Now we will find out exactly how good Peyton Manning is.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Now we will find out exactly how good Peyton Manning is.

Anthony Gonzalaz went down in yesterdays game and will be out for a couple of weeks. This will be the first time in I dont know when that Peyton Manning wont have at least 2 1st round picks at WR. He used to have Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne for years and then whan Marv started to slip a little they drafted Gonzalaz in the 1st round as a replacement. So now he has Wayne and a bunch of young guys people dont know much about and I am very interested to see how he does with these guys catching the ball. We know that for years Brady had to win with a patch work WR core and he made his WRs better and I would now like to see how Manning can do in this kind of situation. Given he still has Wayne who is not to be over looked but still how do you guys think Manning will do with less then steller WR play? If that is in fact the case.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickDesper. Show RickDesper's posts

Re: Now we will find out exactly how good Peyton Manning is.

He's still got Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark.  I wouldn't go feeling sorry for him quite yet. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The Colts were underwhelming is victory yesterday -- as they so often are -- but the fact of the matter is that the Colts are one of those teams that seems to eke out victories even when they do not play well. It's not Manning's receivers who will determine how successful that team can be, but the offensive line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

Yeah, Manning's previous performance is meaningless because he did not face the adversity of injury to WRs.  Whatever rationalizations gets you through the day pal.  Is it going to be more difficult sure, but that takes away absolutely nothing from what he has previosuly done. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I have had him the last four seasons as my fantasy QB. He is still better than most in that area, but I have noticed his digits declining as Harrison declined. I would expect a rocky start to the beginning, but he will finish with very good overall numbers. The era of the record breaking Manning, however, has been over for a few seasons . . . since they broke up the Manning, Stokely, Wayne, Harrison, Edge, Clark offense, which will go down as one of the most prolific groups ever. Right up there with Young, Rice, Taylor, Young. The point is that even without Gonzo he still has more recieving weapons than all but two or three QBs. Clark, Wayne, Addai is a very nice haul, enough to really hurt some weaker defenses.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

I have Reche Caldwell's phone number you think they want it.  Let's see how Gomer does with him at WR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Nice Thread Tas -

Since Draft position is the basis of your defining excellence:

1.  Brady must be a stiff. 
    2.  same with Welker
    3.  Since Brady has been in the league following are the draft position of some of the guys who've been on the roster for him to throw to since he has played (2008 left out) :  

1st Rd -
      Antowain Smith
      Terry Glenn
      Daniel Graham
      JJ Stokes
      Ben Watson
      Laurence Maroney
      Dante Stallworth
      Randy Moss
      Kyle Brady
    2nd Rd -
      Marc Edwards
      Kevin Faulk
      Rod Rutledge
      Deion Branch
      Bert Emanuel
      Christian Fauria
      Cam Cleeland
      Mike Cloud
      Bethel Johnson
      Corey Dillon
      Andre Davis
      Chad Jackson
      Reche Caldwell
      Jabar Gaffney
    3rd Round -
      5 more

Now if any of you have problems with these players then your problem isn't whether or not P Manning can function with less than 1st round players, but the pats personnel brain trust where receivers are concerned. 

By the way - Manning had what I would consider a poor game yesterday hitting over 70% of his passes and 300+ yds.  He had 3 really bad balls - 1 that was intercepted and 2 more that should have been.  And I don't think (although I don't know) that the 2 that weren't intercepted were receiver errors. 

A better question might be: why can't brady develop receivers like Manning can. 

Here's a list of Mannings other significant ball catchers through the years.

torrence small - 5th rd - 3rd wr - 1 yr
    Terrence Wilkens - undrafted - 2nd wr - 2 yrs; 3rd wr - 1 yr
    Ken Dilger - 2nd rd - #1 TE - 3 yrs
    Marcus Pollard - undrafted - #1 TE - 4 yrs
    Jerome Pathon - 2nd receiver - 2nd rd - 1 yr
    Dominic Rhodes - undrafted - #1 rb - 2 yrs
    Qadry Ismail - 2nd rd - 3rd wr - 1 yr
    Troy Walters - 5th rd - 3rd wr - 1 yr
    Brandon Stokely - 4th rd - 3rd wr - 2 yrs
    Ben Utecht - undrafted - #1 TE - 1 yr
    Bryan Fletcher - 6th round 3rd WR - 2 yrs

This just lets you know that Manning has been special even without just 1st rd picks.  The other thing it lets you know is that Manning (other than Harrison) has developed great pass catchers.

Sections
Shortcuts