Now that its official, where does Darius Butler rank amongst the Patriots all time draft bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FcukUPayMe. Show FcukUPayMe's posts

Now that its official, where does Darius Butler rank amongst the Patriots all time draft bust?

Not as bad as Chad Jackson or Maroney but he's up there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

Re: Now that its official, where does Darius Butler rank amongst the Patriots all time draft bust?

im thinking more like sean crable

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

Re: Now that its official, where does Darius Butler rank amongst the Patriots all time draft bust?

Chris Singleton and Ray Agnew were both taken in the first round by the Pats...ahead of Emmitt Smith,,,ugh

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Nothing was as bad as Chris Canty, a 1st rounder (late), who was cut the following year.  Who was still available.....Sam Madison!  Just think, the Pats could have had Madison and Law!  Could have been 1 of the best tandems of all time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

In Response to Re: Now that its official, where does Darius Butler rank amongst the Patriots all time draft bust?:
    [QUOTE]Nothing was as bad as Chris Canty, a 1st rounder (late), who was cut the following year.  Who was still available.....Sam Madison!  Just think, the Pats could have had Madison and Law!  Could have been 1 of the best tandems of all time.
    Posted by gln826[/QUOTE]

yeah that was bad, i missed on him too, he was a monster at k-state, i was all ecstatic they drafted him, boy was i wrong!!!! lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I watched Butler a lot the past few years. This guy was not a mistake. Physically he is all pro material. For some reason he never improved, never was coached up, amd the defense was never adjusted for him to excel. The issues are between the ears and the questions are why are the Pats not seeing the Butlers, Merriweathers and Wilhits mental capacity along with the physical. Ditto Tate, Jackson and Canty. Coaches and talent evaluaters have come and gone. 2 constants in the process. BB and E Adams.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Its not a mistake and the defense was supposed to be re - arranged for him to excel?!?!?

Thats a Joke! 

What kind of adjustments are they suppose to make for a cb.  Go to 2 hand touch and make the opposing recievers tied one hand behind their back? lMAO

Its incredible what lengths some go thru to try to defend someone.  He was NOT an NFL cb, Period.  I still have yet to these great athletic., physical tools come to fruition in the NFL.  Maybe he gets a job w/ the texans, but it does not mean he is NFL material.  This pick stinks of a player who thought higher of himself then he was and didnt make the improvements to his game that were needed.

The guys bragged before the combine about being the best athlete there and just showing up and dominating....and also had a website b4 he was drafted called topprospects.com.  He was overated and mis evaluated...Simple

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Now that its official, where does Darius Butler rank amongst the Patriots all time draft bust?:
    [QUOTE]Not as bad as Chad Jackson or Maroney but he's up there.
    Posted by FcukUPayMe[/QUOTE]

He's not even in the top 10.

You have to factor the round/selection.

It will be hard for any pick to ever underperform like the #1 overall pick that was Kenneth "Game Day" Sims.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Now that its official, where does Darius Butler rank amongst the Patriots all time draft bust?:
    [QUOTE]Nothing was as bad as Chris Canty, a 1st rounder (late), who was cut the following year.  Who was still available.....Sam Madison!  Just think, the Pats could have had Madison and Law!  Could have been 1 of the best tandems of all time.
    Posted by gln826[/QUOTE]

Yeah Canty was a bust, but I think he played for three years here and then went on for another year or two in Seattle. Butler may never reach such lofty heights.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Ken Sims, anyone?

Ugh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

adrian klemm, bethel johnson....plenty of players who were bigger letdowns than Butler

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

mr chung?  paging mr eugene chung, table of 1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]Its not a mistake and the defense was supposed to be re - arranged for him to excel?!?!?   Thats a Joke!  What kind of adjustments are they suppose to make for a cb.  Go to 2 hand touch and make the opposing recievers tied one hand behind their back? lMAO Its incredible what lengths some go thru to try to defend someone.  He was NOT an NFL cb, Period.  I still have yet to these great athletic., physical tools come to fruition in the NFL.  Maybe he gets a job w/ the texans, but it does not mean he is NFL material.  This pick stinks of a player who thought higher of himself then he was and didnt make the improvements to his game that were needed. The guys bragged before the combine about being the best athlete there and just showing up and dominating....and also had a website b4 he was drafted called topprospects.com.  He was overated and mis evaluated...Simple
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

JSizz,
    Butler in cover 2 would have excelled. Dito Wilhite. I also could see Butler excelling in Rex or Rob Ryans dfense as the CB on that defense does not have to cover as long as a CB playing last years Pats defense.
    Butler needs to react, not read and react. Dittio Merriweather.
    Not quite 2 hand touch as you suggest, but I assume you don't know much about football.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Just above Hart Lee Dykes. At least Hart Lee can attribute his poor showing to a knee injury.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

The Pats are badly depleted in the secondary. If anyone gets hurt, the season is over. Butler is a good back up. We are badly lacking in safety depth and now DB. We've got second rate Tight end and now a linebacker. What is going on!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

bodden mcourtey arrington moulden and dowling is badly depleted?? 

this blog has become a troll motel.... with the blind leading the blind... or should i say the dumberer leading the dumb

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]adrian klemm, bethel johnson....plenty of players who were bigger letdowns than Butler
    Posted by andrewmcintosh[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  Atleast these players you mention acutally played and stuck around a few years.  I thought Bethel had a great rookie year and helped us win a few games , namely the Colts game with that amazing run back.  What games have Butler affected positively in that manner?  and how many games did Bethel lose for us. Butler was directly responsible for one Jets win where was eaten alive..

