Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    Is Spikes really that slow?  What's really the deal here?  From what I read about him when he was drafted, he has the instincts and mean streak to be the leader on D.  If he can't get it done, we should draft someone who can. I know Mayo is good, but there really isn't a LB on this team who scares people like Ray Lewis and Bart Scott do.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

Bart Scott is all talk, that chump does not scare anyone. Ray Ray on the other hand is a different story.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Our D is doing what it did last year... play like crap for 98% of the time but make plays 2% of the time that bails them out.  Mayo is solid, but he is not a playmaker. We can continue doing what we are doing the rest of the season - no problem.  It is not like we are winning because of our D.
    Posted by toocool9090

2 true statements.

yes mayo not a playmaker. hes a tackling machine, but we're not talking tackle for loss guy here, were not talking pass defender here (against lbs) were not talking pass rush demon. he does what he does well. chase down players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

What they may of lost today is a very solid player that could and should be a playmaker if there was more of a supporting cast around him.
    Posted by mthurl

potentialy. ill give you that

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

I disagree on the raiders not being a test, number one rushing O? McFadden was held in check all game. Losing Mayo will hurt us, badly. It looked serious and I'm praying it wasn't. He is one of the most consistent defenders on this team and losing him will hurt a lot.
    Posted by GadisRKO

disagree that "McFadden was held in check all game. "

he broke off some good long runs. i wouldnt call that in check.

i dont know his total. had to work till now. but they didnt let him ring up 200 yds

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Fair enough on the test of our rushing defense.  We did pretty well against the rush--and they do have a good rushing offense.  In fact, we looked a lot better than those vaunted Jets.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

we didnt play the ravens. we find out next week if we are better than the jets on this given day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

I don't know, I think making a tackle is making a play.  But maybe I'm just old-fashioned.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

prolate
    thats just not what it means in thecurrent vernacular. it means game changing plays.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : I got to respectfully disagree Zbellino. I don't think it is our OLB's and CB's as much as people think. Campbell, Henne, and Fitz have had to barely move against NE. You or I could hit receivers if we consistently had 4-6 seconds to throw every time. I know you watched the game. Remember on a couple offensive series, Brady really over threw his receivers? I believe one was to Gronk and another to Welker. It wasn't because of a bad pattern by the WR or necessarily a bad "throw"....both those plays Brady had pressure and on one he had to take a step laterally and on the other he didn't step into his throw because he felt pressure coming. NE's DL and DE's have not been able to do that consistently. Which is why our 3rd down D is struggling again. Don't get me wrong, McCourty and Company has not made a lot of plays. But I believe if you had Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis on the Pats, our secondary would be a top 7 secondary in the league. It doesn't have to be those two players, but two true pass rushers like either of those two coming off the ends with Wilfork and Haynesworth (if he ever plays again) in the middle......really tough to go against. We have, have, have to prevent our D from sustaining 70+ yard drives back to back to back. No matter how good your conditioning is, players can't sustain that drive to drive, quarter to quarter, game to game. We really need to address our pass rush in the off season.
    Posted by 4Adam13

re:We really need to address our pass rush in the off season. "

how many years will that be our mantra; and will bb ever agree and do something about it.

seems like he tried this year, but after the draft

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

1) I don't do fantasy football. In fact, I think the people that do fantasy football overvalue Mayo because of his "150 tackles". Bigs Stats! 2) Mayo is a solid tackler and he makes the plays he should make. Tackling is not playmaking. Do you know who leads the NFL in tackles right now? It is Pat Angerer of the last place Colts. 3) Bruschi was a playmaker. So was Harrison. Willie. Vrabel (although in the end he was more Mayo-like) 4) Mayo is not Revis. He is not Ware. He is good and we will miss him... but we will not lose games because Mayo did not play.  Nonetheless, it is good that he will be back. In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :
    Posted by toocool9090

toocool im not sure you have a receptive audience. speaking a different language.  i hear you though, and im sure a few others do as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Spikes played very well yesterday.. He showed something that I haven't seen in him since he has been here.  Hopefully Spikes takes advantage of Mayo being out for a month or two. We'll see - We need guys to step up...here is Spikes' chance! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Mayo is not Patrick Willis. I hate this comparison. Check the stats (Willis has a lot more tackles, sacks, forced fumbles, INTs - only played 1 more year). Willis is Ray Lewis, while Mayo is Keith Brooking in his prime. Mayo is by far our best linebacker, but he is not as good as some of you make him out to be.  And can our D get any worse anyways?
    Posted by toocool9090

He's plenty good enough to answer your own question.  Their D is going to get a lot worse without Mayo. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

If Pats don't find a pass rush, it will be a problem down the line.  Mayo was supposed to provide that, has he?  Go Pats
    Posted by jsppro1

How was Mayo supposed to provide a pass rush? Maybe we send him as we did Bruschi on some delayed up the gut blitz's but your not gonna count on your MLB to give you a pass rush.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Sure, it's a tough loss.

Now, the defense that hasn't been able to stop anybody . . .

won't be able to stop anybody.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Not Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Playmakers get burned too. Mayo is solid. Not many of those 'impact plays' but he leads in tackles because he's where he's supposed to be - where the football is
    Posted by Evil2012

I completely agree which is why I said you need that playmaker for that 1 or 2 game changing plays but you also need to have solid players like Mayo for the other 95% of the time.

I would not trade Mayo for anyone as he's a player that you can build a D around, much like Wilfork. Rarely can you build a D around playmakers you need solid players for that. But, you can't have a team completely built out of solid players you still need a couple of those playmakers for that extra edge. It's what gave GB the win in the SB was they had the couple of playmakers who make a couple of critical plays while the solid players did what they were suppose to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Mayo is not Patrick Willis. I hate this comparison. Check the stats (Willis has a lot more tackles, sacks, forced fumbles, INTs - only played 1 more year). Willis is Ray Lewis, while Mayo is Keith Brooking in his prime. Mayo is by far our best linebacker, but he is not as good as some of you make him out to be.  And can our D get any worse anyways?
    Posted by toocool9090

Agree..but, Willis is no Ray Lewis either. As far as I'm concerned Ray Lewis is the best MLB that has ever played this game period. He's been playing at an extremely high level for what...13 years or more?...insane.

He is the very definition of a playmaker. He makes everyone else around him better, and he makes big plays when the team needs him. Just so happens the Ravens have 2 of the best of all time at their respective positions in Lewis and Reed. Add in Ngata, Suggs, etc., etc. and that D is special. That's how you assemble defensive talent.

Mayo is a solid LB. He's not a superstar or even in the same league as Lewis and probably never will be. He doesn't play with that anger and aggression. He's a very solid starting LB, probowl caliber, but not game changing and not someone a TE or RB fears when going over the middle. Did you see Keller last night as Lewis nearly decapitated him?...

Sections
Shortcuts