted: They have smaller, more finesse receivers compared to Denver's. Denver has bigger, more physical receivers, who tend to give the Pats' DB's fits. Denver also has a more unorthodox offense, one that I could see giving the young Patriots' defense some issues. Tebow, as of now, is a better QB than Roethlisberger, purely given their health. Tebow's improvising ability scares me, and the Patriots' pass-rush will have to be disciplined but also aggressive.  A number of other things, the Patriots always struggle against Denver, especially in the playoffs. Now I know that this game is in New England, and that does give me more confidence, but it's still something to note. Another thing to note is that we already beat Denver. It seems like the Pats have recently struggled against opponents that they beat earlier in the season. It was the case in 2009, when they beat the Ravens and then lost in the playoffs, and then in 2010, when they split with the Jets, and then lost in the playoffs to them. Overall, I'd much rather have faced Pitt than Denver, but it is what it is. Obviously the dominating win earlier in the season has to provide some confidence, and having McDaniels on our sideline, a guy familiar with Denver is also beneficial. I still have full confidence we'll win, but I wanted to get this off my chest.s
    Posted by vertigho

Interesting take Vertigho. Nice post. However, I got to respectfully disagree on several points. My parents are visiting us from Maine and I remember remarking to my father that I thought Denver was a better matchup for the Pats. Here is why:

While I agree that Denver's WR's are more physical, I think the speed of Wallace and route running of Ward create more matchup problems for a suspect NE defense. Even though DMC has struggled all year, I think he is better fit against physical receivers than speedsters (assuming he plays CB and not safety).

Big Ben, as much as I don't like him, is a proven playoff QB. While he hasn't been successful at times, you can't argue that he is a 2 time SB champion. Another thing, I don't think his ankle is nearly as bad as it was being made out to be....either that or he got some really good painkillers that we all wish we could have prescribed.....cause it didn't look like he was feeling pain in the second half. Yeah, I realize the 3 man Denver pass rush was giving him more opportunity to step up in the pocket, but he looked way more mobile than he did in the first half. His experience outweighs Tebow's athlectism IMO.

James Harrison scares me more than Von Miller. I think Miller had a tremendous year, better than Harrison.....but there is something about Harrison that I think causes the Pats fits more than Dumerville and Miller. I can't stand this thug either, but he makes plays and again his experience outweighs Millers.

Also remember that Ryan Clark didn't play in the Denver game. He makes the Steeler defense better with him than without him.

I definately agree with you about beating a team twice. Probably one of the toughest things to do in the NFL, especially when one of those games are a playoff game. I've long maintained that if the Pats had not played the Giants in the regular season in 2007, we would have witnessed an undefeated season because I don't see the Giants beating us in the SB.

All in all, it is probably six of one, half a dozen of the other. But it does make for a great forum debate.

Thanks for your post.

Sections
Shortcuts