Not too optimistic about the future.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Not too optimistic about the future.

Guys,
    It time someone said what we all have been thinking along. I don't even know if we have what it takes to replicate 2009 season, which was mediocre at best. I'll try to break it down by positions of need.

1. LB/DE/DL: TBC has been resigned which is good, but he is a situational passer at best. AD may be gone. VW signing is huge, but he is a pivot in 3-4, and by no way a game changer. ILB seems OK at best with Guyton and Mayo and hoping McKinze provides a spark. Miami has signed Dansby to a mega contract and he is a great tackler.
    I don't know if we are going to get a pass rusher in FA (who??) or via draft, who may or may not pan out (Gholston).

2. CB: If Bodden departs which seems like a 70% possibility, we are left with a promising Butler and an ageing Springs, along with the two Ws, who are not worth a pack of gum. If Bodden doesn't resign then we should probably invest #22 on a legit CB from the draft, and hope we can address the pass rush with a later pick. NYJ probably have the best CB tandem in NFL with both Revis and Cromartie having the potential of have 6-8 picks/season and make the opposing QB shudder.

3. WR: Moss is still good and can contribute a 1200 yard and 8-12 TD easily. But he is always double teamed and his leaping abilities ala 07 has gone down a lot. Wes will not be available till mid season and he still might not be as dynamic as he was. Edelman is good, but thats abut it. I would have loved a trade for Boldin, but we chickened out. We certainly had the ammo to give a last 2nd for him and give him a decent contract, but that was not to be. Baltimore came out big in Boldin and Stallworth. I hope we sign Reed but we need a deep threat as we have no one but Moss.

4. RB: With Taylor, Maroney and Morris, we have no legit #1 RB. With no WR, we have to get a FA RB, or one high in draft, maybe with our 1st. If Faulk leaves, I'll be extremely disappointed.

5. TE: Nothing to say, we don't have any!

6. Safety: Not spectacular, but pretty decent.

7. OL: Not bad.

With these observations and the splash that other teams are making in FA, I cannot help but wonder if we are going to be competitive in 2010. As of now, we not even as good as our 09 team and that is scary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Not too optimistic about the future.

Good, then maybe you'll become a fan of another team and go to their board and complain. Oh but wait a minute, you really just post here so the NY Times will pay you for increasing their click count.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Just expressing my self Sir! If you don't have any intellegent comments, then maybe you should stick to reading MAD magizines.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

I would say stay calm until after the draft and free agency plays itself out and then take another look.  No other powerhouse has made any big moves either.  If the pats can fill some holes with the draft, get younger, they should be ok.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

In Response to Re: Not too optimistic about the future.:
    Good, then maybe you'll become a fan of another team and go to their board and complain. Oh but wait a minute, you really just post here so the NY Times will pay you for increasing their click count.
    Posted by rtuinila

If you don't think the Pat's have some problems to address after last season, then I am not sure what you were watching.  I too am concerned that many teams are aggressively pursuing free agents, when the team is at best taking a more measured approach, and at worst what the h*ll are they waiting for?

Yes BB has forgotten more football than most of us will ever know.  The flib side of that coin is  I am not thilled with his drafting down for value.  His second round picks ( and he has accumulated alot during the years) have not stuck with the team.

Many Superbowl teams do have a reasonable faximile of a backup QB if the started goes down too.  If Hoyer had to play last year would we had a winning year?  Cassel has the undefeated team surrounding him  to bail him out, and a weak division.

Other thread have questioned the conditioning.  Does a champioship team need to go for it in 4th dow deep in the colts territory? 

