Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]RochieWBZ   Dan Roche   Jerod Mayo's MCL left knee injury expected to keep him out of the line-up for about a month  # wbz   # patriots
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

This is great news. I thought sprained knee initially, because it reminded me of when he hurt it a couple of years ago. Hopefully he's back by November and shakes the rust off before the games get interesting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

If I remember correctly he wasn't all that effective when he returned from his last knee injury.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

150 tackles a year = playmaker...this is terrible news.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

The good news is that Spikes looks like a leader on gameday. How about that hit had on DMF? I think it was the same play Mayo was hurt on. How do they not show a replay by the way? Awful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

The only two good things about this is the bye week in the middle of his recovery time and the fact that it will force both Spikes and Fletcher to gain experience playing in his spot...it may help bigtime by the end of the year...especially for Fletcher

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toocool9090. Show toocool9090's posts

1) I don't do fantasy football. In fact, I think the people that do fantasy football overvalue Mayo because of his "150 tackles". Bigs Stats!

2) Mayo is a solid tackler and he makes the plays he should make. Tackling is not playmaking. Do you know who leads the NFL in tackles right now? It is Pat Angerer of the last place Colts.

3) Bruschi was a playmaker. So was Harrison. Willie. Vrabel (although in the end he was more Mayo-like)

4) Mayo is not Revis. He is not Ware. He is good and we will miss him... but we will not lose games because Mayo did not play. 

Nonetheless, it is good that he will be back.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Typical fantasy football fan post. He leads the team in tackles. Whining about a lack of 'impact plays' just shows you don't know the real game at all.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Thankfully ... NE is playing mostly 43 defense. So they only need 3 linebackers. Spikes, Guyton, and Fletcher are good. NE's problem isn't their ILBs. They have ILB depth and talent in spades. 

The problem is cornerbacks and OLB/DEs. 

Those spots? Not so much.

Dowling OR Bodden have to get back and be good the next few weeks because Dez Bryant and Plax are rolling here, and those teams are going to test the perimeter here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

What about Lofa Tatupu in the mean time?

If not I think I'd rather see Dane fletcher on the inside with Guyton being situational and Spikes in on running downs..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This is a big loss, hopefully not for too long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]1) I don't do fantasy football. In fact, I think the people that do fantasy football overvalue Mayo because of his "150 tackles". Bigs Stats! 2) Mayo is a solid tackler and he makes the plays he should make. Tackling is not playmaking. Do you know who leads the NFL in tackles right now? It is Pat Angerer of the last place Colts. 3) Bruschi was a playmaker. So was Harrison. Willie. Vrabel (although in the end he was more Mayo-like) 4) Mayo is not Revis. He is not Ware. He is good and we will miss him... but we will not lose games because Mayo did not play.  Nonetheless, it is good that he will be back. In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :
    Posted by toocool9090[/QUOTE]

Toocool, I'll back off a bit, I do think Bruschi was more of a play maker then Mayo has been, although i think Mayo has more athleticism...however I don't think we ever send Mayo up the middle for a delayed blitz like we did with Tedy a lot.(like we did in preseason) Anyway, Mayo does a good job at playing middle LB, I guess that doesn't really mean he is a great play maker.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]What about Lofa Tatupu in the mean time? If not I think I'd rather see Dane fletcher on the inside with Guyton being situational and Spikes in on running downs..
    Posted by HOTBLITZ[/QUOTE]

could be interesting, has experience in the 4-3, how are his knees though?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You can't even START to compare Bruschi to Mayo. 

My gut does tell me Bruschi was a bigger playmaker ... but whatever evaluation you make is skewed. 

Mayo doesn't have Seymour, a young Warren, and Ted Washginton in front of him, alongside Vrabel and McGinest. 

Bruschi was "protected" in ways that Mayo is not. Most of the time Mayo is running around trying to tackle people that the other players let go. 

Bruschi couldn't babysit this defense any better than Mayo does.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

This will be a huge blow to an already battered and torn Defense.

Reading some posts, several people seem to think it is surprising that our 3rd down D is bad. With Mayo out, it will be even worse. We simply don't have a pass rush. We can't even get pressure on the QB. I mean c'mon, we have made Henne, Ryan Fitz, and Campbell look like top tier QB's all with 300 yard+ games.

