Not to beat a dead horse again. But me thinks the NFL has some expaining to do!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Not to beat a dead horse again. But me thinks the NFL has some expaining to do!

Updated Oct 23, 2013 6:03 AM ET

DAVIE, Fla. (AP)

The Miami Dolphins are well aware of the obscure new rule that drew a penalty on the Patriots and helped the Jets win in overtime last week.

NEED SOME? GET SOME Feed your NFL addiction! Come feast on all the news in our updating blog.

The Dolphins complained to the NFL that a similar violation by the Ravens wasn't called.

On Sunday, New England's Chris Jones was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct for pushing a teammate into the Jets' formation. The penalty negated a missed field goal try, and the Jets then made a shorter kick for the victory.

The Dolphins complained to the league that a similar violation wasn't called in Week 5 when Caleb Sturgis missed a 57-yard kick at the end of a 26-23 loss to Baltimore. Coach Joe Philbin said he became aware of the supposed infraction watching a tape of the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Not to beat a dead horse again. But me thinks the NFL has some expaining to do!

The NFL has explaining to do EVERY SINGLE NFL game!!  What do I mean?

It has been said everywhere that on every NFL play a penalty can be called.  We all scream at the at the TV when we see holding that occurs on pass plays (SB 42 ring a bell) which are clearly caught on TV right in front of an official.  The PI call that is made on one play and the very next time we see a similar play it is not called.  It drives us nuts!

As for the penalty called against the Pats, let's put it into context versus the one that was not called against the Jets when the Pats kicked the game tieing FG at the end of regulation.  For the Pats, the penalty would not have helped as there were only 16 seconds left in the game and how much time would they have had to try and run a play or two to score a winning TD vs a FG.  I do not recall if the Pats had any TOs left.  As for the Jets, it gave them a 1st down and there was plenty of time on the clock to run more plays.  Besides, since it was OT, they only needed to kick the FG to win as the Pats would not have gotten the ball back.  Imagine if there was a minute or more left in regulation and the Pats got the call?  Either way, it is what it is and the result of the game is in dry ink now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Not to beat a dead horse again. But me thinks the NFL has some expaining to do!

In response to agcsbill's comment:

It has been said everywhere that on every NFL play a penalty can be called.  We all scream at the at the TV when we see holding that occurs on pass plays (SB 42 ring a bell) which are clearly caught on TV right in front of an official.  The PI call that is made on one play and the very next time we see a similar play it is not called.  It drives us nuts!

As for the penalty called against the Pats, let's put it into context versus the one that was not called against the Jets when the Pats kicked the game tieing FG at the end of regulation.  For the Pats, the penalty would not have helped as there were only 16 seconds left in the game and how much time would they have had to try and run a play or two to score a winning TD vs a FG.  I do not recall if the Pats had any TOs left.  As for the Jets, it gave them a 1st down and there was plenty of time on the clock to run more plays.  Besides, since it was OT, they only needed to kick the FG to win as the Pats would not have gotten the ball back.  Imagine if there was a minute or more left in regulation and the Pats got the call?  Either way, it is what it is and the result of the game is in dry ink now.

The week prior the Pats had the ball at the Saints 17 with 11s left on the clock and scored a TD to win. If the penalty was called the Pats would have been moved up to the Jets 11 with 19s left on the clock. Enough time to run 2 if not 3 plays into the endzone and kick a FG. The penalty would have given the Pats a couple chances at the 11yrd line in which the previous week resulted in a game winning TD. If a penalty was called the Pats could have thrown a TD in those 19s so to say it wouldn't have helped isn't true.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

PatsEng..  I did not watch the game, not broadcast in my area, hence my lack of knowledge of what the Pats had left and how far to go to possibly score a TD.  I see they could have scored a winning TD and shut the Jets up for good that day.

Your information does more to add to the fact the lack of that call not made against the Jets at that moment, while called against the Pats in OT, makes this issue all the more volatile.  The Pats could have won the game, while for the Jets, after missing a winning FG, it moved them up closer for the game ENDING winning FG with no chance for the Pats to get the ball back afterwards.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

PatsEng..  I did not watch the game, not broadcast in my area, hence my lack of knowledge of what the Pats had left and how far to go to possibly score a TD.  I see they could have scored a winning TD and shut the Jets up for good that day.

Your information does more to add to the fact the lack of that call not made against the Jets at that moment, while called against the Pats in OT, makes this issue all the more volatile.  The Pats could have won the game, while for the Jets, after missing a winning FG, it moved them up closer for the game ENDING winning FG with no chance for the Pats to get the ball back afterwards.