With all these needs  why no apparent movent in free agency.  I don't get it

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Not too optimistic about the future.:
    Guys, It time someone said what we all have been thinking along. I don't even know if we have what it takes to replicate 2009 season, which was mediocre at best. I'll try to break it down by positions of need. 1. LB/DE/DL: TBC has been resigned which is good, but he is a situational passer at best. AD may be gone. VW signing is huge, but he is a pivot in 3-4, and by no way a game changer. ILB seems OK at best with Guyton and Mayo and hoping McKinze provides a spark. Miami has signed Dansby to a mega contract and he is a great tackler. I don't know if we are going to get a pass rusher in FA (who??) or via draft, who may or may not pan out (Gholston). Status: Extremely worried! 2. CB: If Bodden departs which seems like a 70% possibility, we are left with a promising Butler and an ageing Springs, along with the two Ws, who are not worth a pack of gum. If Bodden doesn't resign then we should probably invest #22 on a legit CB from the draft, and hope we can address the pass rush with a later pick. NYJ probably have the best CB tandem in NFL with both Revis and Cromartie having the potential of have 6-8 picks/season and make the opposing QB shudder. Status: Extremely worried if Bodden bolts. 3. WR: Moss is still good and can contribute a 1200 yard and 8-12 TD easily. But he is always double teamed and his leaping abilities ala 07 has gone down a lot. Wes will not be available till mid season and he still might not be as dynamic as he was. Edelman is good, but thats abut it. I would have loved a trade for Boldin, but we chickened out. We certainly had the ammo to give a last 2nd for him and give him a decent contract, but that was not to be. Baltimore came out big in Boldin and Stallworth. I hope we sign Reed but we need a deep threat as we have no one but Moss. 4. RB: With Taylor, Maroney and Morris, we have no legit #1 RB. With no WR, we have to get a FA RB, or one high in draft, maybe with our 1st. If Faulk leaves, I'll be extremely disappointed. Status: Worried. 5. TE: Nothing to say, we don't have any! Status: Worried beyond worries! 6. Safety: Not spectacular, but pretty decent. Status: Calm. 7. OL: Not bad. Status: Calm. With these observations and the splash that other teams are making in FA, I cannot help but wonder if we are going to be competitive in 2010. As of now, we not even as good as our 09 team and that is scary.
    Posted by bmadmax81

there really wasn't anyone that could provide long term benefit to the team. you don't always need a FA that will come in next year and provide instant benefits. alot of those guys aren't worth the money, and some have injury proneness to them.

i agree with patsman2 analogy 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

bmad and ALL:

Expressed my sentiments on NE's off-season thus far awhile back in another thread.  Here's the gist:  Belichick notices that himself that there are simply holes which are too big to fill on this team in order to field another championship caliber team.  Here's my proof:  BB could spend more and NE HAS been one of the higher spending teams...an example was 2007 when NE was #2 in Overall Spending.  But it made sense in '07 trying to push through yet 1 last championship team because NE was getting older (but was not yet either too old yet and were still close to our Dynastic run in early 2000's)- SO BB spent on big-time in free agency.  NE came so close that year, but just didn't make it.  So jump now to last year, Belichick WAS pretty active in free agency-Bringing in many mid- mid-low priced vets in free agency, but the holes were simply too great all-around to field any sort of contender.  Belichick has HAD to have realized that NE really does have to rebuild BIG-time in so many positional areas...  Simply 1 Great QB and 1 Great WR is in no way, even closely enough.  And as these 2 superstars continue to unfortunately age, You STILL should not and even could not sell the rebuilding process shor just because you have these 2 great and critical in and of themselves, pieces.

So where are we now?  Well, last season was rebuilding year #1 (probably a 2-3 year plan).  So NE should have 2 years left to rebuild-this year and next year (I'd love to say 1, but I cannot).  Maybe, just maybe NE could field a championship squad for the 2011-2012 season, but for this upcoming season...sorry.  BB ALWAYS tries to field a contender, but there's simply just too many needed components (he has to have recognized this as well).  In last year's draft, rather than garnering 1 or maybe 2 impact players, 2 guys who wouldn't have been enough anyways...Belichick instead did NOT sell the future short for a very low "maybe" chance to get 1 Lombardi-So he traded down and picked up much needed pieces that will be a mass core group of guys for the long-term next dynastic run.

So what has done this off-season?  Again, BB COULD have signed Wilfork and TBC to 4 or 5 year deals, but it didn't make sense to.  These guys will be far older when the rebuilding campaign ends after 2 more seasons and he'll have their replacements in place at that time, so BB just signs them to 3 year deals.  Belichick COULD have signed 2, maybe 3 Impact Players, BUT there are more holes NOW than there was in '07 when BB spent big in free agency and the remaining SB guys are even older NOW, So he MUST have recognized IF it didn' happen then in '07 (however close), It won't happen IF he did this for '10-'11 season...no way.  Likewise BB COULD have traded one of his multiple 2nd rders for someone like Anquan Boldin, But WHY again sell the future rebuilding process for the whole team short for a "maybe" 1, 2, even 3 Impact guys.  Can't do it...