And don't tell me it because of the Secondary. While they haven't been very good, they would be a solid secondary for most teams that are able to get some pressure on the QB.

If you watch the Ravens tonight, they get tremendous pressure on the QB. You don't always have to get a sack, but just making the QB move a step or two is all it takes. Brady had several throws that he overthrew simply because he had to step laterally or couldn't step into his throw because of the pressure.

The Pats haven't been able to do that. And with Mayo out, our ability to get pressure will be even more difficult. Even though they don't rush him all the time, the Pats will be forced to put someone less athletic on the field.

One poster mentioned the Pats being able to win shootouts.....yeah, most of the time we will. But shootouts come down to possessions and as we saw last week, any team can win in this league. A defense having to go 80 yards each possession makes it pretty difficult to be effective in the late 3rd and 4th Q's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Is Spikes really that slow?  What's really the deal here?  From what I read about him when he was drafted, he has the instincts and mean streak to be the leader on D.  If he can't get it done, we should draft someone who can.

I know Mayo is good, but there really isn't a LB on this team who scares people like Ray Lewis and Bart Scott do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

If Pats don't find a pass rush, it will be a problem down the line.  Mayo was supposed to provide that, has he?  Go Pats

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]Thankfully ... NE is playing mostly 43 defense. So they only need 3 linebackers. Spikes, Guyton, and Fletcher are good. NE's problem isn't their ILBs. They have ILB depth and talent in spades.  The problem is cornerbacks and OLB/DEs.  Those spots? Not so much. Dowling OR Bodden have to get back and be good the next few weeks because Dez Bryant and Plax are rolling here, and those teams are going to test the perimeter here.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I got to respectfully disagree Zbellino.

I don't think it is our OLB's and CB's as much as people think. Campbell, Henne, and Fitz have had to barely move against NE. You or I could hit receivers if we consistently had 4-6 seconds to throw every time.

I know you watched the game. Remember on a couple offensive series, Brady really over threw his receivers? I believe one was to Gronk and another to Welker. It wasn't because of a bad pattern by the WR or necessarily a bad "throw"....both those plays Brady had pressure and on one he had to take a step laterally and on the other he didn't step into his throw because he felt pressure coming. NE's DL and DE's have not been able to do that consistently. Which is why our 3rd down D is struggling again.

Don't get me wrong, McCourty and Company has not made a lot of plays. But I believe if you had Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis on the Pats, our secondary would be a top 7 secondary in the league. It doesn't have to be those two players, but two true pass rushers like either of those two coming off the ends with Wilfork and Haynesworth (if he ever plays again) in the middle......really tough to go against. We have, have, have to prevent our D from sustaining 70+ yard drives back to back to back. No matter how good your conditioning is, players can't sustain that drive to drive, quarter to quarter, game to game.

We really need to address our pass rush in the off season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Be a good time for someone to step up and deliver on D

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

[QUOTE]If Pats don't find a pass rush, it will be a problem down the line.  Mayo was supposed to provide that, has he?  Go Pats
    Posted by jsppro1[/QUOTE]

Who knows what everyone is supposed to provide.  I feel like the season hinges on whether or not Hanesworth will play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : I got to respectfully disagree Zbellino. I don't think it is our OLB's and CB's as much as people think. Campbell, Henne, and Fitz have had to barely move against NE. You or I could hit receivers if we consistently had 4-6 seconds to throw every time. I know you watched the game. Remember on a couple offensive series, Brady really over threw his receivers? I believe one was to Gronk and another to Welker. It wasn't because of a bad pattern by the WR or necessarily a bad "throw"....both those plays Brady had pressure and on one he had to take a step laterally and on the other he didn't step into his throw because he felt pressure coming. NE's DL and DE's have not been able to do that consistently. Which is why our 3rd down D is struggling again. Don't get me wrong, McCourty and Company has not made a lot of plays. But I believe if you had Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis on the Pats, our secondary would be a top 7 secondary in the league. It doesn't have to be those two players, but two true pass rushers like either of those two coming off the ends with Wilfork and Haynesworth (if he ever plays again) in the middle......really tough to go against. We have, have, have to prevent our D from sustaining 70+ yard drives back to back to back. No matter how good your conditioning is, players can't sustain that drive to drive, quarter to quarter, game to game. We really need to address our pass rush in the off season.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

I agree whole heartedly.  Using a good pash rush is one of the only ways to beat the Pats and we really can't get to the QB. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Mayo is a leader. The entire LB corps has to step up in his abscence.  Spikes and Fletcher looked good.