[/QUOTE]

No problem, yeah people hear the distance of the kick and forget to tack on the 7 yards the kicker is set back and the extra 10 yrds for the uprights at the end of the endzone. It's hard to realize you need to be almost to the RZ just to get a 40yrd kick

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The week prior the Pats had the ball at the Saints 17 with 11s left on the clock and scored a TD to win. If the penalty was called the Pats would have been moved up to the Jets 11 with 19s left on the clock. Enough time to run 2 if not 3 plays into the endzone and kick a FG. The penalty would have given the Pats a couple chances at the 11yrd line in which the previous week resulted in a game winning TD. If a penalty was called the Pats could have thrown a TD in those 19s so to say it wouldn't have helped isn't true.

[/QUOTE]
    Plenty of time for Brady to throw a pick6 or to get walluped and fumble a third time.  I am just so surprised that nobody is complaining about the offensive PI against the Jets in the 4th quarter that was not called the same way earlier in the game against the Pats.  Of course, the continued asssertion that the two FG attempts in the Jets/Pats game were the same is pretty funny two.  After the Jets allert the officials to the Patriots cheating ways, they are going to go do it themselves? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Plenty of time for Brady to throw a pick6 or to get walluped and fumble a third time.  I am just so surprised that nobody is complaining about the offensive PI against the Jets in the 4th quarter that was not called the same way earlier in the game against the Pats.  Of course, the continued asssertion that the two FG attempts in the Jets/Pats game were the same is pretty funny two.  After the Jets allert the officials to the Patriots cheating ways, they are going to go do it themselves? 

[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about the offensive PI on Hill it's because it was actually a offensive PI call. McCourty might have helped the call but clearly the Jets player pushed McCourty and extended his arms which was txt book Offensive PI. There was no such play that was similar commited by the Pats, if there was please point it out for us. Otherwise are you talking about the pick play that Gronk was called for early in the game for Offensive PI (which was a penalty) and that the Jets later ran a pick and didn't get called for? Or are you talking about the D PI on Gregory (which again was a penalty) in which Smith underthrew and Gregory didn't turn around running into the Jet and was called. Please point out which one you think didn't get called because from a PI stand point I think it was pretty fairly called on both sides in this game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Meadow... did not see the game.  True, Pats could have coughed up the ball in those last few seconds instead of possibly scoring a winning TD.  The key is the Pats would have been given a second chance to win the game like the Jets did.

Also, can't comment about your assertion about the PI calls, which fans of EVERY team say happens against their receivers and not called.  So, I take that with a grain of salt.  In this instance, it is the TIMING of the call that impacted the game directly.

If this issue occurred the other way around, you'd be singing a DIFFERENT tune!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

Meadow... did not see the game.  True, Pats could have coughed up the ball in those last few seconds instead of possibly scoring a winning TD.  The key is the Pats would have been given a second chance to win the game like the Jets did.

Also, can't comment about your assertion about the PI calls, which fans of EVERY team say happens against their receivers and not called.  So, I take that with a grain of salt.  In this instance, it is the TIMING of the call that impacted the game directly.

[/QUOTE]

That's just it.  I would not.  I have not and will not use the refs as an excuse for anything.  I coached baseball, soccer, and basketball for many years.  I reff'd basketball and umped baseball.  I have been on the winning and losing end of questionable calls.  I have made questionable calls that I where I was blamed for a team losing. Rules are rules, but there are humans blowing the whistle.  Although I watch very little of the NBA these days, one can pick out any game on any night and find a similar foul, travel or whatever else called here that wasn't called there and a group of fans who cry about it.  The vast majority of the fans here, refuse to consider that the Jets held the ball for 46 minutes, allowed the Jets to run the ball 50 times, allowed a greater than 50% conversion on third down and after stopping the Pats in OT went down the field where a kick could lose them the game.  The Pats gave up 30 points to the Jets and without that call in OT, the only thing known was that the game would have been tied.  In the twisted accoutability challenged mind of the Pats fan, that 3 points the Jets got in OT would have been instanty transferred to them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about the offensive PI on Hill it's because it was actually a offensive PI call. McCourty might have helped the call but clearly the Jets player pushed McCourty and extended his arms which was txt book Offensive PI. There was no such play that was similar commited by the Pats, if there was please point it out for us. Otherwise are you talking about the pick play that Gronk was called for early in the game for Offensive PI (which was a penalty) and that the Jets later ran a pick and didn't get called for? Or are you talking about the D PI on Gregory (which again was a penalty) in which Smith underthrew and Gregory didn't turn around running into the Jet and was called. Please point out which one you think didn't get called because from a PI stand point I think it was pretty fairly called on both sides in this game.