Ya know, ALL of this may be true.  Another possibility is that Kraft is cheap and Belichick has dementia or something...but I'm just trying to make some sense outta this, ya know?  IF you've struggled as I, through years of mediocrity while still love this team as a long-ime fan, then you, as I, WILL live.  IF you haven't...then my words have been wasted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Leon,
    Qudos to Jets for making innovative moves in the first few days of the FA. That being said, why don't you go and play in the middle of I-95 from 4-6 pm? I am sure all our problems wil be solved!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

bmad and ALL : Expressed my sentiments on NE's off-season thus far awhile back in another thread.  Here's the gist:  Belichick notices that himself that there are simply holes which are too big to fill on this team in order to field another championship caliber team.  Here's my proof:  BB could spend more and NE HAS been one of the higher spending teams...an example was 2007 when NE was #2 in Overall Spending.  But it made sense in '07 trying to push through yet 1 last championship team because NE was getting older (but was not yet either too old yet and were still close to our Dynastic run in early 2000's)- SO BB spent on big-time in free agency.  NE came so close that year, but just didn't make it.  So jump now to last year, Belichick WAS pretty active in free agency-Bringing in many mid- mid-low priced vets in free agency, but the holes were simply too great all-around to field any sort of contender.  Belichick has HAD to have realized that NE really does have to rebuild BIG-time in so many positional areas...  Simply 1 Great QB and 1 Great WR is in no way, even closely enough.  And as these 2 superstars continue to unfortunately age, You STILL should not and even could not sell the rebuilding process shor just because you have these 2 great and critical in and of themselves, pieces. So where are we now?  Well, last season was rebuilding year #1 (probably a 2-3 year plan).  So NE should have 2 years left to rebuild-this year and next year (I'd love to say 1, but I cannot).  Maybe, just maybe NE could field a championship squad for the 2011-2012 season, but for this upcoming season...sorry.  BB ALWAYS tries to field a contender, but there's simply just too many needed components (he has to have recognized this as well).  In last year's draft, rather than garnering 1 or maybe 2 impact players, 2 guys who wouldn't have been enough anyways...Belichick instead did NOT sell the future short for a very low "maybe" chance to get 1 Lombardi-So he traded down and picked up much needed pieces that will be a mass core group of guys for the long-term next dynastic run. So what has done this off-season?  Again, BB COULD have signed Wilfork and TBC to 4 or 5 year deals, but it didn't make sense to.  These guys will be far older when the rebuilding campaign ends after 2 more seasons and he'll have their replacements in place at that time, so BB just signs them to 3 year deals.  Belichick COULD have signed 2, maybe 3 Impact Players, BUT there are more holes NOW than there was in '07 when BB spent big in free agency and the remaining SB guys are even older NOW, So he MUST have recognized IF it didn' happen then in '07 (however close), It won't happen IF he did this for '10-'11 season...no way.  Likewise BB COULD have traded one of his multiple 2nd rders for someone like Anquan Boldin, But WHY again sell the future rebuilding process for the whole team short for a "maybe" 1, 2, even 3 Impact guys.  Can't do it... Ya know, ALL of this may be true.  Another possibility is that Kraft is cheap and Belichick has dementia or something...but I'm just trying to make some sense outta this, ya know?  IF you've struggled as I, through years of mediocrity while still love this team as a long-ime fan, then you, as I, WILL live.  IF you haven't...then my words have been wasted.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Well said,
    It is just frustrating from a fan's point of view. Jets are handicapped by final eight rule and they still managed to bolster their team and we are still struggling to sign our players to an extension. That being said, I do hope and am sure that BB has some tricks up his sleeve. He is know to extract value from veterans and get some gems in the draft (Seabass, Edelman).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Not too optimistic about the future.:
    Guys, It time someone said what we all have been thinking along. I don't even know if we have what it takes to replicate 2009 season, which was mediocre at best. I'll try to break it down by positions of need. 1. LB/DE/DL: TBC has been resigned which is good, but he is a situational passer at best. AD may be gone. VW signing is huge, but he is a pivot in 3-4, and by no way a game changer. ILB seems OK at best with Guyton and Mayo and hoping McKinze provides a spark. Miami has signed Dansby to a mega contract and he is a great tackler. I don't know if we are going to get a pass rusher in FA (who??) or via draft, who may or may not pan out (Gholston). Status: Extremely worried! 2. CB: If Bodden departs which seems like a 70% possibility, we are left with a promising Butler and an ageing Springs, along with the two Ws, who are not worth a pack of gum. If Bodden doesn't resign then we should probably invest #22 on a legit CB from the draft, and hope we can address the pass rush with a later pick. NYJ probably have the best CB tandem in NFL with both Revis and Cromartie having the potential of have 6-8 picks/season and make the opposing QB shudder. Status: Extremely worried if Bodden bolts. 3. WR: Moss is still good and can contribute a 1200 yard and 8-12 TD easily. But he is always double teamed and his leaping abilities ala 07 has gone down a lot. Wes will not be available till mid season and he still might not be as dynamic as he was. Edelman is good, but thats abut it. I would have loved a trade for Boldin, but we chickened out. We certainly had the ammo to give a last 2nd for him and give him a decent contract, but that was not to be. Baltimore came out big in Boldin and Stallworth. I hope we sign Reed but we need a deep threat as we have no one but Moss. 4. RB: With Taylor, Maroney and Morris, we have no legit #1 RB. With no WR, we have to get a FA RB, or one high in draft, maybe with our 1st. If Faulk leaves, I'll be extremely disappointed. Status: Worried. 5. TE: Nothing to say, we don't have any! Status: Worried beyond worries! 6. Safety: Not spectacular, but pretty decent. Status: Calm. 7. OL: Not bad. Status: Calm. With these observations and the splash that other teams are making in FA, I cannot help but wonder if we are going to be competitive in 2010. As of now, we not even as good as our 09 team and that is scary.
    Posted by bmadmax81