If you want a playmaking LB that gets sacks, INTs or makes gamechanging plays (see goal line stand or three and outs) LT, Ray Lewis, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Ray Nietzche may be five or six other guys with 20 Sacks and 20 INTs. We just lost one in Harrison.  So your argument is that Mayo is not Ray Lewis or Lawrence Taylor. Two Hall Fame players. Mayo is very much like Patrick Willis. A tackling machine that is always near the action and directing traffic. Both Lewis (Suggs, Scott, Boulware, Reed) LT (Martin, Pepper etc..)have had players that complement their style of play. Mayo's complementary players are still very young and you seem to be inferring that this makes him worse than teams that have experienced HOF-bound players in corps, in the secondary and on the line.

Lofa Tutopu another good player. Still, it's time for some one on the LB corps(not named Mayo to step up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : I got to respectfully disagree Zbellino. I don't think it is our OLB's and CB's as much as people think. Campbell, Henne, and Fitz have had to barely move against NE. You or I could hit receivers if we consistently had 4-6 seconds to throw every time. I know you watched the game. Remember on a couple offensive series, Brady really over threw his receivers? I believe one was to Gronk and another to Welker. It wasn't because of a bad pattern by the WR or necessarily a bad "throw"....both those plays Brady had pressure and on one he had to take a step laterally and on the other he didn't step into his throw because he felt pressure coming. NE's DL and DE's have not been able to do that consistently. Which is why our 3rd down D is struggling again. Don't get me wrong, McCourty and Company has not made a lot of plays. But I believe if you had Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis on the Pats, our secondary would be a top 7 secondary in the league. It doesn't have to be those two players, but two true pass rushers like either of those two coming off the ends with Wilfork and Haynesworth (if he ever plays again) in the middle......really tough to go against. We have, have, have to prevent our D from sustaining 70+ yard drives back to back to back. No matter how good your conditioning is, players can't sustain that drive to drive, quarter to quarter, game to game. We really need to address our pass rush in the off season.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

Very well put. It doesn't matter how good or bad a secondary is it starts at the DL. A great DL can make up for a poor secondary (our SB years how many JAG's did we have in the secondary?) and a weak DL can make the best secondary look simple (Jets are starting to see this now). I thought the key to the SD and Buf game's were forcing Fitz and Rivers from the pocket instead our interior pass rush couldn't get any pressure up the middle and a perfect pocket formed around the QB's. Edge rushers can be pushed around QB's if the interior rush is manhandled but if you need to bring extra blockers inside not only does that make a QB get happy feet but also frees up the outside rushers

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toocool9090. Show toocool9090's posts

Mayo is not Patrick Willis. I hate this comparison. Check the stats (Willis has a lot more tackles, sacks, forced fumbles, INTs - only played 1 more year). Willis is Ray Lewis, while Mayo is Keith Brooking in his prime.

Mayo is by far our best linebacker, but he is not as good as some of you make him out to be. 

And can our D get any worse anyways?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

After Brady, this is the guy you want least to go down.  With our D playing the way it has been thus far, this just couldn't be a bigger blow to the D.  I can only hope he'll be back very soon, but from what I'm hearing it's not looking promising. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]toocool is right, Mayo is a solid leader and player who make tackles and give opportunities for other players to make plays but he isn't a play maker. But on the reverse side play makers aren't always solid players (ie Dunlap, a play maker who gets sacks but you wouldn't rely on him to be a starter or be part of the run D). You need a healthy mix of both. Playmakers who can make that 1 game changing play and solid leaders who make the tackles and prevent scoring for the other 95% of the defensive plays.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Playmakers get burned too. Mayo is solid. Not many of those 'impact plays' but he leads in tackles because he's where he's supposed to be - where the football is

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Whatever the injury you can be sure he wikk not be back for awhile. Sad but time for some other guy to step in.