[/QUOTE]

It was PI on Hill, no doubt.  It was a stiff arm by Gronk on Allen.  I don't recall which of the 17 attempts it was.  I'll look.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

This is so silly. How you get the trolls on here defending the call. In that case I want the NFL to call every PI penalty everytime a hail mary is thrown at the end of a half or at the end of the game. Pure and simple they just don't do it. Jet's #1 fan goddell should be forced by all the so called national sports media to explain why at that time it was called and at no other time ever. If the refs were influenced by a head coach to watch out for it than that should be made public also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

It was PI on Hill, no doubt.  It was a stiff arm by Gronk on Allen.  I don't recall which of the 17 attempts it was.  I'll look.

[/QUOTE]

That was the pick play that Gronk got called PI on. There was another play where Gronk had his arm extended but he didn't push just keep him at bay. That's not technically PI provided Gronk didn't push or redirect the defender. and you see it all the time a receiver have his arm extended to keep a D player at bay right before the catch and the D player swipe the arm away (both actions being legal)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was the pick play that Gronk got called PI on. There was another play where Gronk had his arm extended but he didn't push just keep him at bay. That's not technically PI provided Gronk didn't push or redirect the defender. and you see it all the time a receiver have his arm extended to keep a D player at bay right before the catch and the D player swipe the arm away (both actions being legal)

[/QUOTE]

PI is a judement call and will always be a judgement call. To argue it is futile because it is someones opinion and judement, it is not fact except in the most OVERLY obvious cases. Even then it is probably not fact and just more likely that most everyone will or would come to the same conclusions of opinion on that particular play.

The PI calls that absolutely drive me crazy are the ones called from by out of position officials and are not actually/technically seen. Officiating 101, you call ONLY what you "see" and not what you assume or suspect happened. That obviously goes for any call in any sport.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's just it.  I would not.  I have not and will not use the refs as an excuse for anything.  I coached baseball, soccer, and basketball for many years.  I reff'd basketball and umped baseball.  I have been on the winning and losing end of questionable calls.  I have made questionable calls that I where I was blamed for a team losing. Rules are rules, but there are humans blowing the whistle.  Although I watch very little of the NBA these days, one can pick out any game on any night and find a similar foul, travel or whatever else called here that wasn't called there and a group of fans who cry about it.  The vast majority of the fans here, refuse to consider that the Jets held the ball for 46 minutes, allowed the Jets to run the ball 50 times, allowed a greater than 50% conversion on third down and after stopping the Pats in OT went down the field where a kick could lose them the game.  The Pats gave up 30 points to the Jets and without that call in OT, the only thing known was that the game would have been tied.  In the twisted accoutability challenged mind of the Pats fan, that 3 points the Jets got in OT would have been instanty transferred to them.

[/QUOTE]

Take this with a grain of salt.... 

I do not think Pats fans are using this ONE call as the reason the Pats lost.  I've made comments about the ToP being 2 - 1 in favor of the Jets.  There is a lot being said on this board about all the missed opportunities the Pats had to win this game in regulation.  Look at how many discussions revolve around the play of Tom Brady.

Generally, even when a questionable call is made, there are additional opportunities for the flagged team to come back from it.  In this case, the call came at a time the Pats could not come back from.  Even though the Jets ran a few more plays after the 1st down, the 15 yards made the FG attempt a chip shot to end the game.  Most folks are upset how the call basically ended the game in favor of the Jets and most folks hate it, no matter which team you support, when a call does just that!  No one likes a zebra calls that affects the outcome.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PI is a judement call and will always be a judgement call. To argue it is futile because it is someones opinion and judement, it is not fact except in the most OVERLY obvious cases. Even then it is probably not fact and just more likely that most everyone will or would come to the same conclusions of opinion on that particular play.

The PI calls that absolutely drive me crazy are the ones called from by out of position officials and are not actually/technically seen. Officiating 101, you call ONLY what you "see" and not what you assume or suspect happened. That obviously goes for any call in any sport.

[/QUOTE]

So one could say the push was a judgement call as it could have been that he just stumbled and pushed the guy in front.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

fourjays...  in my "judgement", we can move on to Miami!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

a few points

If the nfl had been calling the "push" play, either before in any other game,or even on the Coples push (a push is a push for you legal beagles) then it is unbelieveable to think Jones would have committed that penalty.(assume the Cples penalty was declined so everything would still be the same)

The Arrington PI call is called that way everytime against us. BUT why in the world is it that when a passed ball hits the defender in the back or the back of the head, before he touches the receiver it is ever PI???? I have asking this for years. there have been occasions wher the reciver will use it to get the pnalty called. Stupid NFL

We all know that it is impossible to call a 100% consistent game. We have to live with the inconsitencies. But this call , set up by the ryan bros. called for the first time in an OT game that gave a win with playoff ramifications is just too much to swallow. Especially when "technically the jests had a noncall 8 minutes before.

And then to see Ryan try and deflect any knowledge at the time of the call (his look on the sideline looked like a cat swallowing the canary0 and the dancing in his game presser, and now being indignant with the reporters ( as noted yesterday in the NY Post) saying that they aren't giveing him crdit for the win, well he makes me sick.