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plastics017. Show Plastics017's posts

Bill Belichick needs to start picking people in the FIRST round - PERIOD.  I'm tired of this stockpiling of picks, (2nd and 3rd rounders that is) - that turn out to be nothing a few years later, ITS THE 1ST ROUNDERS THAT STICK, STUPID! 

Someone called into a radio program and had a GREAT statistic - between the years of 2005 and 2010, how many picks did each team have, and how many of those picks were still on the team at the end of that time period ..... the comparison this caller brought up was the Packers - who drafted 47 times, and had 25+ players on their roster.  Guess how the Patriots faired - they drafted 59 (?? high 50's) times, and had NINE players on their team... pretty pathetic.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

[QUOTE]Bill Belichick needs to start picking people in the FIRST round - PERIOD.  I'm tired of this stockpiling of picks, (2nd and 3rd rounders that is) - that turn out to be nothing a few years later, ITS THE 1ST ROUNDERS THAT STICK, STUPID!  Someone called into a radio program and had a GREAT statistic - between the years of 2005 and 2010, how many picks did each team have, and how many of those picks were still on the team at the end of that time period ..... the comparison this caller brought up was the Packers - who drafted 47 times, and had 25+ players on their roster.  Guess how the Patriots faired - they drafted 59 (?? high 50's) times, and had NINE players on their team... pretty pathetic.
    Posted by Plastics017[/QUOTE]

Q. Numbers of times since 2005 that the Packers have had the same or better record than the Patriots?  A. Zero.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think you need to start with 1st rounders, and there are plenty of misses there pre-Belichick.  Butler is a miss, and a bust, but hardly crippling to this team. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Sorry, but I just can't get too worked up over 1 of their 4 second round picks that year not being any good.

Also, it's easy to rip the pick now, but this guy was rated a late-first/early-second rounder by all of the draft "experts" going into that draft.

Can't fault BB for taking him there.

As far as all-time Pats drafts' busts. Here's my top 10 (all first rounders), in no particular order (been a fan since '73, so my picks date from that year and after):

Hart Lee Dykes (1989)

Reggie Dupard (1986--pick made zero sense; they had just gone to the Super Bowl on the strength of a ground game that featured FOUR quality backs; he missed more games due to "turf toe" than any player in NFL history, I think)

Trevor Matich (1985--traded down so that the 49ers could trade up to draft Jerry Rice; nice move there)

Agnew/Singleton (1990)--two busts for the price of one, and they traded down, too, passing on a chance to select Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau.

Eugene Chung (1992--traded UP to draft him, believe it or not)

Chris Canty (1997)

Bob Cryder (1978)--was supposed to be the successor to John Hannah or Leon Gray at guard; he barely even started any games for them IIRC. The Pats drafted very, very well from 1973-79, by and large, but this pick was a total swing and miss.

Andy Katzenmoyer (1999)--injury problems, for sure, but he has to be on this list because he was such a "big name" in college (Ohio State gave him Archie Griffin's number, for God's sake!!), and Pats' fans had high expectations for him.

Lester Williams (1982)--the second of their two first rounders (Ken Sims was the other) that year, he had a good rookie year and then fell off the face of the earth. Could have been a very good 3-4 NT in the NFL, but he just sort of disappeared after that good rookie season.

Ken Sims (1982)--this is a bit unfair because Sims was actually a good player when he was healthy, but he was the first overall selection; when you take a guy #1 overall, you expect a perennial All Pro and perhaps even a HOF'er. Sims was miscast as a 3-4 end (he was a 4-3 tackle in college), I think, but by his fourth year he'd adjusted and had become an above-average player. Then he broke his leg during the Super Bowl year in '85 (his best season up to that point), and missed the better part of the next two years. In 1988 they FINALLY moved him to a more natural position--nose tackle--and he dominated the pre-season and the regular season meeting against the Jets, right up until the point when he tore his Achilles tendon late in the fourth quarter and missed the rest of the season. He was gone by 1990. He has to go down as a bust because of where he was taken, but I would have liked to have seen what the guy could have done if he'd been able to stay healthy.

No, I don't have any of BB's first rounders on the list. It's not because I'm a yahoo or a Kool-Aid drinker. It's because even his "bad" first rounders were somewhat productive during their time in NE (Graham was an excellent blocker; Watson had his moments; as did Maroney and Meriweather).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

[QUOTE]Exactly.  Note how the idiot caller references last year's SB winner, too.  The year before last Packers fans wanted Thompson and McCarthy's head on a platter for 6-10 and an 11-5 one and done season with terrible secondaries. If you don't do your homework, you'll get caught with your pants down looking like a fool. It took Ted Thompson YEARS to get his footing as a GM there after the Rodgers selection and the Favre trade. Two FULL SEASONS before GB made their run last year, and before that it looked bad for them. A methodical slow build was key, but it's not better than NE's.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I think GB is a terrific organization, but those here who are pointing to them as being better than the Pats because they won the Super Bowl last year should beware: Green Bay was one upset Tampa Bay loss to Detroit last December from missing the playoffs entirely in 2010. What would they be saying about them now if Tampa Bay had won that game and made the playoffs instead of GB?

Never, ever discount the good luck factor. It matters these days in the NFL, because talent-wise, the top teams are very evenly matched in most cases.

Sections
Shortcuts