Everyone is well aware the of the pats' weaknesses but panicking into signing flawed FAs is not the answer. Everyone complains about "letting peppers get away" but the man was overpriced and under-motivated. we don't need another seymour-type slacker, who only plays when he feels like it and who we would be paying more than tommy, to play a new position. I'm happy we passed on peppers.
    Same with boldin. we'd be paying him as much as randy when he's prloven to be tempermental and undependable, playing only two complete seasons in seven years. boldin was a big chance for lots of money.
    history shows that high priced FAs often don't live up to their billing, once signed to long term deals. Just look at AT. The "cream of the crop" in FAs in 2007; a huge underperformer at more than $10 million a year, untradeable and now about to be cut.
    Remember we have a bunch of guys we have to pay this year too; fork, mankins, bodden (hopefully), neal and tommy. We also have a whole draft class, including at least four 1st and 2nd rounders to sign. We just don't have the money to do both in the same year.
    I believe its going to take us two years to become SB contenders again and thats only if we make the most of our draft picks both this year and next. 
    I'm hoping to see a RB, WR, TE and OLB as key acquisitions in this draft. CB, DT, OLine and ILB in next years draft.
    Have some faith.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

madmaxipad, no-one wants to play for the cheapcheaters when other teams will pay them..... "future so bright I gotta wear shades..."   Now my horribly accented neighbor go stand in the BIG DIG it's collapsing just like Patsies tee hee get back to work all
    Posted by ladyleon

Ladyleon,
    I guess someone is PMSing and taking out the frustration in this thread!
    Please go away!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

This is a good team that just needs to stay healthy. The loss of Seymour last year was huge but I don't think he would have put them over the top. They have a lot of holes but they were also close in their losses. A little more pass protection and a little more pass defense and this team is right in there with the best.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Good points and a great many of us share your concerns. 

The defensive line should be fine.  Bill being Bill you can bet he will add another body to it in the draft as well, but we have a very good starting 3 man unit right now.

The LB's are one of the biggerst question marks.  The wild cards there are Crable and McKenzie and I do think a pass rushing specialist with a great deal of upside should be picked up in the draft with either our first round pick or our first pick in the second round.  A little concern here, but there is a lot of room for this area to work out well.

Corner backs are a big concern.  While Bodden is only an above average cover guy, he is the best that we have.  I would like to see us bring him back, and yes we will have to over pay to do so considering the market.  But what's the alternative?  I'd hate to see us address this with a draft pick in hopes that that will resolve the isse as CB's always take a while to come along.

Wide Receiver may be our biggest concern next to corners.  Lot of you seem to think Welker will be just fine mid way through the season and come save the day.  I doubt that very much and I don't expect to see him play at all.  Combine that with Moss only being as good as the # 2 guy and we need a star # 2 guy.  I'm all for taking a run at Marshall even if that means giving up our first rounder, but I would try to make it our next year first rounder if possible.  If we can land a stud # 2 and have Eldelman and Tate competeing for #3 we should be just fine here.

Running Back is another area where I am concerned, but not too much.  I have more faith in Maroney than most, but I think he NEEDS a change of pace runner to share the rock with and keep him on his toes.  Going after a guy like Dwyer in the draft somewhere in the 2nd round would put a smile on my face.  Faulk has always been great but doesn't have much left, we need to start grooming a replacement.  Add to this Fred Taylor and or Sammn Morris and we should be okay. 

Tight Ends....  Honestly I have no idea what BB is thinking and I am checking the web almost on an hourly basis waiting for this particular piece of the puzzle to be far less puzzling. BB has either cracked under the pressure or there is something going on here we just have yet to become aware of.  But thus far, VERY CONCERNED.

Safeties are solid.  I'm not worried here.

Offensive Line we will add another draft pick to and should be fine.  We need to sign Mankins though. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

ladyleon, coltsbabe and underdogg need to get together and have a menage a trois