When you listen to the former players and coaches they all talk about the rules but then you can tell they hate a call like this by the refs that decides a game.

Lastly the Nfl has a problem. They have a system where a team can complain to the league and the accused never knows. If the league really wanted to prevent penalties regarding saftey, they should call the team in on the carpet and fine them. Just like they do with uncalled personal fouls on players. What we are left with is legitimate concerns of conspiracies. And here it sure looks like it was the refs & jests vs the pats

<br/>

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Keep beating the Dead Horses....Toes Ryan and putrid Jests fans. They are health hazards  and the Meadowlands need to be fumigated after every game.     

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

a few points

If the nfl had been calling the "push" play, either before in any other game,or even on the Coples push (a push is a push for you legal beagles) then it is unbelieveable to think Jones would have committed that penalty.(assume the Cples penalty was declined so everything would still be the same)

The Arrington PI call is called that way everytime against us. BUT why in the world is it that when a passed ball hits the defender in the back or the back of the head, before he touches the receiver it is ever PI???? I have asking this for years. there have been occasions wher the reciver will use it to get the pnalty called. Stupid NFL

We all know that it is impossible to call a 100% consistent game. We have to live with the inconsitencies. But this call , set up by the ryan bros. called for the first time in an OT game that gave a win with playoff ramifications is just too much to swallow. Especially when "technically the jests had a noncall 8 minutes before.

And then to see Ryan try and deflect any knowledge at the time of the call (his look on the sideline looked like a cat swallowing the canary0 and the dancing in his game presser, and now being indignant with the reporters ( as noted yesterday in the NY Post) saying that they aren't giveing him crdit for the win, well he makes me sick.

When you listen to the former players and coaches they all talk about the rules but then you can tell they hate a call like this by the refs that decides a game.

Lastly the Nfl has a problem. They have a system where a team can complain to the league and the accused never knows. If the league really wanted to prevent penalties regarding saftey, they should call the team in on the carpet and fine them. Just like they do with uncalled personal fouls on players. What we are left with is legitimate concerns of conspiracies. And here it sure looks like it was the refs & jests vs the pats

<br/>

[/QUOTE]

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to fourjays30's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So one could say the push was a judgement call as it could have been that he just stumbled and pushed the guy in front.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what play you are referencing in particular but there are lots of calls that are judgement calls. Heck holding on every single offensive play run is either called or not called in judgement.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes we can move on to Miami but the fans should keep beating the dead horse till we get the NFL to admit they have a double standard. This reminds me of when the colts complained about our DB's and got the rule changed. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes we can move on to Miami but the fans should keep beating the dead horse till we get the NFL to admit they have a double standard. This reminds me of when the colts complained about our DB's and got the rule changed. 

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the thing everyone laughs at Pats fans about.  Claims of a double standard.  Rules are rules and refs are human.  Plays are blown dead that should not be.  PI is called when it should not be and not called when it should be.  If you want to cry about a double standard, you may want to up that to a triple standard where as the call was not made against the Patriots in the Saints game. Without that call, all you know is that the game was tied.  The Patriots were on film using an illegal technique in a previous game at a crucial point.  The guilty party treated the guy in front of him like a practice sled.  Rex knew it was coming.  Just like Allen knew that pass to Gronk was coming.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the thing everyone laughs at Pats fans about.  Claims of a double standard.  Rules are rules and refs are human.  Plays are blown dead that should not be.  PI is called when it should not be and not called when it should be.  If you want to cry about a double standard, you may want to up that to a triple standard where as the call was not made against the Patriots in the Saints game. Without that call, all you know is that the game was tied.  The Patriots were on film using an illegal technique in a previous game at a crucial point.  The guilty party treated the guy in front of him like a practice sled.  Rex knew it was coming.  Just like Allen knew that pass to Gronk was coming.

[/QUOTE]

Just exactly who are you and what are you doing here. If you don't have anyhing of substance to add please keep quite. Every post you submitt shows how little you know about the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just exactly who are you and what are you doing here. If you don't have anyhing of substance to add please keep quite. Every post you submitt shows how little you know about the game.

[/QUOTE]

Says the guy that is crying about a double standard after the Pats are not flagged against the Saints becauue they were flagged against the Jets. Is that your definition of something to add?   Face it, you're just crying about getting caught for breaking the rules.  Why aren't you crying about not getting caught earlier?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we saw it.  But that **** happens on most plays in this league.  

You conveniently left out the helmet to helmet hit late in the game that was called a hold on the Pats.  Lol.  

The thing you're not getting is that the Jets needed the refs to help them beat a decimated Pats team in the Meadowlands.  

Sections
Shortcuts